PDA

View Full Version : What Ubuntu Can Learn From Google Chromebook

Fedz
May 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Just seen this from a tweet - gotta post it :D

What Ubuntu Can Learn From Google Chromebook (http://www.muktware.com/blogs/12/2011/1147).
Source: http://muktware.com

beew
May 14th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Well said, good read. Thanks for the link. I hope someone in Canonical gets the message.

hartl_vienna
May 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM
+1

cgroza
May 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
That post made me very optimistic, which is a good thing.

dniMretsaM
May 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Good read! I might have to try out Chromium OS eventually. I personally think Conical should switch to KDE and put GNOME on derivative. I mean, how many threads do you see that are titled "I Hate KDE" as opposed to threads called "I Hate Unity"? It can also be good for netbooks IMO. Small auto-hiding sidebar with all your important apps and a cascading menu (not default anymore) that doesn't take up much room. The applications are a big thing too. If you can't see the buttons, it's pretty hard to use them. Learn from this Canonical!!!

marl30
May 14th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed reading that article. If you ask me, I think the new era of Linux for the desktop rest with Google and their OS than Canonical.

nrundy
May 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I disagree that users don't care about app indicators etc. I think the work that has been done in developing the Status Menu Indicators, future Windicators, OSdisplay, the new Unity Launcher/Taskbar, etc. have significantly improved the use of Ubuntu. In fact, when using Windows at work I always miss these "ubuntu creations."

But I agree that focus needs to also be on ensuring that quality apps are available.

Johnsie
May 15th, 2011, 01:06 AM
how many threads do you see that are titled "I Hate KDE" as opposed to threads called "I Hate Unity"?

Mostly posted by a small, but vocal group of people. You'll see the same few users appearing again and again in these threads. There are better ways to contribute to Open Source.

I enjoyed the read... I'm going for a 'wait and see' approach to the chromebook. It might take off and it might not. Not all Google projects have turned out to be successful. If they can mix it in with the Android apps then they might do ok.

If Ubuntu supported Android apps (without the emulator) then Ubuntu would be alot better too.

wojox
May 15th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Errr, yah. Chromebook is built on Ubuntu. How can you compare a web browser to a complete operating system?

sammiev
May 15th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I tried KDE on the kids laptop 8 months a go and really enjoyed it. The only reason I took it off as I wanted their laptop the same as mine. I will likely try it very soon again. GL :) For me it's Gnome at this time. Thanks for the great read! :)

smellyman
May 15th, 2011, 02:28 AM
i have my browser full screen right now and am pretending it's a chromebook. I have to admit, it is amazing.....

Thewhistlingwind
May 15th, 2011, 02:31 AM
i have my browser full screen right now and am pretending it's a chromebook. I have to admit, it is amazing.....

Isn't it? :popcorn:

tjeremiah
May 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Errr, yah. Chromebook is built on Ubuntu. How can you compare a web browser to a complete operating system?

as it stands right now, I think Google is going to fail hard with these expensive chromebooks.

benc1213
May 15th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Thats what a lot of people said about the ipads. And yet people have been buying those left and right.

tjeremiah
May 15th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Thats what a lot of people said about the ipads. And yet people have been buying those left and right.

those ipads offer a heck of a lot more than these notebooks. You are right about it selling like hot cakes but this chrome thing, I think even the casuals will look at ChromeOS/books and laugh. Google should of priced them at least in the $150-$180 range.

wojox
May 15th, 2011, 05:33 AM
as it stands right now, I think Google is going to fail hard with these expensive chromebooks.

I heard Google has acknowledged that and are currently working on a Chromebook Desktop Edition.