PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Was anyone successful with a Major upgrade from v10.10 to 11.04?

pstein
May 14th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I tried now a couple of times to perform a Major upgrade from v10.10 to the new 11.04

To clarify: I don't want to make a complete new installation but let Ubuntu Update Manager do the Major upgrade.

After downloading all necessary stuff and reboot Ubuntu 11.04 ALWAYS stopped at the grub command line console. v11.04 never reaches the actual GUI.
I have to restore my previous backup of v10.10 to be able to work with Ubuntu again.

Why?

Is it possible at all?

Was anyone successful with a INTERNAL, AUTOMATIC Major upgrade from v10.10 to 11.04?

Peter

lonemangx
May 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I had the same issue but after fixing grub via a livecd it all went well.

teachop
May 14th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Was anyone successful
Yes, I let Update Manager take me from 10.10 to 11.04 on a Dell i7 nvidia laptop (proprietary video driver) and lived to tell the tale. Backed up 100% before though just in case. It came back up running correctly.

pstein
May 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I had the same issue but after fixing grub via a livecd it all went well.

What EXACTLY have you fixed in grub?
What did you entered/modified in which file?

lonemangx
May 14th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I used this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows) to recover grub.

blroth
May 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Much to my surprise and amazement, the upgrade worked perfectly. I was quite hesitant after reading of all the mishaps and disasters, but
I did the upgrade on Wednesday. I had been using Ubuntu since Breezy (5.10) and this was the first time I needed to do absolutely nothing after the upgrade and reboot. I am running Win XP (don't know why), 10.04, and learning how to use Natty. Unity is definitely a major change and will take some time to get used to it. Over the past few years, I always kept a LTS version as a daily OS and installed the newest on a separate drive. I did back up 10.10 and would have done a clean install if I encountered major problems. Fortunately all is perfect and everything works! There is hope!!

vanadium
May 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I normally do and recommend a fresh install to upgrade. However, I was eager to experience Unity and at some moment, I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 beta. This worked very well.

I also upgraded an old Pentium desktop to xubuntu 11.04.

GeeLo
May 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I also upgraded an old Pentium desktop to xubuntu 11.04.

What kind of Pentium desktop? Pentium 4 ?

PapaGary
May 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Was anyone successful with a Major upgrade from v10.10 to 11.04?

ME! I was struggling with 10.10 on my dual boot 64 bit Toshiba laptop trying get the wireless to work when I noticed that 11.04 was out. I upgraded through ethernet and when I booted it back up not only did the wireless work but the sound did too!

I am a happy man.