PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is keeping NTFS hard drive still worth it?

SiGabse2984
May 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Hi,

It's been about three days since I've made Ubuntu my OS and I'm quite surprised to see, when I tried it first via wubi, that it actually reads NTFS partitions.

It made backing up easy for me though now is it still alright that I still keep them NTFS or should I now start converting them to ext4? Except for my external hard drive.

and what's the difference with ext3 and ext4? I was shown these options when I tried formatting my hard drive.

Formatting question:

My other hard drive has two partitions which was done when I installed windows a few years back..If I would to reformat should I combine these partitions into one and make new partitions via that?

Thanks

wilee-nilee
May 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM

SiGabse2984
May 14th, 2011, 07:43 AM
So it is alright? I'm worried that somewhat later files in my NTFS might become unreadable to ubuntu or that there would be problems like files getting corrupted easily and the sorts..

If so then there's no need to reformat then.

wilee-nilee
May 14th, 2011, 08:04 AM
So it is alright? I'm worried that somewhat later files in my NTFS might become unreadable to ubuntu or that there would be problems like files getting corrupted easily and the sorts..

If so then there's no need to reformat then.

If you are running a wubi as it seems it is a file inside of windows, if you remove windows you will remove the wubi=Ubuntu.

Your post is to fragmented to really under stand the setup you have to be honest now that I look closer, post a screen shot of a partitioner. No big deal I just don't want to misinform you.;)

I removed my first post it was not correct we need to know more.

SiGabse2984
May 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM
How do I get a screen shot of my partitions with ubuntu?

At first I tried ubuntu via wubi now I'm using Ubuntu fully..no windows installed anymore.

I have three HDs:

a 80 gb, using ext4, which was formatted for ubuntu, my primary disk. Other than Ubuntu it contains all the programs I'm using for ubuntu.

a 300 gb which has two partitions divided equally, both partitions are in NTFS

and a 500 gb NTFS. Basically just storage.