PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Ubuntu ship with Sugar?

Legendary_Bibo
May 14th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Not the sweet white sand stuff, I'm talking about this (http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=gallery&page=media_01) It looks pretty advanced and easy to use.

slooksterpsv
May 14th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Not the sweet white sand stuff, I'm talking about this (http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=gallery&page=media_01) It looks pretty advanced and easy to use.

Because Ubuntu comes with Unity now, they started out as Gnome and then moved to Unity. Sugar, while neat, isn't proper as a Desktop Environment for normal users/professionals.

You can install Sugar if you'd like, just search the software center for it.

NormanFLinux
May 14th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Sugar is great if you have kids. You can set it up for them on a USB stick.

Dustin2128
May 14th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Ugh, it's worse than unity!

Bandit
May 14th, 2011, 07:01 AM
LOL My daughter would never use Sugar interface.. LOL
She 5 and gets around on her netbook with WinXP just fine.
She plays games on Nickjr.com as much as she wants and never ask for help to do anything.
IMHO, dumbing down the interface will just make dumber kids.

Thewhistlingwind
May 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Point taken. Do you have anything other then trolling to do around here?

(Also, we get it, unity sucks.)

Legendary_Bibo
May 14th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Point taken. Do you have anything other then trolling to do around here?

(Also, we get it, unity sucks.)

Hmmm...I question your reading skills because if you'll look at my post I never once mentioned Unity. I just saw it and thought it could be a cool interface, and I know Ubuntu is going for the whole simplicity thing.

Legendary_Bibo
May 14th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Because Ubuntu comes with Unity now, they started out as Gnome and then moved to Unity. Sugar, while neat, isn't proper as a Desktop Environment for normal users/professionals.

You can install Sugar if you'd like, just search the software center for it.

I wanted to try building my own custom distro as a project during summer and I had planned on making it Ubuntu based so perhaps an Ubuntu-Sugar distro would be nice.

slooksterpsv
May 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I wanted to try building my own custom distro as a project during summer and I had planned on making it Ubuntu based so perhaps an Ubuntu-Sugar distro would be nice.

That would be good for well... young computer users, but I don't see any power for those that work with serious programs. Maybe I need to try it to see how it would be effective. =D

satanselbow
May 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Sugar fills a very niche market / user base so isn't really something you would want to see bulking out the ISO by default would you?

It is available as an option - as are numerous other DE / GUI... no implied sideways Unity bashing required ;)

ki4jgt
May 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Already done! I ran into it about a year or two ago. I think it was based on Ubuntu 9.10. Back then it wasn't upgradable to 10.04, b/c of some "hula" sounding package which was no longer in the repos. They just now got it fixed in the last Ubuntu release, so the team will probably release an updated version.

Legendary_Bibo
May 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
That would be good for well... young computer users, but I don't see any power for those that work with serious programs. Maybe I need to try it to see how it would be effective. =D

I tried it out, I don't see how it's even intuitive with kids. It's just too different, and confusing. I was lost in the UI, but it's really nice looking.

Johnsie
May 15th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Apologies to the OP, it was completely unneccesary for people to hijack this thread and talk troll unity fans. The Ubuntu community used to be better than that.

Sugar is a good interface for kids, but I'm not sure it would be suitable for office use at this stage. It is possible to run Sugar off a usb stick or install it on a computer, but I'm not sure it would be totally compatible with Ubuntu.