PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Absolutly Love Unity but don't try to teach with it !

truck87bp
May 14th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I use my 10" Asus 1000HE to volunteer teach since 2007 to a 55+ member Computer Club with a supplied (new) overhead projector. Unity was unusable with the projector and the class had to watch Windows xp Yyoutube movies about Ubuntu Unity. Needless to say everyone understood the frustration level that I was experiencing but asked if I could go back to the previous release of Ubuntu.

How do you explain to new Ubuntu users that this Unity Package is so GREAT but yet they can't really watch it in action while asking questions? EEEbuntu will be going back on the netbook until the team gets this dual monitor problem resolved.

This really sucks because I love the new Unity Package and will miss it.

When Canonical officially fixes the problem in an announcement, I will gladly return to Unity on my little Netbook in a second because its really is nice if you turn off the auto hide bar option.:(

jawilljr
May 14th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I don't understand why Unity wouldn't work with a projector...a projector it's just a monitor. What input were you using with the projector?.

Jerry

sectshun8
May 14th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I don't understand why Unity wouldn't work with a projector...a projector it's just a monitor. What input were you using with the projector?.

Jerry

Jerry apparently you've missed quite a few threads like THIS ONE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1751829) :)

Seems lots of folks are having issues after updting to 11.04 with either Natty just not recognizing the second monitor, or by just really strange effects happening that make the secod monitor useless.

My personally, I can hook up a second monitor and extend my desktop, but when I do, my bg disappears... however everything else seems to function correctly.

truck87bp
May 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM
My Asus has an Intel Graphics chip that gives priority to the second monitor or projector and all I can use is a 800x600 screen which resets my netbook also to 800x600 and this defeats the whole purpose of Unity on a Netbook. 4:3 screen doesn't cut the mustard.

mikewhatever
May 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM
What makes you think Unity was the problem? I'd rather suspect the updated version of xserver or the graphics driver.
PS: Anyway, if you have time constrains and don't feel like waiting forever, file a bug report.

eltonw
May 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM
My Asus has an Intel Graphics chip that gives priority to the second monitor or projector and all I can use is a 800x600 screen which resets my netbook also to 800x600 and this defeats the whole purpose of Unity on a Netbook. 4:3 screen doesn't cut the mustard.

Regrettably you can't have your cake and eat it too. For 1024 x 768 or 16:9 you will have to disable the laptop monitor and use the tv screen / projector as both your main screen and 'monitor'. Previously, I used to be able to connect my Samsung 32" LCD TV to my Asus EEE 1000 PC netbook and run both at the above resolution. (This was with Karmic Kola).

It seems that the drivers with Natty Narwhl do not support this.
/REM: of course [with Karmic] the minute I disconnect the netbook, the display would revert to 1024 X 600 (the highest supported by the netbook's screen).

HTH

mcduck
May 14th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I use my 10" Asus 1000HE to volunteer teach since 2007 to a 55+ member Computer Club with a supplied (new) overhead projector. Unity was unusable with the projector and the class had to watch Windows xp Yyoutube movies about Ubuntu Unity. Needless to say everyone understood the frustration level that I was experiencing but asked if I could go back to the previous release of Ubuntu.

How do you explain to new Ubuntu users that this Unity Package is so GREAT but yet they can't really watch it in action while asking questions? EEEbuntu will be going back on the netbook until the team gets this dual monitor problem resolved.

This really sucks because I love the new Unity Package and will miss it.

When Canonical officially fixes the problem in an announcement, I will gladly return to Unity on my little Netbook in a second because its really is nice if you turn off the auto hide bar option.:(
What kind of problems were you having with it? It would be easier to solve them if we knew what happened...

Anyway, I can't really see ow Unity would cause any problems that would prevent you from using a second display. If you are having resolution problems or such, that would be related to graphics drivers.

And if it's just about not being able to move windows to the second display, that's not because of Unity, but the Grid plugin for Compiz. Just disable that (with CompizConfig Settings Manager) or set it to activate on window corners instead of the whole left & right edges and you shouldn't have any problems moving windows between monitors.

truck87bp
May 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
What kind of problems were you having with it? It would be easier to solve them if we knew what happened...

Anyway, I can't really see ow Unity would cause any problems that would prevent you from using a second display. If you are having resolution problems or such, that would be related to graphics drivers.

And if it's just about not being able to move windows to the second display, that's not because of Unity, but the Grid plugin for Compiz. Just disable that (with CompizConfig Settings Manager) or set it to activate on window corners instead of the whole left & right edges and you shouldn't have any problems moving windows between monitors.

Intel Graphics 950 that worked just fine with EEEbuntu 3.0

I fired up 11.04 with projector on and it allowed me to login and when Unity started, the Netbook shut off immediately. That was an OH s%$T moment. I tried again and same thing happened.
I rebooted into xp home, logged in and windows shut down immediately. I unhook the netbook and and fired up an old laptop. After I got home, I hooked up to my HD TV and everything seemed to work fine in XP not 11.04 or not on the 24" monitor.
I am currently using unity hooked up to my 24" monitor and Netbook only works in 800x600 screen mode with "same image on both monitors" checked. This only happened after I turned off the Grid plugin. Thanks for that tip.

Question #1: Can I copy the conf file from an EEEbuntu installation and add it to the unity install? No problems with EEEbuntu.

Question #2: Has anyone tried to Install 11.04 with a monitor hooked up to the netbook during installation to see if both were picked up and installed properly?

Thanks for the help.:) P.S. I have 2 weeks before my next class to use Unity and will continue to seek solutions.

mysoogal
May 20th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Unity has cased large number of users to turn away from ubuntu, the developers are really crazy for pushing this stupid idea:guitar: