PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Window in Foreground is White

chichiri47
May 14th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Sometimes when I have two or more windows open, the window in the foreground will be white, or blank. This most notably happens when I have Firefox and LibreOffice open in the same desktop. The window in the background is clearly visible, and when I right click on the window in the foreground, a normal context menu comes up. This also sometimes happens when there is only one window on a desktop.

I have played on and off with ubuntu over the years, and am currently using 11.04 on an older HP with an Athlon 64 chip. You may consider my background knowledge of the system to be one step above nil. I'm happy to provide any system info you may want, but you'll likely have to tell me how to obtain it. Thanks in advance.

chichiri47
May 14th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Update: The text and images in the window in the foreground return if I resize that window to a smaller size -- there doesn't seem to be a set amount for when it is restored, but usually it has to be small enough so that the horizontal scroll bar appears.

Please, I would appreciate help with this.

wildmanne39
May 14th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Update: The text and images in the window in the foreground return if I resize that window to a smaller size -- there doesn't seem to be a set amount for when it is restored, but usually it has to be small enough so that the horizontal scroll bar appears.

Hi, I had the same problem it was the nvidia driver I was using with my graphics card. If you have a nvidia card you need to use the restricted 173 driver and not the current driver until they get it working properly.:)

wildmanne39
May 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Also when this problem is solved please go to the top of the page and under thread tools mark it solved, thank you.

Frogs Hair
May 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hi, I had the same problem it was the nvidia driver I was using with my graphics card. If you have a nvidia card you need to use the restricted 173 driver and not the current driver until they get it working properly.:)

sorry

chichiri47
May 14th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Okay, for those who might have the same problem in future, I went to System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers, un-activated the current, "recommended" driver for NVIDIA, and activated version 173. I then restarted. After some hours, the problem has not recurred.

Many thanks indeed! ):P

wildmanne39
May 14th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Okay, for those who might have the same problem in future, I went to System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers, un-activated the current, "recommended" driver for NVIDIA, and activated version 173. I then restarted. After some hours, the problem has not recurred.

Many thanks indeed! ):P

You are very welcome, I am glad that fixed your problem.):P