PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64-bit Upgrade Advice

olwe
May 14th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Where can I find out whether a certain piece of software, etc. is available and healthy on U11.04-64-bit? I'm running 10.04-32bit now and would like to reinstall with 11.04-64bit. I have an Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz chip with 4GB of RAM. Most important are development tools, starting with Emacs. Is this a scavenger hunt where I have to look up anything and everything I want, or is it simpler that that?

Slim Odds
May 14th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Where can I find out whether a certain piece of software, etc. is available and healthy on U11.04-64-bit? I'm running 10.04-32bit now and would like to reinstall with 11.04-64bit. I have an Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz chip with 4GB of RAM. Most important are development tools, starting with Emacs. Is this a scavenger hunt where I have to look up anything and everything I want, or is it simpler that that?

There is still a great fear of 64 bit that goes back to an era long, long ago.

Unless you have some really strange hardware you should be just fine. Simple software like Emacs will be fine. If you run into a problem, this is the place to get a solution.

Also, you can play with stuff like Emacs using the Live CD.

oldos2er
May 14th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I think you can count on one hand the apps that don't have a 64-bit version; acroread, Skype, for example. There is a 64-bit version of flash available from Adobe, but it's not yet in the repositories.

You can check at packages.ubuntu.com

Slim Odds
May 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I think you can count on one hand the apps that don't have a 64-bit version; acroread, Skype, for example. There is a 64-bit version of flash available from Adobe, but it's not yet in the repositories.

You can check at packages.ubuntu.com

And like many other 64 bit OS's, it will still run 32 bit applications. Sometimes there is a little work involved, sometimes not.