PDA

View Full Version : Unity slagging threads

gigaSproule
May 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
How come there are so many threads complaining about how bad Unity is, rather than offering useful advice? I know Unity isn't great, but in my opinion, Gnome 3 is a lot worse and Unity has the potential to be quite good. The only bad thing in my opinion is the lack of easy, quick navigation for beginners. As a reasonably quick keyboard user, I find applications quite quickly by typing, however I know that my mum would find it a lot more difficult and longer. It's not organised and looks absolutely useless.

My only improvement request is to make the menu organised!

LowSky
May 14th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I miss the days when everyone didn't want to use a keyboard, the idea ws GUI for everything... now with Unity... the keyboard is again important.

Gnome 3's gnome-shell is much better than Unity in many ways. Except both have a horrible dock and application menu.

Gnome 3 no effects mode is actually pretty nice. Sure it isn't customizable but its simple and easy to use.

screaminj3sus
May 14th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Unity is awesome except these two things:
The dash. To put it simply it kind of sucks. Don't get me wrong I do find it very useful for searching (hit super key type hit enter) but if you ever find yourself navigating through it with the mouse its just one of the worst UI designs I have ever seen. They need to ditch the whole "apps for download" crap and reorganize it. Gnome-shell is far superior in this area.

Configuration. Having no configuration app for unity by default is just poor design.

gigaSproule
May 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I will have to admit here that my only experience of Gnome 3 was on a Virtual Machine, so it was almost unusable, for some reason. But ignoring the speed, I don't like not having an area to hide my programs, but I'm sure I could get used to it.

Gnome 3 still doesn't have a usable menu. It's a LOT harder for new people to find things. If you don't know that your Word application is called Writer instead of Word, you can't just type it. It's great for us who know these things, but this is a HUGE leap backwards for Ubuntu and GNOME in general.

Surely the default for the desktop version should be a menu in the same way as before in some sort of way with the text input. Whereas it has this menu for a touch screen version, because that is what it seems to be aimed at.

neu5eeCh
May 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I've seen lots criticism, but I've also seen much useful constructive criticism. Wouldn't agree with you that it's all been one-sided. Criticism is naturally controversial, so users discuss and debate such comments much more than what is praised. Hopefully, the powers-that-be are reading some of the criticism.

gigaSproule
May 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Maybe it's just my bad searching then. I've only seen negative criticism without any improvement feedback.

I agree with hoping that the people who can influence change are reading these feedback posts.

Hyporeal
May 14th, 2011, 05:31 PM
My only improvement request is to make the menu organised!

Right-click on "Applications" in the launcher to get the familiar categories.

The Dash is okay for quick keyboard searches, but the rest is redundant.

Edit: The rest of the Dash is redundant, not the rest of Unity.

boydrice
May 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I've seen lots criticism, but I've also seen much useful constructive criticism. Wouldn't agree with you that it's all been one-sided. Criticism is naturally controversial, so users discuss and debate such comments much more than what is praised. Hopefully, the powers-that-be are reading some of the criticism.

Developers are not going to read through threads of complaints to influence their project. If anyone wants to be "heard" they should file bug reports/feature enhancements with the respective project. That is your best bet to be heard by the "powers to be" so to speak. Endless forum threads of complaints or ideas will accomplish very little. People need to insert themselves in the development process.

Smilax
May 14th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Developers are not going to read through threads of complaints to influence their project. If anyone wants to be "heard" they should file bug reports/feature enhancements with the respective project. That is your best bet to be heard by the "powers to be" so to speak. Endless forum threads of complaints or ideas will accomplish very little. People need to insert themselves in the development process.

people have tried, the de'vs are of playing with their toys and won't share,

i don't think they'll listen untill another DE or distro get's all the action. and they all get sacked.

Johnsie
May 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
This is a recurring discussion... Isn't there supposed to be a unity mega thread for this? The same people seem to keep appearing again and again in different threads about the same thing.

Smilax
May 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
This is a recurring discussion... Isn't there supposed to be a unity mega thread for this? The same people seem to keep appearing again and again in different threads about the same thing.

no no no, threads slagging unity are a recurring discussion,
this is a thread about threads slagging unity, :popcorn: