PDA

View Full Version : Gnome-do Abandoned

kainalu
May 13th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Hello All,

Just wondering, has Gnome-Do been abandoned? no new updates in two years and the Recent Changes wiki appears to be full of spam.
http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/Special:Recentchanges

Feels like a ghost town...

Quadunit404
May 13th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Looks like it's time for Synapse to take over.

Sure, it doesn't have all the same plugins that Do has yet, but it does have a "Do-ish" theme for those who just <3 the appearance of GD and eventually will get all the same plugins that Do has.

I use Synapse and I love it.

jerrrys
May 13th, 2011, 11:44 PM
its still in synaptic, is that good ?

NightwishFan
May 13th, 2011, 11:59 PM
If it is in the repositories that means it has a maintainer for the Ubuntu packaging. So the version in the repos should work fine. If it is not in use upstream it may eventually be dropped though.

wilee-nilee
May 14th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I use synapse and i love it.

+1

Rasa1111
May 14th, 2011, 12:20 AM
+1

+2

LowSky
May 14th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Why do you need gnome-do?

Unity and gnome-shell basically use a built in version...

cgroza
May 14th, 2011, 12:36 AM
It is open source, maybe someone will take over. Shame such a good application stopped developing.

cbowman57
May 14th, 2011, 01:19 AM

I use Synapse, the functionality in Unity & Gnome shell isn't near the same. I can hit my menu key, type 2 or 3 characters & I have what I want based on frequency of use. What they have is basically the equivalent of mint menu or cardapio. Nothing wrong with that, but gnome-do, synapse, kupfer are better.

screaminj3sus
May 14th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Synapse is superior to gnome-do anyway. Great program. In 11.04 I just use the dash.

kainalu
May 14th, 2011, 02:43 AM

Still on Maverick for the time being, and do not intend on using G3 or Unity, becuause they are far, FAR too restrictive in use and visual style. I will wait for them to mature a little. I use no toolbars or icons, just an autohide docky and GD for all my DT management.

I just tried Synapse, and the only gripe I have is about the folders not showing. I cannot type in TV or Movies and have it jump to those folders. I hear it is a temporary bug (supposed to work already), so Synapse it is for me. Thanks for the advice, Community

Jesus_Valdez
May 14th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I use Synapse, the functionality in Unity & Gnome shell isn't near the same. I can hit my menu key, type 2 or 3 characters & I have what I want based on frequency of use. What they have is basically the equivalent of mint menu or cardapio. Nothing wrong with that, but gnome-do, synapse, kupfer are better.
Have you tried Unity?

Because as far as I know it uses Zeitgeist, which should arrive to Gnome Shell in time for 11.10

Point being, they will be no different that Synapse, except for the plugins, that is.

cbowman57
May 14th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Have you tried Unity?

Because as far as I know it uses Zeitgeist, which should arrive to Gnome Shell in time for 11.10

Point being, they will be no different that Synapse, except for the plugins, that is.

Yes, I've used Unity but have grown attached to Gnome 3.0, it's just more comfortable for the way I use the desktop. Zeitgeist does make quite a difference, which is why I also prefer Synapse over the other choices.

I just like to see everyone maximize the potential of whatever desktop they choose to use. There are plenty to go around. :)

For me, gnome shell + synapse just flows, I don't even have to think about it but I realize people have different preferences & requirements to enhance their experience with Linux.

Gracias amigo, I value your $.02.