PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity menu is in my way

wmdvanzyl
May 13th, 2011, 10:08 PM
The Unitt meny that pops up on the left gets in my way when i try to move items around using the file manager. It is already set to only appear when i move my mouse to the top left corner, but this seems to get ignored when moving items around. It's as if Unity says "Hey - i see you are moving stuff - would you like to drop that on me?" I really want to drop it into the bookmark behind you so please get out of the way.

Any help? Also, where can i get more customisation control over the menus?

drs305
May 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Install compizconfig-settings-manager

Take a look at the Unity Plugin.

Then open ccsm (Type compiz in Dash and it will appear):
Desktop Section; Ubuntu Unity Plugin > Hide Launcher: Dodge Windows will force the Launcher to get out of the way of open Windows. I don't think it will do what you are looking for, but perhaps one of the other options will.

mc4man
May 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM
The Unitt meny that pops up on the left gets in my way when i try to move items around using the file manager. It is already set to only appear when i move my mouse to the top left corner, but this seems to get ignored when moving items around. It's as if Unity says "Hey - i see you are moving stuff - would you like to drop that on me?" I really want to drop it into the bookmark behind you so please get out of the way.

That is a 'feature' with no way presently to disable (launcher unhide with cursor object grab and move
The deal about dropping onto a places listing with the launcher exposed has come up before, while not ideal it does not prevent you from doing so.
The drop area extends the width of the sidebar and the launcher doesn't cover the whole area (even when set to 64 px icons which is unlikely

Did file a bug on that feature should be user configurable - we'll see, likely not in natty if ever

Edit: here's the bug if you wish to chime in - as seen not confirmed or much of an issue
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/776669

drs305
May 14th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Also under the Ubuntu Unity Plugin settings, if you select the 'Experimental' tab you can at least shrink the size of the Launcher icons so they don't take up quite as much screen space.

wmdvanzyl
May 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Thank you for the responses. I installed compiz-config and it did help to alleviate the problem slightly. I will play around with it some more. I recently switched to Ubuntu from Gentoo (and KDE mind you, so Gnome is new too) and although i was pleasantly surprised by the ease of use, the newer changes are alarming to me. I feel more and more disconnected from the software on my machine and feel less and less in control over the experience.

Maybe its temporary and maybe it is the beginning of the end for what is in my opinion the greatest OS (broad definition) available today.

[edit] I only now discover that Unity is not Gnome. Interesting. Switched back to Gnome and left Unity to grow up just a little bit more before i have a look again.