PDA

View Full Version : Error: cannot open display: 0: When opening any GTK application from the Terminal

mlupton
May 13th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hello, for awhile I have had this issue with the command line and every time I try to complete any command that requires GTK graphics, It always returns the error "Error: cannot open display: 0:" The "EXPORT display" command that I normally use to fix this issue is not working. The only issue that I can think might be the cause for this could be my upgrade to natty (which was in fact a clean installation), or when I edited plymouth so that the startup and shutdown animations would match my laptop's native resolution (by the way I would also appreciate it if I could do the same with the startup animation, only the shutdown really works). If anybody know how I could resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Oh and for specifics on my machine, I am using an ASUS N82 with an NVIDIA GEFORCE GT335M graphics card, running Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. Thanks in advance for any help you may or may not provide.

mlupton
May 17th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Please, Anyone? D:

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Hello, for awhile I have had this issue with the command line and every time I try to complete any command that requires GTK graphics, It always returns the error "Error: cannot open display: 0:" The "EXPORT display" command that I normally use to fix this issue is not working. The only issue that I can think might be the cause for this could be my upgrade to natty (which was in fact a clean installation), or when I edited plymouth so that the startup and shutdown animations would match my laptop's native resolution (by the way I would also appreciate it if I could do the same with the startup animation, only the shutdown really works). If anybody know how I could resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Oh and for specifics on my machine, I am using an ASUS N82 with an NVIDIA GEFORCE GT335M graphics card, running Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. Thanks in advance for any help you may or may not provide.

Hi, I can tell you for my nvidia card I have to run the 173 driver or I have serious issues, but I am not sure your card uses the same one. I can not use the current one, also there is a bug report with fixes for nvidia cards, what I mentioned above is the fix for mine and it might be for yours. I hope this helps.):P

mlupton
June 7th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I actually tried running the 173 Driver a little while ago, but the issue with that was that I couldn't even login to my computer after doing that. When I reverted back to the "current driver" my computer began to work again (I had to do all of this in low-graphics safe mode). I'm not sure if anyone's had any luck with this, but it is certainly irritating me.