PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New ThinkPad x100e (need advice)

Guitar John
May 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I just bought two of these little guys for my wife and I from the Lenovo Outlet (http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/thinkpad/x-series.html). Not the latest and the greatest hardware, but the price was hard to beat. Specs are:
AMDŽ Athlon™ Neo MV-40 (1.60GHz, 512KB L2)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 32 - English
250GB, 5400RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory
11.6” WXGA HD 1366 X 768 LED, W/ 0.3 MP Camera
ATI™ Radeon™ HD 2200

I going to leave Win7 on my wife's and dual boot. For my own, in the past I have always wiped Windows and run straight Ubuntu. However, I'm thinking in terms of updating the BIOS and other things I may not have thought of which may be compelling reasons to leave Win7 on and dual-boot. FWIW, they didn't include an install disk, so once Windows is gone, it's GONE.

I'm running Natty (AMD64) from a USB drive and all of the hardware works flawlessly. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

juliobahar
June 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
well here are some things, I hope will come to your appeal

1- Since you are still using the huge HDD, you might think of partitioning it and installing ubuntu on the free partition. Using a Live CD USB flash for day-to-day use has a handful of limitations.

2- I would seriously advice you not to use ubuntu 11.04 for the time being I'm having drastic performance slowness, chopping and stuttering, with heavy CPU burden. I was happier with 10.10 than 11.04.

3- Yes, if you are in need for M$ windows 7, then I would recommend keeping it on your system. Although having it just for bios updates and hardware tweaking isn't really necessary. I was able to update the bios using an external CDROM with the bootable version of the bios .iso file on a RW-CDROM

4-Btw if deleted your windows 7, and thought of reinstalling it later, there are no worries since you have your genuine windows label with your serial no. stuck on your laptop. You can use any windows Home Premium CD with that serial no. and you will be ready to set off again.

I'm still trying to improve my X100e awful performance but so for to no avail. Will update you, I hope, once I find a clue.

wolfen69
June 30th, 2011, 08:06 PM
2- I would seriously advice you not to use ubuntu 11.04 for the time being I'm having drastic performance slowness, chopping and stuttering, with heavy CPU burden. I was happier with 10.10 than 11.04.

Are you suggesting everyone is having this issue? I can assure you most people do not.