PDA

View Full Version : Unity problems - resolved and almost

Gstrazds
May 13th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Hi There Just upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 Unity

The other day my unity desktop self destructed; menus launchers all gone.
The folders and Icons where all that remained in the space.

The user defined workspace was also in the same condition and currently not fixable...

The Ubuntu Classic workspace was not effected.

You can change from Unity to Classic by clicking on the login box; proceed to log in almost; then look down at the bottom of the screen where you will see a drop down list

- by clicking on that you get four choices; Unity, Classic, Classic -no effects, user defined
- gleaned from a fellow that did a how to with pictures.. lost the reference

The self destructed unity desktop was resolved by placing a control center icon on the classic desktop - opening the compiz settings in Unity - restoring defaults to regain all the menus and the side bar... Playing with contradictory options resulted in a I give up mode.. which is happening in the user defined version which I did not touch.

The second problem is or was related to Video.. Nvidia Geforce 7150 in my case where;

Should you have a bunch of windows open.. the one that is brought to the forefront goes blank - returns to visible after it is sent to the background...????

It seems to be related to ones choice of frame controls and frame borders.

I like ambiance controls and ambiance borders; now it's Dust controls and Dust sand borders.

which so far is not causing the window blanking problem

The Unity Desktop uses Compiz with the defaults settings..

One of the setting I quite like is "rotate Cube" in that settings menu - changing to 4 columns x 1 row click on the lower left corner - on the switcher cubes; rotate cube enabled makes for a really cool workspace switcher environment..

Glenn

Gstrazds
May 26th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hi there The issue regarding the blank frames it turns out is Invidia related..

Increasing the the Video memory in Bios to 128 meg made the problem go away.. which has to do with memory address space.. reported as a bug in pre-release 11.04
although shows up again.. large number of open windows however..

This is a re-statement by fellow posters whom have also had my problems..:confused: