PDA

View Full Version : I don't think the universe wants me to game

Throne777
May 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Is there a god of gaming and if so, how do I ask for forgiveness (even if you don't know what you've done wrong).
So, first Playstation Network goes down leaving me with no online Killzone 3 (currently the only game I have -broke student, I have to trade stuff in to get new games).
Fine, I thought. I'll just try setting up some games on Linux. I get Guild Wars installed. Runs perfectly, except I can't remember the login details & the support staff have cocked it up that even though I've been trying to get access for about three weeks now I still can't login.
OK, fine, I thought. Guild Wars isn't the only game that runs under Wine. So I installed C&C 3. Runs fine except that the online doesn't work, at all. So that's pretty much out (I don't really care for the campaign).
Sigh. OK, what else? Lord Of The Rings Online is now free, I could try that. So I install that to-the-letter as Wine instructs you to on WineHQ. Gold/Platinum rating, so I don't expect any huge issues. Wrong! I get the launcher up and running, and it boots a nice big black screen I can't do anything about. No-one else seems to mention this issue. Great. Another dead end. Grrr.
Fine. Maybe I can get EVE to work. Far as I can tell, it now gets a pretty good rating on Wine. Again, doesn't work at all. Despite following all the instructions, the thing doesn't work.
Ah-Ha! I still have Neverwinter Nights kicking around somewhere, and that has a linux client. Brilliant! So after much faffing around getting all the add ons installed exactly how Bioware instruct me to do it, I get it working perfectly. No complaints, I have a night of gaming, huzzah.
Cue the next day (today). Neverwinter Nights has now decided to not work. I start the game and the frame rate is about 1 frame every 20 seconds. So I can't even plausibly navigate the menu (getting the cursor to 'Exit' takes about 5 minutes). No explanation why.
So clearly I'm cursed. I'm practically running a clean install of 10.04 with the latest version of Wine, with the right graphics drivers and the specs to run all of the games. But no. The universe has spoken, it does not want me to play any games.
Cue much frustration.

Oxwivi
May 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Try some native Linux games, why don't you?

forrestcupp
May 13th, 2011, 07:21 PM

That or reinstall Windows. ;)

You can't expect the gaming god to have mercy on you when you bring it on yourself. :)

el_koraco
May 13th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Go out and get drunk. There's always the 0,5 percent chance you'll get laid.

Dry Lips
May 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I played a lot of games when I was younger, and in retrospect
I think it's amazing how much time I wasted with an activity that
got me nowhere. I could easily have learned Chinese, C++,
or become a virtuosi on the violin (or whatever) during the time
I devoted to playing computer games.

So I recommend you'd listen to the Universe! Trust me, there are
way more rewarding victories to be won than defeating the
Brotherhood of Nob in C&C. ;)

K_45
May 13th, 2011, 10:08 PM

As if it gets you nowhere . . . why would you want limit something entertaining? I hate it when people preach. As if you'd become a virtuoso instead. To the OP I'd build a separate PC for Windows 7 gaming. Best of both worlds.

Zero2Nine
May 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Keep your fingers crossed and launch AisleRiot Solitaire, maybe it'll work :P

Phrea
May 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM

I like those odds !

forrestcupp
May 13th, 2011, 10:49 PM

But gaming builds hand/eye coordination! :)

If you would have learned C++, then you would have programmed games, and you'd still have to play them to test for bugs. ;)

forrestcupp
May 13th, 2011, 10:50 PM

So if you go out 200 times? :)

el_koraco
May 13th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I like those odds !

I've been getting drunk on those odds for years. Not that it did me any good, though, but hope is the last to die.

K_45
May 13th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I've been getting drunk on those odds for years. Not that it did me any good, though, but hope is the last to die.

Why bother with the odds? Just pay and enjoy.:P

Throne777
May 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM

I have Wesnoth & Hedgewars. They're the only ones I've thought are worth playing. Linux gaming is still light years behind the competition. I wouldn't ordinarily use my PC for gaming, I've only been pushing for it recently because PSN is deaded.

The only version of Windows I have to dual boot with is XP x64, and that's as badly supported for gaming as Linux is :P So I'll pass.

Oxwivi
May 15th, 2011, 12:35 PM
We can use 32-bit stuff in 64-bit, can't we?

Throne777
May 15th, 2011, 01:05 PM
We can use 32-bit stuff in 64-bit, can't we?

Depends. On Ubuntu nowadays, almost universally yes. Wasn't always like that (I don't miss the days of not having flash).

I haven't ran XP x64 in a few years now, but when I did there were quite a few games that ran on XP that wouldn't run on the x64 version. On the other hand, you could get FarCry on exceptionally high graphics with absolute ease because it was the only game for ages that came with a 64 bit build.

Timmer1240
May 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Duel boot with XP problem solved Im sure you could pick up a cheap copy on ebay