PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Get !0.10 Desktop Menu Back?

BruisedQuasar07
May 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I absolutely hate the desktop menu system in Ubuntu 11.04. Is it possible to get the desktop menu system I had in 10.4 -10.10?? If so, how?

Thank you

--Briused

kn0w-b1nary
May 13th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Select Ubuntu Classic Desktop while logging into UBUNTU 11.04 desktop. See the screen shot for better understanding.
http://www.techienote.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ubuntu-GNOME-300x214.png (http://www.techienote.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ubuntu-GNOME.png)

Is this what you want?

BruisedQuasar07
May 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Thank you for the reply. How do I get to the point you show in your screen shot? My Thinkpad T60 upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 does not include the boot menu I've always had with any Linux distro. I've always been able to find my way around any Linux distro, until 11.04.

In my Thinkpad Edge upgrade I get a boot menu but I see no way to choose a desktop. I may prove wrong but I think 11.04 Unity Desktop is a big backward step in user friendliness and in trying to get newbies to go Linux. Its like Canonical let the techies take over this version!

--Bruised

VanR
May 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Go to power button and choose Log out. When the Log in screen comes up at the bottom of the screen you can choose Classic. Choose that and sign back in with your password
Or go to System>Administration>Log In Screen and choose Classic.

pannerrammer
May 14th, 2011, 12:30 AM
OK. as you suggest..

After upgrade to 11.04. the only way I can find the 'System' menu is to go to the big 'Applications' button, click the sub-menu on the right, then click System... but Administration isn't a listed option.

Sorry, but the 11.04 mac-alike desktop is a pile of rubbish. Mode-less or Mind-less?

I've been using ubuntu since Warty. This is the first big mistake that Shuttleworth has made (well, that I've noticed, anyway). I hope Centos is still sane.

btolle
May 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I absolutely hate the desktop menu system in Ubuntu 11.04

Thank God, a voice of sanity in an insane desktop! I HATE the Unity desktop garbage. It has taken me a couple of hours of searching to find this page.

Thanks for the picture someone posted or I never would have figured it out.

I don't know whose idea the Unity desktop was but they ought to be horse-whipped for that piece of junk.

Now to figure out how to make the Classic Desktop the default.

BruisedQuasar07
May 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks. I am hearing reactions like my own. What gets me is this. Ubuntu 11.04 did go through beta testing. Who in the heck did the testing? Just techies or did the team just ignore the outrage at the huge desktop change?

I regret I was off guard and so used to Ubuntu common sense in the past that I allowed both of my laptops to be upgraded before I found out what a mess Unity is. We should have been WARNED that we needed a desktop map and manual for the new desktop. It reminds me of Microsoft Windows 2.11!!

Fortunately, I have Puppy 5.25 on USB sticks, so I can use Puppy until I have time to eliminate this retro desktop and reinstall with classic. I find no way short of typing in code to get classic.

People are trying to be helpful but I think I have an entirely different Unity install because I have none of the options you suggest I use. Its like 11.04 took my Ubuntu cryptic and locked and hid all the exits.

Next time I hope Ubuntu team warns us they compiled the new Ubuntu after they got medicinal use marijuana permits or at least warn us they have left the planet User Friendly.

Lets not get too Linux retro and conclude those of us complaining are just dummies. In my world a dummy is someone who spends more time tweaking and learning each new version of his operating system than using his computer to do things like WORK, Produce Docs, surf the Net, and yes have fun.

When I upgraded, I had no warning that Ubuntu had left the planet. Sorry, I do not buy music that requires me to smoke something to appreciate it. I'm afraid I'm a knuckle dragger when it comes to computing as well.

I'm just an oddball who uses my computer to create things.

--Bobblehead Bruised

BruisedQuasar07
May 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
FOUND IT! For users experiencing my problem of not having available to them, the suggested way of getting the "Ubuntu Classic" desktop (menu) back.

Here is what worked for me. I make it wordy, step by step so absolute newbies can follow what I did. (Ubuntu used to be as user friendly as my instructions try to be)

At the top of the crazy Unity Ubuntu 11.04 desktop (your screen), look to the right top corner. Find there what users call the power button. It's the last icon found in the top right corner. Click it.

In the drop down menu look for "system settings" (should be the last choice). Click it.

look for "System" heading. Under "System" find
"login screen" click it.

In the box you get, find and click "unlock".
find and click "show list of users". You can then "select ....as default session". Select
"Ubuntu Classic" Close the box and reboot.

Warning. Be patient. When you boot, it will take even longer than 11.04 already takes (my Windows 7 takes less time to boot on both laptops that also have Ubuntu 11.04)and you might not see the cursor you are accustomed to seeing. You will get a login box. after that,
there will be delay booting. Just wait and you will eventually hear the familiar music and the desktop will appear, the one that is user friendly and modern Linux, not the new Mac wannabe desktop "unity".

Unless there is a way to get former fast Ubuntu booting back, I'm deleting it and going with Peppermint, unless that team gets looney like LinuxMint and decides to smoke the same stuff team Ubuntu is smoking. Warning Team LinuxMint is hard at work moving backward to 11.04 and Unity as the new LinuxMint base. Little Puppy (Lucid Puppy)5.25 is still in the control of efficient sanity.

Just my opinion but I'm a weirdo who since 1986 has seen computers as wonderful TOOLS, not an end itself.

--Bruised

Quackers
May 16th, 2011, 02:13 PM
All the stuff that you rant about was known about for some time. You could have made some enquiries before upgrading to 11.04 and saved yourselves some head-banging.
Alternatively you could just accept that it's changed and get on with it.

BruisedQuasar07
May 17th, 2011, 01:41 AM
All the stuff that you rant about was known about for some time. You could have made some enquiries before upgrading to 11.04 and saved yourselves some head-banging.
Alternatively you could just accept that it's changed and get on with it.

What? I got a upgrade notice when I was using Ubuntu. I've used Ubuntu from the beginning. Until now, we could trust Ubuntu to maintain reasonable size, speed, devotion to user friendliness. Suddenly, there is this major change. Why is our discussion here trouble you so? Who is ranting? If you have something constructive to add by all means do so. Otherwise bug off. Get a life.

NormanFLinux
May 17th, 2011, 02:10 AM
People don't know they can install the classic start menu in Unity launcher?

Download and install Cardapio and add it as a launcher to Unity.

When you click the Ubuntu icon, you'll have a scrollable classic start menu. Just like in GNOME Classic!

wojox
May 17th, 2011, 02:32 AM
What? I got a upgrade notice when I was using Ubuntu. I've used Ubuntu from the beginning. Until now, we could trust Ubuntu to maintain reasonable size, speed, devotion to user friendliness. Suddenly, there is this major change. Why is our discussion here trouble you so? Who is ranting? If you have something constructive to add by all means do so. Otherwise bug off. Get a life.

Really? You didn't bother to investigate first?
Ready, Fire, Aim approach?
Look before you leap young one. :P

cariboo
May 17th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Please keep things civil.

kn0w-b1nary
May 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I use Xubuntu 11.04. Faster than Unity/Gnome!