PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu feels..

ihavenoname
May 13th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Heres the deal, I used Ubuntu a while ago (actually about a few months.) and It seemed to work well. My first distro was Fedora and I dunno something about the feel of fedora got me hooked. But I couldnt get certain things working I later tried Linspire it worked but was too slow...so I went back to windows. One day my friend told me about Ubuntu, so I went ahead got the cd tried it and it worked. But i couldnt get wireless, so i stared asking on the forum and looking around, eventually I got wireless working on both Ubuntu and Fedora. and thats when my problems began. You see I had this strange attachment to Fedora, and yet I really liked the Ubuntu forums. So it was that I could not decided which distro to use and a distro hoping festa began. I tried Linspire again, Xandros, Mepis, Vector, Arch, Mandriva, Suse, Fedora 5 and Ubuntu Dapper as well as some others. Needless to say I wasted many Blank cds, and after all that I am now stuck at 4 distros. Arch Suse Fedora and Ubuntu. Despite the fact that arch is easy to configure and mess around with it seems to be out of the question as it has become too time consuming and lately, it has not worked very well. Fedora is looking really nice, has become quite fast. But it sometimes has poor packages and despite the fact that from what I know yum has more features then apt-get and has a better output, yum is horrible it refreashes too much and can become rather annyoing. Suse looks very good seems to be well polished and well setup, only problem is from what I have noticed they dont seem to provide major updates in between releases for example if they realease it with kernel 2.16 and kernel 2.20 comes out they wont provide that update. Gnome is still 2.12. although this does make for a very stable OS. Ubuntu.....well...Looking at the features and the specs Ubuntu seems to be one of the better choices. In fact I acidentally deleted my FC5 partion and replaced it with Dapper the other day ( it was actually kind of funny if u ignore all my lost files...most where Fedora files anyways thou.) but there is one problem...I have not truly used Ubuntu much, Ive just set it up and tested things on it. But for some reason Ubuntu feels weried for me..Im not sure what it is I just feel..."off" using it.

So heres the delima: Has anybody transfered to Ubuntu from another distro and felt the same way in the beginging? Will it simply take a little getting used to? What do you all recomend I do? Can anyone at least help me narrorw it down to two distros...Im tired of distro hopping but it seems to me to be an addiction. I just get excited about the new features of a distro. Im currently getting BLAG Linux. but thats the same thing as Fedora essentially.

any advice or comments on anything from above is encouraged and welecomed.

p.s. Arch is now off the list.

n3tfury
May 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I tried Linspire again, Xandros, Mepis, Vector, Arch, Mandriva, Suse, Fedora 5 and Ubuntu Dapper as well as some others. Needless to say I wasted many Blank cds...

experience and knowledge is never a waste.

ihavenoname
May 13th, 2006, 11:31 PM
hm, good call!

steve.horsley
May 14th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I came from Mandrake to Hoary, and my overwhelming impression was that it Just Works (TM). It was just ready to use instead of being ready to fix. I don't recall it feeling strange though. Nowadays it slips on comfortably, like an old overcoat.

briancurtin
May 14th, 2006, 06:25 AM
i think if i was to leave Arch and come back to ubuntu, it would feel wierd to me as well.

prizrak
May 14th, 2006, 07:50 AM
I never had the weird feeling I actually felt at home as soon as Ubuntu loaded. I used RedHat and ASPLinux at length before.

nalmeth
May 14th, 2006, 09:45 AM
"Feel" is all about the Desktop Environment for me..
All that each distro is doing is giving you a different default configuration of that Desktop Environment. If it feels a little funny, change it!

If you don't like the boot splash-screen, change it!
If you don't like the themes and fonts, change them!

Or try KDE, on dapper it is very very nice.

http://kde-look.org/
http://gnome-look.org/

ihavenoname
May 16th, 2006, 05:01 AM
"Feel" is all about the Desktop Environment for me..
All that each distro is doing is giving you a different default configuration of that Desktop Environment. If it feels a little funny, change it!

If you don't like the boot splash-screen, change it!
If you don't like the themes and fonts, change them!

Or try KDE, on dapper it is very very nice.

http://kde-look.org/
http://gnome-look.org/
I think you right. Ive changed the themes around abit it feels better now, hmm i remeber ubuntu being very comfortable. Braincurtain I used arch for a while, i think I used arch longer then any distro but the problem was some packages i had to compile, that wasnt THAT big of a deal. The main problem was that arch kept freezing on me, i think it had to do with either nvidia or my wifi drivers. thats one of the main reasons im probably leaving arch. But I got Dapper and installed the 686 kernel and it freezes just like arch did. hmm im trying the 386 kernel now. Im not sure what it is i have a p4 1.7ghz processor, maybe thats it or could it be incompatable ram memory? hmm

oh yea and back to topic i think that perhaps using arch n fedora kinda threw me off.

p.s. if u know why its freezing help me out. Its a complete freeze its not letting me go to the terminals or anything. no movement at all. Is that a kernel panic? ne ways i understand its still in development but im still wondering if ne one had this problem or not or whats going on.

briancurtin
May 16th, 2006, 05:31 AM
hmm im trying the 386 kernel now. Im not sure what it is i have a p4 1.7ghz processor, maybe thats it or could it be incompatable ram memory? hmm
if you have a P4, i686 is what you would want. pretty much everyone these days is an i686 candidate.

ihavenoname
May 16th, 2006, 05:42 AM
but it appears that the 686 kernel in ubuntu is freezing my comp. hmm i just looked and the kernel for the 386 is older i just updated i will tell u if it freezes on the 386 maybe the new kernel has a bug...unless its an nvidia problem(im using the nv driver w/ the 386 kernel and nvidia's driver w/ the 686).. thoughts?