PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Radeon X800 on 10.04 not working. Downgrade to 8.04?

overfiend1701
May 13th, 2011, 08:50 AM
1.5ghz P4 Willamette core
1gb PC133
X800 AGP card

A friend of mine recently very kindly donated to me a Radeon X800 AGP card to replace my aging PCI FX5200 card. Unfortunately I've read that the proprietary drivers don't work for x800 beyond 9.04. And the 3d performance is lacking on open source drivers.

Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy an Nvidia card (one look at the specs of my PC tells you what my budget is). But I do have a spare hard drive kicking about. So I was wondering if it would be worth installing 8.04 on it (which would be able to run fglrx) for gaming purposes. Not an ideal solution, but I really would like to unlock some of the full potential of this card

All help greatly appreciated

Joe of loath
May 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM
You won't have any gaming potential on that processor :lol:

Keep an eye out for cheap computers on ebay, craigslist etc, and computers in bins and dumpsters. I've found higher spec machines in such places before now.

overfiend1701
May 13th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Let me explain that my gaming consists of Quake 3, UT2003, Star Trek Elite Force and other games of the 2000 era.

I play what my machine is capable of, not the latest releases. I'm not expecting to play COD:MW2 on it.

(And please note dumpster diving is illegal in the UK. I've yet to be lucky enough to be the first one on the draw when a good spec PC appears on freecycle)

Joe of loath
May 13th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I know it's illegal, but in the same way that all London cab drivers have to keep a bale of hay in the back of their cab, for their horse. It's an outdated law, and no one actually gets prosecuted for it. Can you imagine the trial? The jury would die laughing.

A better option than 8.04 would be Debian Lenny. Squeeze may also support the older drivers, but I'm not so sure.

overfiend1701
May 13th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Excellent :) I never even thought of trying another distro (a credit to Ubuntu, I reckon).

And thanks for the skipping tip. I've always been wary of doing it in the past, I may give it a try now.