PDA

View Full Version : What are the most important subjects in IT?

slashwannabe94
May 13th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I just finished watching a movie called untraceable... Thought it was quite elaborate but cool. Obviously not the psycho-net-killer dude in it, but hey it's a movie :)

I am trying to make a list of the most of important subjects in IT, so i can organize my studying. I have came up with,

1) software
2) networking
3) Hardware

Not really a list though, nor is it precise. I know there are 100's of IT pro's on here, so it made sense to ask the question.

Thanks,
SlashWannabe94

spynappels
May 13th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Depends what area of IT you want to get into.
I would say:

Networking
Network Security
OS management
OS security
Storage management
Application management
Application development
Hardware

Johnsie
May 13th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Security
Networking
Windows Server/Exchange (used by most companies to manage communications)
Printers
Programming

jhonan
May 13th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Software Engineering.

'IT' is a broad area though, but SE is great foundation.

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM
In my opinion, programming should be number one; everything else is comparatively easy.

I mostly deal with networking and security, but code is the core of everything. Hardware knowledge is mostly worthless unless you have a real need for it (selling/reviewing); it changes every year.

Untraceable is junk when it comes to depicting I.T - but it is just a film. ;)

juancarlospaco
May 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
programming should be number one;

Yes

everything else is comparatively easy.

No

jhonan
May 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I always thought Software Engineering was taught as a module on most IT courses. If not, then at least the basics of SE are covered as part of a programming course.

Software engineering (SE) is a profession dedicated to designing, implementing, and modifying software so that it is of higher quality, more affordable, maintainable, and faster to build. It is a "systematic approach to the analysis, design, assessment, implementation, test, maintenance and reengineering of software, that is, the application of engineering to software."

My point is that programming is pretty useless unless you back it up with software engineering. Unless you want to spend your life writing 'hello world' apps.

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM
No

That's why it's an opinion. ;)

slashwannabe94
May 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I agree with Grenage :) --- I'm ok at coding, been at it for 6 months, doing Bash :)
I understand that Bash is scripting and not necessarily programming. Isn't programming when the code must be compiled into binary strings?

correct me if i am wrong haha.

Thanks,
SlashWannabe94

Dr. C
May 15th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Depends what area of IT you want to get into.
I would say:

Networking
Network Security
OS management
OS security
Storage management
Application management
Application development
Hardware

I would add software license management particularly if one has any propriety operating systems or applications on the network.

TheLions
May 15th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Software Engineering.

'IT' is a broad area though, but SE is great foundation.

Computer science is foundation of all software. Software Enginering just glue all parts together.

PhillyPhil
May 15th, 2011, 03:47 AM
"IT"; is way, way too broad. It covers everything including lowest tier help desk support, computer repair shops, network admins, software engineers, db admins, security experts, computer scientists, OS developers, and a whole lot more...

You really need to select a single field under the so-called "IT" umbrella, and ask what subjects matter for that field.

handy
May 15th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Freedom from the censorship of information as demonstrated by such as the great firewall of China.