PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you install Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 11.04?

COMTIBoy
May 13th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I would like to try Gnome 3 on my Ubuntu 11.04.

How can I upgrade my version 2 to 3 ?

I found a ppa on the gnome website for Ubuntu 11.04, but this didn't work

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Be aware if you do, it will break Unity and unless you have an accelerated graphics card, you won't get the full benefit of GNOME 3 and you will be back-booted into the default GNOME 2 style environment.

akand074
May 13th, 2011, 03:18 AM
To install it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

To remove it:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

Check this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742343) thread for common issues/fixes.

COMTIBoy
May 13th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks. I don't use Unity (don't like it) and I do have an accelerated graphics card. Thanks again.

COMTIBoy
May 13th, 2011, 03:36 AM
To install it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

To remove it:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

Check this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742343) thread for common issues/fixes.

Thanks!

COMTIBoy
May 13th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks!

Just did the upgrade to Gnome 3.0 . Worked great! Really appreciate your help.

COMTIBoy
May 13th, 2011, 04:50 AM
After a very short lived upgrade, I decided to revert back to the earlier Gnome desktop. I think I'll wait an OS upgrade (or two) before trying gnome 3 again. I really like the new interface, but it just runs too slow. I have an nvidia graphics card. The gnome 3 graphics were great when running build 173 (latest), but caused the system to really poke....The recommended version nvida driver (recommended) made the fonts look really bad.

Glad you gave me the uninstall steps.

akand074
May 13th, 2011, 05:54 AM
After a very short lived upgrade, I decided to revert back to the earlier Gnome desktop. I think I'll wait an OS upgrade (or two) before trying gnome 3 again. I really like the new interface, but it just runs too slow. I have an nvidia graphics card. The gnome 3 graphics were great when running build 173 (latest), but caused the system to really poke....The recommended version nvida driver (recommended) made the fonts look really bad.

Glad you gave me the uninstall steps.

I used it too and liked it. Reverted back to Unity (which I also like) because it was far more useable. Gnome 3 for Ubuntu is far from perfect. Wait until 11.10.

Allavona
May 13th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I actually like both because they are brand new! Everyone's a noob!!