PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant install Open Office

dmcfarland
May 13th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I am using version 11.04. I tried installing Open Office and got the error "Failed to install Java Runtime environment files" Exit code 7. Needless I am resentful that they didn't give me a choice to install Open office, but saddled me with Libre office. Now I can't even install open office.

jerrrys
May 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM
sudo apt-get install openoffice

in terminal

Hedgehog1
May 13th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Natty comes with the successor to OpenOffice - LibreOffice.

You can use this to handle all the documents you were editing in OpenOffice.

OpenOffice has become a 'dead' development branch.

The Hedge

:KS

rewyllys
May 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I am using version 11.04. I tried installing Open Office and got the error "Failed to install Java Runtime environment files" Exit code 7. Needless I am resentful that they didn't give me a choice to install Open office, but saddled me with Libre office. Now I can't even install open office.

You'd do best to install LibreOffice, which has everything that OpenOffice does and, in addition, already has some advances over OpenOffice. Just be sure to get v. 3.3.2 of LibreOffice.

Hagar Delest
May 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM
OOo is not dead yet and has less bugs for the moment than LibO.

If you want to install it, prefer the vanilla version (can run in parallel with Libo, so you'll be able to get your opinion by trying both: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68)

commiecam
June 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Natty comes with the successor to OpenOffice - LibreOffice.

You can use this to handle all the documents you were editing in OpenOffice.

OpenOffice has become a 'dead' development branch.

The Hedge

:KS

I have been using OpenOffice for so long it's ridiculous. Now, with the nearly daily upgrades, I am contnuously faced with manual operations to prevent Open Office from being replaced.

Perhaps Canonical (or the community) might prefer Libre Office, but I do not. I would like to suggest that Ubuntu leave my preferences alone and that their update manager be reconfigured to allow me to ban the replacement of, for example, OpenOffice with Libre if I so choose.

After all, Linux is all about choice and this user (since 1993) chooses to roam free and not be herded with their commercial user sheep. BTW, I still use and prefer vi to any other editor that I have ever seen, to the extent that I wrote my first novel using ite manager can be made
So, Canonical, is there a possibility that the update manager be made more flexible or perhaps that I can have a local config file for it?

crom.osec
June 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Normally I would 100% agree with commiecam,

I like ubuntu because I can choose what I need and what don't and I don't want to be decided for me what I must like and what I must not like.

However after I've read some forums about LibreOffice I've understood that LibreOffice appeared due to necessity to keep open office as open source application opposing Oracle direction on closing the product.

Some would say that such action will never happen but I've already seen worse actions, for example Red-Gate company decided to ask money for their Reflector product and forced the previously free software to update to the payed version.

Remember that "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".

Hagar Delest
June 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM
OOo is now under the Apache foundation.
There is still a hot discussion about permissive licenses (Apache) and non-permissive ones (TDF). But well, OOo is not that dead!