PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ready To Move On To A Full Install... Questions

CharleyGnarlyP290
May 13th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I have tried Ubuntu via WUBI and now want to do an install on a partition I have created. I want to keep Win7 due to the family members that would kill me if I hit them with something too new.
What is the best way to do it?
Do I uninstall Wubi, or move it to the partition? Or, preferably, can I remove Ubuntu/Wubi and do a full-on install on the partition using a USB drive.
And by the way, so far I really like Ubuntu!

wilee-nilee
May 13th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I have tried Ubuntu via WUBI and now want to do a an install on a partition I have created.
What is the best way to do it?
Do I uninstall Wubi, or move it to the partition? Or, preferably, can I remove Ubuntu/Wubi and do a full-on install on the partition using a USB drive.
And by the way, so far I really like Ubuntu!

You can move the wubi to a partition, I would do that if it was me.

Simple but important question, do you know how many partitions are on the hard drive now, including any hidden, and the limitations in how many, and what types to use?

CharleyGnarlyP290
May 13th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks, Wilee.
When I go into "My Computer" I show my C drive which is my main drive, and G which is the one I created for Ubuntu.

collisionystm
May 13th, 2011, 02:11 AM
If you haven't done much in wubi, uninstall it. Run the install from cd or usb and install next to windows

CharleyGnarlyP290
May 13th, 2011, 02:41 AM
If you haven't done much in wubi, uninstall it. Run the install from cd or usb and install next to windows

Thanks for the reply. I have read some of the threads and such about migrating it and it sounds like a bit much for me right now. The only things I did on the Wubi install, was download drivers for my video card, and did the updates and such. Mainly looking around and using the interface to see if I liked it.
So, I will uninstall and install it on the partition I created.
Thanks again to all and I will post again once I am done.

CharleyGnarlyP290
May 20th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Installed Ubuntu and everything is there from before. Didn't have to do anything special, it just worked.
Now I am booting more and more into Ubuntu instead of Win7 as I get some of the other things ironed out.