PDA

View Full Version : Wow Linux experience really does help

cptrohn
May 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
As a person just getting into the IT industry(Just passed the A+ and working on the Network+) And not really knowing what to expect, I threw a couple of test resumes out there and got a call back from a company.. when I got to the initial meeting with the owner he basically told me that it was the experience with Linux that intrigued him and why he called... He said that he is wanting to move his clients into Linux based networks.... Never thought I would have been able to actually make money with what my other friends called my "hobby Operating Systems" :)

Loving it today!

Bandit
May 12th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Go for the CompTIA Linux+ cert. I dont want to be the only person running around here with it in a month or two. Its a little more then the A+, but seriously worth it.
I am gonna take my A+ in two weeks also since I am done with finals, and I also got my CIW cert a few months back.

cptrohn
May 12th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Go for the CompTIA Linux+ cert. I dont want to be the only person running around here with it in a month or two. Its a little more then the A+, but seriously worth it.
I am gonna take my A+ in two weeks also since I am done with finals, and I also got my CIW cert a few months back.

Right on! Good luck, the A+ is just a such a long test, (701 and 702 are both 90 minutes..) and they throw some oddball questions out there too... and while they say it's vendor nuetral I got quite a few windows questions on it... (I think in the objectives that it states 34% of the 702 is windows specific)

Network+ is next for me, and then the Linux+

LADmaticCA
May 12th, 2011, 10:50 PM
That's good to hear. I am actually studying for my Linux+ right now. After getting my A+, I started studying for the Network+ but kinda lost interest.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 13th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I am a manager in the IT field. We use more Linux than Windows. It appears that the Universities are teaching mostly Windows. A lot of the people with Linux experience are self taught. If I see Linux on a resume, I'm interested in that person. First, because that is what we use primarily, secondly, the fact that they learned Linux tells me that they are taking responsibility for their own skills, and they are able to learn technology on their own.

juancarlospaco
May 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Old_Gray_Wolf seems a smart person, i agree...

Bandit
May 13th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Right on! Good luck, the A+ is just a such a long test, (701 and 702 are both 90 minutes..) and they throw some oddball questions out there too... and while they say it's vendor nuetral I got quite a few windows questions on it... (I think in the objectives that it states 34% of the 702 is windows specific)

Network+ is next for me, and then the Linux+

Awesome. I been thinking of going for the Network+, but I may go for the Security+, or at least try.. lol.. The Security+ is a tuff one. Heck the Linux+ study book I got from SYBEX is ripped right from a horror novel. I started reading through it and its mostly command line material that I havent used since I had been writing monitor mode lines way back in my Slackware days.. lol..
Yea they say vendor neautral but I dont seen any Mac of *nix material in my A+ book. My instructor told me I should just go ahead and take it that I would be fine. Be to be honest I didnt want to take it in the middle of of all my final exams since the vouchers just came in 2 weeks ago. That and I didnt want to screw up any good bass fishing. hehe

I am a manager in the IT field. We use more Linux than Windows. It appears that the Universities are teaching mostly Windows. A lot of the people with Linux experience are self taught. If I see Linux on a resume, I'm interested in that person. First, because that is what we use primarily, secondly, the fact that they learned Linux tells me that they are taking responsibility for their own skills, and they are able to learn technology on their own.
That makes me happy to hear. Wished more folks around here looked at that the same.

Speaking of jobs. I was looking up IT jobs from semi local hospitals. One hospital just outside of Memphis TN wanted.. Check this now.. wanted a BS degree +PLUS+ 5 years experience to setup Network Routers and Switches from Cisco? I was like WTH?!?! A CCNA from Cisco alone is enough to cover that. But IDK.. I put in for a Systems Analyst/ Network Technician at the local hospital here and all they wanted was a AAS IT degree. My resume screamed qualified and I havent heard anything yet. Which is very saddening because I got almost 7 years Naval experience handling billions of dollars in assets and funding, plus I just like 2 months finishing my degree and I already have the CIW certification required to graduate. Which the CIW is almost the same as the A+ with the exception that it focuses more on networks and internet related material.

So anyone out there working on their IT degree, good luck out there. Just please dont take my job.. LOL.. :)

collisionystm
May 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Oddly enough, linux landed me my job as well.! 3 months ago lol. I was a Mitel VOIP tech, computer nerd and linux lover. Interviewed for a new job...found out they were running centos and ubuntu in an environment of 100 users. Now I am the lone wolf IT guy tackling this stuff

I am moving everyone to a new PDC running Zentyal..... what a fun task that will be! :)

3Miro
May 13th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Never thought I would have been able to actually make money with what my other friends called my "hobby Operating Systems" :)

You mean that your friends believe that 90% of the fastest supercomputers in the world as well as most internet servers run on a "hobby Operating Systems". This is a rather ignorant statement.

Linux is not a hobby OS, it is made by some of the best professionals and many of them are being payed for their work. On the other hand, the users of Linux are in Science (NASA), IT (Google and YouTube) and even Hollywood (Avatar).

Overall the demand for Linux professionals may be smaller than Windows, but making money from Linux should come as no surprise to anyone.

Johnsie
May 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't have got my job if I didn't know Linux. The main skill needed was actually Freebsd but because it's so similar to Linux I got the job. Learning Freebsd is pretty easy if you already have a working knowledge of Ubuntu Server. Postgres was a little more tricky, but not too hard.