PDA

View Full Version : My ideal Unity hardwear

Kramer2010
May 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM
If Unity is the way forward, then I thought I would share my ideal hardware for this distro if it existed and i could afford it.

1. 12" - 15" touchscreen tablet with OLED or LED screen
2. blisteringly fast multi core intel processor
3. 500gb SSDD (removeable)
4. 4GB + ram
5. onboard intel hd graphics (works flawlessly with ubuntu 10.10 & 11.04)
6. WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
7. USB 3.0 ports
8. SD slot
9. 3mb web cam
10. bluetooth built in.

ghostborg
May 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I would have just broke down and bought an IPAD.

3rdalbum
May 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
So you've got a massive fast SSD and a ridiculously large amount of RAM; and then you're hobbling it by making it use some sort of ultra-low-voltage CPU that you'd need for a tablet, and Intel graphics? Bit strange!

My ideal Unity hardware would be a desktop with a 22 inch screen or bigger, a keyboard with good action, a very fast CPU with 2 GiB of RAM or more, and a fast desktop graphics card from the Nvidia 4xx range.

Kramer2010
May 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM
So you've got a massive fast SSD and a ridiculously large amount of RAM; and then you're hobbling it by making it use some sort of ultra-low-voltage CPU that you'd need for a tablet, and Intel graphics? Bit strange!

My ideal Unity hardware would be a desktop with a 22 inch screen or bigger, a keyboard with good action, a very fast CPU with 2 GiB of RAM or more, and a fast desktop graphics card from the Nvidia 4xx range.

Take your point, I was just making the suggestion in a round about way that Unity has possibly been designed for tablets ultimately. Re intel graphics, only got a mention because its the first card that I have ever had 100% success with regards to an ubuntu installation. Also I'm looking to the future with touch tablets, remember how dominant desktops were a few years back before laptops got more affordable. If tablets get "powerful" low voltage cpu's and prices fall for SSDD (which they will), reckon laptop sales will drop like a stone.

3rdalbum
May 14th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Unity and Ubuntu aren't really touch-friendly yet; it's on the cards, but needs some work; I would hold off on Ubuntu tablets for now.

coolglobal
May 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Okeydokey...

Duel Core minimum
250GB Hard Drive minimum
Nvidia Graphics Card any

power & box
a motherboard - fill the ram slots
a flat screen
a wired keyboard
a wired mouse
some speakers

set the bios to its fastest standard option
plug in the ethernet cable

hmmmm...

Kramer2010
May 14th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Okeydokey...

Duel Core minimum
250GB Hard Drive minimum
Nvidia Graphics Card any

power & box
a motherboard - fill the ram slots
a flat screen
a wired keyboard
a wired mouse
some speakers

set the bios to its fastest standard option
plug in the ethernet cable

hmmmm...

My second preference after my laptop, third being a touch tablet ... if I had to. Interesting to see what choices will be available to us in the future

Sef
May 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

nrundy
May 15th, 2011, 05:01 PM
what do you guys use Bluetooth for on your computer? how often do you use it?

Lucradia
May 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
what do you guys use Bluetooth for on your computer? how often do you use it?

I don't use bluetooth at all currently. Would be nice if we had high-def headsets that used bluetooth though for our desktop computers.

Oxwivi
May 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM
6. WiFi 802.11 b/g/n.
Big mistake not mentioning manufacturer. Like non-Intel GPU a few WiFi cards have proprietary driver requirements. I'd say you change it to Intel.