PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Want to uninstall Windows XP and install Ubuntu

jeld
May 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hello all

Im not a computer genius. My laptop was notifying me of Windows Genuine Advantage, and I guess Im the last person on earth to know what that is. Now I can only boot in safe mode since it requests activation.

There is nothing important on the computer and I only want to use it for watching movies at this time. I want to get rid of Windows altogether, and install Ubuntu. I have downloaded a copy of it and its on my removeable drive. I do not have a disc drive on the laptop, only USB.

How do i do this? I don't think I have a virtual drive anymore, i think i got rid of the program that was on there. Been trying to figure it out, but my brain is melting, would appreciate some step by step help! THANK YOU :)

snowpine
May 12th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the forums Jeld!

Easy instructions for installing Ubuntu are here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

You will need a computer that can boot to an operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux). Since you don't have a CD-ROM drive, I recommend installing from a USB thumb drive following the instructions above.

I am not an expert at Windows, but you should be able to activate it by entering the serial from the sticker on the back/bottom of your computer. If you lost your activation code, contact your computer manufacturer.

TAspr
May 12th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Hello all

Im not a computer genius. My laptop was notifying me of Windows Genuine Advantage, and I guess Im the last person on earth to know what that is. Now I can only boot in safe mode since it requests activation.

There is nothing important on the computer and I only want to use it for watching movies at this time. I want to get rid of Windows altogether, and install Ubuntu. I have downloaded a copy of it and its on my removeable drive. I do not have a disc drive on the laptop, only USB.

How do i do this? I don't think I have a virtual drive anymore, i think i got rid of the program that was on there. Been trying to figure it out, but my brain is melting, would appreciate some step by step help! THANK YOU :)

You can search for Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.4.6, and install that, but bearing in mind, you need to have a blank flash drive and the ISO file downloaded to your desktop before you begin. Afterrunning the USB installer, it will create a bootable USB stick that will run UBUNTU or whatever OS you decide to put on it. My recomendation is to download the ISO and put it on a CD, then, you could try it and not have any negative effects on the PC at all.

jeld
May 12th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have no idea where my xp disc is, and i did not even think if this copy was good or not when i got it. i didn't get it new. so i would have to pay to activate.

question about making a bootable usb...if i transfer the data i have on it onto my desktop, can it go back to holding data after im done using it for the installation? again.... i don't have a disc drive :)

snowpine
May 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM
question about making a bootable usb...if i transfer the data i have on it onto my desktop, can it go back to holding data after im done using it for the installation? again.... i don't have a disc drive :)

Yes, when you're done using your Ubuntu Live USB, you can reformat it and use it as a regular flash drive again in the future. Make sure that you use a compatible filesystem (fat16 or fat32) if you plan to share the flash drive with a Windows computer.

jeld
May 13th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I thought for sure the next message would be thanks for all your help.......

but im ready to chuck this computer out the window.

I have my formatted thumb drive in the side of this blasted machine...and i cannot figure out how to get around this stupid windows activation....i know this is ubuntu forum, but someone somewhere must know where i must go to boot this disc. which safe mode? it says i must reboot but if i don't F8 it goes straight back to the activation window and the inevitable log off.

"Do you want to activate Windows now?" NO!

Quackers
May 13th, 2011, 12:41 AM
You need to go into your computer's bios to set the boot order so that the usb flash drive boots before the internal hard drive.
There will be a key (or keys) that you need to press during the boot process which will take you there.
Sometimes it's the Del key, sometimes it's F2 and sometimes it's F11 or even something else. You need to find out what the correct key is for your system.

jeld
May 13th, 2011, 12:45 AM
THANK YOU!

Im on it.

Quackers
May 13th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Good luck :-)

jeld
May 13th, 2011, 01:49 AM
SUCCESS!!!

Wow you really feel like you won the lottery when you find the BIOS huh? :)

So far so good, Windows is gone, Ubuntu is here. Just having a look around! If I have any more questions I will post a new thread!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Jeld :)

Quackers
May 13th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Aha! Excellent :-)
You're welcome.
Have fun Ubuntuing!

Please mark the thread as solved using the Thread Tools (in red) near the top of the page. Thanks.