View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wake Up to Smoking Computer!!

May 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I woke up this morning to an odd smell, but didn't think much of it. First time opening the window since winter. I look to find my computer off, but didn't really think much of it. Try to turn it on, nothing happen. Then unplugged it and turned it back on. Turns on for a second and then shuts off right away. At this very moment, my foolish brain finally connects the smell to the computer turned off. :SSSS I find the part that was smoking, it's an LED tube light. The recharge pack, the "adapter" powering had a black hole through it's circuit board.

Something similar to this:

So, I am praying to everything and anything for my actually hardware to be okay. How do I go about checking the status of my hardware, motherboard, and etc from this "shortage" from smoking adapter pack of the LED tube light?

What do I do from here?

Joe of loath
May 12th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Remove the dead components, leave it unplugged for 24 hours, plug it in, and try again. If it doesn't turn on, take the PSU out and sniff it. You'll know if it's dead when you smell it.

Chances are it's just the light and maybe the PSU that's dead, although sometimes a dead PSU can take out other stuff too.

May 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joe of loath, Thanks for the information. I don't mind losing the PSU, if the mother and hard drives are ok? Should I worry about hard drive and mothers? I am glad though, it's just the led tubes that got cooked so far.

Joe of loath
May 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM
It's a complete lottery as to whether the mobo and HDD are dead or not. Sometimes the PSU dies peacefully, sometimes it sends a huge spike of mains voltage through all your components. The only way to test them it to put them in another PC.

May 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
If memtest and cpuburn worked well, and SMART diagnostic check on disk is okay, I would be convinced that my components were okay.

May 13th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips, although I was wondered about putting the hardware at risk even more. I'll update the thread when I find out more information.

[Update] I tested the compounds today, one by one and found out everything is in working order! Ya-ta! Thanks everyone.