PDA

View Full Version : Why will the Chromebook fail?

del_diablo
May 12th, 2011, 02:30 PM
To be more precise: Why will the Chromebook not catch on like the iPad did?

I will most likely set my card on that it will lack the battery life such a device is suppose to have, which again means it will be the OEMS feiling it.

Johnsie
May 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Who said it would fail? Why does everyone on this board think they have a crystal ball?

TheNerdAL
May 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I think the Chromebook won't be as successful as the iPad because people think tablets are the next generation and that net-books are old. Unless Google markets it very well.

del_diablo
May 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Then argue for why it will succed?
I can see it catching on and selling a few units, but i can not see it catching on like the ingeious thing it is because the current models are overpriced compared to the battery life.

TheNerdAL
May 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I can see it catching on and selling a few units, but i can not see it catching on like the ingeious thing it is because the current models are overpriced compared to the battery life.

I agree, the netbooks should be like $200 or so.

Johnsie
May 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I've seen overpriced Apple products being successful. I don't think Google will release it if it's going to be a major fail. I'm going to wait and see what happens before making any judgements.

Paqman
May 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
To be more precise: Why will the Chromebook not catch on like the iPad did?

That's a bit of an odd standard to hold it to IMO. The Ipad was entering a bit of a barren market, there were no other really successful tablets. The Chromebooks are going into a pretty well-established netbook market.

the current models are overpriced compared to the battery life

I've not seen any prices myself. Battery life will be the same as any other Atom netbook, i'd imagine.

TheNerdAL
May 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I've seen overpriced Apple products being successful. I don't think Google will release it if it's going to be a major fail. I'm going to wait and see what happens before making any judgements.

Google Buzz was a fail. :P And the average comsumer only buys Apple products because of their beauty in hardware and stuff like that.

Throne777
May 12th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Who said it would fail? Why does everyone on this board think they have a crystal ball?

Because mindless speculation is lots of fun?

Fedz
May 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
What a load of disposable rubbish that piece of technology is!
You seen the formal video to go with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZ7huEkFRQ
Animation that tells you nothing rofl

Seriously get Ubuntu or similar distro loaded on your laptop & you'll get not far off 8 seconds load time Chromebook's boasting!

Is Google serious :rolleyes:

del_diablo
May 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
That's a bit of an odd standard to hold it to IMO. The Ipad was entering a bit of a barren market, there were no other really successful tablets. The Chromebooks are going into a pretty well-established netbook market.

While that is true, it is also true that "netbooks running something sleek like they are suppose to" is a untapped marked.

I've not seen any prices myself. Battery life will be the same as any other Atom netbook, i'd imagine.

I heard $350 dollars being thrown around for the 2 OEM netbooks being initially sold.
I guess I am one of the weird people that is not pleased with 5-6 hours of battery life, it is practical when one travels, but it needs recharge between every long session. But I am also one of the people that knows that it is possible to have a lot more battery life than that.

What a load of disposable rubbish that piece of technology is!
You seen the formal video to go with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZ7huEkFRQ
Animation that tells you nothing rofl

Seriously get Ubuntu or similar distro loaded on your laptop & you'll get not far off 8 seconds load time Chromebook's boasting!

Is Google serious :rolleyes:

For the consumer, that is all one needs to know, so as a commercial it is very enlightening.
The consumer got a XP laptop or something more new, but it will still spend over half a minutte booting. After logging in, it will still use a long time loading.
For the "comsumer", something like a properly setup and intigrated mobile broadband combined with a sleek interface is a dream, so google is indeed serious.

Another thingy: What I find amusing is that they are serious about WebGL, so they will use it so they can actually run a appstore with it.
A bold and good techological move.

msrinath80
May 12th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Because mindless speculation is lots of fun?

I've thought about this long and hard. To tell the truth, most often the people who make such claims are the ones who are afraid that it will take off as a great product. I myself am guilty of such behavior. I hate the "Unity" interface. So I'd rather not see it succeed. Although one has to care enough about a certain product to hate it for a start, deep down, bad mouthing it brings some closure to bottled-up frustrations. Hence the observed behavior. The good thing (at least for folks who recognize this trend, myself included) is that you know what the problem is. Now, there is hope that it can be fixed!

Fedz
May 12th, 2011, 03:14 PM
For the consumer, that is all one needs to know, so as a commercial it is very enlightening.
The consumer got a XP laptop or something more new, but it will still spend over half a minutte booting. After logging in, it will still use a long time loading.
For the "comsumer", something like a properly setup and intigrated mobile broadband combined with a sleek interface is a dream, so google is indeed serious.

Another thingy: What I find amusing is that they are serious about WebGL, so they will use it so they can actually run a appstore with it.
A bold and good techological move.
Regarding 8 seconds booting time: Is it stuff 'all one needs to know' pfffft lol

Every desktop and or laptop I've ever used ... from windows to Ubuntu load my 3G - I know I've done it 100s of times so Chromebook ain't nowt new lol

del_diablo
May 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Regarding 8 seconds booting time: Is it stuff 'all one needs to know' pfffft lol

Every desktop and or laptop I've ever used ... from windows to Ubuntu load my 3G - I know I've done it 100s of times so Chromebook ain't nowt new lol

Still, the point stands: It is a commcial, and it does its job against its target group quite nice and sleek.
It is nothing new, BUT when was the last time you ever had a comsumer that was willing to even take a look at what they used and do something about it?
That is the fine line that is the difference of a geek and another consumer, usually. There are exceptions.
What is "New" is that we are talking about a common product, a netbook, and a OS that is setup to be sleek.
Not new in itself, Apple and Nintendo has beaten them to to the goaline by quite a few years, but still, it is about bloody time.

Fedz
May 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Still, the point stands: It is a commcial, and it does its job against its target group quite nice and sleek.
It is nothing new, BUT when was the last time you ever had a comsumer that was willing to even take a look at what they used and do something about it?
That is the fine line that is the difference of a geek and another consumer, usually. There are exceptions.
What is "New" is that we are talking about a common product, a netbook, and a OS that is setup to be sleek.
Not new in itself, Apple and Nintendo has beaten them to to the goaline by quite a few years, but still, it is about bloody time.
I don't suffer fools gladly & Google are champions at dictating to the consumer what they think they should be thinking, believing, buying ... millions of gullible out their so Google have it made :D

Granted it's their business model & it works, consumers love to be told so Google is on one & may as well ride the wave while it lasts ... for now ;-)

Myself ... don't fall for patter & Google's 'world domination' but, I'd rather Google take a pot than Microsoft so I don't diss em too much :)

Yeah the Chromebook is nice & tidy & slim & sleek ... but, nowt majority of notebooks, small laptops with Ubuntu loaded won't do :)

Oxwivi
May 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
That was because the most of the stuff's concepts was new to the masses. Netbook? I don't think so.

Oxwivi
May 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I've thought about this long and hard. To tell the truth, most often the people who make such claims are the ones who are afraid that it will take off as a great product. I myself am guilty of such behavior. I hate the "Unity" interface. So I'd rather not see it succeed. Although one has to care enough about a certain product to hate it for a start, deep down, bad mouthing it brings some closure to bottled-up frustrations. Hence the observed behavior. The good thing (at least for folks who recognize this trend, myself included) is that you know what the problem is. Now, there is hope that it can be fixed!
I'd contest that claim. I like Chromebook, but my last reply in this thread clearly gives a reason why it will fail.

Oxwivi
May 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Regarding the speed issue, I very much think it will outperform our expectations. For one, it doesn't pack in much software, and on top of that, it's based on Gentoo, compiled to run specifically on the hardware it's supposed to run on.

Joe of loath
May 12th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Regarding the speed issue, I very much think it will outperform our expectations. For one, it doesn't pack in much software, and on top of that, it's based on Gentoo, compiled to run specifically on the hardware it's supposed to run on.

Actually it's based on Ubuntu.

Paqman
May 12th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I heard $350 dollars being thrown around for the 2 OEM netbooks being initially sold.

What's your source?

How does that compare to netbooks in the US? A quick look at Amazon seemed to show prices about $250-450 for a new Eee PC in the US, so $350 sounds pretty reasonable.

Oxwivi
May 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Actually it's based on Ubuntu.
Art thou doubting Wikipedia's knowledge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS)?!

Joe of loath
May 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
When I used one of the beta builds it was based on Ubuntu. Maybe it's changed?

Oxwivi
May 12th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Possibly, I also heard it was based on Ubuntu but suddenly it says Gentoo on Wikipedia.

MasterNetra
May 12th, 2011, 04:38 PM

I got a better idea how about we let time tell, sense its only thing that will be able to tell, instead of pulling predictions out our rear ends.

neu5eeCh
May 12th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I don't know if it will fail or not.

However, I expect Google knows that they're going to have the market the hell out of the Chromebook. They're going to have to explain A.) Why it's better than a Windows Laptop B.) Why it's better than a tablet. C.) What ChromeOS can do that's unique.

If I were to guess at a reason why it might fail, it's because they're not selling the hardware and software as a package, in the sense that Apple does. Google, perhaps, should have created it's own stylish laptop to compliment it's OS. As it is, buyers may say to themselves: Well, if I'm just going to get an Acer or Sumsung, why am I not putting Windows 7 on it? Even if the hardware wasn't any different, Apple knows that presentation is a big part of their selling point. When you buy an Apple, you're getting a good looking machine, and stylish.

del_diablo
May 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Fedz: You annoy me because you are not reading what I write.
Hence, your strawmen is silly.

What's your source?

How does that compare to netbooks in the US? A quick look at Amazon seemed to show prices about $250-450 for a new Eee PC in the US, so $350 sounds pretty reasonable.

http://www.digi.no/869344/her-er-chromebook
429 dollar for the Samsung one, 349 dollar for the Acer one.

I got a better idea how about we let time tell, sense its only thing that will be able to tell, instead of pulling predictions out our rear ends.

But waiting around is not fun, especially when we can speculate and craft theories :P

*cut short*
I agree that Google not making their own HQ one will be another reason why it will not revolutionize it that much.

YeOK
May 12th, 2011, 06:01 PM
In my house we have 2 laptops, 1 desktop and a netbook. Personally, I love my desktop, I like to mess around with Linux and all manner of other technical things.

The rest of the household do not, you can guarantee that anyone but me will be on the internet, the kids don't even play games that are installed any more, they play on Facebook games, they spend 89% of computer time on Facebook, the rest on bbc iplayer. My girlfriend listens to music on spotify, or has a long chat with her friends or family on Facebook.

I think the chromebook is perfect for most computer users, I'm not talking about Linux users here, we are what, 5% of the total pc market ?

I think the chromebook will be very popular. Google are on to a winner.

Fedz
May 12th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Fedz: You annoy me because you are not reading what I write.
Hence, your strawmen is silly.
I annoy you cos I ain't agreeing more likely :p

tumbes2000
May 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM
The chromebook is a bit of a weird deal given Google's success with Android. Why note make Android more robust and it should be able to do everything that the chromebook is claiming. Almost competing system if you compare honeycomb to Chrome OS. To me it seems that they are going after the enterprise market what a service plan that also upgrades the hardware. So companies have a fixed monthly computer cost and will not have to invest a lot of money in computers every three years or so.

For the average consumer I see no need, just get a windows netbook (or ubuntu) and you can do all the same google based stuff on that without the limitations of ChromeOS.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Copper Bezel
May 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
It's not a matter of making Android more robust. A stripped-down Gentoo with a slightly more feature-rich Chrome as browser, window manager, and shell certainly isn't doing things that Android can't, and putting everything into webapps is going to slow down performance, not speed it up. The Chromebook will fail because it offers nothing that any other system doesn't, and if it succeeds, even marginally, it's just evidence that Crunchbang-based netbooks needed better marketing.

An eight second boot is cool and all (Crunchbang on SSD is more like 25-30) but that's what suspend is for. An eight hour battery is nothing unusual for that class of machine. The real computer running Crunchbang, of course, could also run a calculator when not in WiFi.

The one thing that Chromebook does offer that a lot of users might appreciate is that it really should be simple for Neanderthals to use despite limited capability for tool use. Updates are automatic, system settings are nonexistent, and so on. It's probably impossible to break without switching to developer mode, and there would never be anything to figure out; if a particular website or piece of hardware doesn't work, then you just ignore it and go on.

dtfinch
May 12th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't want a Chromebook due to how locked down it is, but I know people (including immediate family) who browse and nothing else who would probably love it. And there's the bundled 100mb monthly 3g for 2 years, though there's probably a catch.

They do have a point that almost nobody uses netbooks for real offline work. Desktops are for work. Netbooks are for doing things online while away from your desktop, like checking imdb or wikipedia while watching TV.

del_diablo
May 13th, 2011, 06:17 AM
It's not a matter of making Android more robust. A stripped-down Gentoo with a slightly more feature-rich Chrome as browser, window manager, and shell certainly isn't doing things that Android can't, and putting everything into webapps is going to slow down performance, not speed it up. The Chromebook will fail because it offers nothing that any other system doesn't, and if it succeeds, even marginally, it's just evidence that Crunchbang-based netbooks needed better marketing.

Am I the only person who has ever heard of the words "application cache"?
The things you mention in the 3rd segment is the exact reason why it will succed.
Bless the sheeps, yes.

Allavona
May 13th, 2011, 08:09 AM
It's an already bloated field and unless there's something uber spectacular about it that makes it stand out and say, "Buy Me!" it may fail.

I'm sure the machine works great, but that's not the issue.

Can Google market the product successfully? Yes, they have the resources.

It will ultimately come down to whether people want to pay for an internet device and subscribe to the services.

But I do think it will fail for one reason. Google loves to track. And now they have a box to better enable them to do so.

Fedz
May 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Google have already proved themselves less than genuine with Chrome browser & providing Chromebook gives them an enhanced level of your online & or maybe offline activities!

Google are in this exact business of gathering info on peoples movements - they make money on it & re-sell the (limited) info to 3rd party interested companies, it's their business & this is the very real reason people avoid Google & or it's software & or hardware.

Simple fact people don't trust them & or at least are cautious of them to the point that other freely available alternatives without the 'worry' are available & people will opt for that ... & rightly so.

When you buy a desktop, laptop, notebook ...etc consumers don't want the attatched 'spying' threat that Google is so famous for ...
maybe if they pay you for it then more would be willing but, paying an equal market price of other similar notebooks that don't have that threat then it's too much of an avoidable risk ;-)

YeOK
May 13th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Google have already proved themselves less than genuine with Chrome browser & providing Chromebook gives them an enhanced level of your online & or maybe offline activities!

Google are in this exact business of gathering info on peoples movements - they make money on it & re-sell the (limited) info to 3rd party interested companies, it's their business & this is the very real reason people avoid Google & or it's software & or hardware.

Simple fact people don't trust them & or at least are cautious of them to the point that other freely available alternatives without the 'worry' are available & people will opt for that ... & rightly so.

When you buy a desktop, laptop, notebook ...etc consumers don't want the attatched 'spying' threat that Google is so famous for ...
maybe if they pay you for it then more would be willing but, paying an equal market price of other similar notebooks that don't have that threat then it's too much of an avoidable risk ;-)

Do you have any links to prove Google Chrome tracks usage, other than what is listed under settings ?

You see, I don't think chrome tracks anything more than any other browser. Also, the Google brand is the second most valuable in the world, suggesting your wrong, brand value suggest people trust Google.

Brand Values:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8501849/Top-20-most-valuable-brands.html

weasel fierce
May 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM
After watching the success of the ipad, I have pretty much resolved that whatever computer geeks think will fail, will probably succeed.

msrinath80
May 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Not that I endorse your opinion, but on a related note, it is prudent to Log-off from gmail/facebook/twitter/yahoo etc. after you're done checking. That way, at least from your end, you know that neither of these services were tracking your "search patterns", "likes" etc. The problem today with the online world is that a majority of the "absolute genius" user-base proudly broadcast their personal information online for every Tom **** and Harry to see. Then, when things go awry, they start blaming the company behind the service. If you increasingly value convenience over everything else, then be prepared to face the consequences!

Paqman
May 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM

I'm assuming you refer to a hypothetical scenario existing in some alternate reality? Here on Earth Google are well aware that the competition is only a click away and have done a good job of building services people stick with.

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Its a cloud operating system. You boot into the cloud and get your work done there and you will still be able to work offline... like under the Chunnel. With Google, you can access your content on the Web 24/7 from a single portal instead of running different software programs to accomplish your goals. Its seductively simple.

It may not replace the traditional desktop but if offers another way of working productively. And its Linux! :)

Fedz
May 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM
The prices on rent sounds fantastic mind & I've just read Three confirmed as UK Chromebook 3G connectivity partner (http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/three-confirmed-as-uk-chromebook-3g-connectivity-partner-955347) which is my mobile (cellular) phone & broadband provider ... plus I love cloud based ... Yikes! Google Chromebook is growing on me ... :o

uRock
May 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM

My 14 month old netbook still gets 10 hours per charge. Not bad for $350. My $1000 HP notebook gets maybe 2 hours with a brand new battery.

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
If you already how to run Google Chrome browser, this OS won't pose any difficulty for newbies.

If you need to run an application, if you don't already have it, you can get it from the Google Store.

benerivo
May 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM
What is the best price that is being offered? I'm looking at...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebook#Sale_and_pricing_models
and it doesn't look that good. Basically all that it offers, is currently available for free on your existing hardware (which works when you don't have a net connection, unlike chromebook)

Fedz
May 13th, 2011, 09:48 PM
What is the best price that is being offered? I'm looking at...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebook#Sale_and_pricing_models
and it doesn't look that good. Basically all that it offers, is currently available for free on your existing hardware (which works when you don't have a net connection, unlike chromebook)
Renting is for businesses & education customers - that price looks dandy p/m but, personal customers afaik pay full price for the unit but, you only get 100MB data p/m & extra is $20 (USD) per GB - which is a shocker & guess you'll soon whizz thru that menial bandwidth.

del_diablo
May 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM
My 14 month old netbook still gets 10 hours per charge. Not bad for $350. My $1000 HP notebook gets maybe 2 hours with a brand new battery.

Then you realize that that old netbook could have had even more effective parts, and a larger battery.
Take a look Fujitsus Lifebook series, the latest is 12 inch laptops with i7 cpus that have a large sign saying "18 hours battery life".
That computer eats battery compared to what a netbook could have.
Then we have the small mental side effect of not having to charge the computer after 2-3 long sessions. It waistly improves the user experience.
While not "shabby" compared to normal computers, removing the "i need to recharge" part of the mentality means that you will use the computer properly portable, instead of hoarding battery life praying that you do not run out when going for a really long trip.

smellyman
May 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
My Arch install boots in 20 secs or so (guessing here). I could install Chrome and full screen it......BAM....I have Chromebook.

What a waste of money. Why not spend LESS money on a netbook and have a full OS?

That being said. it is Google and they OWN us. It will be a success.

el_koraco
May 13th, 2011, 10:59 PM
My Arch install boots in 20 secs or so (guessing here). I could install Chrome and full screen it......BAM....I have Chromebook.

And the Chromebook is not vanilla.