PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I boot normally into 11.04?

Robbyx
May 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I reinstalled ubuntu from the live cd.

Now I can not boot normally. I have to do boot via 2.6.38-8 not 9 which is in the grub.

I can only get into Ubuntu if I use recovery failsafe low graphics mode.

If I use normal mode there is an error: gdm-binary: could not acquire name; bailing out.

How can I stabilise the boot process so that i do not need to use recovery mode?

Robbyx
May 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I have it working by installing the nvidia drivers through update manager.

Any ideas how to get to install the 2.6.38-9. i am only seeing -8 in synaptic, but my grub defaults to -9.

coffeecat
May 12th, 2011, 01:50 PM
At the moment kernel 2.6.38-8 is the latest released Natty version, so I don't understand how you got a -9 entry in grub. A question: do you have the proposed repository enabled? If you do, disable it. It's only for testing proposed packages, not all of which survive the QC process.

Also - open a terminal and run:

sudo update-grubThat might make the spurious -9 grub entry disappear.

Robbyx
May 12th, 2011, 02:28 PM
At the moment kernel 2.6.38-8 is the latest released Natty version, so I don't understand how you got a -9 entry in grub. A question: do you have the proposed repository enabled? If you do, disable it. It's only for testing proposed packages, not all of which survive the QC process.

Also - open a terminal and run:

sudo update-grubThat might make the spurious -9 grub entry disappear.

I have disabled the proposed repository.

The sudo update-grub didn't work for me. Is there a way of deleting that entry?

Robbyx
May 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Your advice now works. I had to delete the -9 image in /boot, first, and then run the grub update.

Thanks for your help