PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Install - New User - Graphical Issues - OS Unusable

Grimm Spector
May 12th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Never used Ubuntu before, made a fresh install on an old IBM from a couple years ago, and getting some serious display issue regardless of which mode I login to. (It does tell me I don't meet the specs to use Unity). However, even using Class with no effects causes the issues it just seems to be slightly lessened.

To summarize, I get weird artifacts in the display, it flickers when I click things, move to a new environment, the bar at the top of all cut up about 2/3 of the way down in the top right corner, and sometimes windows and things just simply disappear and I cannot see them at all it's as if things are hidden behind the desktop background or taskbar and randomly clicking around sometimes gets flickery versions of them to come up, other times not at all. Even the ctrl + alt + del window fails to show sometimes though it does come up and eventually turns off the system.

It's an onboard VGA connection I'm using, wondering what the deal is here...? This renders the entire OS unsusable to me, which is unfortunate.

An Sanct
May 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Well, unfortunately ... 11.04 is not a good entry level release, I'm not a novice user, but I still prefer to avoid it as much as possible.

My suggestion is to use 10.04 or 10.10, those two versions are highly stable and polished products.

I'm not saying, 11.04 is bad, its just out and needs some polishing before it will be a product like 10.10 (specially on older hardware).

Kudos to the 11.04 team!

Grimm Spector
May 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Well, unfortunately ... 11.04 is not a good entry level release, I'm not a novice user, but I still prefer to avoid it as much as possible.

My suggestion is to use 10.04 or 10.10, those two versions are highly stable and polished products.

I'm not saying, 11.04 is bad, its just out and needs some polishing before it will be a product like 10.10 (specially on older hardware).

Kudos to the 11.04 team!

Thanks, I worried that might be the case, I'm not a complete linux newbie but I haven't used it since oh about a decade ago...and then only briefly so I remember little, but I figure it ccouldn't be the hardware it's well above the specs, wondering if it's how it's rendering to the VGA card, or possibly even doesn't like the monitor, I tried everything from resolution to refresh rate, etc. no dice.

I'll check out an older build, where can I find the download links for the older builds? And is this merely a graphical problem or would it be wise when I start server'ing some boxes to use the older build as well if the hardware is 3-5 years old?

Edit: P.S. your name makes me think of an old UO spell.

An Sanct
May 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Older releases are available from the Ubuntu site (http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/releases/) (DVD images) and another link (http://releases.ubuntu.com/) (CD images)

The problem you see should be just graphics related.
I have a rather new computer (i5, 8Gb ram, 512mb GPU, lots of disk) and still had problems with 11.04 :(

This should not apply for server editions, since there is no GUI in server builds (you need none, do you :))

Besides, for server editions it is highly recommended to use the latest "LTS" (Long Term Support) edition, which is 10.04 right now.

PS. The nick is from before UO was out, it came across my mind in the era of U6 :) the Commodore 64 version ;)