PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Jabber Server

Kimm
May 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Could anyone recommend a good Jabber server?
I want to use Jabber instead of MSN, but I want to keep all my MSN Contacts (and no, I cant convert them...). Transports solve that issue, but I have some problems, I need filetransfer to work and I'd prefer to have Buddy Icons and Status texts.

Right now I'm using jabber.dk for "regular" Jabber usage and jabber.no for MSN, but jabber.no doesnt support filetransfers.

If someone could give me a server I can use that supports (almost) completely MSN that would be wounderfull.

Kimm
May 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
/bump

imagine
May 15th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Hmm, can't help you, but wouldn't it be easier to use a multi-protocol client and feed your MSN account data to your client instead to a jabber server?
And with a real jabber client it should be possible to use the transports feature of a server without having an account there.

The problem with MSN is, that Micros~1 doesn't allow any third party products to connect to their .NET Messenger Service. If you do that at home for yourself it's your own risk, but administrators of jabber servers usually don't want to risk a lawsuit because of that.

Edit: Did you try jabbernet.dk?

dapperjohndoe
May 17th, 2006, 03:32 PM
swissjabber.org is a recommendable Jabber server.

John

linuxunil
May 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I would use ejabberd

Nomis
June 13th, 2006, 11:18 AM
It would be nice if Ubuntu would start a jabber server. : A @ubuntu.com would look nice. ;)