PDA

View Full Version : Cannot login after upgrade to 11.04 (Dual Monitors)

erickdh
May 12th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I have a dual monitor setup and I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 video card. I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04. I enter my username and password. The screen blinks like it's going to log me in but the login prompt comes right back. The same thing happens on a second account I have on the PC. After trying a number things that didn't fix the problem I decided to reinstall with an 11.04 live cd. I chose to do an upgrade. Doing the upgrade disabled the dual monitor setup and I could login with cloned monitors.

I then reconfigure the PC for dual monitors and rebooted. I am now unable to login AGAIN. Apparently 11.04 doesn't like dual monitors. Hopefully someone finds a fix soon.

UPDATE:
I replaced Unity with Gnome 3 and I used the "Ubuntu Gnome Shell Desktop". I still had the same issue until I switch to "Ubuntu Safe mode". Both of these desktop can be found at the bottom of the screen after you highlight your username at the logon prompted. My desktop now looks very similar to the way it looked in version 10.10 but I can now login with dual desktop configured.