PDA

View Full Version : What do people shave with???

speedwell68
May 11th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Just wondered. In the last year I have started using and collecting classic doubled edged safety razors, brushes and shaving creams. Partly because they give a better quality shave and are much cheaper, partly because they offer more choice and because the traditional creams and soaps available are much nicer and kinder to the skin than modern canned goos.

spynappels
May 11th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Chuck Norris' hunting knife!
I hate shaving but use an electric shaver as it is quicker.

Not unique
May 11th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Electric, Quick and easy.

Retlol
May 11th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hot water and a cheap razor, i'm a man.

el_koraco
May 11th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Double bladed safety razor for a few years. I shave my head, chest, everything, so a straight razor is not in question. Can't see myself going to mach3 and stuff.

aguafina
May 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
hot water and a cheap razor, i'm a man.

+1

danbuter
May 11th, 2011, 10:48 PM
double bladed safety razor for a few years. I shave my head, chest, everything, so a straight razor is not in question. Can't see myself going to mach3 and stuff.

tmi! tmi!

aguafina
May 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Once tried electric but they don't get nice and close like a manual razor does.

danbuter
May 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I use a disposable razor and regular shaving cream. Followed by some Old Spice.

handy
May 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Why bother!?

el_koraco
May 11th, 2011, 10:52 PM
tmi! tmi!

i get that a lot :)

NovaAesa
May 11th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I've been using a double edge razor for about a year now. I've got a Gillette Fat Boy manufactured in 1961, still works like a charm! I've got a Merkur 38C as well, but it doesn't see very much use these days.

uRock
May 11th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Machete.

_outlawed_
May 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Machete.

Like a boss.

BigCityCat
May 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Why bother!?

I'm not allowed to go to work looking like a member of AlQeada.:)

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Why bother!?

:lolflag: :lolflag:

I have not shaved for the last 46 years.

red_Marvin
May 12th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Machete.

Chainsaw.

sostentado
May 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Anything will do...

juancarlospaco
May 12th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Lightsaber

tgm4883
May 12th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Machete.

When you absolutely positively have to shave every last hair

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158331&d=1305156934

Dustin2128
May 12th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I just dip the lower half of my face in kerosene once a week and light it on fire. As men once did.

uRock
May 12th, 2011, 12:36 AM
When you absolutely positively have to shave every last hair

Lol!

Timmer1240
May 12th, 2011, 12:38 AM
disposable razor for the cheeks and just a scissors for the mustache and goate once I grew this I never want to shave it off I like it so much

tgm4883
May 12th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Lol!

Thanks uRock, I didn't intend for it to be so large.

forrestcupp
May 12th, 2011, 02:09 AM

I use hot water with an expensive schick quatro razor. No shaving cream or after shave for me.

Bandit
May 12th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I use a Gillette Fusion Pro Glide (http://www.gillette.com/en/us/Products/Razors/proglide.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=fusion%2Bpro-glide&utm_campaign=Gillette.B.R_Search_ProGlide%2BVideo% 2BPlus%2BBox_2010). This is seriously the best, smoothest and most comfortable razor I have ever used. Standard or Electric.. Beats a Mac3 turbo hands down..

Dustin2128
May 12th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Reminds me of that thread a few months ago "Recommend a beard cutting machine".

MasterNetra
May 12th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I used to shave with hot water, and a dull disposable, traded up to a dull mach 3 + shaving creme, for light stuff a crappy electric razor.

Throne777
May 12th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I'm not allowed to go to work looking like a member of AlQeada.:)

What, dead and at the bottom of the sea? :p

Rasa1111
May 12th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Why bother!?

Indeed.

shave?
what's that? :guitar:

I'm not allowed to go to work looking like a member of AlQeada.

Bummer.
I am. lol

I'm also asked if I am of "Arab" descent..
But I am not. lol

lisati
May 12th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Lawn Mower

Hot water and cheap disposable, sometimes with shaving cream, other times lathered up soap.

coffee412
May 12th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I get some "edge gel" cream in a can and a double edge plastic razor. Works for me. I liked those disposable Bics.

I have tried electric razors but dont care for them at all. Just didnt seem to cut that well. Did a Norelco and used to have this really old beast when I first started shaving. Noisy bugger.

I do have a mustache though. Since 18. Never will get rid of it. Like it too much.

coffee

NightwishFan
May 12th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I would need a katana to cut my neck beard. (No, I am just joking) I dont have a neck beard but I do have a Civil War mustache. :D

I use disposables myself.

pi3.1415926535...
May 12th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I wonder what percentage of the shaving population knows how to shave with a straight blade razor.

coffee412
May 12th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I wonder what percentage of the shaving population knows how to shave with a straight blade razor.

You can always practice on cats :p

The Pontificator
May 12th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I have three Gillette ball-end Techs, a 1940's Gillette Super Speed (twist to open) and a 1940's GEM G-Bar flat top.

I like C.O. Bigelow shave cream (Proraso - Italy). Sometimes I add a couple of drops of glycerin and maybe a squirt of Kiss My Face Mint Cream Shave to make uberlather.

I'm very happy with my $10 Omega 10051 boar brush (Italy). It's a lather monster.

Finish with witch hazel and aftershave. Right now because warm weather is here I use Barbasol Pacific Rush or Brisk ($1.75 at Dollar General) or Osage Rub.

Oh, and it took me three months to learn how to use a safety razor consistently. My shaving then took a quantum leap when I went from using hot water to ICE-COLD WATER.

Yep, I'm a cold water shaver. WOO HOO!

My fav shaving forum? BADGER & BLADE

ctrlmd
May 12th, 2011, 04:57 AM
when it comes to shaving its usually like this
http://i.imgur.com/2ctlh.jpg
:lolflag:

j/k

i use gillette mach3

uRock
May 12th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Yep, I'm a cold water shaver. WOO HOO!

Eek, I hated shaving with cold water in the Army. When I was stateside and went to the field I took my propane burner with me for boiling water to make coffee and making steaming hot water for shaving.

Bandit
May 12th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Eek, I hated shaving with cold water in the Army. When I was stateside and went to the field I took my propane burner with me for boiling water to make coffee and making steaming hot water for shaving.
OMG I know you right..

Rasa1111
May 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM
My fav shaving forum? BADGER & BLADE

"shaving forum"? :lol:

wow...
People like shaving soo much there are FORUMS for it? O_o
haha, crazy.

Warpnow
May 12th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Wilkinson Sword.

Its like the gilette razors you see but the refills are way cheaper. Refill blades are 4 for $5. They sell them at Walmart. Blade itself is only $5, too. Works well. Make by Schick I believe, just branded differently to hit different markets.

speedwell68
May 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Wilkinson Sword.

Its like the gilette razors you see but the refills are way cheaper. Refill blades are 4 for $5. They sell them at Walmart. Blade itself is only $5, too. Works well. Make by Schick I believe, just branded differently to hit different markets.

4 for $5, OMG. On a DE I can get 50 blades for that price. All of these modern cartridge razors are like the Microsoft of the shaving world. Seriously Procter and Gamble (Gillette) and Shick (Wilkinson Sword) are taking most people to the cleaners with their cartridge razors. I have a 1953 Gillette Superspeed and a 2009 Muhle R89. The R89 is my favourite by far, it cost me £25 and will last forever and all the cream and blades I need cost less than £7 a year.

The Muhle R89...

http://www.mancave.co.nz/images/productimages/muhle%20r89%20safety%20razor%20large.png

It cannot be beat IMHO.

Lucradia
May 12th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Electric Shavers, no aftershave as I don't get razor burn with these things.

good2gogirl1975
May 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Which way is better to shave going against the grain or with... I noticed that going against can create more irritation can anyone comfirm this? Or am I an isolated incident?

matt_symes
May 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I shave with a chainsaw.

Hurmff.

Lucradia
May 12th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Which way is better to shave going against the grain or with... I noticed that going against can create more irritation can anyone comfirm this? Or am I an isolated incident?

Depends on the type of shaver. For instance, an electric shaver with the three circular heads prevents this.

mips
May 12th, 2011, 10:25 AM
http://glenbrookzerowaste.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/safety-razzor.jpg

I also have two of these
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/No_name_straight_razor.JPG/280px-No_name_straight_razor.JPG

But they are blunt and I don't have a strop or a hone :(

Bapun007
May 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM
+1 i am too

speedwell68
May 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Irritation can be caused by many factors. Normally it is down to bad prep. I only shave after a shower as the hot water makes your skin and stubble much more supple. When shaving try to apply the minimum amount of pressure possible, let the weight of the razor handle do the work for you. Also your 'lather' or foam may not be providing enough lubrication. I went over to a classic double edged razor as they offer the minimum amount of irritation. These multiblade razors are a con, the first blade will remove all the lubrication from your face, leaving your skin exposed to the subsequent blades, the con is that Procter and Gamble can now sell you some expensive balm products to save your face from the damage caused by their cheaply made overpriced razor. A proper lather from a soap or cream, whipped up with a brush, in a bowl will provide you with a much better lubricant than any of the modern canned goos. Also after the shave rinse your entire face and neck properly with very cold water, be sure not to miss any areas, this will help to close the pores of your skin properly. Another tip to guard against irritation is to never wipe your skin dry, always dab it dry.

matt_symes
May 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by good2gogirl1975 http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10804719#post10804719)

Irritation can be caused by many factors. Normally it is down to bad prep. I only shave after a shower as the hot water makes your skin and stubble much more supple. When shaving try to apply the minimum amount of pressure possible, let the weight of the razor handle do the work for you. Also your 'lather' or foam may not be providing enough lubrication. I went over to a classic double edged razor as they offer the minimum amount of irritation. These multiblade razors are a con, the first blade will remove all the lubrication from your face, leaving your skin exposed to the subsequent blades, the con is that Procter and Gamble can now sell you some expensive balm products to save your face from the damage caused by their cheaply made overpriced razor. A proper lather from a soap or cream, whipped up with a brush, in a bowl will provide you with a much better lubricant than any of the modern canned goos. Also after the shave rinse your entire face and neck properly with very cold water, be sure not to miss any areas, this will help to close the pores of your skin properly. Another tip to guard against irritation is to never wipe your skin dry, always dab it dry.

I do hope good2gogirl1975 is not shaving her face :D

Only a joke ;)

Rasa1111
May 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I noticed that going against can create more irritation can anyone comfirm this? Or am I an isolated incident?

I think simple logic would confirm it. lol
But I havent shaved in ages.
So i dont know..

HappinessNow
May 12th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I don't shave but I do trim with a Wahl

wilee-nilee
May 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Reluctance.:popcorn:

jhonan
May 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
For years I'd used Gillette Fusion, the one with the vibrating handle and expensive cartridges.

But last December I bought some plastic disposable razors, Boots own brand - and they were fantastic http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Triple-Blade-Disposable-Razors-4-Pack_42140/

I'm tempted to buy that Muhle R89 to see what its like. It also means I can join another forum relating to an obscure hobby. (Who'd ever have thought shaving would turn into a hobby?)

el_koraco
May 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I'm tempted to buy that Muhle R89 to see what its like.

A single blade causes much less skin irritation than the multi-bladed razors, which rip and tear a lot.

Grenage
May 12th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I started out on the usual generic 20-blade, vibrating, light-sporting, lube-strip bearing tosh, then went over to a DE razor. I eventually moved on to a Straight Razor - I never cut myself with it, but I used to get the odd nick with a DE. If you did cut yourself, you'd know about it.

Pot of shaving soap costs me £5 every 2 years, but the razor, stones and strops will outlive me.

Of course, if a relatively crap shave is worth not spending 20 minutes in front of a mirror, a disposable or electric will do.

renzokuken
May 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
samurai sword ! haha.

really dont get on with electric, and anything with more than 3 blades. i tend to use a beard trimmer to keep it stubbly cos if i remove it all with a wet shave i look about 4 years old

speedwell68
May 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm tempted to buy that Muhle R89 to see what its like. It also means I can join another forum relating to an obscure hobby. (Who'd ever have thought shaving would turn into a hobby?)

If you do go for a DE razor be sure to order yourself a sample pack of different blades. There is no such thing as a bad DE blade, but blade choice is a very personal thing. A blade that works well for one person might not work so well with the next guy. When shaving with a DE for the first time remember to keep the pressure at a minimum, use very short strokes and take your time. Shaving is skill that was passed down from father to son, these skills have now skipped a generation and modern cartridge razors have removed all skill from the proces. As with al things, practice makes perfect.

Gerontion
May 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Just wondered. In the last year I have started using and collecting classic doubled edged safety razors, brushes and shaving creams.Me too. I started a few years ago after it was no longer possible to get the blades to fit my old razor. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it but I guess Gillette or whoever decided that selling them didn't cover whatever insane amount of money they pay to Thierry Henry, Tiger Woods and Roger Federer for promoting their pointlessly complicated new products. So I thought, in an utterly futile gesture, right you b*stards, you're not going to win - it's old-fashioned soap and safety razors from now on.

Fedz
May 12th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Wet Shave with disposable razors:
Wilkinson Sword Razor Blades, Extra II, Sensitive x10 (http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/deep_link.jsp?DEEP_LINK._jspn=2706986)
I'm always clean shaven ... sm-o-o-th ;-)

forrestcupp
May 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I recently went to Walmart to buy some cheap razors to shave around a surgery incision so medical tape would stick better and not cause problems. I was looking for razors that don't have a lube strip because that makes the skin slick and adhesive won't stick to it.

They had about 15 different kinds of cheap disposable razors and I finally found only one kind that doesn't have a lube strip. What's this world coming to?

Grenage
May 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
What's this world coming to?

A world where all men have baby faces, and stroke their cheek while smiling into the mirror?

Attractive ladies are just waiting to walk up behind you to join in with the grinning.

uRock
May 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I recently went to Walmart to buy some cheap razors to shave around a surgery incision so medical tape would stick better and not cause problems. I was looking for razors that don't have a lube strip because that makes the skin slick and adhesive won't stick to it.

They had about 15 different kinds of cheap disposable razors and I finally found only one kind that doesn't have a lube strip. What's this world coming to?

Walmarts here have them locked in a case and the clerks give an attitude if you don't pick what you want right away. I have started the habit of calling them over, then saying, "Oops, you don't have my brand." then walking away. I hate it when they imply that everyone is a thief and hold your hand to prevent theft of stuff like that.

forrestcupp
May 12th, 2011, 04:37 PM
A world where all men have baby faces, and stroke their cheek while smiling into the mirror?

Attractive ladies are just waiting to walk up behind you to join in with the grinning.After they fall off the treadmill because they were staring at you. :)

Walmarts here have them locked in a case and the clerks give an attitude if you don't pick what you want right away. I have started the habit of calling them over, then saying, "Oops, you don't have my brand." then walking away. I hate it when they imply that everyone is a thief and hold your hand to prevent theft of stuff like that.
That sucks. Around here, they lock up the cologne, but not the razors. Our Kroger has the razors inside a case, but it's not locked. That makes a lot of sense.

uRock
May 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Attractive ladies are just waiting to walk up behind you to join in with the grinning.

After they fall off the treadmill because they were staring at you. :)

Is this an Axe commercial for their new line of razors and aftershaves?

Kaziklu
May 12th, 2011, 04:53 PM
No one shaves with Bees in a clamshell anymore?

Young people today.

In all seriousness though, I shave with a pro fusion, and I use shaving soap with a brush.

uRock
May 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Has anyone tried waxing their face? That'd make an awesome YouTube video.

Lucradia
May 12th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Has anyone tried waxing their face? That'd make an awesome YouTube video.

And if you can uproot those pesky hair roots, you may not ever have to shave again ;o

uRock
May 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM
And if you can uproot those pesky hair roots, you may not ever have to shave again ;o

I'd consider that a blessing. I hate shaving.

mips
May 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I started out on the usual generic 20-blade, vibrating, light-sporting, lube-strip bearing tosh, then went over to a DE razor. I eventually moved on to a Straight Razor - I never cut myself with it, but I used to get the odd nick with a DE. If you did cut yourself, you'd know about it.

Pot of shaving soap costs me £5 every 2 years, but the razor, stones and strops will outlive me.

Of course, if a relatively crap shave is worth not spending 20 minutes in front of a mirror, a disposable or electric will do.

Ideally you need a set of four or so straight razors you can rotate.

They really do provide the best shave I have ever experienced. First few times I nicked myself but after that I became quite a "pro" at it.

My problem is I don't have a strop or a hone for my two straight razors so they are currently blunt. Over here the only place i can buy those items from are some exclusive barber shops (not many around) that charge an arm and a leg for stuff. Next time my brother comes back out from the UK I will ask im to source me some second hand kit. My straight razors came from the UK (used as well) and were cheap.

dh04000
May 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/4F7TMlrDXtw&hl=en

Introducing the Mach 20!

matt_symes
May 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM

Introducing the Mach 20!

:popcorn:

forrestcupp
May 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Introducing the Mach 20!

That's great.

Did you notice the whole time the husband is talking, she is mouthing everything he says?

solitaire
May 12th, 2011, 07:09 PM
+1

But I usually use old fashioned shaving soap brush and one of those Gillette fusion trimmer (just use the electric trimmer bit! not bought blade for it since i got it 2 years ago) and a cheap razor to finnish off the stubble, if I've not shaved for a few weeks.

Saves me going through 4 or 5 cheap razors getting rid of the beard (and stops me from looking like Freddy Kruger).

VCoolio
May 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM
hot water, foam, rasor. Like in Scorsese's wonderful short here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otxlzSMcBTo), but then only once a day.

BigSilly
May 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Wilkinson Quattro. I'm a man, who doesn't want to look like crap.

:D

Hot water, shave gel, and take your time. Only shave every other day too, that way you don't knacker your face in (imho).

speedwell68
May 12th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Wilkinson Quattro. I'm a man, who doesn't want to look like crap.

Such a man you need little wires to stop you from cutting yourself.:biggrin:

BigSilly
May 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Such a man you need little wires to stop you from cutting yourself.:biggrin:

They do nothing. I still end up looking like I stepped off the set of Saw. I like a close shave and to not look like garbage. Though I will admit to having a bit of the hippy in me, and I've been toying with the idea of growing my hair and having a big beard. The missus isn't happy. :D

speedwell68
May 12th, 2011, 11:15 PM

They do nothing. I still end up looking like I stepped off the set of Saw. I like a close shave and to not look like garbage. Though I will admit to having a bit of the hippy in me, and I've been toying with the idea of growing my hair and having a big beard. The missus isn't happy. :D

Try a proper DE safety razor, I promise you'll not regret it.

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Since someone mentioned a "shaving forum", I just had to see it for myself...

My goodness... Some of these guys are like woman, with all their facial products and cream collections.
Taking pics of their newly acquired "creams and soaps and gels".

Couldn't believe it.
(really though, I can) lol

and they actually collect these things "razors"!

:lol:

Stop the Planet please..
I need to get off of it.... lol

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 12:10 AM
One could say the same of most collections, but at least theirs has a practical use. :)

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2011, 12:30 AM
That is true, Grenage.

danbuter
May 13th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I'd love to get a straight razor but they are illegal.

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I'd love to get a straight razor but they are illegal.

lol, so?
Don't let someone/some group dictate what you can or cannot own.
Don't take it out of your house and carry it around with you, and you're golden.
Double edge knives are "illegal" to, but many people still collect them.
No need to obey such silly "laws". lol
My family in law enforcement don't obey them, nor do any of their co-workers.. so why should we?

CharlesA
May 13th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Hmm, I just use some "lectric shave (http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Lectric-Electric-Pre-Shave-Original/dp/B000052Y6Z)" and a regular Norelco shaver.

NightwishFan
May 13th, 2011, 02:44 AM
My family in law enforcement don't obey them, nor do any of their co-workers.. so why should we?

I get where you are coming from... However "the law is the law" is my opinion. Best option where I come from is work to have it changed.

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I get where you are coming from... However "the law is the law" is my opinion. Best option where I come from is work to have it changed.

Yes, "the law is the law"....
but in my opinion..
only until it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Then it might as well not even exist, because i wont give it 2nd thought. <3

Superkoop
May 13th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I despise shaving. It's the devil. So I use an electric shaver.

crjackson
May 13th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I just look into the mirror and growl at them whiskers. The fall out and get too damned scared to grow back. They taught me that in the 10th special forces group while in Ft. Devens.

good2gogirl1975
May 13th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Depends on the type of shaver. For instance, an electric shaver with the three circular heads prevents this.

And with a regular shaver with or against the grain?

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I can't believe that straight razors are illegal over there.

el_koraco
May 13th, 2011, 10:07 AM
And with a regular shaver with or against the grain?

With the grain, multiple passes. If you have a very strong beard, on the third pass you might wanna go against the grain, but the trick is not to press down hard.

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Generally it's recommended not to go against the grain - especially with multi-blade systems; you're more likely to get in-grown hairs. With an electric it doesn't matter, because it's not really shaving, just cutting the hair short.

jhonan
May 13th, 2011, 11:26 AM
If you do go for a DE razor be sure to order yourself a sample pack of different blades. There is no such thing as a bad DE blade, but blade choice is a very personal thing.
Thanks for the advice - I'm putting an order in for this with the Muhle R89;

http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

It comes with a selection of blades. On that point, I can't believe how cheap the DE blades are! 100 blades for €10. Up to now I've been paying €12 for 8 Mach3 blades. That's crazy.

speedwell68
May 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the advice - I'm putting an order in for this with the Muhle R89;

http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

It comes with a selection of blades. On that point, I can't believe how cheap the DE blades are! 100 blades for €10. Up to now I've been paying €12 for 8 Mach3 blades. That's crazy.

Excellent. But don't be to shell out on a bulk load of one particular brand of blade until you have tried a few different brands, you might be stuck with something you don't like. Also, stick with one brand of blade and soap all the way through as you are learning. If you have problems you'll find it difficult to identify the cause of the problem if you keep on changing the variables, I hope that makes sense.

Another top tip is to search YouTube for a guy called Mantic59 his video channel is full of some great instructional videos.

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM
He should probably also invest in a styptic pencil; the first few shaves will be... different. At least the cuts don't really hurt - the blades are so sharp that you don't really notice it.

el_koraco
May 13th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Mantic59

!!!
the king of shaving. Really, his videos are all you need.

speedwell68
May 13th, 2011, 03:45 PM
he should probably also invest in a styptic pencil; the first few shaves will be... Different. At least the cuts don't really hurt - the blades are so sharp that you don't really notice it.

+1.

ratcheer
May 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I shave with a good double-edge razor and imported Japanese blades. Also a badger hair brush and good shaving soap.

Tim

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I shave with a good double-edge razor and imported Japanese blades. Also a badger hair brush and good shaving soap.

Tim

People should probably start replacing their system spec signatures with their razor of choice; oldest wins!

BeRoot ReBoot
May 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I can't believe that straight razors are illegal over there. Wha...seriously? Where do you live, north Korea? Do they also make you use plastic butter knives? I only ever shave with a straight razor, in a proper barber shop. There's something invigorating about letting another man hold a blade to your throat. Also, the consequences are invariably bloody when I attempt to shave myself, be it a straight razor or a safety blade.

speedwell68
May 13th, 2011, 04:07 PM
People should probably start replacing their system spec signatures with their razor of choice; oldest wins!

My oldest is an English made 1953 Gillette Superspeed, TBH I much prefer my 2009 Muhle R89 it is a much more adaptable razor.

My ideal shaving setup is my Muhle R89, a medium Cyril R Salter Best Badger brush, Dorco ST301 blades and a tube of Palmolive Classic shave cream. Although I do have a liking for Cyril R Salter Essential Lime cream and Dettol Citrus.

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Muhle R89 has a lot of happy customers.

I use an old Dovo 5/8 hollow, and normally with taylor of old bond street soap (sometimes musgo real). Same brush!

uRock
May 13th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Try a proper DE safety razor, I promise you'll not regret it.

DE? Diatomaceous Earth (http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html)? It works great for my sparkling clear pool, but for a face?

jhonan
May 13th, 2011, 05:05 PM
DE? Diatomaceous Earth (http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html)? It works great for my sparkling clear pool, but for a face?
Desktop Environment. :P

So the starter kit I'm going for has the following;

Merkur 1904 Safety Razor upgradable to a Mühle R89 or Merkur HD 34c
Razor blade sampler pack (18 blades)
Omega 48 Professional brush
Proraso Italian Shaving Cream
Styptic Pencil

There's a styptic pencil in there, perhaps I should order an extra one! :)

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM
There's a styptic pencil in there, perhaps I should order an extra one! :)

They last a very long time, and you'll rarely need it after a short time. ;)

ratcheer
May 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Mine isn't very old, just a 5 or 6 year old Merkur Classic. I also have a couple of newer ones, an Edwin Jagger with a Merkur head and a fancy handle, and one of those really fancy space-age Merkurs (I can't remember the name of it, off the top of my head).

I also have a very old (ca early 1930's) open comb Gillette razor, but I never shave with it. It is way too aggressive for my skin type.

Tim

Oxwivi
May 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I haven't shaved since my facial hair has started growing (one or two years, still less than 3 cm average), I wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to pose as the next Richard Stallman/terrorist!

Disclaimer I neither am a fanatical believer of Richard Stallman nor do I imply that he is a terrorist.

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
a fanatical believer of Richard Stallman nor do I imply that he is a terrorist.

Everything is starting to fall into place... ;)

Oxwivi
May 13th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Everything is starting to fall into place... ;)
H-huh? What is?

zealibib slaughter
May 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM
*nix users are suppose to shave? :o

bowens44
May 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM
A dull spoon and oven cleaner......

Ranko Kohime
May 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Bull. The law deals with real—not imagined—injury to people. If no injury has occurred then it is not within the domain of law.

Perhaps you are confused by the codes and statutes that everyone makes believe are law?

And few codes and statutes change by a clamor. Only when the general populace defies these as if they did not exist do they change.

Ranko Kohime
May 13th, 2011, 10:02 PM
As for me, currently on electric, but have used the disposables in the past. I'd like to try a Straight razor. I have one, of dubious quality, (which I may replace later), but it is need of a good honing and stropping.

Can anyone recommend a good kit for Straight razor shaving that includes the whole nine yards? (Strop, hone, brush, etc)

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 11:30 PM
As for me, currently on electric, but have used the disposables in the past. I'd like to try a Straight razor. I have one, of dubious quality, (which I may replace later), but it is need of a good honing and stropping.

Can anyone recommend a good kit for Straight razor shaving that includes the whole nine yards? (Strop, hone, brush, etc)

You don't need anything fancy, and you probably don't want to hone the blade yourself for at least the first time. If you get it done by someone experienced, then you'll know what sort of result you're aiming for - don't strop it the first time, either.

The best place to go would be one of the main forums - the straight razor place, and badger and blade are good ones. A kind chap in the States honed mine for only the cost of returning it, a local barber shop will probably do it for very little.

danbuter
May 14th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Perhaps you are confused by the codes and statutes that everyone makes believe are law?

If said code or statute will cause me to have to pay a fine or even go to jail for a few days, it's effectively a law. And I'm not willing to risk either just for a stupid straight razor.

sidzen
May 14th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Gillette Fusion, gel shaving cream.

Oxwivi
May 14th, 2011, 07:01 AM
*nix users are suppose to shave? :o
That's what I'm thinkin'! There's no time to see ourselves in the mirror!