PDA

View Full Version : A good series on the history of the Amiga:

handy
May 11th, 2011, 08:01 PM
For those that haven't come across these articles, here are the nine +, well researched, informative articles that go a long way in giving the reader a good general outline of much of the story behind the amazing Amiga computer phenomenon:

http://www.jeremyreimer.com/postman/node/304

eolson
May 12th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Hadn't had a chance to read them yet, but looking forward to it. Ran a couple Amiga's back in the day and loved them. I think I may have one kicking around out in storage. Not sure. It was a fantastic machine in it's day. There were a lot of great machines back then. The Amiga came in toward the end of a great era in computing. The Radio Shack Xenix (I think Tandy 3000, not sure) was probably the forerunner of Linux. Then again, maybe not. There's always the great grand daddy, Unix is all it's forms. Either way, Amiga's were sweet machines.

mr.farenheit
May 13th, 2011, 05:10 AM
i've seen on the commodore usa website, looks like they're tryin to continue the amiga legacy by making new models and updating the amiga os. i never really got to play with them much back in the day, i guy up the street from me when i was younger had an amiga. all i had was a c64 and a ti-994/A.

handy
May 13th, 2011, 06:28 AM
i've seen on the commodore usa website, looks like they're tryin to continue the amiga legacy by making new models and updating the amiga os. i never really got to play with them much back in the day, i guy up the street from me when i was younger had an amiga. all i had was a c64 and a ti-994/A.

The CommodoreUSA guys are going to use Linux, probably a respun Ubuntu.

From my observations & conversations with them on their forum, they don't know too much about Linux either at this point.

I'll be surprised if they get beyond becoming another Windows vendor that may offer a Linux option on some of their machines.

At this point they have photos of the boxes they say are being made.

Having bought the Commodore name & associated brands & logos, does NOT an Amiga make.

CommodoreUSA are just another company that is trying to break into the computer market. They are not a team of brilliant engineers working at building their dream computer, as were those that created the Amiga.

I'd not be surprised if CommodoreUSA comes to nothing, & ends up selling the branding they bought, in an effort to help recover their costs.

Perhaps Hyperion Entertainment, the company that developed AmigaOS 4, will end up with the Commodore brand in the end. Which would be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

zebrazone
June 6th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I have been told that OS4 is quite bad AmigaOS clone with some BSD stuff inside. That company was famous for porting GPL games but never releasing source code to public.

Swagman
June 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Os4 is blazingly faaaaast

MUCH faster than linux

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSAhR7uXcCc) a little vid I created of my AmigaONE using Os4

Remember this.... That's just 800mhz. Notice just how quick the os is.

That machine is now a disassembled and is stored in th eloft as a home to the spiders.

I'll disagree with Handy on the name point hough.

Whoever has bought/licenced the name dictates what is that product. History be damned.

handy
June 8th, 2011, 01:24 AM
I'll have to disagree with you back again, on that "name point" Swagman. :)

The only ones who will be fooled by CommodoreUSA, will be those that have no empirical knowledge of the AmigaOS & hardware, & ALL, that, that stands for, in the history of computing.

Making a nice black box & sticking the Commodore & Amiga names on it & then running a re-spun version of Ubuntu, that at best has its own AmigaOS styled GUI, is nothing more than marketing, done as per usual to gain a financial profit. Which is what the species "Marketroid" was created for, it is in their DNA...

There has been no team of geniuses behind what CommodoreUSA are doing. They even go so low as to lie on their website, giving every impression that they possibly can that they are actually creating a genuine Amiga computer.

Which is impossible without the provision of genuine ground breaking hardware breakthroughs that go hand in hand with similar ground breaking breakthroughs in the OS.

In the end, CommodoreUSA are all about projected quarterly returns on investment.