PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trash Applet launches Archive Manager

pcchynoweth
May 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I am running Natty Narwhal with Gnome Classic (I can't get used to Unity). When I click the Trash Can the Archive Manager (file-roller) starts with

Could not create the archive

Archive type not supported.

I'm sure the default "open with" for the Trash folder has somehow been modified but I can't figure out how to change it back.

Krytarik
May 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Check the specifications in "~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" and remove the respective line.

Greetings.

cvielma
May 12th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Hi.

It is happening only with the Trash applet or every folder?

Through the GUI you could right clic it -> Open With -> Other Application -> write nautilus.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Krytarik
May 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM
It is happening only with the Trash applet or every folder?

Through the GUI you could right clic it -> Open With -> Other Application -> write nautilus.

Due to a fix, it isn't possible anymore to permanently change the mimetype association for folders that way, luckily.

And the Trash applet used to be not affected by the association for "inode/directory", at least until Natty.

So, please just post the content of the mentioned file.

mc4man
May 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Did a little ck.ing - this is what's supposed to happen in natty

by default there is no mimeapps.list until you set some association, then it's created

If you were to r. click on a folder and open w/ for example vlc then 2 new sections should be added with 2 inode/directory= lines

Ex. on a fresh install today this is my current mimeapps

[Default Applications]
x-content/audio-cdda=vlc-cd.desktop
inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

[Added Associations]
x-content/audio-cdda=vlc-cd.desktop;
inode/directory=vlc.desktop;

Now if the blue line wasn't created or removed then the [Added Associations] would take precedence and folders, inc trash, would be opened with vlc (or the first listed if multiple entries

So anyone upgrading to natty should probably start with a new mimeapps.list or make sure that there is a
[Default Applications] section with
inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

danielsun23
May 19th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I am having the exact same problem as initially listed; my trash applet tries to open via archive manager. I have checked my mimeapps.list , and it is the same as the one listed, and still does not work.

This only happens for the trash applet, I can still access the trash folder via Nautilus.

Thank you in advance.