PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot Ubuntu from USB mounted Android

dwiel
May 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I've seen how you can install Ubuntu onto a USB drive. Is there a way to do the same thing to an android phone while still allowing the phone to boot normally? I just figure I already carry the phone around all the time, why not use the spare space I have on the drive for my USB boot image rather than getting another device to remember to carry around.

It seems that it could be tricky if both Android and Ubuntu want to be in the same place ... Although I have seen some people dual boot Ubuntu and Android on their phone so maybe it is possible.

Thanks

zach

ThatCoolGuy220
May 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hi im a proud owner of a X10 mini with Cyanogenmod Mini Cm installed....

Idk if that could be a good idea

But if you still want to you should copy your cellphone files to another PC For backing them up later then format it using any of the bootable USB creators

(I would recomend you to look for Pendrivelinux,on Google then download Universal Usb Instaler, Also there are tutorials on the site)

But... even if you could you still have to mount the device (I think) Cause the cellphone always ask you to do so......

Other think you can try is to Do it on windows Mount the phone open the wubi.exe Aplication then choose (Demo and installation) Then choose (Reboot now)

Chances are your cellphone wil still be mounted after booting

Ps: I havent used it for that, I suggest you to Use a small USB or a SDcard adapte.

ThatCoolGuy220
May 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
You can Carry Them on the cellphone

just make sure they are Stored in a safe place if you are a ROOT user

You could use (Root Explorer) To Zip the files you wont use (I think The installation wizard will no use them)

then you can unzip them after the process

Also you can do it without the Ziping part But it gets to your own risk....

If you have Xrecovery, bricking your phone shouldnt be a big deal cuase you can download a Rom for fixing that......

dwiel
May 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
cool I might give that a try. Thanks!