PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 Fail

OoBooYooSir
May 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hi all..I tried to upgrade my AMD64 v10.04 (or v10.10 - can't quite remember) dual-monitor nvidia-based desktop to v11.04.

The first install attempt hung on the user-info input page, the forward button stayed dim no matter what. The next attempt hung on the HDD EXT4 partitioning but the third attempt got to a working Desktop. Worst installation process of Ubuntu to date.

No matter what I did to X-server I could not get the two desktop multi-monitor mode to function, it found my wallpaper well enough, but that's it. Deal breaker. Researching fixes only led me to dead ends. It worked and still works like a charm in 10.10 right from the start.

Worse was the rising frustration trying to use/disable/work around that damnable disappearing and misplaced Unity bar. Can't put icons in panels, can't find system tools, everything not where you expected it out of habit or just plain old desktop best-practices ignored for no benefit. Needed user choices removed or obfuscated, the lack of configuration is inexcusable.

Only after a clean install of 10.10 did I get back to a real, mature, workable desktop. I don't know what inspired the "My First Computer" approach to this modern desktop but 11.04 creates an instant sensation of triviality and profound lack of understanding of the 30 years plus and growing body of PC conventional wisdom.

11.04 Fail.

mörgæs
May 11th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

10.10 is not a bad choice. I am keeping it until the support runs out, skipping 11.04.

However, if you want to give 11.04 another try, I would recommend a fresh install. After this, booting into classic Gnome will give you a desktop more like what you are used to.

foresthill
May 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hi all..I tried to upgrade my AMD64 v10.04 (or v10.10 - can't quite remember) dual-monitor nvidia-based desktop to v11.04.

The first install attempt hung on the user-info input page, the forward button stayed dim no matter what. The next attempt hung on the HDD EXT4 partitioning but the third attempt got to a working Desktop. Worst installation process of Ubuntu to date.

No matter what I did to X-server I could not get the two desktop multi-monitor mode to function, it found my wallpaper well enough, but that's it. Deal breaker. Researching fixes only led me to dead ends. It worked and still works like a charm in 10.10 right from the start.

Worse was the rising frustration trying to use/disable/work around that damnable disappearing and misplaced Unity bar. Can't put icons in panels, can't find system tools, everything not where you expected it out of habit or just plain old desktop best-practices ignored for no benefit. Needed user choices removed or obfuscated, the lack of configuration is inexcusable.

Only after a clean install of 10.10 did I get back to a real, mature, workable desktop. I don't know what inspired the "My First Computer" approach to this modern desktop but 11.04 creates an instant sensation of triviality and profound lack of understanding of the 30 years plus and growing body of PC conventional wisdom.

11.04 Fail.

:D

Good stuff, especially the "My First Computer" observation.

I could not believe that in Unity the System Tools were SIMPLY NOT THERE. Trying to do something simple like changing the resolution of my monitor was an exercise in futility.

There's a difference between making an OS simple (nothing wrong with that) and locking people completely out of the settings on their own computer (inexcusable).

I think a much better way of doing this would be to get rid of the terminal, so there is absolutely no way of us end users altering any settings at all. And then maybe have a home folder and a browser on the desktop, and that's it.

100% foolproof, since that's what us users are, fools who can't be trusted with monkeying around with our own computer settings. :mad:

el_koraco
May 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM
:D

Good stuff, especially the "My First Computer" observation.

I could not believe that in Unity the System Tools were SIMPLY NOT THERE. Trying to do something simple like changing the resolution of my monitor was an exercise in futility.

There's a difference between making an OS simple (nothing wrong with that) and locking people completely out of the settings on their own computer (inexcusable).

I think a much better way of doing this would be to get rid of the terminal, so there is absolutely no way of us end users altering any settings at all. And then maybe have a home folder and a browser on the desktop, and that's it.

100% foolproof, since that's what us users are, fools who can't be trusted with monkeying around with our own computer settings. :mad:

actually, the control center is located right on the shutdown button, like in gnome shell. the fact that you didn't find it doesn't mean it's not there.