PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] disabling nolisten tcp in 11.04 gdm/X

melric
May 11th, 2011, 02:45 AM
I upgraded a working Ubuntu system that I'd previously configured to accept tcp connections for the X server, which it's magically gone and added back in again. I can't now figure out how to disable it.

I've edited /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas and changed DisallowTCP to false. I've edited /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc and removed the nolisten tcp line, but it still comes up with it.

The System->Administration->Login Screen has no option for security (pretty sure that's how I fixed it last time).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

jmaccelari
May 11th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I've also tried this (unsuccessfully) and also removed the "-nolisten tcp"option to X in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, restarted the service and also re-frikkin'-booted and still get: /usr/bin/X :0 -nr -verbose -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-4EGA78/database -nolisten tcp vt7 I can't use the ssh -X trick as I have to run apps off old Solaris servers that don't support it...

jmaccelari
May 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Sheez - there's a copy of gdm.schemas in /usr/share/gdm and this is the one it uses. Now working. This must be a bug...

melric
May 12th, 2011, 09:44 PM
That fixed it for me too. Cheers!

fmouse
July 2nd, 2011, 01:29 AM
<rant>
Sheesh!!! I'm configuring a virgin install of Ubuntu 11.04. I thought Linux was about choice. There's no config option for this. There's not even a gnome help file for en_US for gdm that talks about this!

Yes, this solution fixed the problem for me, too (thanks!) and I depend on being able run rxvt on servers and have the display show up on boxes on my private, RFC1918 network, accessible via VPN.

This is CRAP! I'm sorry to say it, but Canonical Partners is trying to out-Microsoft Microsoft when it comes to hiding stuff so as to protect us from ourselves. I started using X and appreciating the advantages of X back when Linux was at version 1.x.x, back in the 1990s. Unix, and by extension, Unix-derived OSes such as Linux are very powerful, and if you take reasonable care, very secure. I came to appreciate many of these advantages, and so I'm still using a Unix-based OS today for all my work, 17 years later. Now it seems we're being fed a lot of pablum and treated like children.

What's next? Will they redesign filesystem so as to nuke Unix permissions and ownership? How about NTFS-lite? Damn! :(
</rant>

fmouse
July 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM
Sorry, folks, but I've been working with Open Source software since the early 1980's, before "Open Source" was even a publicly acknowledge concept, thanks to the likes of Eric Raymond and Richard Stallman. I'm nearly 70 years old. Tell me to buzz off and go take my meds if you wish, but I still work as a Linux consultant and my opinions and insight are good enough to make the cut on numerous Linux technical forums.

basilarchia
September 10th, 2011, 05:09 AM
fmouse: You are totally correct. WTF is going on over at ubuntu? It's turned into a total disaster. The only thing they did right was the installer. Great installer & upgrade process. But, what is being installed is totally ruining it.

rknize
February 17th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Since this thread still comes up at the top of Google results and the information in here is stale for Oneiric (which no longer uses gdm), here is what you need to do:

As root (or sudo), edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and add the following two lines under "SeatDefaults" (the latter is a security precaution):

[SeatDefaults]
xserver-allow-tcp=true
allow-guest=false

maloo
February 29th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I know this is old and ubuntu has moved away from gdm but just wanted to point to this thread which looks like a better solution:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1642286

Create a new file /etc/gdm/custom.conf with this content:

Code:

[security]
DisallowTCP=false
Then reboot.