PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD asking for password

nah40
May 11th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I installed Natty from a Live CD in my 4 yer old HP DV6500t with no problems.
I attempted to try the Live CD in my 2 day old HP DV6.
After grinding away for awhile i got a login box on the screen with "other" as the user name and asking for a password.
No password I tried worked.
Clicking cancel ejected the disc and borked my Windows install.
Why would a Live CD ask for a password?

Antarctica32
May 11th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Well to be honest I forget why but sometimes this happens. I know that often CDs will ask for a password and the password will be Ubuntu (I forget if it was capitalized or not). This may work.

nah40
May 11th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I tried Ubuntu and ubuntu as passwords.
It did not work.

VanR
May 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM
password is blank (as in No password) I thought.

garvinrick4
May 11th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I installed Natty from a Live CD in my 4 yer old HP DV6500t with no problems.
I attempted to try the Live CD in my 2 day old HP DV6.
After grinding away for awhile i got a login box on the screen with "other" as the user name and asking for a password.
No password I tried worked.
Why would a Live CD ask for a password? You were working off a Live Cd and nothing
to do with your HDD at all unless you choose install. If you choose Try Ubuntu will not bork anything
it is not even using your Hard Drive with Windows on it. Something else was done if
you got your Windows borked. Login box will be Ubuntu and password is blank hit enter.

coffeecat
May 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The username and password for the live CD is "ubuntu" and a blank for the password (simply press enter). However, you should only ever be asked for those if you log out and back into the live desktop session. The commonest cause of being asked to login to the live session when you first boot up is a faulty CD or a bad read - perhaps some dust on the CD. In such cases "ubuntu" and a blank password usually fail.

Check the md5sum of your downloaded ISO. And you can check the integrity of the CD by tapping any key when the two small icons appear at the bottom of the screen when the CD is first started, and then choosing the disc integrity check from the text menu.

EDIT:

I agree with garvinrick4 here. An unsuccessful live CD session would not "bork" your Windows. If you are having difficulty with Windows, something else must have happened.

nah40
May 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
All I did was insert the live CD, which I had used before.
When the CD loaded, it asked for the password.
I was never in a Live session, did not get that far.
When I could not get a password to work, I exited the Live CD.
After doing so, Windows refused to start and had to be repaired.