PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Vaio running with Integrated in Intel® 855GM chipset

Missi0n
May 10th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I am currently running xubuntu on a Sony Vaio with this spec:
http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/pcg-tr3/specifications.html

I am having varied results - the first time i try to boot in the day either it wont or the screen flashes and very distorted version of the boot documentation scrolls but nothing happens after, this has to be a Graphics card problem right? and has something to do with the Integrated in Intel® 855GM chipset?

To get it to work i have to boot into recovery mode, where it tells me i dont have the graphics drivers installed.. how ever as soon as i reboot it will boot as normal and runs with out a problem, and in the correct resolution. :confused:

why is this the case? and how can i stop it?

(it ran Ubuntu Unity (non-3D) 11.04 properly, although quite sluggish because of ram)

Missi0n
May 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Any one going to throw me a line?

Missi0n
May 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM
does anyone know?

Rubi1200
May 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Are you absolutely sure you were able to run the full 3D version of Unity? I was under the impression that was not possible with the chipset in question.

See this thread for more, including some of the workarounds I used:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748717

In your specific situation, post # 10 may offer the solution.

Let me know how it works out please.

Missi0n
May 14th, 2011, 11:56 PM
No it only ran the 2D version, sorry i forgot to specify

thank's ill try it out soon as possible and let you know

Missi0n
May 16th, 2011, 02:14 AM
It hasn't seemed to work at all :/
i have re-booted several times and have had the same problems on start up

Rubi1200
May 16th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Did you have this problem with previous versions of Xubuntu (Ubuntu in general)?

Missi0n
May 19th, 2011, 08:54 PM
no, i had no problems with previous versions :/

Rubi1200
May 20th, 2011, 05:48 AM
no, i had no problems with previous versions :/
The only other thing I can suggest is that you use the xorg.conf I mentioned in the link I posted before.

But, I really don't know if this will help you and I am not sure what more you can do to try and resolve this.

Sorry :(