PDA

View Full Version : Bedside Computer?

super breadfish
May 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm looking for hardware recommendations for a "bedside" computer. I want something that could do standard alarm/radio/weather duties, as well perhaps email/rss alerts, display my Google calendar, even maybe a feed from an IP camera or two.

I've seen devices like the Chumby before, but they seem a bit limited/pricey. I suppose I want something more like a mains powered tablet.

Anything will do if it can run Linux really, I'm not afraid to get coding if need be ;D

Any ideas?

potat
May 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Maybe something like this ( http://www.lcdtft.com/Detail.asp?Product_ID=090.013_LCDP700VGATS ) connected to a cheap used desktop PC. I think Unity would work pretty well with a touchscreen.

Ideally you would want all of your apps set up in a way that doesn't require typing or precision clicking. Which makes me think that you might want to actually use an Android app or two. A quick Google led me here: http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Run-Android-Applications-on-Ubuntu-115152.shtml
EDIT: The link tells you how to run apps in an Android emulator. I'm not sure whether you can make the virtual monitor the size and shape you want it.

As for other apps, try just changing the text size, button size, or other parameters to make them easier to use when you are in bed and possibly half-asleep.

Hope this helps.

speedwell68
May 10th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I use an Acer Aspire One A150 netbook. I even have it hooked up to a monitor at the end of the bed for late night movie/TV duties.

Dustin2128
May 11th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Take a look at this:http://www.raspberrypi.org/
Just buy a cheap old crt or lcd and get an hdmi converter.

kaspar_silas
May 11th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Take a look at this:http://www.raspberrypi.org/
Just buy a cheap old crt or lcd and get an hdmi converter.

The crucial part of this page is "The expected price is $25 ..."

As in it's not available yet. I actually strongly doubt they will be able to get sold near that price. Especially given that even widespread and simply hardware pieces like say an arduino cost more.

Still its an honourable project so I hope im wrong

Dustin2128
May 11th, 2011, 01:17 AM

As in it's not available yet. I actually strongly doubt they will be able to get sold near that price. Especially given that even widespread and simply hardware pieces like say an arduino cost more.

Oh, sorry, thought it was already available. They really should start selling them- I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

IWantFroyo
May 11th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I use my Toshiba 13.3 inch for this, but I once built a computer and secured it up on my loft bed:popcorn:

timZZ
May 11th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I once had a fedora machine sitting tucked away with a LCD monitor delivering information.

The screen left on drove me nuts.

Retlol
May 11th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Buy a cheap tablet pc, put it on a stand.

200-300 bucks should get you one, remove android and put a distro you want on it.

IWantFroyo
May 12th, 2011, 09:28 PM

200-300 bucks should get you one, remove android and put a distro you want on it.

If you do this, be sure to root and back up the android. It's worth having a copy of.

PCLinuxGuy
May 12th, 2011, 09:30 PM
what's the price range you're looking for? Maybe an all-in-one touchscreen (though they do make some without touch screens which may work better). You could wipe windows and install linux and might be easier than a tablet or netbook depending on how close you want it and size. there are some netbooks that have swivel screens that make them into tablets as well.

PCLinuxGuy
May 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM

there is a difference between today's tablets and the old tablets from years ago. older 'tablets' were convertible notebooks and those today are hard to find, but not impossible. Today's tablets run the Tegra2 and Arm and other processors that run Android and aren't able to natively run x86 or am64. The best you can do is basically a 'virtual machine of the distro onto the device.

kaspar_silas
March 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM

I know this is an old Post. But the Raspberry Pi has just been released (it is however out of stock at all retailers for a month or so) at $25 or there about. Glad I was wrong.

samalex
March 2nd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Honestly get a Kindle Fire or possibly another small android tablet computer, then use Splashtop to connect to a desktop to get the full Desktop experience.

sffvba[e0rt
March 3rd, 2012, 03:12 AM
Old thread is old.