PDA

View Full Version : LXDE Problems

gdonwallace
May 10th, 2011, 08:39 PM
So I installed Ubuntu and tried to use Unity for a week or so, and just couldn't do it. Decided to try LXDE and see if it will work for me; and so far it is. However; I have a very odd problem.

I came in this morning and started working around 8, at 1 this afternoon, I noticed my machine was running really...really...slow. I clicked on the panel at the bottom to bring up my terminal so I could run TOP and see what was happening. When I clicked, nothing happened. I tried clicking on everything on the panel, including the shutdown button...nothing.

I alt+tab'd to get to the terminal and TOP was showing the process lxpanel running at 100% or more CPU (Dual core CPU).

The only way to get the panel back was a reboot. Has anyone else had this problem, and what have they done to fix it.

Other than the cpu monitor running in the lower left, I have a weather applet, network connection indicator. Everything is pretty vanilla as this is my work machine.

lxde.org is down (? odd ?) just get a white screen when I hit the site.

ajgreeny
May 10th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I've been using Lubuntu 10.10 for a month or two on my old Acer Travelmate laptop, celeron 2.3GHz cpu, 512 MB ram, and it really flies on that. I have never seen any similar problem on my machine, though the LXDE desktop is not very vanilla style, like yours, as I have customised it a fair bit adding some startup applications (xfce4-power-manager), and removing others such as gnome-power-manager, which simply does not work in LXDE.

Did you add the lxde package to your 11.04 install, or lubuntu-desktop, or is yours also a reinstall of Lubuntu 11.04? Perhaps there is some problem of incompatibilities between the two systems when you put lxde on top of unity/11.04.

Keep trying; I think lxde is going to get a lot of users, with unity being so very different and disliked by such a large number of users. Lxde and xfce will be the winners, I think.

PS: I also get a white empty screen at lxde.org. Very odd!

gdonwallace
May 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I installed the packages for lxde from Synaptic. So Unity is still there.

I didn't get any warnings during the install of packages being removed, although I think a couple where updated; but that was for LXDE, if that where the issue then it could effect some other programs I have.

Not really sure, may have to run a check on my system to make sure no dependencies broke with the install.

gdonwallace
May 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Checked missing depends and it does not seem to be an issue. Just can't figure what would be causing this. I am running XFCE on my laptop, so I may install that (or Xubuntu Desktop) and see how well that works out.

Oh well, will keep snooping around and see what I can find.

gdonwallace
May 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM
So i uninstalled LXDE and installed Lubuntu-core and its requirements. Lets hope this fixes the problem I am having with lxpanel. Will run for a while and see what happens.

gdonwallace
May 13th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Looks like the problem persists. Had to kill the process and relaunch, and is now running.

I would really like someone who also has this problem to let me know if there is something going on and how this can be fixed. I don't understand why lxpanel is suddenly using so much CPU.

flemur13013
May 13th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I was running lxpanel in fluxbox and it caused problems (crashed or hung, I forget) and replaced it with fbpanel (IIRC the forerunner to lxpanel).

gdonwallace
May 16th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I got in this morning and lxpanel had frozen over the weekend.

Decided to remove lxde and install xfce, see how that works. So far the only thing I am seeing is an issue with redrawing some of the icons on the upper panel when I launch an xterm session and resize it. Other than that it seems to be working OK. Will see how things go as the day moves forward.

replica2010
May 17th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I noticed the same thing after installing Lubuntu. It's a shame, as I really like the clean look of lxpanel, versus xfce-panel. However, I'm finding myself going back to xfce (and xubuntu-desktop), because Lubuntu (openbox-lxde) just can't handle dual monitors. (Without a LOT of screwing around; with xfce, it just 'works').

So, very sad; Lubuntu looked so promising, but without stability (and, you know, one of the desktop apps driving the cpu at 100% kind of kills the whole 'lightweight' bit) ... it's sort of pointless to switch.

(Are there really no people that want to use modern hardware with a wm, and not have all the fluffy eyecandy of Unity and ilk, but just something that looks passably nice and can, you know, manage windows? On two monitors? /rant-whine)