PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Natty make homer go nutty

Electric_Bubble
May 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM
... I can see it written on the walls of a mental hospital, in excrements.

I would LOVE unity, if it where more customizable. No problem you say, those are growing pains. I agree. So I switch to classic until Unity is all grownup.

But why are there so many other problems whit 11.04???
It is soooo slow (no matter what interface). i'm using a netbook, I had to exorcise the evil win7 starter and chose willingly and knowingly for karmic koala. It rocked and every new edition rocked more. Maverick made me forget about windows all together. But now I can't play flash video's without them looking like a slideshow, my netbook boots like a one legged warthog, I cant connect to a protected wireless network without everything failing, half of my favorite programs don't work properly or at all, ... i can go on.

I'v noticed growing pains before, but this is too much. Were mass beta testing. So, i ask, if anyone significant coincidently reads this, please stop the 6month release cycle. Make it what you need to release a perfect edition. This isn't good for Linux, nor is it luring new users and i thought that was ubuntu/unity's goal?

Joe of loath
May 10th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I'v noticed growing pains before, but this is too much. Were mass beta testing. So, i ask, if anyone significant coincidently reads this, please stop the 6month release cycle. Make it what you need to release a perfect edition. This isn't good for Linux, nor is it luring new users and i thought that was ubuntu/unity's goal?

Debian. Ubuntu is near enough bleeding edge, you can't expect every release to be perfect.

Electric_Bubble
May 10th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Ok, maybe so, but i'm ill tempered and need to vent. Also, quote from ubuntu.com

Ubuntu is a fast, secure and easy-to-use operating system used by millions of people around the world

Secure, reliable and with no licence fees, businesses everywhere are using Ubuntu to reduce costs and boost performance.
They appear to be aiming for the general public, not the 'into bleeding edge'- kinda folks... So maybe they are bleeding edge, but I expect cutting edge.

Frogs Hair
May 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM
11.04 / Unity from a clean installation is very fast on my desktop . You may have some underlying problem . Look at your logs and run the top command in the terminal to see if there is a process that is a major resource hog . Check for high CPU usage with the system monitor .

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Ok, maybe so, but i'm ill tempered and need to vent.

And that is okay, post more threads if you need help you only have one.

It may be that besides the consternation; I think many have without the easy add to panel applets, that if you have other problems there may be an answer.

I'm a regular user and I have mine running like a rocket with the cube wobbling windows and other compiz bling, not hard, just experience and a little help from others gets it done.

Never mine if you don't want help, just checking in if you do. ;)

Electric_Bubble
May 10th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Ok thanks. I've tried the top command when playing flash vids. My browser uses 100% of the available recourses. But i'm playing HQ vids on a netbook so thats about normal right? Still, they now look like slideshows. They used to look like they should look... I'v read the same general slowness problem all over the forum. I think its specific to this release...

Electric_Bubble
May 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
And that is okay, post more threads if you need help you only have one.

It may be that besides the consternation; I think many have without the easy add to panel applets, that if you have other problems there may be an answer.

I'm a regular user and I have mine running like a rocket with the cube wobbling windows and other compiz bling, not hard, just experience and a little help from others gets it done.

Never mine if you don't want help, just checking in if you do. ;)
Thanks dude :-)

Xeneth
May 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
It's hard on my laptop too. There are points it freezes for a sec or two. I am keeping my server on 10.10 because of this.

Rasa1111
May 10th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for the few laughs I got out of your original post. :lol:, So, thanks! haha

It was much nicer to read than the posts that say "OMG I HATE 11.04" or "Thanks Ubuntu, now I dont like any OS", etc etc etc. lol

Nice to see some humor amongst the frustration. :P

Wish i could help..
Im not experiencing any slowness at all on my 11.04 install.
I actually didnt think things could get much faster/snappier than my 10.10 installs,
but dare i say.... 11.04 seems to be even quicker! O_o

Good luck man. <3

alandunn
May 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
well I'm with Homer. I'm not a techie user at all and 10.10 was amazing, everything I wanted just worked brilliantly. Now I am struggling with thunderbird, struggling with tomboy, I have lost open office - my laptop was a pleasure to use, now it's a dog.
Is there a way back? v frustrating and a great disappointment.

Rasa1111
May 10th, 2011, 10:32 PM
well I'm with Homer. I'm not a techie user at all and 10.10 was amazing, everything I wanted just worked brilliantly. Now I am struggling with thunderbird, struggling with tomboy, I have lost open office - my laptop was a pleasure to use, now it's a dog.
Is there a way back? v frustrating and a great disappointment.

Yes, the "way back" is to reinstall 10.10

tazzarias
May 10th, 2011, 11:49 PM
... I can see it written on the walls of a mental hospital, in excrements.

I would love unity, if it where more customizable. No problem you say, those are growing pains. I agree. So i switch to classic until unity is all grownup.

But why are there so many other problems whit 11.04???
It is soooo slow (no matter what interface). I'm using a netbook, i had to exorcise the evil win7 starter and chose willingly and knowingly for karmic koala. It rocked and every new edition rocked more. Maverick made me forget about windows all together. But now i can't play flash video's without them looking like a slideshow, my netbook boots like a one legged warthog, i cant connect to a protected wireless network without everything failing, half of my favorite programs don't work properly or at all, ... I can go on.

I'v noticed growing pains before, but this is too much. Were mass beta testing. So, i ask, if anyone significant coincidently reads this, please stop the 6month release cycle. Make it what you need to release a perfect edition. This isn't good for linux, nor is it luring new users and i thought that was ubuntu/unity's goal?

+1