PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to change login settings/ No seat ID found

maddbaron
May 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I click unlock repeatedly but nothing happens... I ran it in terminal and got this

sudo gdmsetup
[sudo] password for wordsmith:
** (gdmsetup:5106): DEBUG: init delay=10
** (gdmsetup:5106): DEBUG: "/usr/share/xsessions/une-guest-restricted.desktop" is hidden or contains non-executable TryExec program

** (gdmsetup:5106): DEBUG: "/usr/share/xsessions/guest-restricted.desktop" is hidden or contains non-executable TryExec program

** (gdmsetup:5106): DEBUG: "/usr/share/xsessions/une-efl-guest-restricted.desktop" is hidden or contains non-executable TryExec program

** (gdmsetup:5106): DEBUG: Init default session found:'xsession'
** (gdmsetup:5106): DEBUG: Failed to identify the current session: Unable to lookup session information for process '5106'

** (gdmsetup:5106): WARNING **: Unable to find users: no seat-id found

Help please!

maddbaron
May 10th, 2011, 08:20 PM
bump...

jerrrys
May 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM
no good answer, just a lead. dose any of this apply to you?

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=Unable+to+find+users%3A+no+seat-id+found+linux+ubunyu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

maddbaron
May 11th, 2011, 02:57 AM
no good answer, just a lead. dose any of this apply to you?

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=Unable+to+find+users%3A+no+seat-id+found+linux+ubunyu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Not really... my gui is working, gdm too.. I can use my password except in this case & when I try to update apps via update manager...i don't know what is wrong with this system...

Krytarik
May 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I can use my password except in this case & when I try to update apps via update manager
It seems like your user is not part of the "admin" group.

Check it with:

groups USERNAME
If it isn't, boot into "recovery mode -> root shell prompt" and run:

adduser USERNAME admin
Note: No need to use 'sudo' here because you will already be root.

Greetings.

maddbaron
May 12th, 2011, 05:02 PM
It seems like your user is not part of the "admin" group.

Check it with:

groups USERNAME
If it isn't, boot into "recovery mode -> root shell prompt" and run:

adduser USERNAME admin
Note: No need to use 'sudo' here because you will already be root.

Greetings.

wordsmith@Ecanus:~$ groups wordsmith
wordsmith : wordsmith adm dialout fax cdrom plugdev lpadmin netdev admin nopasswdlogin sambashare vboxusers jupiter

is this correct?

Krytarik
May 12th, 2011, 05:53 PM
wordsmith@Ecanus:~$ groups wordsmith
wordsmith : wordsmith adm dialout fax cdrom plugdev lpadmin netdev admin nopasswdlogin sambashare vboxusers jupiter
is this correct?
As far as it states "admin", yes.

Can you run any other graphical app as root, with "gksu/gksudo", for example Nautilus?:

gksu nautilus

maddbaron
May 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM
As far as it states "admin", yes.

Can you run any other graphical app as root, with "gksu/gksudo", for example Nautilus?:

gksu nautilus

i got annoyed with maverick so i upgraded to natty... things running smoother now. thank you for your help and responding.

BHunsaker
May 29th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I'm in the same boat with natty.

I can run nautilus with gksu no problem. My user is a member of the admin group.

It does look like there are some permission problems, as I can't add or delete users or go to advanced settings in the "Users settings" dialog. But, I used the command line adduser to create a new user and added it to the admin group and this new user has all the same problems.

Krytarik
May 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM
BHunsaker, are you running these tools from within Gnome (incl. Unity)?

If not, they won't work, because they rely on the Gnome PolicyKit.

If yes, check if these processes are running:

krytarik@krytarik-desktop:~$ ps ax |grep -v grep |grep policy
1430 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd
1624 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
krytarik@krytarik-desktop:~$