PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype trayicon is gone since upgrade to 11.04

FMaz008
May 10th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hi,

I've upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04, and I still using the old-style Gnome interface (not the notebook style).

When I start skype, the tray icon is not added in the top-bar. And skype is not present in the notification applet.

What I've tried:
- I've tried to reinstall skype
- I've installed dconf-tools and ran dconf-editor, then watched in desktop->unity->panel, Skype is in the systray-whitelist.

Any idea how to get my skype tray icon back ?

Sathish 2011
May 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Hi,

I've upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04, and I still using the old-style Gnome interface (not the notebook style).

When I start skype, the tray icon is not added in the top-bar. And skype is not present in the notification applet.

What I've tried:
- I've tried to reinstall skype
- I've installed dconf-tools and ran dconf-editor, then watched in desktop->unity->panel, Skype is in the systray-whitelist.

Any idea how to get my skype tray icon back ?

Hi

I am newbie to Ubuntu (11.04). I like Ubuntu it very much.

I too face the same problem with Skype!

I am not able to open Skype (even though it runs in the background). So I could not see my contact list and make calls. I am only able to receive calls from my contacts (as it popups up).

Also it is not allowing to open another (fresh) Skype window. And shows a message "Another Skype instance may exist.."

Can anyone please help us to come out of this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Tart
May 12th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Same here, using "classic ubuntu." When skype disapears, I kill it in system monitor and start a new one. Tray icon is missing would love to get it back. Any ideas?

Thanks

Update: found this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10794204&postcount=27 it helped me - now skype icon is showing.

ilantal
May 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I am using Unity and the skype tray icon is a bit flaky. I just had a series of cases where it failed to appear.
I got it back again by trying to activate skype again. There was a grey icon in the tray and it told me that I have another instance running (yes, the one which fails to appear in the tray of course).
With the grey icon I restarted the computer and now it asks me to log in. I give it the password and tell it to log in automatically at start up. Now the green icon is back and working.
Sound like magic? It is and I don't know why it should work.

didaka
May 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hi there,
I got the same problem with upgrade to 11.04 on Ubuntu Classic. I noticed that the skype icon is actually there. The problem is that it is only 1px large dot. If you manage to click it skype will open. I think the problem is in the skype icon itself.
The solution from Tart's post #3 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10803886&postcount=3) worked for me. Thank Tart ;).
Cheers,
Daniel

kmarzi
May 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM
I have this problem since upgrading to 11.04. I use the Classic View too and I've tried everything suggested here; however, the skype icon remains a tiny, 1-pixel image on in the tray...

Any other ideas on to how to get it back?

Thanks,
kmarzi

kmarzi
May 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM
Um, I don't quite know why, but the Skype icon has now strangely appeared... (and I've done nothing new, not even a reboot, which I'd already done numerous times after following the instructions in this thread). Odd...

kmarzi
May 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Um, I don't quite know why, but the Skype icon has now strangely appeared... (and I've done nothing new, not even a reboot, which I'd already done numerous times after following the instructions in this thread). Odd...

I spoke too soon. The icon comes and goes as it pleases, both when using Unity or Ubuntu Classic. Any ideas how to fix this?

Ta,
Kmarzi

Flaxis
July 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Sorry for bumping an old topic, but...
To fix the missing Skype icon in Unity, press alt + f2 and enter "compiz --replace" or "unity --replace". In both commands, a new Unity session will start and the Skype icon will re-appear.

Now I'm trying to get the amsn icon to work properly! :@

James_said_lol
July 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Ok guys, for those old school folks, who use the Ubuntu Classic after clean install 11.04:
Skype tray icon is not there because we (the old school folks) prefer to delete everything but volume, wireless, date, and shut down - at least I do it. And u know that these indicators are getting more and more connected with each other with every next distro release, so may be I deleted the area for skype too (or may be its not there by default)

Just start skype and add Notification Area...If u had already started skype the icon should be there. (I was looking like 30min here and there until I realized its not an indicator, but notification icon :oops:)

I dont know if thats a wrong place to post it - just wanted to help if someone is facing this..you marked gnome-panel --replace for a solution.. well I post it here in case someone cant get it done by replacing the panel