PDA

View Full Version : Never Fear Linux Users; Netflix Loves You Too

Onoku
May 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Looks like we will finally be able to access Netflix. Hooray!

Google, it appears, are to sate that desire with the inclusion of an HTML5-based Netflix plugin in Chrome OS and Google Chrome, the latter of which will bring Netflix officially to Linux for the first time.
The move isn’t that unexpected however. Netflix previously announced work on HTML5 support back in December 2010 (http://techblog.netflix.com/2010/12/why-we-choose-html5-for-user.html)
And back in February of this year Netflix told users of Google’s Chrome OS-based ‘CR-48′ (http://www.chromeosforums.net/forum/general-chrome-os/456-anyone-notice-netflixs-personal-letter-chrome-pilot-users.html) netbook that they were “…working with Google to ensure that Chrome Notebook users can instantly watch TV shows and movies from Netflix.” adding that details would be announced in the ‘coming months’.

Linky (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/netflix-chrome-plugin-will-bring-on-demand-video-to-linux/)

neu5eeCh
May 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Saw everything except an ETA. Vaporware?

sydbat
May 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Saw everything except an ETA. Vaporware?Duke Netflix Forever?

dh04000
May 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Duke Netflix Forever?

Even that eventually appeared.

sydbat
May 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Even that eventually appeared.Not quite. The "release date" has been pushed back twice this year. Now it is June 10/ 14.

I will only believe it is not honest-to-goodness vapourware when I see it on store shelves.

dh04000
May 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Not quite. The "release date" has been pushed back twice this year. Now it is June 10/ 14.

I will only believe it is not honest-to-goodness vapourware when I see it on store shelves.

That is in one month, lol. They can't delay that close to launch.

ANYWAY, back to the discussion... YAY! Finally! Netflix for Linux!

krakenfury
June 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I'm super excited! If this works as expected, my Windows install will be reduced to gaming binges. :smile:

However, I'm worried that Netflix may still exclude Linux users by detecting the OS and then denying service.

Now, I've read that Chromium is Linux based, and a lot of this hubbub is centered around the new Chromium netbooks, so I see a flaw in my skepticism; but is something that is Linux based, still Linux?

It seems to me (and I'm out of my technical depth, here) that Chromium is not the same as a Linux flavor, like Ubuntu or Arch. If I'm wrong and it is, then how good are the programmers at differentiating flavors of Linux?

treedstang
August 15th, 2011, 06:44 PM
What gives Netflix for Google Chrome came out about a week ago but it only works on Google Chrome Chromebooks??

Do anyone have a hack for yet to run on any linux install with Chrome??

Tim

PuddingKnife
August 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Yea, that's been fairly disappointing. Its all take, take, take with them! :P

So far:

Android (based on the Linux kernel) can run Netflix, and

ChromeOS (based on Gentoo Linux) can run Netflix, but

..if I fire up the Chrome browser to watch Netflix on my Ubuntu laptop, no deal. Sad panda.

kaldor
August 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
There must be some sort of reason behind it. Android isn't "traditional" Linux and works entirely differently. But, as far as I know, ChromeOS is pretty standard. Pretty surprising it will work with ChromeOS and not other Linux distros.

Oxwivi
August 15th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Now, I've read that Chromium is Linux based, and a lot of this hubbub is centered around the new Chromium netbooks, so I see a flaw in my skepticism; but is something that is Linux based, still Linux?
It is Linux, but applications for Chrome netbooks are not native per se. They will be delivered the same way as Angry Birds for Chrome, i.e. an Chrome App available in their Web Store (https://chrome.google.com/webstore?hl=en-US). Basically, they will be cross-platform.

Yea, that's been fairly disappointing. Its all take, take, take with them! :P

So far:

Android (based on the Linux kernel) can run Netflix, and

ChromeOS (based on Gentoo Linux) can run Netflix, but

..if I fire up the Chrome browser to watch Netflix on my Ubuntu laptop, no deal. Sad panda.
Android is a different case. Apps for Android doesn't work on regular Linux distros because the developers are restricted to use modified Java library. And if they do write apps to run directly on the kernel, it won't work for us cause they're compiled to run on ARM processor-based systems.

BrokenKingpin
August 15th, 2011, 08:41 PM
That sucks, I was really looking forward to this plugin.

ki4jgt
August 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know how to edit the settings, to make it appear as though the connection is coming from a Chromebook?

nmaster
August 15th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Does anyone know how to edit the settings, to make it appear as though the connection is coming from a Chromebook?

this is a good idea. hopefully someone else can figure it out.

i think that the real reason for only making netflix available on chromebooks and android is the drm. chromeOS and android are linux...but they are very restricted. i'm not sure if this is the only reason (there may also be some licensing issues) but it is probably part of it.

drawkcab
August 16th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I don't really understand how the "omg, linux has no drm!!!" is an argument for not porting netflix to linux in an age where, if someone really wants to pirate a file, they're going to torrent the file rather than pull it from a netflix stream 6 months after the fact.

ScionicSpectre
August 16th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I understand it- because the people making these decisions don't use that kind of reasoning. In fact, for many of them, it's all about selling a package to the people who rely on them for content distribution. If a record label or film studio doesn't enforce that kind of restriction on content, content creators wouldn't bother with them. Still, this isn't necessarily true, but there is a very strong culture around it.

It's very much similar to how censorship and ratings rely on cultural norms. Right now, it's culturally acceptable to do idiotic things with content and patents. Back in the 90s, these companies would have enforced DRM on video cassette tapes and CDs if they could. And now it's finally feasible- let's hope people come to their senses sooner than later.

Reg71
August 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I was hopeful for netflix on my ubuntu box also when I installed chrome but had the same luck as the rest of you guys. Right now I use the ps3 that is hooked to the tv or I watch it from my ipad or iphone. you think Id be happy but no....I want it all. :}

ki4jgt
August 16th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Think it would work in Flow??

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Brandel Valico
August 16th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Hmm... if Android can run Netflix perhaps this would let you run it on ubuntu.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Run-Android-Applications-on-Ubuntu-115152.shtml

Of course this is probably not as nice as a VM with XP running it.

But Conical is apparently working on a way to run Android apps natively. So this may be worth looking into more.

Copper Bezel
August 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't matter; Netflix only runs on specific Android devices, and only if they haven't been rooted.

Oxwivi
August 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Easy, you just have to find Chromebook's user agent, and make your browser use it. This Ask Ubuntu answer (http://askubuntu.com/questions/32903/manipulate-browser-and-os-identification-by-firefox/32909#32909) descries how to changed Firefox's user agent.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Yeah, run this in the terminal.

google-chrome -user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; CrOS i686 9.10.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.253.0 Safari/532.5"

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Even with the Netflix "app" installed, using the Chrome OS user agent string still redirects to the "system requirements" page.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Not on mine.http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16007317/Photos/Screenshot.png

ki4jgt
August 18th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Hmm... if Android can run Netflix perhaps this would let you run it on ubuntu.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Run-Android-Applications-on-Ubuntu-115152.shtml

Of course this is probably not as nice as a VM with XP running it.

But Conical is apparently working on a way to run Android apps natively. So this may be worth looking into more.

Too slow. Already been playing around wit this little bugger :-)

ki4jgt
August 18th, 2011, 04:20 AM
What about IE user agent running Win 7 with moonlight plugin? How would you edit the user agent for that?

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Not on mine.
Wow. How'd'ja do that, then?

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Tried that with Firefox.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16007317/Photos/Screenshot%202.png

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Wow. How'd'ja do that, then?
Never mind; I realized I had a window open still before launching with the fake UA.

So the Netflix "player" it's asking for - does that install like an extension?

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM
No. It's a plugin, but I can't get it to work.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16007317/Projects/Netflix%20Linux/Pepper.tar.gz
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16007317/Projects/Netflix%20Linux/Plugins.tar.gz
These are taken from Chrome OS.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Is the Native Client enabled in about:flags? Apparently that's necessary, too.

The first link, the Pepper one, isn't working.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 04:39 AM
It will, sorry I was uploading it. My upload speeds are slow. This also has nothing to do with Native Client. It's HTML 5.

ki4jgt
August 18th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Yeah, run this in the terminal.

google-chrome -user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; CrOS i686 9.10.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.253.0 Safari/532.5"

Just did this, ran it by http://www.thismachine.info

Somehow it manages to show the same user agent, even though I've switched through several that I've found online.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 04:55 AM
It will, sorry I was uploading it.
Understood - thanks!

My upload speeds are slow. This also has nothing to do with Native Client. It's HTML 5.
The rendering is, but Pepper plugins use the Native Client. See here (http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2011/08/12/netflixs-chrome-os-plugin-may-be-one-of-googles-first-native-client-examples/).

ki4jgt
August 18th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Anyone want to code DRM into Moonlight?

Apparently, moonlight is perfectly suitable for Netflix. It just doesn't do DRM.

http://jacksonh.tumblr.com/post/965806498/how-to-watch-netflix-streaming-movies-on-linux-with

v1ad
August 18th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Btw Netflix worked on my rooted Evo.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 05:10 AM
New error.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/Screenshots/110817/copy%20of%20Screenshot.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/Screenshots/110817/Screenshot.png)

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 05:13 AM
New error.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/Screenshots/110817/copy%20of%20Screenshot.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/Screenshots/110817/Screenshot.png)
Question: What did you do?

Edit: Does anyone know of an IRC Chat Room we could use?
Edit 2: I made one: #netflix_linux on freenode.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 05:16 AM
What you did - User Agent and Chromebook parts - then enabled the Native Client. But oddly, it didn't flash to the Netflix player first like it did before adding Pepper.

Edit: Oh, oddity: when I navigated to the app in the Chrome App Store, the Launch button was greyed out and the page suggested upgrading Chrome. That wasn't the case after adding your Chromebook parts.

Edit again: Now I'm back to the same error (red on black) and the Launch button is greyed out again in the store. Weird.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 05:18 AM
What you did - User Agent and Chromebook parts - then enabled the Native Client. But oddly, it didn't flash to the Netflix player first like it did before adding Pepper.
I get the same thing as I always get even with Native Client on and enabled in
about:plugins.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Weird. Mine's back to the red-on-black as well. I have no idea how that happened. I launched Netflix from the Chrome App Store, but now it won't let me do so again.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I got the Netflix Plugin to show up in the
about:plugins page using this.
google-chrome -user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; CrOS i686 9.10.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.253.0 Safari/532.5" --register-pepper-plugins="/opt/google/chrome/pepper/netflixplugin.so#Netflix#Netflix 1.0.2#1.0.2;application/x-ppapi-netflix" --enable-logging --enable-accelerated-layers
Edit: So I wonder if we enable all of the Chrome OS plugins this way if it will work.

ShadowApex
August 18th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I got the Netflix Plugin to show up in the
about:plugins page using this.
google-chrome -user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; CrOS i686 9.10.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.253.0 Safari/532.5" --register-pepper-plugins="/opt/google/chrome/pepper/netflixplugin.so#Netflix#Netflix 1.0.2#1.0.2;application/x-ppapi-netflix" --enable-logging --enable-accelerated-layers
Edit: So I wonder if we enable all of the Chrome OS plugins this way if it will work.

It's worth a shot. I'm using Chromium on Ubuntu x86_64 and it looks like I'll need to use an x86 OS in order to run the plugin as it looks like it was compiled against i386 hardware:

cat ~/.config/chromium/chrome_debug.log
[1:1:80022786619:WARNING: pepper_plugin_registry.cc(135)] Unable to load plugin /opt/google/chrome/pepper/netflixplugin.so /opt/google/chrome/pepper/netflixplugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 05:42 AM
It's worth a shot. I'm using Chromium on Ubuntu x86_64 and it looks like I'll need to use an x86 OS in order to run the plugin as it looks like it was compiled against i386 hardware:
That's what I'm using. In fact I'm even running it on the Beta Chromebook. Though I was dumb and flashed the BIOS without backing up the original.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I enabled NaCl and tried your new command, and although I, too, am getting the Netflix plugin listed in about:plugins, I'm getting a mix of the two error pages. I get the feeling that even with everything in place, we'll still be stuck at that second error page (no plugin error, but still no player, either.)

I'm on 32 bit, since my processor can't even run 64 - maybe the reason I'm occasionally getting the other error page - but am getting this error in the terminal when I launch with your longer command.

[2846:2936:120238864554:ERROR:nss_ocsp.cc(581)] No URLRequestContext for OCSP handler.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 05:54 AM
What version of Chrome are you on? I'm on the dev channel so I'm on Chrome 15.0.849.0.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 05:56 AM
13.x. Upgrading.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM
This is also what my command line ends up being.
google-chrome -user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; CrOS i686 9.10.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.253.0 Safari/532.5 --register-pepper-plugins=/opt/google/chrome/pepper/netflixplugin.so#Netflix#Netflix 1.0.2#1.0.2;application/x-ppapi-netflix --enable-logging --enable-accelerated-layers --flag-switches-begin --apps-new-install-bubble --enable-click-to-play --disable-gpu-vsync --enable-nacl --enable-shortcuts-provider --enable-smooth-scrolling --experimental-location-features --focus-existing-tab-on-open --force-compositing-mode --enable-panels --preload-instant-search --prerender-from-omnibox --restrict-instant-to-search --show-autofill-type-predictions --show-fps-counter --enable-sync-sessions --enable-sync-typed-urls --flag-switches-end
Edit: I don't know if all of the "flag-switches" will change anything though.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Getting the "Aw, snap!" page now. But Chrome 15 is unstable as hell, and I'm going to switch back now, because I still get the "update your browser" jazz in the Chrome App Store when I'm running with the fake UA string.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Getting the "Aw, snap!" page now. But Chrome 15 is unstable as hell, and I'm going to switch back now, because I still get the "update your browser" jazz in the Chrome App Store when I'm running with the fake UA string.
Strange, I hardly ever get those. I also just obtained access to a Chrome OS device for a while. Is there anything I should take a screenshot of?

Edit: I have all of the Plugins Blocked on the Chromebook and the first time I tried using Netflix it showed the same error page we've been getting. I allowed Plugins on the page and it started working.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't really know what. I'm a bit out of my depth with this, though.

I think that error page is a generic one. More than one missing component could probably take you to the same page, and some of it might have to do with built-in, proprietary elements in the Chromebook OS. (It might be fun to try this with a Chromium OS install.)

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I noticed something. When I'm running the different user agent, I can't see all of the settings I can without.

Copper Bezel
August 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM
That's been weirding me out since you mentioned Netflix appearing in about:plugins in the first place. One of two things is happening there - the user agent switch is changing something inside Chrome (unlikely,) or the about: screens simply respond to the user agent string (more likely.)

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Edit: Removed by User.

Mars11
August 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
No, the Netflix Plugin didn't show up until I told Chrome to open it manually in the command line.

I wouldn't really know what. I'm a bit out of my depth with this, though.

I think that error page is a generic one. More than one missing component could probably take you to the same page, and some of it might have to do with built-in, proprietary elements in the Chromebook OS. (It might be fun to try this with a Chromium OS install.)
I also think you're right about this. I bet the Netflix Player is somewhere else in Chrome OS. If we can copy over that file I think that may work. I can't put the Chromebook I'm using in Dev Mode to find it. (Not mine.)

Edit: I created an IRC Channel on freenode. #netflix_linux

klepto
August 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM
It pains me to boot in to Windows just to watch a documentary on Netflix. The Netflix Dev's said recently that within 6 months we would have a Linux Netflix Plugin but doesn't it already work under Chromium?

We will not succumb to the other operating systems!!

Mars11
August 22nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
It pains me to boot in to Windows just to watch a documentary on Netflix. The Netflix Dev's said recently that within 6 months we would have a Linux Netflix Plugin but doesn't it already work under Chromium?

We will not succumb to the other operating systems!!
Nope, that's what we were trying to do. :\ Didn't succeed, but that's nice about the Linux Plugin, can't wait!

Copper Bezel
August 22nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
The most telling thing for me was that going to the Chrome web store with the dev-channel Chrome (32 bit even) and the CrOS user agent displayed the "update your browser" message. Chrome is identifying itself to Google in more ways than just through the UA, which makes a hack based on vanilla Chrome unlikely.

Mars11
August 24th, 2011, 02:13 PM
It's because you're telling them that you're browser is only 4.0.253.0 look in the UA changer. I changed that to 13 and didn't get that popup.

amiacamal
August 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM
No netflix in ireland :(

tweakmy
August 25th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Hi there,

has anyone been successful yet? How about setting android os as virtual machine?

christopher.wortman
August 25th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I have had access to Netflix using the Android application

Also you can run Android x86 and "sideload" the netflix apk onto the VM "Device" through USB Mount it works very well. Heck you can even dual boot to Android...

Todd_1215
August 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Yesterday I loaded Hexxeh ChromeOS Vanilla onto my Dell Latitude 820. Very nice job Hexxeh did with this by the way. I open a terminal window ( CTRL+ALT+t ) jumped to a shell by typing 'shell' then proceeded to poke around.

I added the netflix extension from the App Store then did a find on netflix under the /home/chronos/Extensions I found just this for netflix

Extensions/deceagebecbceejblnlcjooeohmmeldh/1.0.0.2_0/manifest.json

That file contains

{
"app": {
"launch": {
"container": "tab",
"urls": [ "http://www.netflix.com/" ],
"web_url": "http://www.netflix.com/"
}
},
"description": "Watch movies and TV shows instantly on your Chromebook and in Google Chrome on your PC/Mac with your Netflix membership",
"icons": {
"128": "128.png",
"16": "16.png"
},
"key": "MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDUnE1qniWKIT rPS2vc77iWIsSMhjp5n4kru5EueQUvthqawnJEAMQTRwf+gXU6 yp3awwwh1NiCefL5NUtGraWVbFCAt63zZOA40GLlbeC4V3vWdj jZousB6iXEFQhgyZRveFavFGVDeEMsFDzf4985pNUMLVSSfDPV GnuGmHt8IwIDAQAB",
"name": "Netflix",
"permissions": [ ],
"update_url": "http://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx",
"version": "1.0.0.2"
}

Not sure what this is doing other than trying to contact google and providing the Netflix image you see in the browser.

I'm wondering if you should see more in this directory if you have a chromebook?

Mars11
August 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Yesterday I loaded Hexxeh ChromeOS Vanilla onto my Dell Latitude 820. Very nice job Hexxeh did with this by the way. I open a terminal window ( CTRL+ALT+t ) jumped to a shell by typing 'shell' then proceeded to poke around.

I added the netflix extension from the App Store then did a find on netflix under the /home/chronos/Extensions I found just this for netflix

Extensions/deceagebecbceejblnlcjooeohmmeldh/1.0.0.2_0/manifest.json

That file contains

Not sure what this is doing other than trying to contact google and providing the Netflix image you see in the browser.

I'm wondering if you should see more in this directory if you have a chromebook?

That is just a Glorified Bookmark. It's not an extension it's a plugin and that's already preloaded on Chromebooks. You have to get the plugin from those then put it in the same directory that it was in the Chromebooks.
Pepper Folder (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16007317/Projects/Netflix%20Linux/Pepper.tar.gz)
Plugins Folder (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16007317/Projects/Netflix%20Linux/Plugins.tar.gz)
The Netflix Plugin is located in the Pepper Folder. Though I'd recommend installing all of them. We've tried this before, but couldn't succeed (said we were in "Dev Mode") we believe that if you can change the UA in Chromium OS to Chrome OS that you might be allowed in. I don't know how to do that or know if it's even possible. If you could figure that out it would be a HUGE help.

Todd_1215
August 28th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Ok I downloaded the pepper and plugin archives. Is the root filesystem read-only? I looks like the permissions are not read-only but even as root I can't create a directory under /opt/google/chrome

I guess I may have to boot into another os and then manually mount the device ChromeOS is on. Then copy the files over there. I'll give that a shot. But I guess once I'm at that point then it's how to figure out to fool google thinking that this is a ChromeOS and not a ChromiumOS....

Todd_1215
August 28th, 2011, 03:18 AM
OK I booted a Live OS and mounted the C-ROOT partition. Copied the pepper and plugins folder into /opt/google/chrome. Did a quick chown on those folders and rebooted into ChromiumOS.

I loaded Netflix just to see what would happen it it started loading....getting the percentage bar...I started getting antsy and then I got this error

Developer Mode Unsupported
Error Code: NPL15925257
Please ensure you are not running your Chromebook in Developer Mode.

If the problem persists, please call Netflix Customer Support at 1-866-716-0414.

So Since its Chromium and not Chrome I guess this is where everone else is at as well. How would spoofing the user agent tell netflix it's not in dev mode?

I think it's maybe the netflix library code looking for whatever that switch sets. Most likely the state gets in memory upon boot. So how can we fool that?

Mars11
August 28th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I'm thinking either you have to change the source code or there would be a file that you could change.

Todd_1215
August 28th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Would it be possible to JTag that dev switch to find out where it goes? I'm no electronics geek, just a thought.

I'm sure that particular code isn't in chromiumOS source code repos.

Mars11
August 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm starting to think this has nothing to do with the UA. I think there's some propitiatory code/file that is only available on Chrome OS that is erased when in Developer Mode. The only thing I can think of doing is taking a Chromebook's SSD out, putting it in an adapter, then reading it from another OS. We might be able find that file that way.

Copper Bezel
August 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I thought you installed Ubuntu on your Chromebook? If that's the case, can't a Chromebook be booted from a LiveCD so you could clone off the drive, to avoid stressing the hardware?

And yeah, it's not the UA, which is presumably the same between Chrome and Chromium (Chrome reports CrOS, right, which refers to Chromium?) There's clearly a lot more special handshaking going on once the Netflix plugin handshakes with the service.

Mars11
August 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I had to use a different BIOS to accomplish that. The Chrome OS BIOS does not support booting off anything but the internal SSD.

To install the new BIOS I had to put it in Dev Mode then take off the back of the case because of a security measure that locks down the BIOS. So to boot off a LiveCD you're going to take off the back anyways. Just take the SSD out and clone it.

Sef
August 28th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Locked. Off-topic.