PDA

View Full Version : Karmic 9.10 repos

Sylos
May 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Hello all.

I have a desktop and laptop running karmic 9.10 which has (sadly) now gone EOL. (aaaawww!).

Odlly, however, I was able to update from the repos last night.

Does anyone know how long the repo will stay active? I would like a little time to choose my next DE flavour.

Cheers

meborc
May 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I don't have a specific answer, but if I was you I would upgrade to the next LTS

check out - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades

Although I must say, a fresh install is always better than an upgrade (in my experience). You might also like to check out the all new Ubuntu 11.04 - Natty

Sylos
May 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I agree totally about clean install - I never upgrade a distro.

I am a little concerned about the newer versions being more resource hungry and swallowing up my meagre cpu and RAM resources. I may switch to Lubuntu 10.04 LTS - I have installed that on another old machine for somebody else and they seem happy.

I have heard speak that you can put Gnome 3 on the new Lubuntu release. Any idea how bad of an ache it would be to do that?

Cheers

PS. I would like to give karmic a send off and say how much I have enjoyed using it. It has been reasonably problem free other than when I wanted to installed old games etc. A fine distro - almost on par with Hardy for me.

meborc
May 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM
As you are installing from a scratch anyway and are interested in testing out gnome3, I would install Lubuntu 11.04. It will me much easier to install gnome3 on the latest stable Ubuntu base than on older one.

check this - http://askubuntu.com/questions/22946/how-do-i-install-the-latest-version-of-gnome-3

a quote from that link
Using GNOME3 currently is only available for 11.04. This is a major release of GNOME so it likely will not be backported to older versions of Ubuntu.

Sylos
May 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I'll have a look into that. I try to stick to LTS now as it keeps fresh installs to a minimum. Will see what happens.