PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Epson printer installed but printing incorrectly

jmws219
May 10th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I am setting up a linux photo machine using ubuntu 10, but I have come a bit stuck with printing.

My printer is a Epson Stylus px710w which according to openprinting website should work "perfectly". I have intalled Gimp and Gutenprint to drive it.

Everything LOOKS good. I can find the printer, see suitable options and make a print. However there are problems with the final output.

Firstly inconsistency: "photo" and "superphoto" settings print reasonable colour and brightness, but with noticeable lines through the print, more like draft photo. "ultraphoto" and "Best" fix the line problem but print 2/3x darker.

More importantly when I tried to print some "uncorrected" targets to create a profile, the results were awful. Far too much ink was coming out, and no paper/quality setting fixed the problem.

The printer behaves perfectly under windows. I also have an elderly Epson 1290 which works fine through gimp and gutenprint, and suffers from none of the above. So I think something has gone wrong with the drivers for this printer.

There is lots more I would like to ask on this subject, but if anyone feels they can help me with this I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

James.

PS I am a linux newbie so please assume I know nothing and am not particularly technical