PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu 11.04: Shutdown doesnt work properly

silentcreek
May 10th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hi,

with the new Xubuntu 11.04 I encounter an issue when shutting down the system. Often, when I click on shutdown, the computer doesnt shut down but just logs off and shows me the login screen where I have to select shut down again. It's somewhat annoying. However, sometimes (rarely) it works properly.

Does anybody have the same issue and know a solution?

Thanks,

Timo

peabrane
May 10th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I have a similar problem on an ancient beaten-up old HP OmniBook 6000 laptop. As far as I can tell, it always shuts down OK when on power but 75% of the time does not shut down when on battery. I guess that this is some sort of issue with the power settings. I have no idea what though. I did fiddle with some power settings via the settings manager but to no avail.

As with Timo, I then have to shut down from the log-in screen. Didn't have this prob with earlier versions of xubuntu, only 11.04.

I also would be interested in any advice in solving this.

ManualSparrow
May 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Try adding the 'action buttons' button to the panel instead of the 'session manager' one. Does the rightclick menu logout menu work?

Qazer
May 11th, 2011, 12:44 AM
This is likely https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7442

silentcreek
May 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
As far as I can tell, it always shuts down OK when on power but 75% of the time does not shut down when on battery.
I'm not running Xubuntu on a laptop, so for me I can rule that out.

Thanks,

Timo

silentcreek
May 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Try adding the 'action buttons' button to the panel instead of the 'session manager' one. Does the rightclick menu logout menu work?
I just tried that, but it doesnt help. The logout works fine, but the shutdown shows the same behaviour - leading me to the login screen.

Thanks,

Timo

ManualSparrow
May 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM
After uninstalling some things from Gnome, I now have the same problem and the login screen (gdm) is now blockier than it used to be and has only a black background.

EDIT: Reinstalled StartupManager, which installs some Gnome utilities but reenables the splash screen (which is disabled with Nvidia drivers for some reason) and, apparently, makes shutdown work properly.

peabrane
May 11th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions......

Tried installing StartupManager. Still the same problem.

Am already using the 'action buttons' to shut-down (or attempt to).

ManualSparrow
May 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I simultaneously reinstalled GDM and the associated Xubuntu GDM themes, so that may have helped although it isn't a fix on its own (confirmed this). Your problem may have a different origin.