PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Transmission SSL, Webmin, Virtual

Thegmandrive
May 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Alright folks,
I installed transmission-daemon and have it running and working.
The only problem is the web interface is http://www.mywebsite.com:9091/transmission/web/

I tried to use ssl protocol https://www.mywebsite.com:9091/transmission/web/ and i get the following error.

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.mywebsite.com:9091 (http://www.mywebsite.com:9091).

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

How can I get this to use my SSL cert?

I run ubuntu 10.04 LTS with virtualmin and webmin. I have a virtual website setup, and i want to use that cert...

any ideas? im totally lost :)

Thegmandrive
May 11th, 2011, 02:18 AM
anyone have some suggestions? or any ideas?

BkkBonanza
May 11th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I believe you have to use a proxy front end for this. I'm not really a Transmission user but a quick google seems to point this way. If Transmission doesn't have options built in for SSL then a proxy would be the only way (well, other than using SSH, which is very easy and just as secure if you have openssh-server already running).

Here is a link to setting up a proxy front end for Transmission,

https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6133

Thegmandrive
May 13th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Ill have to check that out, I was hoping there was a way to do this thorugh virtualmin. But Im having a hard time finding that information. I use a virtualmin, and have a virtual server, so I don't want to screw things up :)

Thegmandrive
May 13th, 2011, 04:50 AM
oh, how would I use ssh through a web browser? or are are you talking about something like Stunnel?

BkkBonanza
May 13th, 2011, 06:05 AM
SSH has a "dynamic" proxy mode which can give you a SOCKS 5 proxy. It's quite easy to use if you have the server up and going already.

Instead of a normal login connection you use a command (on your local system) like,

ssh -fND 8080 user@server

-f = run background, which causes it to start the proxy and return to you (so to stop the proxy you need to use the kill command and process id)
-N = don't run any program at server end
-D = socks proxy on port 8080 (you can use any open local port)

When this command returns a proxy has been started on port 8080 on your local system (check with ps and netstat commands). Any connection requests to that proxy port using socks protocol get forwarded to your server and processed there "as if originating on that system".

Since Firefox has native socks support you just need to set it's network options to use SOCKS5 proxy on port localhost:8080. Any web traffic now gets encrypted and sent thru a tunnel to your server where it goes out from there. This works for any program that can use SOCKS such as browsers, email clients, and most torrent clients too.

There is a handy quickproxy plugin for FF that makes it a single button click to toggle proxy mode on/off. I use that to avoid manually changing the network options all the time. There is also a gui interface to the ssh proxy and tunnel commands using gSTM in the repos.

I've actually run Deluge (torrent client) thru this type of proxy so that only a single encrypted connection goes from my system to my server and then hundreds of torrent connections go out from there. But that is a different usage than just accessing the browser interface securely. It worked great for me as my ISP connection limited connections to block torrents. This allowed relaying them out to my server where they could go wild.

This type of proxy is great for secure browsing when out at cafes etc. It's not ideal for a "semi-public" secure interface to a torrent client. It's fine for your own personal use managing your torrents remotely.

Keep in mind once FF is using the proxy all URLs are treated as if from your server so the address localhost means the server localhost and is likely the address you need for your torrent client. In that case make sure the FF network options aren't bypassing localhost for the proxy as I think it has that address excluded in the proxy options by default.

Thegmandrive
May 14th, 2011, 04:14 AM
wow! thanks for all your help

I added
ProxyRequests Off
<Proxy *>
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass /transmission http://localhost:9091/transmission
ProxyPassReverse /transmission http://localhost:9091/transmission

to my apache server config , and well, it Worked!! I am excited to try to SOCKS. Thanks again for your help.

Thegmandrive
May 17th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I believe you have to use a proxy front end for this. I'm not really a Transmission user but a quick google seems to point this way. If Transmission doesn't have options built in for SSL then a proxy would be the only way (well, other than using SSH, which is very easy and just as secure if you have openssh-server already running).

Here is a link to setting up a proxy front end for Transmission,

https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6133

After I added this to my Apache Configuration, I thought it was pretty cool that I don't need to have port 9091 open to the web anymore. The web interface still works! I can only assume this is due to the proxy being set up to use Localhost :).

BkkBonanza
May 18th, 2011, 01:12 AM
If Transmission is bound to the localhost interface it shouldn't be exposed to the external interface, so should only be visible to the local machine (including Apache proxy which would expose the ssl port on your real IP). I'm not sure of the setting options in Transmission but you would want to check it's not bound to your real IP or * but only to localhost.

Thegmandrive
May 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM
If Transmission is bound to the localhost interface it shouldn't be exposed to the external interface, so should only be visible to the local machine (including Apache proxy which would expose the ssl port on your real IP). I'm not sure of the setting options in Transmission but you would want to check it's not bound to your real IP or * but only to localhost.

hmm so, I no longer have port 9091 open (as far as my router configuration) I don't think I Fully understand what your meaning.
Transmission config has some settings that i updated,
I left the "rpc-port": 9091,but I updated the other function to be"proxy-port": 443,
I added the follwing lines to the /etc/apache2/sites-available/mywebsite.com.conf
<Proxy *>
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass /transmission http://localhost:9091/transmission
ProxyPassReverse /transmission http://localhost:9091/transmission

this allows me to log into the web interface using the HTTPS protocol, but does not allow non secured (which is exactly what I wanted)

BkkBonanza
May 19th, 2011, 03:47 AM
If you run the cmd sudo netstat -lntp it will list what programs have open ports and on what interfaces. For example, it will show that Transmission is listening on port 9091 on either: 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1

Either case would work for you and as long as you don't forward port 9091 thru your router then it's not a problem visible from the internet. It may be that Transmission doesn't have a config setting to decide what interface to listen on - in which case you don't have a choice. But if it does allow setting the interface then the "better" option would be to have it listen on "localhost" (127.0.0.1) as that would mean that only your own machine can connect to the port (which is what Apache is doing anyway), and the port isn't open to external connections even if your router were to allow a connection thru.

With your router set to not forward it's unlikely anyone would be able to bypass your ssl connection to Transmission - it's more a matter of completeness and understanding that I brought it up.

The point being that when a program listens on a port it is actually listening on specific interfaces on that port, eg. lo, eth0, wlan0 or what have you. When it is bound to lo then it can only be connected to by your system as lo is by nature not associated with a hardware network device. In the netstat output 0.0.0.0 indicates "any/all" which means it will accept connections on any interface.

Thegmandrive
May 19th, 2011, 07:36 AM
If you run the cmd sudo netstat -lntp it will list what programs have open ports and on what interfaces. For example, it will show that Transmission is listening on port 9091 on either: 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1

Either case would work for you and as long as you don't forward port 9091 thru your router then it's not a problem visible from the internet. It may be that Transmission doesn't have a config setting to decide what interface to listen on - in which case you don't have a choice. But if it does allow setting the interface then the "better" option would be to have it listen on "localhost" (127.0.0.1) as that would mean that only your own machine can connect to the port (which is what Apache is doing anyway), and the port isn't open to external connections even if your router were to allow a connection thru.

With your router set to not forward it's unlikely anyone would be able to bypass your ssl connection to Transmission - it's more a matter of completeness and understanding that I brought it up.

The point being that when a program listens on a port it is actually listening on specific interfaces on that port, eg. lo, eth0, wlan0 or what have you. When it is bound to lo then it can only be connected to by your system as lo is by nature not associated with a hardware network device. In the netstat output 0.0.0.0 indicates "any/all" which means it will accept connections on any interface.

ahhh, that makes way more sense, yeah, my router "no longer" forwards port 9091
There are a few settings in transmission that I was able to change in order to be local host instead of 0.0.0.0,
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:9091 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 18229/transmission-

Im concerned about some other settings. this next setting matches my PEER listening port in the transmission config, I can change it to bind to 127.0.0.1 but then I can't download anything :) currently it shows
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:20600 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 18229/transmission-

and then this looks like its the IPV6? should I change this?
tcp6 0 0 :::20600 :::* LISTEN 18229/transmission-

Sorry, one last question, related to ports and security.

This is the full netstat -lntp (Im changing anything that actually shows my ipaddress to 1.1.1.1)root@myusername:/home/username# netstat -lntp
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:3306 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 875/mysqld
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:587 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1565/master
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1644/dovecot
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1644/dovecot
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:783 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1092/spamd.pid
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:10000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1736/perl
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 483/apache2
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:465 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1565/master
tcp 0 0 1.1.1.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 853/named
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 853/named
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 983/sshd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:20600 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 18229/transmission-
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5432 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 917/postgres
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:11000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 925/lookup-domain-d
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1565/master
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:953 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 853/named
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:443 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 483/apache2
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:20000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1732/perl
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:993 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1644/dovecot
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:9091 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 18229/transmission-
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:995 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1644/dovecot
tcp6 0 0 :::139 :::* LISTEN 711/smbd
tcp6 0 0 :::21 :::* LISTEN 1662/proftpd: (acce
tcp6 0 0 :::53 :::* LISTEN 853/named
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 983/sshd
tcp6 0 0 :::20600 :::* LISTEN 18229/transmission-
tcp6 0 0 ::1:5432 :::* LISTEN 917/postgres
tcp6 0 0 ::1:953 :::* LISTEN 853/named
tcp6 0 0 :::445 :::* LISTEN 711/smbd

should i try to change any of these? some I assume have to be open to the web :), like my virtualmin port and such. interestingly I don't see that listed..

Would it be a good idea to set up some sort of proxy for webmin as well? currently i access webmin by going to https://mywebsite.com:10000

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for helping me out. I have read some things about this stuff online.. but now that I'm doing it, I find I keep coming up with more and more questions.

BkkBonanza
May 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Your torrent peer port would need to be 0.0.0.0 for it to be useful. Setting it to 127.0.0.1 would be like not having it. I generally don't bother with the peer port myself but I know it can slow down the torrents initially. It's not critical as the torrent client can still get the connections needed without it. In my case because I'm behind a router in my building (that I don't control) I can't actually listen publicly anyway, and I still get good torrent speeds without the peer port.

In your list above I would guess that virtualmin is shown as "perl". I don't use it but I believe it's written in perl and I wouldn't be surprised to see the port is owned by perl. Webmin probably 10000 and VirtualMin 20000. I don't know of any need to use a proxy on either since they support https.

I don't see anything really wrong in your list but I would probably make sure the smbd ports aren't forwarded thru your router. I would just look at each one and ask if you need it to be public. If you do then that's fine but if not then a good principle is to only expose the minimum required.

Thegmandrive
May 19th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah, it looks like the default settings for Virtualmin, and Webmin, are forced HTTPS.
https://www.mywebsite.com:10000 will work
http://www.mywebsite.com:10000 does not work.

as far as the Peer port goes, I don't have port 20600 open, and my torrents still download wicked fast, In fact I have to limit my download speed to about 1.4 mbps

ill be checking on my smbd ports tonight.

Thanks BkkBonanza (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=550406), I'm really starting to love Ubuntu!