PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft acquires Skype for $8.5 billion

Pages : [1] 2

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 07:16 AM
In recent days, Skype had been rumored to be in acquisition/partnership talks with the likes of Google and Facebook. Now Kara Swisher of AllThingsD is confirming (http://kara.allthingsd.com/20110509/microsoft-will-announce-acquistion-of-skype-tomorrow-morning/) a WSJ report (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703730804576313932659388852.html) which said that Microsoft may be the winning bidder. I'm concerned about what that would mean for non-MS platforms, particularly Linux (http://www.itworld.com/open-source/163509/microsofts-reported-skype-acquisition-may-impact-linux-users).

What do you think, and if MS wins and kills Skype for Linux what will you switch to? Google Talk? Something else? The problem with switching away from Skype is that the communication software you use has to be compatible with what others use.

Edit: Skip ahead (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754414&page=3#post10795989) to "It's official."

areteichi
May 10th, 2011, 07:22 AM
You posted a few minutes earlier than I! Hope the mods can delete it.

Yeah, I don't know what the impact of this acquisition would be should this goes through, but it probably won't help what already wasn't too keen on improving its quality on Linux (I mean Skype of course). I wonder if Microsoft would go as far as to discontinue Skype for Linux. To my knowledge, there is not a single product by Microsoft that officially supports Linux.

Spice Weasel
May 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I can see them stopping development, but I highly doubt they would waste time crippling older versions of the client.

Rasa1111
May 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM
well..
if skype works good now (i wouldnt know)
expect it to go to rubbish.

Copper Bezel
May 10th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I've already switched to Google Voice from my Gmail box. Honestly, it's slightly more free (as in gratis, not libre,) and I think the call quality is better, as well. (I'm generally calling telephones, though, not other VOIP clients.)

I don't think any software gets to win a compatibility fight with a webapp. = P There are far more Google accounts in the world than Skype accounts, and a little plugin that works with every browser ever is certainly simpler than installing a particular enduser application like Skype.

Edit: MS wouldn't go out of their way to cripple the desktop Linux version, but they could easily make changes to the network protocol and then push out a mandatory update to supported platforms, all for reasons that have little or nothing to do with the eight people using Skype on Linux.

Rasa1111
May 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
all for reasons that have little or nothing to do with the eight people using Skype on Linux.

Lol! :lol:

weasel fierce
May 10th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I actually use it, but purely as a chat interface with a few specific people. That could easily change to something else though

Joe of loath
May 10th, 2011, 08:45 AM
What do you think to mac support, then? A lot of my friends are 'individual' types, so daddy bought them all a mac (They all have a macbook, how individual :P). Do you think they'd release a crippled client, like for messenger?

Grenage
May 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I doubt Mac support would be affected; the user base is par more prominent than in Linux. That said, I can't see MS destroying Skype, they are ever walking on eggshells to avoid monopoly charges.

Paqman
May 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
What do you think, and if MS wins and kills Skype for Linux what will you switch to?

Why would they do that? Why spend billions buying something, then deliberately drive some of its customers to a rival product?

Their objective in buying Skype isn't to tackle any potential future threat from Linux on the desktop. It's not part of the strategy. If I was to guess i'd say they were looking to integrate the technology into a future version of Windows. That might mean that eventually the Skype protocol became superseded by something for which there wasn't a Linux client, but I highly doubt they'd cut Linux off right away.

frankbooth
May 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM
[-o< Dear God...

gnomeuser
May 10th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I would be far less worried about Skype being owned by Microsoft than by Facebook who were also mentioned as potential buyers. I see Facebook having more use for Skype though.

At any rate I expect the terrible Linux client to continue being terrible regardless of who owns Skype, it's traditional.

foxy123
May 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I guess the current dismal development of the Linux version will stop entirely and then they make changes to the protocol and here you are. The major problem is that I would've stopped using Skype long ago, but most of the people I call have no intention to change to any alternative protocol.

spupy
May 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Sooo, how well does skype work in Wine? :x

I wish Google Talk was more popular.

frankbooth
May 10th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I would be far less worried about Skype being owned by Microsoft than by Facebook who were also mentioned as potential buyers. I see Facebook having more use for Skype though.

At any rate I expect the terrible Linux client to continue being terrible regardless of who owns Skype, it's traditional.

I'd rather have Facebook buying Skype, somehow it feels like they would've put more resources on the linux client

kreggz
May 10th, 2011, 10:05 AM
goodbye android and linux client.

However Microsoft may use this to pressure Google to allow YouTube on WP7.

Either way the Linux client is dead within one to two years.

manicol
May 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Microsoft will never try to cut out users, it just the most stupid thing any company could do. Gnomeuser is right, I will be much more afraid of Skype owned by Facebook than by Microsoft.

Johnsie
May 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM
To be fair, Microsoft have never done anything to harm me... Facebook on the other hand have collected a large database about me that could be very harmful in the wrong hands.

I'm going to go for a 'wait and see' approach on this one. It's very easy for people to spread fud about company X or Y before anything even happens... Nobody on here knows their real plans, but hey, keep on rubbing your crystal balls and spouting your prophecies ;-) I take any opinion of Microsoft with a pinch of salt on a Linux forum since quite often people have alterior motives.

walt.smith1960
May 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Microsoft will never try to cut out users, it just the most stupid thing any company could do. Gnomeuser is right, I will be much more afraid of Skype owned by Facebook than by Microsoft.

Given MS' history, it would be absolutely in character to make changes so that the Linux client works but so poorly as to be unusable. Then, that as another example of Linux' inferiority. A descendant of the "DOS isn't done 'til Lotus won't run" mindset.

Virus666
May 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I don't think any software gets to win a compatibility fight with a webapp. = P There are far more Google accounts in the world than Skype accounts, and a little plugin that works with every browser ever is certainly simpler than installing a particular enduser application like Skype.

I wish Google Talk was more popular.

Skype has far more users than Gmail and Facebook:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_virtual_communities_with_more_than_100_mil lion_users

To my knowledge, there is not a single product by Microsoft that officially supports Linux.

Microsoft officialy helped Samba project by licensing some of its network codes with GNU. Moreover, Microsoft indirectly supports Mono project with its aggrement with Novell.

---

Whatever, I do not think that Microsoft suddenly drops support for the native non-windows clients of Skype. However, we must bu sure that it is inevitable that Microsoft make some changes in the protocol and non-windows clients will be more and ustable and finally unusable in time. I expect that Windows, Windows Mobile/Windows Phone and Mac OS X clients of Skype continue to be updated...

On the other hand, we have to seek for a new way for video chat. Google Video Chat seems easier that Skype even it has no multiple-conference function. However, I cannot succeed to make it work with my HP Pavilion dv6000. Thinks seem complicated, it will be clear after the official announcement of acquirement... :neutral:

sdowney717
May 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
they are not just buying skype, they are also buying all the skype users.
MS needs to move on and try to dominate every software technology that exceeds a certain user threshold. If they cant buy then they try to engineer something to suck users away towards windows. The MS goal is to force computer users to use windows products. Linux and apple and google are big threats to MS.

This could be part of the windows phone 7 they just partnered with nokia. Imagine windows phone 7 using wimax or wifi with skype as extra incentive to entice users to buy into the windows phone OS.
There you go again MS.

Swagman
May 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Any patents involved ?

Microsoft doesn't do ANYTHING without there being a scumbag ulterior motive.

Johnsie
May 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Microsoft are terrorists... we must defeat them at all costs. If we let them win they will take over the earth and force men to wear skirts and they will ban bicyles and chocolate!!! Now where is the kool aid and my tin foil hat ;-) Let's spread the fear!!!

ctrlmd
May 10th, 2011, 12:28 PM
no one pay 8.5B $ for a software then go insanely and shrink user database
unless they are crazy :d

ctrlmd
May 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Microsoft are terrorists... we must defeat them at all costs. If we let them win they will take over the earth and force men to wear skirts and they will ban bicyles and chocolate!!! Now where is the kool aid and my tin foil hat ;-) Let's spread the fear!!!

rofl

Dry Lips
May 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Blink?

http://icanblink.com/index.phtml

ade234uk
May 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I expect it soon to be spattered with Microsoft Ads. What a horrible way for Skype to go. I think lots of people will stop using it. How long before they stop offering it to other platforms.

Nice way to kill Linux users.

YesWeCan
May 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Oh no...Skype is going to The Dark Side!

Skype support on linux is a little crummy anyhow.
BTW what is the best alternative to Skype for linux?

CandidMan
May 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
<rant>
I'm disappointed by this decision.
It's just disheartening to see any company aiming for a monopoly through money and dirty tactics rather than merit.
Some people might say that it's just good business or shrewd but for me it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
I guess I've developed a semi-rational mistrust of anything Microsoft simply because they will always put profits before quality and customers. And their 'ethics' will only be guided by profits, and as such are extremely fickle.
</rant>

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
It's official. (http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/may11/05-10CorpNewsPR.mspx)

coffee412
May 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
According to news today MS will buy skype to add to their portfolio.

What a sad day this is. Microsoft will no doubt make a lot of changes to skype and the one I fear might be ending support for linux based skype. Could happen - who knows?

Seems whatever MS puts their paws on really doesn't do very well. But according to information on the web, Skype really still has not turned a profit in the business. So, I guess a buy out by someone was inevitable.

So, How about some new warning messages that MS will add to skype ?

(starting skype)
"You must have Internet Explorer installed to access this function"

-- I bet they incorporate a bing search button or something!

coffee

Kdar
May 10th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I just saw this on news too. Terrible news!
I will stop using Skype if it will really be owned by Microsoft.

PC_load_letter
May 10th, 2011, 02:09 PM
It's official. (http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/may11/05-10CorpNewsPR.mspx)

Just read it this morning on CNN. This really sucks, now what.

Kdar
May 10th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Now stop using it, if it will really be true.

kaldor
May 10th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Or take a realistic approach and use it if the company is willing to produce a Linux version still.

AllenGG
May 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Remember HOTMAIL ? Well MS bought it, changed it, and now it spreads problems . Spam being the biggest.

Now Skype, and I use it every day. So ! now what ?

Kdar
May 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Or take a realistic approach and use it if the company is willing to produce a Linux version still.

Well, hopefully that will not change. But even now, with their pathetic urge to make a linux version, maybe it will be unlikely.

NTL2009
May 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Damn! And I just put $10 on account with Skype when I was travelling in Europe, so I could call some landline phones direct in the States. Just a couple cents/minute - really good deal. Now my remaining $8.20 belongs to Microsoft???!!! Oh, the humanity!

More seriously, what is a good alternative? Is Google Voice the way to go (actually, I think my kids use that over Skype).

-NTL2009

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
There is already a thread on this. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754414

AllenGG
May 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Yes, biggest news of the day, but....
what are our options ??

Grenage
May 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
It's apparently quite good, but I believe it's only available in the USA at the moment; that won't be a problem for you, of course.

RiceMonster
May 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Damn! And I just put $10 on account with Skype when I was travelling in Europe, so I could call some landline phones direct in the States. Just a couple cents/minute - really good deal. Now my remaining $8.20 belongs to Microsoft???!!! Oh, the humanity!

More seriously, what is a good alternative? Is Google Voice the way to go (actually, I think my kids use that over Skype).

-NTL2009

You're seriously going to spend your money based on the company behind it and not on the quality/price of what you're spending it on?

Whatever, your choice.

Grenage
May 10th, 2011, 02:22 PM
How many people here use MSN messenger through Pidgin/Kopete/Empathy? I see no reason for things to change drastically. Just because a large company is buying out a large product, it doesn't mean they'll hash it, just to spite a few fringe users.

coffee412
May 10th, 2011, 02:22 PM

You might not have a choice.

How very sad. End of an era if you ask me.

coffee

AllenGG
May 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Google's voice and video works very well, but for some people (MS Windows users) it seems difficult to set up.
Will Google improve it ?

Virus666
May 10th, 2011, 02:34 PM
According to official statement Microsoft may continue to support non-microsoft clients:

"Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities. Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms."

I am not sure what exactly is "non-Microsoft platforms" for Microsoft. If they are refering just Mac OS X, Android and IOS; we suck... However, Skype is a great market and I do not think that Microsoft wants to lose a platform to Google Video Chat... Anyway, we will see...

Official statement:
http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/may11/05-10CorpNewsPR.mspx

Google Video Chat:
http://www.google.com/chat/video

Thewhistlingwind
May 10th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Humph, interesting. I dropped skype when they got rid of the beautiful silken blue GUI they had. And replaced it with.........that thing.......

madmax75
May 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I have never used Skype and probably never will (at least not after Microsoft acquired it).

Still, this is sad. Microsoft is like a zombie plague. :mad:

tgalati4
May 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM
This is good news. The only way for MS to shrink is to spend a lot of money on acquisitions. This leaves less money for true innovation.

NTL2009
May 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM

-NTL2009

You're seriously going to spend your money based on the company behind it and not on the quality/price of what you're spending it on?

Whatever, your choice.

Well, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I thought my 'More seriously' comment made that point.

But yes, to a point, I would prefer not to spend any money with Microsoft. I don't like their business practices and I think they have stifled competition. So no, I don't want to support them if I can avoid it.

As far as quality/price - that's why I was asking. If there is something as good or better, I will switch. I like choice.

-NTL2009

solitaire
May 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
It will probably be called MSM (Microsoft Skype Messenger)
They will stuff all the bloat of the current MSMessenger into Skype....

whees
May 10th, 2011, 03:05 PM
My response to Microsoft's purchase of Skype:

sudo apt-get remove skype
rm -rf ~/.Skype
sudo apt-get install telepathy-sofiasip

To: contactus@skype.net
L.S.,

Following the news on the sale of skype to Microsoft I would like to inform you that I will no longer be needing my skype account. I am aware that Microsoft has made a promise to keep investing in non Windows platforms. I however have absolutely no fate in Microsofts vision, future or promises.

Since I will no longer be using my Skype account I would like it to be deleted. My skype username is: ####### and it is connected to this email address. Please remove it from your servers.

Best regards,

Copper Bezel
May 10th, 2011, 03:06 PM
As far as quality/price - that's why I was asking. If there is something as good or better, I will switch. I like choice.

With Google Voice, there's no monthly fee for access to outgoing landline calls, and you're given a number for free instead of having to lease it yourself, so you can actually receive incoming calls from landlines as well straight out of the box. The drawback is that it's browser based, like most of Google's offerings, so the interface doesn't quite have Skype's easy integration with the desktop and you do have to be running a browser.

Throne777
May 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
How many people here use MSN messenger through Pidgin/Kopete/Empathy? I see no reason for things to change drastically. Just because a large company is buying out a large product, it doesn't mean they'll hash it, just to spite a few fringe users.

False analogy.
Pidgin/Empathy/aMSN were built to accommodate MSN Messenger; they didn't exist before MSN Messenger, unlike Skype. Microsoft doesn't make a Linux version of MSN Messenger; Pidgin/Empathy/etc have nothing to do with Microsoft (they just make it possible to use an MS product on Linux).

sydbat
May 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM
sudo apt-get remove skype

L.S.,

Following the news on the sale of skype to Microsoft I would like to inform you that I will no longer be needing my skype account. I am aware that Microsoft has made a promise to keep investing in non Windows platforms. I however have absolutely no fate in Microsofts vision, future or promises.

Since I will no longer be using my Skype account I would like it to be deleted. My skype username is: ####### and it is connected to this email address. Please remove it from your servers.

Best regards,http://www.esreality.com/files/placeimages/2010/75342-Yet_another_Picard_facepalm.jpg

Also

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UUkU74bUt0A/TTYg53Oy3-I/AAAAAAAAAKQ/6oLqty3W7SM/s1600/_bear%2525252525252Bface%2525252525252Bpalm.jpg

prodigy_
May 10th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Requiescat in pace, dear Skype...

Fedz
May 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Nowt wrong! Like eg: ICQ, MSN you're free to use other software to access the protocol, nobody's forcing you to use the proprietary software :s

ctrlmd
May 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
My response to Microsoft's purchase of Skype:

why not its just a service
if this service well benefit you why not use it
:confused:

prodigy_
May 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Like eg: ICQ, MSN you're free to use other software to access the protocol
A pity AOL (the owner of ICQ) doesn't know about that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICQ#Pressure_on_alternative_clients).

RiceMonster
May 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM

That would be far too reasonable.

whees
May 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM

Because I do not want to be part of that particular ecosystem.

3 frags left
May 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM
One image can explain my feelings on this, in a nutshell.
http://208.111.34.248/nonsense/why.jpg

bud986
May 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
For me Skype in Linux has worked great, to problems what so ever for me. But as of what I think of Microsoft, mostlikley they will ruin skype it's going to turn into some cooked up contration toped with xbox live & games for windows live service.

It's just not because it's Microsoft hate for my part but everything they seem to come in contact with seems to die.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1reAlLTD9_Sm3VrG_EBifVfT9By_Pn LHSQ6Z_GFybcCNwgwKC

ranjank
May 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM
We should teach Microsoft by developing a client that should kill skype. We can improve Ekiga.

Linux rocks!

del_diablo
May 10th, 2011, 03:30 PM
So.... where is the option?
A "option" means a equal alternativ, with at the least a equally sleek & hasslefree GUI, equal or better video capaties, and equal or better desktop sharing.
Skype is extremely practical, that alone means that a lot of "worse alterantives" are automatically disqualified for being a alternative.

bud986
Just for the fun of it! Insanity awaits!

Let's go Crazy with Mr Balmer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

whees
We should teach Microsoft by developing a client that should kill skype. We can improve Ekiga.

Linux rocks!

With Skype it's the service that counts. Good Software has been available for ages.

whees
May 10th, 2011, 03:33 PM
A "option" means a equal alternativ, with at the least a equally sleek & hasslefree GUI, equal or better video capaties, and equal or better desktop sharing.
Skype is extremely practical, that alone means that a lot of "worse alterantives" are automatically disqualified for being a alternative.

Option does not mean "a equal alternativ" it means: "something that may be or is chosen". Equal or not.

Fedz
May 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
A pity AOL (the owner of ICQ) doesn't know about that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICQ#Pressure_on_alternative_clients).
They've tolerated it for donkey's years without question & no reason to see otherwise with so many alternatives available :)

Throne777
May 10th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Option does not mean "a equal alternativ" it means: "something that may be or is chosen". Equal or not.

Well paper cups and string is technically an option. I don't think anyone would take it, though.

3 frags left
May 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
For me Skype in Linux has worked great, to problems what so ever for me. But as of what I think of Microsoft, mostlikley they will ruin skype it's going to turn into some cooked up contration toped with xbox live & games for windows live service.

It's just not because it's Microsoft hate for my part but everything they seem to come in contact with seems to die.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1reAlLTD9_Sm3VrG_EBifVfT9By_Pn LHSQ6Z_GFybcCNwgwKC
Kinda like a King Midas of Fail.

whees
May 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Well paper cups and string is technically an option. I don't think anyone would take it, though.

Maybe it's not an option, I'm just saying that "option" does not mean "equal" or "same". So when you're talking about option. I have the option of not using internet calling, or using a crippled system.

This evening I have 2 options for diner: Steak with fries or bread. (Easy choice but still an option.)

linuxyogi
May 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Skype is the only software which I am successfully using for Video Chat .

I have tried Gtalk with pidgin before but it didn't work. Pidgin just crashed when I tried to video call someone. I tried that for sometime & then just gave up.

But recently I thought let's try Skype & it worked. My line speed is 512kbps & the friend's line speed is as low as 56kbps but still we video chat quite successfully.

If Skype is really gone then what is the alternative for a guy like me, to whom video is a must ??

What is the latest status of pidgin's Video Call feature using Gtalk ?? People who are using Gtalk with pidgin for video chat please update me.

TIA

whees
May 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM
You don't have to shout. I can read it just fine.

I use gtalk with a colleague of mine a lot. We don't have low bandwidth situations so I don't know about that. Works great.

I use empathy, he mostly uses the browser plugin.

3Miro
May 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
False analogy.
Pidgin/Empathy/aMSN were built to accommodate MSN Messenger; they didn't exist before MSN Messenger, unlike Skype. Microsoft doesn't make a Linux version of MSN Messenger; Pidgin/Empathy/etc have nothing to do with Microsoft (they just make it possible to use an MS product on Linux).

MSN is an open protocol, meaning that anyone can write a client for it. Skype is a closed protocol, meaning only Skype can make a client for it. There was some talk about Skype becoming open, if this is to happen, then we will just have a Skype client written by the community (and it will probably be better than the current monster). If Skype doesn't become open, then MS will never make a Linux client and naturally Skype for Linux will die.

basvos
May 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
$kype

ctrlmd
May 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM
That would be far too reasonable.

i guess so:(

linuxyogi
May 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
You don't have to shout. I can read it just fine.

I use gtalk with a colleague of mine a lot. We don't have low bandwidth situations so I don't know about that. Works great.

I use empathy, he mostly uses the browser plugin.

Don't worry I never had to shout, not even while using Pidgin/Gtalk.

As I have mentioned that I faced was regarding the video.

I will try Gtalk with Pidgin. Thanks

Dragonbite
May 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Aw ****.

uRock
May 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM
A proprietary service being bought out by another. Kool with me.

Identical threads merged.

Tristam Green
May 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
That's hot.

Dragonbite
May 10th, 2011, 04:05 PM
MSN is an open protocol, meaning that anyone can write a client for it. Skype is a closed protocol, meaning only Skype can make a client for it. There was some talk about Skype becoming open, if this is to happen, then we will just have a Skype client written by the community (and it will probably be better than the current monster). If Skype doesn't become open, then MS will never make a Linux client and naturally Skype for Linux will die.

Skype was talking about open sourcing only the client, but keeping the protocol proprietary. I don't know if they did do that.

The advantage of Skype was it's cross-platform accessibility without having to set up a Google account (which some people balk at).

I seem to remember, though, somebody talking about an open source Skype-like system in development. I don't know if or how well that is going, but if it isn't cross-platform it will be a fail.

Oh, and if I read right, the Facebook chat is using the MSN IM network which is where most of its use comes from.

DZ*
May 10th, 2011, 04:16 PM
What is the latest status of pidgin's Video Call feature using Gtalk ?? People who are using Gtalk with pidgin for video chat please update me.

Pidgin XMPP video calls work for me in Lucid and Narwhal.

I use either browser plugin or Pidgin for video chat with my friends who are on gmail. Non-gmail XMPP accounts (jabber.org) also work in Pidgin for video chat with people who use gmail + google browser plugin.

A "option" means a equal alternativ, with at the least a equally sleek & hasslefree GUI, equal or better video capaties, and equal or better desktop sharing. Skype is extremely practical, that alone means that a lot of "worse alterantives" are automatically disqualified for being a alternative.

For just video chat, gtalk is as good as skype, in my experience. Sorry about the "desktop sharing" thing. I didn't even know that skype could do that, although some people allege that skype "shares" more than just the desktop :-)

Copper Bezel
May 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM
The advantage of Skype was it's cross-platform accessibility without having to set up a Google account (which some people balk at).
As in, because some people feel about Google the way several people in this thread feel about Microsoft? I mean, setting up a Google account or a Skype account comes to the same thing if you're not using any of the other services.

I seem to remember, though, somebody talking about an open source Skype-like system in development. I don't know if or how well that is going, but if it isn't cross-platform it will be a fail.
Well, again, it's not something that can be done peer to peer, so you need server infrastructure; you might have a free application, but you still don't have a free service (and for reference, see every other Linux VoIP client ever.) Further, it's something that would need a fair bit of market penetration; you have the same problem as with, say, saying that Diaspora is a Facebook alternative.

If the userbase was smaller, I could see Microsoft sabotaging Skype to replace it with another service, in the sense that car companies used to buy up and tear down trolley lines here in the US. It's an absurdly popular service that's essentially synonymous with VoIP, though, so the worst I could see is desktop Linux losing out.

I don't agree that cross-platform support is something that could make or break an alternative service. It's a fairly small consideration in terms of expanding the actual userbase.

Canis familiaris
May 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I don't see Microsoft investing anything in the Linux client for Skype. It will become stagnant and probably dead soon. The number of Linux users of Skype is not enough to keep interest in the Linux platform either.

Has Microsoft written or maintained anything for Linux apart from the Linux support in Hyper-V? I think not.

Toaster Box
May 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM
That is bad. That is what happens when we use programs mades by Corporations.A bigger Corporation try to boughts the smaller corporation to destroy the competition. I think we should start looking for open source alternatives.
If Microsoft is going to acquire skype that could be end of the skype for linux.:mad::mad::mad:

del_diablo
May 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
For just video chat, gtalk is as good as skype, in my experience. Sorry about the "desktop sharing" thing. I didn't even know that skype could do that, although some people allege that skype "shares" more than just the desktop :-)

I keep hearing rumors gtalk is America only service.
That means that is 1 less service to even consider an option.

One of the other things I remember about Skype was that it was not a total and utter pain to make a account, nor was there insane password requirements.

I also keep hearing about ekiga, but why do I only keep hearing about it? Is it "good enough", or must we wait for a good enough software yet again?

DZ*
May 10th, 2011, 04:44 PM
This sounds good though
Google Android 2.3.4 Adds Video Chat (http://www.pcworld.com/article/226680/google_android_234_adds_video_chat.html)

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM

You're probably thinking of Google Voice (https://www.google.com/voice), not Google Talk (http://www.google.com/talk/). They're two different things, and as far as I know Google Talk is a global service.

del_diablo
May 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
But its GOOGLE! We are suppose to distrust them! [/parody]
That does not sound that bad, but how is the clients, and how is the accounts setup? I currently can't login to my google account due the insane password requirements(i am required to make a password I can not remember).

DZ*
May 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I keep hearing rumors gtalk is America only service. That means that is 1 less service to even consider an option

I can assure you that this is false. I regularly video chat via gtalk with my European friends. Perhaps you are thinking of Google Voice.

del_diablo
May 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM
But what about Ekiga?
And what clients can I use for gtalk? and what accounts must I use for it?

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
But its GOOGLE! We are suppose to distrust them! [/parody]
That does not sound that bad, but how is the clients, and how is the accounts setup? I currently can't login to my google account due the insane password requirements(i am required to make a password I can not remember).

I haven't used it much so I can't really say. It's part of Gmail's web interface, and the text chat also works in any chat client which supports Jabber/XMPP. Audio/video requires a browser plugin.

As for your password issues, I recommend using LastPass (http://www.lastpass.com) or something similar to remember your passwords for you so that strong passwords aren't a problem. That's completely off-topic, however, so if you want to discuss it further please PM me or start a new thread. To those who now want to bring up the recent "issue" read this. (http://www.pcworld.com/article/227268/exclusive_lastpass_ceo_explains_possible_hack.html )

Toaster Box
May 10th, 2011, 05:04 PM
you are wrong.
I´m Currently living in Brazil and i can use gtalk and gvoice to talk with my friends and parents in U.S.A.

DZ*
May 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Audio/video requires a browser plugin

... or just Pidgin or Empathy.

ZarathustraDK
May 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM
If Skype is not turning a profit in the first place, then I don't see the problem.

On the contrary, if upkeep of the service proves to be a moneydrain, then go nuts and have a permanent conference-call open 24/7 to lift money out of Microsoft (yeah, it'll go to the ISP's, not exactly altruistic organisations, but still..).

I have faith that Microsoft will mess up Skype by trying to make money off of it, or forget it in a drawer somewhere.

theVenerable
May 10th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Anyway.. bak to topic..
I was using skype with my netbook when I was abroad, and it was near useless..
I would hardly ever receive offline messages sent to me, and i could not send any either.
Why 25 million people use that thing at any one time is beyond me.. its just not very reliable.

DZ*
May 10th, 2011, 05:10 PM
And what clients can I use for gtalk? and what accounts must I use for it?

Make a gmail account and download the browser plugin
That way you can video chat right from the gmail page opened in a browser.

You can also do the same from Pidgin or Empathy.

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM
On the contrary, if upkeep of the service proves to be a moneydrain, then go nuts and have a permanent conference-call open 24/7 to lift money out of Microsoft (yeah, it'll go to the ISP's, not exactly altruistic organisations, but still..).

Skype is a peer-to-peer service, so I doubt call length would affect costs for Microsoft.

FlameReaper
May 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/corpnews/liveevent.aspx

Should I worry very, very profusely now that I think my daily conversation with some Japanese friends be in danger?

Dragonbite
May 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Well, again, it's not something that can be done peer to peer, so you need server infrastructure; you might have a free application, but you still don't have a free service (and for reference, see every other Linux VoIP client ever.) Further, it's something that would need a fair bit of market penetration; you have the same problem as with, say, saying that Diaspora is a Facebook alternative.

I thought Ekiga was trying to be a peer-to-peer network. At the very least the project I read about (and really need to see if I can find it again) was aiming to be peer-to-peer unlike Skype.

del_diablo
May 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM
DZ & Macskeeball: That makes me sad, for I belive it is not up to par with Skype.
And still, that is only for video and chat, it seems to me that it is indeed inferior with Skype. But what about desktop sharing? Sensible user account names and easy registration?! Half the goddie of skype was "my username is less than 8 letters long, and can be copypasted in a easy way" and the "chatting with stranges, adding them easy".
And "google account", ugh, that is my veto, for I still hate it because of the password issue. Using something like lastpass would only be dodging the issue, and frankly that service has been rumored to have gotten hacked a few times.
Nevermind that that would be making yet another account for a service so I can get to services........

So yeah: Where is my alternative?!
:popcorn:

oldsoundguy
May 10th, 2011, 06:31 PM
it is no longer rumor:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13343600

You think it was bad enough to eBay to order it's gerbils to write code for non MS Skype. Now what will happen?
Maybe somebody will actually get a UNIVERSAL system such as was the original intent of Skype on line. And maybe NOT.

When the relatives arroundthe world are using Macs and MSPCs and you are using Linux .. will it become TOTALLY impossible to utilize any Skype type program with any form of reliability?

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I thought Ekiga was trying to be a peer-to-peer network. At the very least the project I read about (and really need to see if I can find it again) was aiming to be peer-to-peer unlike Skype.

Unlike Skype? No, Skype is peer-to-peer. (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/support/user-guides/p2pexplained/)

Using something like lastpass would only be dodging the issue, and frankly that service has been rumored to have gotten hacked a few times.
It hasn't, not really. If you're talking about the recent network anomaly, there was a lot of misleading reporting on that. Again, read the article I linked to in my previous post: http://www.pcworld.com/article/227268/exclusive_lastpass_ceo_explains_possible_hack.html I don't want to get into that discussion too much in this thread about MS & Skype, though.

Nevermind that that would be making yet another account for a service so I can get to services........
Fair enough.

beew
May 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Crap, just when we finally get a Skype upgrade after how many years? It is now working very nicely in Ubuntu..

This kind of Corporate take over should have to be approved by the court or whatever power that be, it gives monoliths with vested interests like M$ too much power in dictating consumer choices and thus hurts competition even if setting aside our interest as Linux users.

beew
May 10th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that unless all your contacts switch to another provider you can only use Skype to communicate with them? I can switch to other software easily the hard part is to get everyone I know to change.

rent0n
May 10th, 2011, 07:17 PM
This is really bad news.
Skype is very widespread and I use it daily to keep in touch with family, friends and for business as well.
We all know Skype is the only software that allows reliable cross-platform video chatting. And, yes, I think I tried all available "alternatives".

I have to hope Microsoft will surprise all of us and continue support Skype for GNU/Linux.
Oh dear, so I'll be Microsoft-dependent again, after ~5 years (well except from a mouse).

rent0n
May 10th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that unless all your contacts switch to another provider you can only use Skype to communicate with them? I can switch to other software easily the hard part is to get everyone I know to change.

No you're not wrong. That's the problem actually.

Copper Bezel
May 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM

So yeah: Where is my alternative?!
Since it came with a smilie, I think that was a joke, but to state the obvious, you'd need an account with someone, somewhere, with any application, even if it was completely peer to peer (as Skype apparently is, which I hadn't realized.) There has to be some way to identify users, at the very least.

If you're feeling anti-corporate, there's still Ekiga. The inconveniences associated are precisely the difference between "selling out" and not. = ) (And notice that I say this as a Google Voice user and with a smilie.)

beew
May 10th, 2011, 07:36 PM
And meanwhile you have all these people saying Linux is ~1% as if it is all Linux's fault.

I am not going back to Windows over Skype. The Linux skype client is probably going to be good for a couple of years (well we have been using Skype beta for what, 2 years until the recent upgrade?) I am hopeful that there will be other alternatives emerging. If MS is going to make Skype very dependent on Windows technology it will probably fall by the wayside given the popularity of devices and MS's weak foothold on that market..

beew
May 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
If you're feeling anti-corporate, there's still Ekiga. The inconveniences associated are precisely the difference between "selling out" and not. = ) (And notice that I say this as a Google Voice user and with a smilie.)

I am interested in Ekiga but how is it going to work if all my contacts have skype? It is not just a question of you "selling out" or not, but the people you talk to as well.

Quadunit404
May 10th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Oh hi guys.

Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms.

Source: http://about.skype.com/press/2011/05/microsoft_to_acquire_skype.html#more

Now stop acting like Microsoft is going to go like "lol screw you non-Windows users" and flip the kill switch for OS X, Linux, iOS, Android, PSP, kitchen sink and toaster basically forcing you to buy a Windows license to keep in contact with your Skype contacts. They've already made it clear that Skype will remain multi-platform.

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Oh hi guys.

Source: http://about.skype.com/press/2011/05/microsoft_to_acquire_skype.html#more

Now stop acting like Microsoft is going to go like "lol screw you non-Windows users" and flip the kill switch for OS X, Linux, iOS, Android, PSP, kitchen sink and toaster basically forcing you to buy a Windows license to keep in contact with your Skype contacts. They've already made it clear that Skype will remain multi-platform.

Virus666 beat you to it a few pages ago, but he also made a good point for us to consider. They can be multi-platform without necessarily supporting desktop Linux.

According to official statement Microsoft may continue to support non-microsoft clients:

"Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities. Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms."

I am not sure what exactly is "non-Microsoft platforms" for Microsoft. If they are refering just Mac OS X, Android and IOS; we suck... However, Skype is a great market and I do not think that Microsoft wants to lose a platform to Google Video Chat... Anyway, we will see...

Official statement:
http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/may11/05-10CorpNewsPR.mspx

Google Video Chat:

8jwong14
May 10th, 2011, 08:19 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5800329/confirmed-microsoft-is-buying-skype-for-85-billion

Oh no! Will they still support it for Linux? If they don't I will hate Micro$oft even more. I will preach that they are trying to dominate computing!

Edit: They will still invest in it for Linux but I am sure they will put very little focus on it.

Quadunit404
May 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I am actually thinking that Skype for iOS might die first, as it competes with Apple's FaceTime and according to Apple, competing with default apps = big no-no. That is potentially the ONLY version of Skype to die, and if it is then it won't be Redmond's fault! :P

Although Skype for the kitchen sink and toaster might die, too :lolflag:

leviathan8
May 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hello and excuse me for the little off topic I'll make now.
I'm a bit too young to understand these things, so I would like to ask a couple of questions.
First of all, how is this "buy a company" procedure handled? Do the founders of the bought company (in our case, Skype) still make a profit off of their product? Or they are only left with the money given by the buyer? And what about the employees? Do they get dismissed or what happens to them?
That's all I can think of for now, sorry if it might sound preposterous.
Thank you.

t0p
May 10th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Microsoft buy everything. They'd buy Ubuntu if they could. Then they'd kill it in a slow and torturous manner.

As for Skype's Linuxability: I'm sure it won't just stop. But I'm also sure it isn't going to be maintained with as much care and frequency as it could be. Microsoft dislike Linux with a vengeance, they ain't gonna do us no favours!

del_diablo
May 10th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Since it came with a smilie, I think that was a joke, but to state the obvious, you'd need an account with someone, somewhere, with any application, even if it was completely peer to peer (as Skype apparently is, which I hadn't realized.) There has to be some way to identify users, at the very least.

More like sarcasm or "I complain because I complain", so yeah :P

Ekiga might be something, but then I spotted this:
"(2) Go to Ekiga.NET to register a new account. This will give you what is called a “SIP number”. It is like a “user ID” for the open internet telephone network. "
So it has no sane way of doing user accounts I think, which means that it loses on step 1 of making something that works.
I might be wrong, but I sort of feel a bit to cynical to let that doubt be a good doubt.

Some times I wish people could sit down, create a proper application or solution, make it work, and then distribute it properly.
Blender seems to be on the good track in contrast to the GIMP, but there is still a whole boatload of applications and similar that just fails at step 1(creating something that works well enough).

8jwong14
May 10th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hello and excuse me for the little off topic I'll make now.
I'm a bit too young to understand these things, so I would like to ask a couple of questions.
First of all, how is this "buy a company" procedure handled? Do the founders of the bought company (in our case, Skype) still make a profit off of their product? Or they are only left with the money given by the buyer? And what about the employees? Do they get dismissed or what happens to them?
That's all I can think of for now, sorry if it might sound preposterous.
Thank you.
I have no idea. I'm just 15.

Melophonic
Well, this could detach Skype from Linux, however this is just a possibility, but if that happens well, Microsoft is just getting shittier everytime. Oh, just go bankrupt and let Linux and Mac rule the world.

Dragonbite
This kind of Corporate take over should have to be approved by the court or whatever power that be, it gives monoliths with vested interests like M$ too much power in dictating consumer choices and thus hurts competition even if setting aside our interest as Linux users.

Considering there is competition in the form of GTalk, Yahoo! and iChat I doubt the courts will be interested in touching this.

When Microsoft has said "cross-platform" in the past, they have only added Apple to their across-Windows offering, nothing more.

Please remind me of what Microsoft offers Linux specifically? Mono doesn't count because it was developed by Novell and the community. MSN, Office compatibility, Office online are either reversed-engineered or is available cross-platform only because it is a web site. I'm not anti-Microsoft but I don't hold much faith in their offerings.

Oh, I think I thought of something they said they offer Linux; Silverlight. Hmm...

8jwong14
May 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Microsoft buy everything. They'd buy Ubuntu if they could. Then they'd kill it in a slow and torturous manner.

As for Skype's Linuxability: I'm sure it won't just stop. But I'm also sure it isn't going to be maintained with as much care and frequency as it could be. Microsoft dislike Linux with a vengeance, they ain't gonna do us no favours!
Exactly. I am sure Micro$oft will make the Windows so much better to convince people to use Skype on Windows. Maybe some sort of message like "Use Skype on Windows for full support and features"

t0p
May 10th, 2011, 08:30 PM

There's no standard approach to these things. Sometimes the founders will retain an interest, sometimes they'll just get a big fat cheque and a ticket to a tropical island. Generally the employees don't all get dismissed, but often the new owners will put their own people into important positions.

sydbat
May 10th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Exactly. I am sure Micro$oft will make the Windows so much better to convince people to use Skype on Windows. Maybe some sort of message like "Use Skype on Windows for full support and features"What, exactly, is Micro$oft?

RiceMonster
May 10th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Looking at the first page before you make a thread - bad idea.

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I am actually thinking that Skype for iOS might die first, as it competes with Apple's FaceTime and according to Apple, competing with default apps = big no-no. That is potentially the ONLY version of Skype to die, and if it is then it won't be Redmond's fault! :P

If that were the case, why would Apple have approved Skype into their store in the first place? It's been in there for a long time, and Steve Jobs even had Skype onstage once to demonstrate iOS 4 multitasking.

Elfy
May 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM
What, exactly, is Micro$oft?

Extremely silly poor spelling. I thought it was Microsoft.

jgratero
May 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Exactly. I am sure Micro$oft will make the Windows so much better to convince people to use Skype on Windows. Maybe some sort of message like "Use Skype on Windows for full support and features"

If Microsoft "improves" Windows or not, that's irrelevant for me. In my case, I will rather use Mint, Debian, Fedora or any other Distro, than give a single chance to Windows.

I'm absolutely sure, positive, that although they will not kill Skype for Linux now, all future development would be eventually, abandoned.

What comes next then? They will change things in Skype communications protocols, or whatever they choose, to make things difficult, if not impossible, to Linux users...

Microsoft style...

fractalman
May 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Well why don't one of you guys write a new version of skype for all us linux people,

Elfy
May 10th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Looking at the first page before you make a thread - bad idea.

I'm too tired for having to think about things like this.

I'll merge them shortly ...

Merged.

jgratero
May 10th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Well why don't one of you guys write a new version of skype for all us linux people,

Skype is not open source... And now that the code is Mickeysoft hands, any chance of releasing it is less than zero...

beew
May 10th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I am looking into google voice and video chat. Skype in Linux will survive for a while until it gets so outdated that it will be unusable. Hopefully by then there will be replacements. If there is something popular for other non Linux users it will be fine if I don't have Skype, google seems to be a good candidate.

bouncingwilf
May 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM
One point that does not seem to have been touched on (or I missed it) is that Skype is end-to-end encrypted. Does anybody know about the alternatives such as Google talk?

Bouncingwilf

Spr0k3t
May 10th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Well, so long Skype... never used you but for a hot minute. I'm sure other alternatives are going to take off now that Microsoft owns Skype.

Speculation: are they going to kill off MSN-IM or merge the code?

Quadunit404
May 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
If that were the case, why would Apple have approved Skype into their store in the first place? It's been in there for a long time, and Steve Jobs even had Skype onstage once to demonstrate iOS 4 multitasking.

Because it predated Facetime, of course. If what I predicted becomes true, then I feel bad for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad users as then they'd only be able to communicate with people who use other Apple products.

unknownPoster
May 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
This thread is making me want to sip grape koolaid while wearing my tinfoil hat.

Absolutely none of you can back up these claims with anything other than FUD.

Dry Lips
May 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Skype being bought by Microsoft? Excellent! I hope they stop
supporting Linux instantly. In that way we would surely get a
reliable open-source, free, encrypted, p2p alternative in no time. ;)

Seriously I think we ought to look at this from the bright side,
an alternative will come! I must admit that I use Skype, but Skype
has rightfully received a lot of criticism...

A criticism of Skype from the Ubuntu community:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SkypeEthics

Skype security and privacy concerns:
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/357

Here is a project aimed at providing encryption for VoIP clients:
http://zfone.com/getstarted.html

Here is a multi-platform SIP client that supports encryption:
http://icanblink.com/features.phtml

PC_load_letter
May 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Call me crazy all you want but I just canceled all my transactions (subscriptions) that I had w/ Skype. After checking, Google's rates to call phones internationally is same or cheaper than Skype's. Google need to advertise more :D

Reason: I don't want my hard earned cash to support Microsoft in any shape or form, sorry.

Macskeeball
May 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Because it predated Facetime, of course.

Yes and no.

Skype for iOS did predate FaceTime, yes, but not in a form that competed with what FaceTime is today. There was no video. When FaceTime first time came out, Skype for iOS only supported text and audio chat. Eventually Skype added video to the iOS version in an update, and the key here is that Apple accepted that update. It's true that Apple's arbitrary and annoying appstore policies have changed in the past, so it could change its mind about Skype for iOS. I just don't think that's likely. Apple has also loosened/removed many past restrictions.

I am a Mac/Linux/Windows user and iPod touch owner, and have used Macs since 1996.

beew
May 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Skype being bought by Microsoft? Excellent! I hope they stop
supporting Linux instantly. In that way we would surely get a
reliable open-source, free, encrypted, p2p alternative in no time. ;)

Seriously I think we ought to look at this from the bright side,
an alternative will come! I must admit that I use Skype, but Skype
has rightfully received a lot of criticism...

A criticism of Skype from the Ubuntu community:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SkypeEthics

Skype security and privacy concerns:
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/357

There are of course alternatives for Linux as long as all your contacts use Linux. But many (all?) Linux users have contacts who are not Linux users and they use Skype and that is the problem. So no, it is no good if they drop support for Linux instantly.

Dry Lips
May 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM
There are of course alternatives for Linux as long as all your contacts use Linux. But many (all?) Linux users have contacts who are not Linux users and they use Skype and that is the problem. So no, it is no good if they drop support for Linux instantly.

Check out the last link of my post. Blink supports OSX, Windows, as well as Linux.

Still I wish there was a decent open source p2p alternative...

8jwong14
May 10th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Extremely silly poor spelling. I thought it was Microsoft.
Micro$oft is a joke name for Microsoft

uRock
May 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Micro$oft is a joke name for Microsoft

Does it make people laugh?

DZ*
May 10th, 2011, 10:26 PM
This thread is making me want to sip grape koolaid while wearing my tinfoil hat.

Absolutely none of you can back up these claims with anything other than FUD.

You mean Paul is not dead?

Rasa1111
May 10th, 2011, 10:42 PM

nah, but $$$$ is MS's main ?only? goal, So it just 'fits'.
Like peas do in a pod.

cgroza
May 10th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Not me...

SunnyRabbiera
May 10th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Google talk will become more popular now you can bet.

TeoBigusGeekus
May 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Google talk will become more popular now you can bet.

Any clue as to when it will be available outside the US?

foxy123
May 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM
You mean Paul is not dead?

:guitar:

foxy123
May 10th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Any clue as to when it will be available outside the US?

I think you confuse it with Google Voice, Google Talk is global.

TeoBigusGeekus
May 10th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I think you confuse it with Google Voice, Google Talk is global.

Oops, indeed I do.

Same question but for GVoice this time?

beew
May 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Check out the last link of my post. Blink supports OSX, Windows, as well as Linux.

Still I wish there was a decent open source p2p alternative...

Yeah I know, so does google talk but you have to convince your windows contact to switch.

donkyhotay
May 10th, 2011, 11:58 PM
It's official, microsoft purchased skype (https://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/may11/05-10CorpNewsPR.mspx). How long do you think the already shaky linux client for skype will last?

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
May 11th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Don't care, the protocol was proprietary any way. Good luck to MS with their new acquisition!

overdrank
May 11th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Threads merged :)

Rasa1111
May 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Don't care, the protocol was proprietary any way. +1

Though Im certainly glad I don't use skype.
If it worked well before. that'll probably be history from here on out. lol

I can't bring myself to wish them any kind of 'good luck' though.

sdc444
May 11th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Sometimes it seems like Microsoft goes out of its way to cripple Linux support (like the complex process to get Wine to work with Office). Still, if there is a functional Skype for Linux (and it is barely functions, trust me, I use it every day), I can't imagine them going out of their way to remove those versions. The thing that I am worried about is that they might change the codec that Skype uses to something that the current Linux Skype (2.2 beta) can't decode. That would cripple the current version for sure...

infestor
May 11th, 2011, 12:59 AM
although the linux client will be shifted to oblivion by time, i will use skype. most of the people i chat are on skype currently and majority of them use windows (and some mac os).
i have to use what my community uses. it was icq back then, then they shifted to msn, now they are on skype.
if i use other IMs, there is simply no point in that for me.

Quadunit404
May 11th, 2011, 01:04 AM

Not me. To me Micro$oft and Mickeysoft and Microshaft and all those other intentional typos of Microsoft are juvenile and show immaturity.

I'm 18 years old, probably younger than a lot of the people here, and I don't use those intentional typos.

murderslastcrow
May 11th, 2011, 03:06 AM
A lot of the reason Skype is so successful is its means of deployment. I think when people see their Linux using and Android using friends suddenly unable to use Skype, it will hurt business. So let's hope they pay some attention. There are many things Microsoft does which makes it difficult to see exactly how they feel and intend to act towards the open source community.

I think this might be a good chance for Microsoft to show they care and win a little confidence and trust from us after such a long battle. Of course, they've seemed to do these things and ended up making things worse in the past, so people will always be wary of Microsoft, no matter how pure their intentions may be.

I, for one, hope Microsoft will improve their software so that people don't have to be as embarrassed to support the company. If people use closed software/hardware, it should at least be high quality closed software.

Bandit
May 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM
all for reasons that have little or nothing to do with the eight people using skype on linux.
lmao!! :)

Dragonbite
May 11th, 2011, 03:55 AM

You mean like they don't already have features only available for their Windows clients (maybe Mac too, I didn't pay any attention to them)?

I'm not sure if the newest release has provided these missing features (it doesn't work on my systems I have tried); HD Quality video and group video calling. Somebody who has it working can update whether those are added or not.

Contrary to Microsoft trying to deal a blow to Google, I think Google is going to make out better with this deal.

wsonar
May 11th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Even if there was I would not support it

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I do not care who owns it. I do not use Skype now because it is a bad product, if Microsoft improves it and it becomes a good product then I may use it.

wsonar
May 11th, 2011, 05:00 AM
well, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, i thought my 'more seriously' comment made that point.

But yes, to a point, i would prefer not to spend any money with microsoft. I don't like their business practices and i think they have stifled competition. So no, i don't want to support them if i can avoid it.

As far as quality/price - that's why i was asking. If there is something as good or better, i will switch. I like choice.

-ntl2009

+1

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2011, 05:07 AM
This is a good move for those who use Skype as Microsoft's resources will be used I am certain to improve and expand the product.

beew
May 11th, 2011, 05:46 AM
This is a good move for those who use Skype as Microsoft's resources will be used I am certain to improve and expand the product.

You mean for those who use Skype on Windows?

gradinaruvasile
May 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Yes, for Windows. And maybe Mac (if). I dont think Linux will be on their list. Time to switch to google talk or some jabber account.

BTW Skype works perfectly well on all platforms - it is very stable, has very good sound quality. I dont like the bloated Windows version though.

Fedz
May 11th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I have Skype on 24/7 on the mobile as it's built in ... strangely Nokia chose Microsoft as it's future OS which now owns Skype which is pre-installed on most Nokia phones.

Skype on Ubuntu looks & operates fantastic no problems stability wise ... so all the knocking is just sour-grapes as far as I can see!

jwbrase
May 11th, 2011, 06:23 AM
From the computer to computer end of things it doesn't bug me, unless they start charging for that service.

From the computer -> phone end of things, the money I've already spent on Skype credit doesn't bother me: None of it ended up in Microsoft's pockets (indeed, Microsoft just shelled out a pretty penny for Skype). What bugs me is that we just ended up on a new phone service that's a bit more expensive than what we had, and I had just been noticing how much more competitive Skype's prices were. But now it turns out that a dollar to Skype is a dollar to Microsoft, and I don't like giving Microsoft money.

Grrrr...

Zero2Nine
May 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Skype .NET anyone connecting the dots? SkypeNet ... if that's not scary :P

doorknob60
May 11th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Weird coincidence? Starting a few days ago my Skype's sound is completely garbled and screwed up, was fine before that, and I didn't change anything. Maybe Microsoft already got a hold of it somehow and messed mine up? :P

Metallion
May 11th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Weird coincidence? Starting a few days ago my Skype's sound is completely garbled and screwed up, was fine before that, and I didn't change anything. Maybe Microsoft already got a hold of it somehow and messed mine up? :P

I think that's just Skype becoming self aware and realizing it must behave like a Microsoft product now.

Oxwivi
May 11th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Possibly. They only announced the acquisition on the said date, but the actual date of transaction is unknown to is.

Oxwivi
May 11th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I think that's just Skype becoming self aware and realizing it must behave like a Microsoft product now.
++

foxy123
May 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I do not care who owns it. I do not use Skype now because it is a bad product, if Microsoft improves it and it becomes a good product then I may use it.

Unfortunately, given the ubiquity of Skype it's a bit irrelevant whether it s a good or bad product. I have to use it as a lot of my friends/relatives use it and I have no means to make them switch to something better :(

zoubidoo
May 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM
The way around the problem is to reverse-engineer the Skype protocol. Then we can make our own Skype-compatible clients and keep our existing contacts.

There needs to be a bounty for reverse-engineering the skype protocol. I would certainly add a few bucks.

There are no legal issues because it is purely for inter-operability.

Can someone help set up a bounty?

Spice Weasel
May 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM
The way around the problem is to reverse-engineer the Skype protocol. Then we can make our own Skype-compatible clients and keep our existing contacts.

What problem?

zoubidoo
May 11th, 2011, 11:00 AM
What problem?

* Being at the mercy of whoever owns Skype
* Limited number of platforms
* walled gardens: no client can handle all protocols.

etc..

Spice Weasel
May 11th, 2011, 11:06 AM
* Being at the mercy of whoever owns Skype
* Limited number of platforms
* walled gardens: no client can handle all protocols.

etc..

Click here (http://www.ekiga.org/)

el_koraco
May 11th, 2011, 11:12 AM
What's all the fuss about? There's just no possible reason to drop Linux support. Not that Skype has been any good on Linux anyway.

zoubidoo
May 11th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Does Ekiga work with Skype contacts? Chat, voice, video? No.

Support reverse-engineering of the skype protocol and then Ekiga will be interesting to Skype users.

Johnsie
May 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM
How do you reverse engineer something that is highly encrypted? The best way for open source communications to be successful is for someone to create an open source commuications platform that people are willing to use. As yet there is nothing out there. Jabber never took off and standard voip is too tricky for most basic users to set up.

Grenage
May 11th, 2011, 11:30 AM
How hard can it be - I mean, how many VoIP options are there? The challenge is getting a substantial user base. It's all very well having a tiny stream with great quality, but of no use if only 1000 people are using it.

It's the same problem that so many projects have.

spegru
May 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM
MSFT will not kill Skype for linux. Why would they bother?
They may well stop development, but who cares? It already does everything I want - text voice and video. I don't even like the windows version - far too cluttered.

With all the other minority clients out there it would be far to hard to kill just the linux one - Skype: on PSP, on Nokia n810, on Skypephone, on Android and iphone & even some recent TVs I think. Some of those are really linux inside anyway. Seems to me skype is a protocol more than a client so it would be hard to stop.

Nevertheless I'd like an alternative (just in case). You can talk about others but the problem is everyone on Skype - so it needs to be compatible

The only ones I found so far are Fring (at least until Skype disconnected them) and Imo, although that only does text.
Give Imo a bash - it works through a simple web page! Website is imo.im and give access to loads of protcols - including skype

Spice Weasel
May 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Does Ekiga work with Skype contacts? Chat, voice, video? No.

Support reverse-engineering of the skype protocol and then Ekiga will be interesting to Skype users.

Skype is a terrible protocol. It's highly insecure and complicated by design.

Use the Skype Linux client if you really must have Skype, you should be thankful that they bothered even making a client for an operating system that 1% of people use.

If you want Skype reverse engineered actually do something to help the people trying instead of just complaining. It isn't exactly the easiest protocol to reverse engineer, they made sure of that.

Don't like it? There are alternatives. Make use of them.

zoubidoo
May 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Skype is a terrible protocol. It's highly insecure and complicated by design.

Use the Skype Linux client if you really must have Skype, you should be thankful that they bothered even making a client for an operating system that 1% of people use.

If you want Skype reverse engineered actually do something to help the people trying instead of just complaining. It isn't exactly the easiest protocol to reverse engineer, they made sure of that.

I am not complaining, I am encouraging the reverse engineering of skype protocol for interoperability.

Show us a simple path to transition from skype to ekiga. But you have to lose your contacts, right? Well that's simply not going to happen.

Interoperability with the Skype network is the single best thing that can happen to Ekiga or any other VOIP client.

Dry Lips
May 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Blogpost on OMG!Ubuntu:

Microsoft purchasing Skype – what could this mean for Linux?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/microsoft-close-to-buying-skype-what-would-this-mean-for-linux/

del_diablo
May 11th, 2011, 02:49 PM

VoIP?!
Who uses skype for VoIP? I got a cellphone for that, and considering how cheap cellphones is I frankly see no reason to use VoIP...
I use skype for the desktop sharing, and the fact it is a functional IM program on the top of that, and that there actually exists people I want to talk to that has skype.
Nevermind a sane password and user account scheme.

Blibk seems to be just another silly "Hey can do Voice of IP! Nevermind that I lack critical features such as desktop sharing!", so seems to be the case for a lot of other clients........
*ugh*

The problem about that statement is that there does not exists alternatives.
Unless you are only talking about VoIP or oversimplified IM services.
But if I am wrong, I want a link to prove me wrong.

Dry Lips
May 11th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Dude, you only quoted a part of my post! ;)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10797897&postcount=137
My point wasn't that much that there already are alternatives to Skype,
as to point out that there ought to be made a full blown free open-source,
p2p, multi-platform, alternative to Skype. And yes, features like you're
describing should be a part of such project. A reason why there ought to
be made such a program, is that most VoIP apps out there have weaknesses.
Encryption is for instance lacking in many VoIP projects, which ought to
be included in every VoIP application by default.

Top 14 VoIP vulnerabilities
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/100107-voip-top-vulnerabilities.html?page=1

Who uses skype for VoIP? I got a cellphone for that, and considering how cheap cellphones is I frankly see no reason to use VoIP...
A few reasons to use VoIP:
- keep in touch with people living in other countries
- talk to people who don't like/have cellphones
- keep the costs down. You're right that cellphones is cheaper than before,
but “cheap” is relative. Some people have constrained budgets.

Lars Noodén
May 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM
It's probably a reaction to the GNU Free Call (http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/) announcement.

Dry Lips
May 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM
It's probably a reaction to the GNU Free Call (http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/%22) announcement.

There's a typo in your link:
http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/

-------
edit:
there was a typo in your link ;)

RiceMonster
May 11th, 2011, 03:35 PM
It's probably a reaction to the GNU Free Call (http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/") announcement.

Somehow I doubt Microsoft cares about GNU.

ayllu
May 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I think persnoally taht the transistion ist not a big issue, because, if ekiga adds a functión like facebook, or others wich send an email to every contact in your mail account, you will get people moving to ekiga but its needs mobile apps, and other atractive issue, like apps to do collaborative work. we have potencial, so wee need to souport the develop of new alternatives.

I have cuestión

Some one know if an ubuntu compatible software that suport group video calligin?

Regards

Ayllu

le1
May 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM
... will they change it's name to $kype ? Are you going to type in terminal sudo apt-get purge skype or have you done that already ? Will my computer explode when I launch it ? Will Julian Assange post some news on this deal ? ... :)

Throne777
May 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM
... will they change it's name to $kype ? Are you going to type in terminal sudo apt-get purge skype or have you done that already ? Will my computer explode when I launch it ? Will Julian Assange post some news on this deal ? ... :)

It would have taken all of 2 seconds to realise there are already threads on this.

uRock
May 11th, 2011, 04:10 PM
... will they change it's name to $kype ?

Is this another joke we are supposed to laugh at?

sydbat
May 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Is this another joke we are supposed to laugh at?Oh you M$ $hill...or is it...Oh you ¢anonical ¢hill...:P

RiceMonster
May 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Oh you M$ $hill...or is it...Oh you ¢anonical ¢hill...:P

¢hill out dude

Retlol
May 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
If I have need for voip, I'll pick something secure, thank you, not Skype.

Loads of alternatives out there.

del_diablo
May 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Dry Lips:
1. Can still be done via cellphones, if not then...
2. MSN i likely have them on, or some other really ****** service, which again brings us back to a core point.
3. I guess it depends on the country, over here it is dirt cheap anyhow

So... lets say I learned how to code, and perhaps managed to convince 3 friends to code for me, what project would I join?
What projects are currently open for aquirering real functionality? If they are, why have they not started competing with Skype yet?

Gael33
May 11th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I heard/saw on the TV that Microsoft are going to acquire Skype.

Although that Skype have a Linux version, it is nowhere near the version in Windows in function and accessibility. My guess is that if and when the Mighty Gates Empire acquire Skype, any future Linux version will be put on the back burner indefinitely, or worse still, phased out completely.

Perhaps in the near future, an equivalent open, cross source based program will be developed and then Uncle Bill can shove his newly acquired Skype where the sun don't shine. In the meantime, my work and colleagues all use Skype ... which means I am forced to use Skype too. The very thought of having to use Microsoft Software (Skype) sticks in my throat.

ErikNJ
May 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
If that's of concern, there's this alternative: http://ekiga.org/

Macskeeball
May 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
It got pushed to the second page, but there's already a lengthy thread on this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754414

Quadunit404
May 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
inb4 this thread gets merged with the already existent one.

forrestcupp
May 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM

Can that connect with a Skype client? It's not hard for one person to switch, but it's probably impossible to get a whole international corporation to switch.

Gael33
May 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Can that connect with a Skype client? It's not hard for one person to switch, but it's probably impossible to get a whole international corporation to switch.

The short answer is no. Skype's propriety protocols are not shared with others. Ekiga is an alternative, but it must be used by both parties to complete the call/video link.

del_diablo
May 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM

1. It lacks a lot of features
2. It lacks a sane scheme for connecting to others via user names

It is not a alternative, it is a special tool for VoIP with a few sidebites. It does not replace skype, hence it is not good.

DZ*
May 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
1. [ekiga] lacks a lot of features 2. It lacks a sane scheme for connecting to others via user names

You click on a name (person's nick) to start a video chat. It sets you up with one when you start it for the first time. It's all the same as in skype. Not sure what features you're missing there. Perhaps the misterious "desktop sharing" :-)

Dry Lips
May 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Dry Lips:
1. Can still be done via cellphones, if not then...
2. MSN i likely have them on, or some other really ****** service, which again brings us back to a core point.
3. I guess it depends on the country, over here it is dirt cheap anyhow

So... lets say I learned how to code, and perhaps managed to convince 3 friends to code for me, what project would I join?
What projects are currently open for aquirering real functionality? If they are, why have they not started competing with Skype yet?

a) Even if international calls can be done through cellphones, you can save a lot of money by using for instance Skype. And the fact that Skype has “663 million registered users as of 2010” (according to wikipedia) proves that a lot of people use Skype for not only international calls, but national calls as well. If you prefer your cellphone that's okay with me. My cellphone company gave away calls and sms worth the eqivalent of 32$, which suited me fine, but from the 1. of June they'll unfortunately be charging a start-up fee for every call, so I'll probably use Skype (or another client) more in the future.
If there was a cell-phone provider that gave away unlimited free calls, I would probably not see the need for Skype. But this again, is the very reason why Microsoft pays $8.5 billion for Skype in the first place; they'll embed Skype in their phone OS, so people with access to a wireless network can save money by using Skype instead of their mobile phone operator. The reason why Microsoft bought Skype has little or nothing to do with desktop computers.

b) 10 years ago there was no decent free alternative to Microsoft Office, Photoshop, QuarkExpress, Illustrator, 3DStudio Max (and dare I say it, Windows itself) but today there are free and open-source alternatives to all these programs. The Linux community has grown, so I think if Skype for Linux receives no updates we would eventually see an alternative emerge.
I think the reason why there isn't a major Linux competitor to Skype is exactly because there already is an existing Skype client for Linux. If Photoshop, Microsoft Office, etc, was available on Linux platforms in the first place, I doubt that Gimp and OpenOffice would be as strong today. Perhaps they even wouldn't have existed?

_outlawed_
May 11th, 2011, 10:14 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/microsoft-will-invest-and-support-skype-on-linux/

svaens
May 11th, 2011, 10:20 PM
1. It lacks a lot of features
2. It lacks a sane scheme for connecting to others via user names

It is not a alternative, it is a special tool for VoIP with a few sidebites. It does not replace skype, hence it is not good.

and last time I tried it, it didn't even work.
Is it better now?

Honestly, I think empathy with google-voice is on its way to being more of an alternative for the Ubuntu desktop (but also not quite there yet).

On that topic, Does anyone know if google-voice conversations are encrypted? Secure? backdoored?

I think they (you know who they are) have a fair amount of trouble listening into skype conversations.... maybe not so google voice?

khelben1979
May 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I can see them stopping development, but I highly doubt they would waste time crippling older versions of the client.

I would. They would sue all websites which will be responsible for letting older versions be available for download if they would earn money in doing so, that's what I believe, and they will have the power to do exactly like that.

This also shows that Microsoft have problems with innovation, needing to buy Skype instead of making something themselves which would be better. I reckon they just want to have more trust with more people and this is a good strategy in the long run for them. if they will keep Skype successful in the long run, just as they are hoping for.

I myself really enjoy the Pidgin software and I would be more than pleased if that could replace my need for Skype for the coming future all together, and that it's GPL doesn't make things worse either, but it seems it's got a long way to go...

Macskeeball
May 11th, 2011, 10:26 PM
VoIP?!
One reason to use VoIP, in addition to the reasons given by Dry Lips, is that cell phones and POTS (landlines) have poor audio quality. A lot of podcasters use Skype for that reason. For instance, the TWiT (http://www.twit.tv/) network uses Skype all the time.

Spice Weasel
May 11th, 2011, 10:38 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/microsoft-will-invest-and-support-skype-on-linux/

Wow, reading the comments almost made my IQ drop a few points.

Seriously people, stop being so paranoid over Microsoft.

DZ*
May 11th, 2011, 10:55 PM
last time I tried [ekiga], it didn't even work. Is it better now?
Yes :-)
At least it doesn't crash anymore on video calls.

sostentado
May 12th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Linux developers will always make ways to sort of duplicate skype functions.

jdunn
May 12th, 2011, 01:12 AM
History has shown us what Microsoft's attitude is towards Linux. I'm waiting to see but I expect the linux client will be canceled or will no longer be updated.

I'm already looking at alternatives and the best I can see is Google Talk.

uRock
May 12th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Please stop with the OS bashing misspellings. It is against our Code of Conduct. They are not funny and they make our forums look childish.

beew
May 12th, 2011, 01:36 AM
History has shown us what Microsoft's attitude is towards Linux. I'm waiting to see but I expect the linux client will be canceled or will no longer be updated.

I'm already looking at alternatives and the best I can see is Google Talk.

Hey do you find video choppy in GT? I just tried that today, resolution seemed poor.

beew
May 12th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Please stop with the OS bashing misspellings. It is against our Code of Conduct. They are not funny and they make our forums look childish.

Now this is funny. I mean the notion of "OS bashing", where else on the internet do you find moderators policing forums for fear that members may offend an OS or a Company?

I don't find the misspellings "funny", but an accurate labeling nevertheless.

Quadunit404
May 12th, 2011, 02:56 AM

+∞

OS-and-company-bashing typos make you look immature. They really do.

RiceMonster
May 12th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Now this is funny. I mean the notion of "OS bashing", where else on the internet do you find moderators policing forums for fear that members may offend an OS or a Company?

I don't find the misspellings "funny", but an accurate labeling nevertheless.

If you're so bothered that you can't spell a company name without a dollar sign, you really need to sit down and think about your life.

YuiDaoren
May 12th, 2011, 03:17 AM
If you're so bothered that you can't spell a company name without a dollar sign, you really need to sit down and think about your life.
Similarly, if one can't let such a thing pass uncommented, one should also reconsider one's life. Really, it's all too minor to waste time on.

Can we get to the hand-wringing over the purchase of Skpe? That was really more interesting than MS bashing.

coffee412
May 12th, 2011, 03:38 AM
This is how I see it. Never listen to what they say but to what they do. So, Lets look at MICROSOFT (R) .

If Im not mistaken at one point MICROSOFT (R) changed the protocol and caused problems for samba. It was something like they reverted it back to another type. I dont remember totally but it does come to mind about happening. This broke samba until it was figured out. Well, The same will probably happen to skype. One day it will just not work right and its because they changed something. Perhaps it was when they moved from XP to VISTA.

I think some of that can be expected.

I dont care for MICROSOFT (R) personally. They have issues.

BigBananaMan
May 12th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I doubt Mac support would be affected; the user base is par more prominent than in Linux. That said, I can't see MS destroying Skype, they are ever walking on eggshells to avoid monopoly charges.

I can't help but wonder if Skype agreeing on a deep integration partnership with Facebook, Microsoft purchasing Skype at a clear and massive loss, Microsoft making a deal to force Bing onto Blackberry, Microsoft purchasing a lot of companies which develop Linux software, Microsoft attempting to (and failing) purchase 22 Linux software patents, and the expiration of the Microsoft antitrust settlement all at practically the same time have anything in common.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-antitrust-settlement-ends-thursday-2011-05-11:shock:
I seem to recall, Internet Explorer was purchased (practically bankrupting Spyglass, the company that made IE in the process) solely to use as a weapon against Netscape and freedom of choice. I believe they also used Outlook Express to block competitors emails until a lawsuit came about.
Nah, I think Microsoft will greatly deviate from their predictable set pattern of business they've been following since day 1, no?

“This anti-trust thing will blow over. We haven’t changed our business practices at all.”
— Bill Gates, Microsoft founder and then-CEO (1995)

del_diablo
May 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
You click on a name (person's nick) to start a video chat. It sets you up with one when you start it for the first time. It's all the same as in skype. Not sure what features you're missing there. Perhaps the misterious "desktop sharing" :-)

Not that part, the part on how to add users.
You need some special SIP phone number or something, and that can be really nasty to even remember.
Half the good part of skype is that "add this X to skype, and you got me", without any lockups.
The same applies to MSN, hotmail adresses are cumbersome and long, you can't really add people in a practical way. At the least the hotmail consists of words, which makes it easier.
For google its google accounts, which is also equally bad.

One reason to use VoIP, in addition to the reasons given by Dry Lips, is that cell phones and POTS (landlines) have poor audio quality.

Do not assume the situation is univseral, because it is not.
And since it is not universal, I could care less, because the point is not valid.

and last time I tried it, it didn't even work.
Is it better now?

Poor you, for it worked for me.

b) 10 years ago there was no decent free alternative to Microsoft Office, Photoshop, QuarkExpress, Illustrator, 3DStudio Max (and dare I say it, Windows itself) but today there are free and open-source alternatives to all these programs. The Linux community has grown, so I think if Skype for Linux receives no updates we would eventually see an alternative emerge.
I think the reason why there isn't a major Linux competitor to Skype is exactly because there already is an existing Skype client for Linux. If Photoshop, Microsoft Office, etc, was available on Linux platforms in the first place, I doubt that Gimp and OpenOffice would be as strong today. Perhaps they even wouldn't have existed?

I do not under any circumstances like idealistic arguments.
For me what matters is simple: "Can I have what I want, now?"
I do not care for development for alternatives, unless it is done properly over night.
If you don't belive my, look at the Radeon drivers. 2-3 years of development and still not properly up to par(except for the 1xxx series, which is starting to look good). We do not want a project that is "sort of works" or "still in early Alpha but it could get better", we need someone to write a application and get it properly done.
Take a look at Blender, a properly working 3D application. That is how you do it. If you are not doing it properly, then there is no reason to do it at all.
If something is not there yet, something is not there yet, and it is that simple.
Ignoring that issue, we also have the issues of completed projects not doing their fair share of markeding either, which is sort of bad.

And considering that what caused the development of GIMP in the first place was ideology, and not real reasons, I doubt it would have changed.
GIMP is OK; but internally they are still fighting GEGL and attempting to get around bugs in their toolkit.

sdowney717
May 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Skype on Ubuntu looks & operates fantastic no problems stability wise ... so all the knocking is just sour-grapes as far as I can see!

yes well MS could throw a soft switch and block all linux clients.
And then claim that with the new features they are building into skype for windows, the linux client wont work properly.

Linux and MS just do not get along and this goes way back.
Balmer said Linux is not fair competition as it is freely given away and free is not inline with American business traditions of profit as a business philosophy.

You know that cloud computing is changing everything so perhaps MS will keep Linux going and sell builtin adds along with the skype experience.

Dragonbite
May 12th, 2011, 02:22 PM

There needs to be a bounty for reverse-engineering the skype protocol. I would certainly add a few bucks.

There are no legal issues because it is purely for inter-operability.

Can someone help set up a bounty?

Could also see how far they've gotten with their own open source version of a Linux client

http://blogs.skype.com/linux/2009/11/skype_open_source.html
Yes, there's an open source version of Linux client being developed. This will be a part of larger offering, but we can't tell you much more about that right now. Having an open source UI will help us get adopted in the "multicultural" land of Linux distributions, as well as on other platforms and will speed up further development. We will update you once more details are available.
Or the last 3 posts in this page ( http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=70936) sounds encouraging.

If there is anything available, it needs to be grabbed now, before Microsoft can "close the door". That is, "IF" anything is available.

Quadunit404
May 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
yes well MS could throw a soft switch and block all linux clients.

I'd say the jury's late on that one.

Microsoft has made it clear that they will continue to invest in and support Skype for non-Microsoft platforms, which includes Linux. Flipping the kill switch for Skype on all non-Microsoft platforms will lead to another anti-trust suit, which I am sure Microsoft wants to avoid. Therefore, the only logical thing to do is to continue supporting everything they don't own or else either the EU or US will drop the anti-trust bomb on them. How many times do we have to say this.

I swear, reading this thread made me lose a few brain cells.

zoubidoo
May 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Microsoft has made it clear that they will continue to invest in and support Skype for non-Microsoft platforms, which includes Linux. Flipping the kill switch for Skype on all non-Microsoft platforms will lead to another anti-trust suit, which I am sure Microsoft wants to avoid. Therefore, the only logical thing to do is to continue supporting everything they don't own or else either the EU or US will drop the anti-trust bomb on them. How many times do we have to say this.

What if Skype for linux is not commercially viable? Is it reasonable to expect MS (or any company) to support something at a loss?

I don't share your confidence Quadunit...

RiceMonster
May 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
What if Skype for linux is not commercially viable? Is it reasonable to expect MS (or any company) to support something at a loss?

I don't share your confidence Quadunit...

No, you're right. I don't see Microsoft blocking the Linux client, or anything like that, but they may decide in the future that it doesn't make sense financially for them to support the Linux client. Though at the moment, you really can't claim that they're going to be doing that.

DZ*
May 12th, 2011, 03:29 PM
You need some special SIP phone number or something, and that can be really nasty to even remember.

The SIP looks like this: MyNick@ekiga.net. Is that really difficult? Ekiga stores your nick as well as the password and the list of contacts. It shows who is online in much the same way as skype does.

donkyhotay
May 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM
No, you're right. I don't see Microsoft blocking the Linux client, or anything like that, but they may decide in the future that it doesn't make sense financially for them to support the Linux client. Though at the moment, you really can't claim that they're going to be doing that.

+1, the linux client has gotten very little love from skype as it is. I figure they won't officially discontinue it but that eventually there will be an update/change to the protocol that is incompatible with current versions and just not bother updating the linux client.

Dragonbite
May 12th, 2011, 04:25 PM

Did they specifically state "Linux"? The reason why I ask is because they throw around "cross-platform" which to them means Windows and OS X.

Microsoft would not run a "kill switch" for non-Microsoft products. It isn't already out there and provides them no benefit (but plenty of PR headaches).

Instead they would just stop doing any development on the Linux client. That way they can say "hey, we're not abusing our monopoly position, we support non-Microsoft platforms", and they could (grudgingly) keep the OS X version more up-to-date if they want.

Although Microsoft has been like a multi-headed hydra that doesn't talk to itself... one head lashes out at Linux while another one supports it.

So in other words, they *could* surprise us, or not. We won't know until they fully start implementing their plan why they are buying Skype in the first place.

Best case scenario: they publish the protocol APIs, and leave it to the open source community to make the client.

dgray_from_dc
May 12th, 2011, 04:30 PM
You know that cloud computing is changing everything so perhaps MS will keep Linux going and sell builtin adds along with the skype experience.

This is Google's business model with the Android platform, it could work.

I personaly don't profess to make use of any VoIP client very much and don't care about anything other than voice, video, and text.

I do however use Skype to talk to Windows users, Linux users, and Android users. As far as I'm aware, there's just nothing else out there that can do that.

If (and/or when) Skype for Linux dies, I just hope there's a multi-platform alternative (PC and mobile) to take its place.

beew
May 12th, 2011, 06:21 PM
The SIP looks like this: MyNick@ekiga.net. Is that really difficult? Ekiga stores your nick as well as the password and the list of contacts. It shows who is online in much the same way as skype does.

Ekiga is not cross platform though. It doesn't support Mac. My boss has a Mac book and he is one person I Skype with most.

P.S. Someone mentioned bllink, but from their website it doesn't even have video call, so atm this can't be an alternative.

DZ*
May 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Ekiga is not cross platform though. It doesn't support Mac. My boss has a Mac book and he is one person I Skype with most.

but it can communicate with some Mac softphones (http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Which_programs_work_with_Ekiga_%3F#Mac_OS)

Copper Bezel
May 12th, 2011, 07:03 PM
And since it is not universal, I could care less, because the point is not valid.
Well, that's good to know, that all the conversations I have on VoIP where I don't have to repeat myself or ask the other person to do the same never happened. I guess having a cheap mobile and no landline makes me a statistical anomaly - but so does using desktop Linux. = P

del_diablo
May 12th, 2011, 07:05 PM

The same does emenese.
If Ekiga got rid of everything after MyNick, it would be useful.
Before that point it is ludricrus.

Copper Bezel
May 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
SIP is SIP, and it's no different from an e-mail address. You need the domain to distinguish where that particular username was registered, with what provider. Skype usernames don't have a domain because Skype effectively only works with one domain.

zoubidoo
May 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
http://cryptolib.com/ciphers/skype contains the greatest secret of Skype communication protocol, the obfuscated Skype RC4 key expansion algorithm in plain portable C.

from http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/cn4gn/skypes_obfuscated_rc4_algorithm_was_leaked_so_its/?sort=hot

From the comments:
The point is that now someone can write skype support into open source clients. I also trust the crypto a hell of a lot more now that I know it's RC4 rather than some totally custom "stevecrypt" algorithm or something.

Copper Bezel
May 12th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Ordinary grammar can't contain my reaction to this.

Wow what really?

jonathonblake
May 12th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Ekiga is not cross platform though.

That is probably the biggest data point that gets ignored, when people state that there are alternatives to Skype.

I'll grant that there are VoIP clients for most platforms. However, that fails to ignore compatibility between clients. They might be based on open standards, but can implement things slightly differently. or have slightly different bugs. Or any one of a myriad other things that means that they aren't compatible with each other.

jonathon

Macskeeball
May 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM

It is, due to the technical standards. IIRC, POTS is 8KHz mono. Cell phone codecs are worse still. Skype, on the other hand, supports up to 24KHz stereo.

Clearly you haven't listened to many podcasts. VoIP can sound like everyone is in the same room, especially when used with quality microphones. Anytime podcast hosts call in via a telephone (landline or cell), the quality is noticeably worse than the other participants. This isn't specific to podcasts, but I listen to a lot of podcasts so that's how I hear VOIP calls most often.

Also, the phrase is "couldn't care less" not "could care less."

beew
May 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
from http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/cn4gn/skypes_obfuscated_rc4_algorithm_was_leaked_so_its/?sort=hot

From the comments:

Reversed engineering is not really a viable long term solution as you are constantly playing catch up instead of creating new features. Also MS can change the protocol if it decides that the competitors are catching on, just look at what it does with Office formats. If people with skill are spending their time reverse engineering it would be better for them to put their time and resources in creating something better.

I read that the acquisition still needs clearance by the regulators and this is expected to come by the end of the year. So we are safe til at least then. Meantime I hope there will be some invigorated developmental activities by others, may be Google? Skype has been working really well on my ubuntu machines, too bad.

Maheriano
May 12th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Did we determine if they were going to continue Linux support?

Macskeeball
May 12th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Did we determine if they were going to continue Linux support?

Time will tell. The press release says they will continue to support non-Microsoft platforms, but whether or not Linux is one of those platforms remains to be seen. The best predictor of that would be Microsoft's track record with open-source and competing platforms in general.

To clarify the post in which I started this thread, when I wrote "killing Skype for Linux" I wasn't talking about them actively blocking it. I was talking about them ceasing development and eventually improving the other Skype clients in a way that has the side effect of breaking compatibility with the outdated Linux version.

ayllu
May 12th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Some one try to do group video call in skype in ubuntu; well is imposible, why, because they dosnt give us the latests releases. Ok, for linux is the version 2.2 BETA well; now microsoft has skype, if we hadn't expectations to get a new version, now is only a dream.

We have to difference voip calls, and skype p2p calls; cause, for voip calls are others companies more cheaper than skype, and for us, that make an international call is expensive in owr country works, almost well. But the p2p is the important issue, because they made de facilities to do video conference almost for free; so in that case are alternatives in linux, but they need development, for example for education, have possibilities to do collaborative work in a group video call.

Is time to purge skype and start to moving forward to other software.

Copper Bezel
May 12th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I have to say that I actually did finally can my Skype account after this, because I simply don't use Microsoft products, but I was already using Google Voice anyway, so it's not as if I was actually using the $3 per month I was sending their way. (For, again, a service Google includes gratis.)