PDA

View Full Version : gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

cbowman57
June 8th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Ok, so my iso is not corrupted. Maybe I don't understand the instructions correctly. Here's what I'm doing:

install .iso onto a USB using 'startup disk creator'
Boot USB.

It then hangs at the 'blue stripped' login screen, but I only get the screen, no login info, text entry box, etc. Only a blue screen.

That's odd. Try creating the usb stick with UNetbootin & see if it does the same thing?

Also, if you try again with startup disk creator don't create a persistence file, select the option where it saves nothing.

aeronutt
June 8th, 2011, 11:38 PM
That's odd. Try creating the usb stick with UNetbootin & see if it does the same thing?

Also, if you try again with startup disk creator don't create a persistence file, select the option where it saves nothing.

Yea, I've tried: 2 different USB sticks, 2 different USB ports, and tried both with and without persistence. But....now I'll try unetbootin! Will report back soon. :)

cbowman57
June 8th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Yea, I've tried: 2 different USB sticks, 2 different USB ports, and tried both with and without persistence. But....now I'll try unetbootin! Will report back soon. :)

What video card do you use aeronutt? Might need to try some of the boot options.

aeronutt
June 9th, 2011, 12:54 AM
What video card do you use aeronutt? Might need to try some of the boot options.

You're good...:)

I've had many problems loading/running 11.04 due to my dual graphics card, one being an ATI/AMD. So, here's how I got v2 loaded:

Using unetbootin, booting from USB, selecting 'try ubuntu', and (by hitting Tab key) editing the boot command and adding "radeon.modeset=0" to the end of the boot line, I successfully booted v2, then installed.

Have now gone through the installation steps, and am getting the 'something failed, log out' screen when I log in. But from what I've read, that's simply a conflict with some of the extensions. I can work through that.

Bottom line, I'm pretty sure I'm good to go now.

Thanks for the great ideas and help!!!!!

cbowman57
June 9th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I think 23dornot23d discovered that fix when he was working around the 64-bit Natty Gnome login problems. Glad it appears to be working now.

The installation I'm currently using was a fresh v2 install just a few days ago. I'm pretty pleased with it but IF I do a v3 it will probably be sans extensions & themes.

23dornot23d
June 9th, 2011, 01:20 AM
The installation I'm currently using was a fresh v2 install just a few days ago. I'm pretty pleased with it but IF I do a v3 it will probably be sans extensions & themes.
Its good to include the extensions ..... maybe compressed ..... or .....

We really need a small script that unpacks them in stages ... and another to remove them
if they do not work as we expect them to ......

it should be easy enough to remove them from here as normal user privileges can do that.
or we could advise which seem to have more chance and put a list giving an order
to the more like ly to work

home/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/

I always start with 2 ..... that are sound ....
( not really had any problems with these 2 lately )

Themeselector
Userthemes

( next should maybe be ...... what others on here get working everytime )

Workspace switcher
Move Date/Clock

etc .....

The weather one I would put last as these are always difficult to set up and get working properly.

Just initial thoughts after seeing what you wrote ......

cbowman57
June 9th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Its good to include the extensions ..... maybe compressed ..... or .....

We really need a small script that unpacks them in stages ... and another to remove them
if they do not work as we expect them to ......

it should be easy enough to remove them from here as normal user privileges can do that.
or we could advise which seem to have more chance and put a list giving an order
to the more like ly to work

home/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/

I always start with 2 ..... that are sound ....
( not really had any problems with these 2 lately )

Themeselector
Userthemes

( next should maybe be ...... what others on here get working everytime )

Workspace switcher
Move Date/Clock

etc .....

Just initial thoughts after seeing what you wrote ......

Yeah, a script or launcher would be the preferred method. Maybe a script that moves them from /usr/local to ~/.themes & ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions . I might play with that when I have some patience.

23dornot23d
June 9th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Yeah, a script or launcher would be the preferred method. Maybe a script that moves them from /usr/local to ~/.themes & ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions .

I might play with that when I have some patience.
Wish I could help here but my script writing is basic to say the least ..... just a list of
commands one after the other is all I have really done before for resizing and moving photos maybe if
I dig that one out it will be suitable or similar to what we need here.

As its just picking the filenames we already know and moving them somewhere else.

move /usr/local/themes/(filename) ~/.themes/(filename)

move /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/(filename) ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/(filename)

If this is what the problem is the extensions and themes being in two places and its
then causing confusion ...... who knows ....

I just know that looking glass does not like it if there are 2 ..... as it flags the error
already loaded ..... but I would not expect this to crash it ....

It should just ignore the second instance of it in the program ......

cbowman57
June 9th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Yeah, it reports but haven't had it crash here because of double loading.

23dornot23d
June 9th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Some proper error reports are needed out of it so we know where to look to see
why it does crash. Will have a search around on the Net .... there as to be more
information on the errors reported for Gnome Shell (http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=errors+reported+for+Gnome+Shell&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) .....

Not finding what I want on tracking the errors down

sanderd17
June 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Ok, so my iso is not corrupted. Maybe I don't understand the instructions correctly. Here's what I'm doing:

install .iso onto a USB using 'startup disk creator'
Boot USB.

It then hangs at the 'blue stripped' login screen, but I only get the screen, no login info, text entry box, etc. Only a blue screen.

I also got this the first time i booted. It was solved by pressing a key at the first purple screen, so you get in a menu where you can select "try Ubuntu".

bulldog
June 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I also got this the first time i booted. It was solved by pressing a key at the first purple screen, so you get in a menu where you can select "try Ubuntu".

I have the V2 on a USB stick.
I booted it with the default option and no errors where been seen.
It's running almost for a week now,and all updates are applied [not the ricotz]and no problems here.
The language selector works,installed the Dutch language and all seems to be working.
Have to warn however,DON'T USE THE CHINESE LANGUAGE,you have a lot of troubles to get rid of it,my GDM login is partially chinese at this time.
But that's the only thing.

About the extensions,my opinion isn't changed a bit.
Keep a separate gnatty-pack with all the themes and extensions you like,and keep it separate from the actual ISO.
A install script would be nice,but if there's no script the install of any theme or extension,except the weather extension,isn't that hard to do.
It gives the new user some insight in how things work.

We can provide help and advice, if necessary, on the forum.

But the V2 is a good release and should please most of the users.
No need for a V3,or it should be the one without extensions and themes pre-installed.

PS,Were did you guys get the remastersys program from?
All I can find are obsolete ppa's but not the actual program.

cbowman57
June 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
@bulldog; if I go ahead with a v3, I think I will just locate an archive of both themes & extensions and place them in /usr/local/gnatty/themes & extensions. Like you said, there is a learning process involved with installing the themes & extensions manually. But that way they will be included in the iso but won't interfere with normal login, and some people may prefer the generic appearance & functionality while they learn the shell.

Oh, glad you tried out some of the language options but I was most curious about the installation. I actually (at least it was supposed to) included instalation language support for German, French, English, Spanish & Russian. I just wondered how that worked, if it worked at all or was just a waste of space on the iso. :)

bulldog
June 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM
@bulldog; if I go ahead with a v3, I think I will just locate an archive of both themes & extensions and place them in /usr/local/gnatty/themes & extensions. Like you said, there is a learning process involved with installing the themes & extensions manually. But that way they will be included in the iso but won't interfere with normal login, and some people may prefer the generic appearance & functionality while they learn the shell.

Oh, glad you tried out some of the language options but I was most curious about the installation. I actually (at least it was supposed to) included instalation language support for German, French, English, Spanish & Russian. I just wondered how that worked, if it worked at all or was just a waste of space on the iso. :)

Think you missed it,:D

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10904668&postcount=930

sanderd17
June 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
The language selector works,installed the Dutch language and all seems to be working.
Have to warn however,DON'T USE THE CHINESE LANGUAGE,you have a lot of troubles to get rid of it,my GDM login is partially chinese at this time.
But that's the only thing.

The language selector works, but there seems to be two language settings. In the installer, I chose Dutch and it never looked weird to me, but the gnome-shell interface was in English and most programs were in English. Only Ubuntu specific programs (like the updater and the software center) were in Dutch. Maybe some other programs that I didn't found.

There also seems to be two tools to select the language. The tool I got from typing "lang" in the gnome-shell search did not switch it to Dutch (so that's the tool that uses the same setting as the installer I suppose) but the tool from the gnome-shell system setting did change everything to Dutch (after re-login).

EDIT: sorry, I was wrong, the tools seem to work both, but selecting Dutch from the installer does not work.

cbowman57
June 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I sure did. :) Ok, the Dutch & Chinese had nothing to do with what I added then, it was all Ubuntu on those two, for better or worse.

Since English seems to be the de facto standard for installations I don't even know what to expect if I tried one of the others. I just tried to include support, using UCK, for a couple of the most common languages.

Ok, thanks for the additional info sanderd17.

Makes sense, Dutch wasn't included, Deutsch was. :)

Would be nice if the language selector for installation didn't display languages that aren't installed. :(

bulldog
June 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I sure did. :) Ok, the Dutch & Chinese had nothing to do with what I added then, it was all Ubuntu on those two, for better or worse.

Since English seems to be the de facto standard for installations I don't even know what to expect if I tried one of the others. I just tried to include support, using UCK, for a couple of the most common languages.

Ok, thanks for the additional info sanderd17.

Makes sense, Dutch wasn't included, Deutsch was. :)

Would be nice if the language selector for installation didn't display languages that aren't installed. :(

Maybe I have to clarify on this.
I couldn't get the x64 V1 to change the language,I could install Dutch or what ever,it wasn't displayed anywhere,so I couldn't change the language,and I cannot even now.

Back to the i686 V2.
Because it wouldn't work on the x64,I decided to install Dutch in the i686 V2,and it worked,I could choose it in the language selector,and after logout and in again,the system was Dutch.
French did work the same,and after that,I don't know if I had a black out or what,I choosed chinese,and oh boy I regretted it soon.
The whole desktop was unreadable,the ususal entry's for logout,suspend and so on,where switched around and in chinese,so logout rebooted the machine and I still had a chinese desktop.
Finally I managed to change the language back to english and rebooted the machine,but parts are still chinese.
I removed the chinese language from synatic and that helped a bit.

After this adventure I was ready to believe all languages would work,and wasn't in the mood to try it again.

But I did all this AFTER the install,NOT trying to choose another language prior to the install.

bulldog
June 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I did remove the french language after testing and the chinese of course :D but the languages displayed are functional,maybe you have to download some additional packages.

cbowman57
June 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I like to use bleachbit to clean out all the localizations I don't use. Recovers about 400-600mbs

cecilpierce
June 9th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Installed v2, had blue striped screen and mouse pointer only, reboot ro single and moved all the extensions from /usr/share/...got the gnome screen but when I click on anything in the top nuttin happens till I move the mouse to the next icon.
I cant even log out or shut down.
Ubuntu wored fine and classic worked with no effects, didnt try ubuntu 2d no effects.
I did get the ls icon and it opens the window but cant open the top menu, like it frozen.
Got any hints or like in the ole window days FORMAT C: :p

23dornot23d
June 9th, 2011, 10:31 PM
when I click on anything in the top nuttin happens till I move the mouse to the next icon.
I cant even log out or shut down.
Interesting you should say this - I found similar too ..... sliding the mouse across to the left
while trying to click to shut down in the top right would reveal a menu .....

But actually doing it as you should and hovering over it or clicking it did nothing at all .....

Also the logout problem .... too ...... (could not logout or shutdown the proper way .... but I put that down to using LightDM )

What I did with all my systems now is go back to gnome2.32 and its not as drastic as you think ....
and with mine no more blue smiley faces and I can quite happily go from Unity to Gnome Shell and back again .....
but only do this with machines that have over 1 gig of memory .....

(It will work on less memory as I found out - but its extremely slow to swap from one to the other .....)

sudo aptitude install gnome3-session
(this is actually Gnome 2.32.1)

I no longer have the blue face and error popping up

Worked for me ..... but do not accept the first choice it gives you ..... it will try to work out dependencies ..... answer no to the first one ......
(if you know what I mean ..... select the one that does nothing other than remove the fallback option)
if the dependencies are more for you just use q at any point to exit ..... no harm done ....

Its worth a try ..... what do you have to loose if its a clean install ....... ;)

and if you want to get back to Gnome3 again .....

sudo aptitude install gnome-session
(this is actually Gnome 3.0)

cbowman57
June 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Sounds like that video driver bug is rearing it's ugly head. Haven't had problems like that in quite a few weeks, wish I could remember exactly what I did to cure that. Removed unnecessary driver maybe?

And of course there is always that clean install to make it all better. :)

bulldog
June 9th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry you seem to have trouble with the V2.
Mine is working perfect as far as I can see.
The install was trouble free and I could log in the fallback mode,and I compressed the /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions folder and removed all but the tar.gz.
Then I setup the rights on the themes,but left them in the usr/share/themes folder.
Then I logged in to unity to see if it worked and it did,but the theme didn't look right to me,but who cares,it worked.
Than I would log in to the gnome-shell and this was a bit wrong,because the system seems to freeze and I needed a terminal to reboot.
After the reboot I could log in to the gnome-shell,decompressed the tar.gz,did some copy paste work from a previous install to get the themes working,this failed.
A lot of extensions did work though,I didn't checked them all,but the top bar was loaded with them.
I copy them to the ~/.local/share/gnome-shell extension folder,but had no themes in the themes tab.
Because I had a theme-tab but no themes show up,I removed all the themes which I had copy paste from a previous install,removed the theme extension and the user theme extension and refreshed them with a new one.
Extracted new themes in the .themes folder and voila,everything worked.

The system has only frozen once in the gnome-shell,don't know why,but I was copying something from a website and would paste it into gedit,and the system froze.
Nothing worked and I used reisub to reboot.

The only tricky thing is to get from unity into gnome-shell most of the time the system hangs and a reboot is necessary.

I have disabled most of the extensions,because I don't like them,I use only:
1. Theme-selector
2. User theme extension
3. gNatty menu
4. looking glass near the menu
5. Places menu
6. system monitor
7. Alternate system menu

That's all and it's running fine in gnome-shell,which is the only thing I use.

This is a desktop computer Intel Core Duo 3ghz,4GB RAM,nVidia 9800GTX+ and a Gygabite motherboard,so nothing unusual about it.

23dornot23d
June 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
There is always the hard way too ..... or long way ..... build it yourself ....

If you want to build Gnome-Shell from scratch make sure you read everything below too .....

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#building

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/RemovingLaFiles

I do like trying things out .... and I do like to see whats new ..... but it takes a lot of time
doing it this way and can cause you all sorts of headaches ......

But you will learn a lot along the way .......

Always options with Linux .... ;)

bmbaker
June 10th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm sorry you seem to have trouble with the V2.
Mine is working perfect as far as I can see.
The install was trouble free and I could log in the fallback mode,and I compressed the /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions folder and removed all but the tar.gz.
Then I setup the rights on the themes,but left them in the usr/share/themes folder.
Then I logged in to unity to see if it worked and it did,but the theme didn't look right to me,but who cares,it worked.
Than I would log in to the gnome-shell and this was a bit wrong,because the system seems to freeze and I needed a terminal to reboot.
After the reboot I could log in to the gnome-shell,decompressed the tar.gz,did some copy paste work from a previous install to get the themes working,this failed.
A lot of extensions did work though,I didn't checked them all,but the top bar was loaded with them.
I copy them to the ~/.local/share/gnome-shell extension folder,but had no themes in the themes tab.
Because I had a theme-tab but no themes show up,I removed all the themes which I had copy paste from a previous install,removed the theme extension and the user theme extension and refreshed them with a new one.
Extracted new themes in the .themes folder and voila,everything worked.

The system has only frozen once in the gnome-shell,don't know why,but I was copying something from a website and would paste it into gedit,and the system froze.
Nothing worked and I used reisub to reboot.

The only tricky thing is to get from unity into gnome-shell most of the time the system hangs and a reboot is necessary.

I have disabled most of the extensions,because I don't like them,I use only:
1. Theme-selector
2. User theme extension
3. gNatty menu
4. looking glass near the menu
5. Places menu
6. system monitor
7. Alternate system menu

That's all and it's running fine in gnome-shell,which is the only thing I use.

This is a desktop computer Intel Core Duo 3ghz,4GB RAM,nVidia 9800GTX+ and a Gygabite motherboard,so nothing unusual about it.

your finding it hangs going from unity to the shell, which is what i was having too!
because of all the updates and upgrades recently i was finding my shell experience was getting quite unstable, so i bit the bullet and did a fresh install of everything did a full upgrade with both ppa's enabled and voila! now it rocks, no more crashes when changing exentions on or off and our nice little oops message is on vacation :-) :-)
moving from gnome-shell to unity is fast and back again there seems to be the same :-)

bulldog
June 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hi bmbaker,

Well my install isn't unstable at all :p I can use extensions,but I'm not going to,I have what I want now and it's working as supposed.
Switching into unity and back to the shell isn't of much importance to me,because I have no intention to use unity at all.
Was just testing if it would show up,and it did.

Do you use the V2 version too?

23dornot23d
June 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM
bmbaker (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1088611)
because of all the updates and upgrades recently i was finding my shell experience was getting quite unstable, so i bit the bullet and did a fresh install of everything did a full upgrade with both ppa's enabled and voila! now it rocks, no more crashes when changing exentions on or off and our nice little oops message is on vacation :smile: :smile:
moving from gnome-shell to unity is fast and back again there seems to be the same :smile:
Almost the same as me except on my main system (and no way is that getting a clean install too much to redo)

BUT..... now everything is fine ..... I can do my 3D work again on it .....

Without worrying about any crash ...... or blue sad face .... :D

I used the (v2) or was it the v1 for my test versions though ( v1 was actually easier to install for me )
For someone doing the initial install too ..... its the quickest way to get a fully functioning GNOME-SHELL .... IMHO
Use the ISO ......

Then you can do what you want afterwards ... (extensions - no extensions). ;)

sanderd17
June 10th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I just tried to launch gbainy, but it seems to be in /usr/games which is not in the PATH.

Where can I set the global path? I think the .bashrc file is only run when you launch a terminal app, or is that wrong?

I know I could edit the desktop file, but adapting the PATH is the best solution.

cbowman57
June 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Should be able to sudo gedit /etc/environment & add /usr/games

I just launched gbrainy using alt+f2, did you make a typo?

23dornot23d
June 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM
There wa a bug report on this and the solutions tried ...... BUG REPORT (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ugr-meta/+bug/778900)

cbowman57
June 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Ahh, it's related to the gdm, and apparently changing it in /etc/environment isn't parsed properly. Since I run gdm 2.32 I'm not affected. (Plus I retain my ability to autologin)

Another good argument to force a downgrade & pin the earlier version.

sanderd17
June 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM
There wa a bug report on this and the solutions tried ...... BUG REPORT (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ugr-meta/+bug/778900)

It was indeed already in /etc/environment, but editing the .profile file worked. Thanks for the bug report link.

23dornot23d
June 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Your welcome ..... and as with Chuck ....
I too dropped back to 2.32 ....

The gbrainy would launch if you dropped back into the background screen by putting the mouse up top left .....
and selecting gbrainy from the applications in there ...... but with new gdm I could not do it from

Alt+f2 either it just says no command.

sanderd17
June 10th, 2011, 07:24 PM
The gbrainy would launch if you dropped back into the background screen by putting the mouse up top left .....
and selecting gbrainy from the applications in there ...... but with new gdm I could not do it from

No, that didn't work either. I always use the super button, than type the name of the app and then enter. I don't use ALT+F2 anymore since Gnome-shell.

It complained something like "daughter process could not be started" probably meaning it was not found. The terminal gave me the clue that my path didn't contain /usr/games.

23dornot23d
June 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Yep see what you mean

keith@keith-MS-7181:~$ gbrainy
Command 'gbrainy' is available in '/usr/games/gbrainy'
The command could not be located because '/usr/games' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
gbrainy: command not found
keith@keith-MS-7181:~$

What did you change in here to make it work ok (please) ?
(but editing the .profile file worked)

Needs to do - if it does not exist then add it - otherwise ignore it ......

# ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells.
# This file is not read by bash(1), if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login
# exists.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/profile; for setting the umask
# for ssh logins, install and configure the libpam-umask package.
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
# include .bashrc if it exists
if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
. "$HOME/.bashrc"
fi
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

so I suppose you could say

# set PATH so it includes /usr/games
if [ -d "/usr/games" ] ; then
PATH="/usr/games:$PATH"
fi

JUST TRIED IT AND IT WORKS SO GUESS SO

I just do not want it adding it every time I log in ........ thats all ......

Now Alt+F2 works .... gbrainy ...... not that I use it .... but who knows - I might now,

keith@keith-MS-7181:~$ gbrainy
gbrainy 1.65 (built on 2011-04-11 01:01:38 UTC)
Extensions database: /home/keith/.config/gbrainy
Games registered: 157: 60 logic puzzles, 11 calculation trainers, 10 memory trainers, 76 verbal analogies
Startup time 00:00:00.5510620

I have removed global menus ....... made it easier.

Step 1
sudo apt-get remove indicator-appmenu (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-appmenu)

philnice
June 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
It's being a long since my last visit here. I'm rehearsing for some gigs during the summer, and also preparing for the upcoming season.
I hope things going well for you guys. :p

cbowman57
June 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Got to take care of business. :) ttyl

bulldog
June 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Installed the v2 on my laptop too.
No problems encountered,extensions working,but I think the kovtray thingy is to be held responsible for the large icons in the notification area.

Have to sort out the themes permissions and copy the to .themes.
But it's running on a Intel graphics based laptop very well.
Copied all the extensions to ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions so there should no doubles been exposed in lg.

Well,back to the themes then :D for now.

cbowman57
June 12th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Installed the v2 on my laptop too.
No problems encountered,extensions working,but I think the kovtray thingy is to be held responsible for the large icons in the notification area.

Have to sort out the themes permissions and copy the to .themes.
But it's running on a Intel graphics based laptop very well.
Copied all the extensions to ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions so there should no doubles been exposed in lg.

Well,back to the themes then :D for now.

Good to hear it's working well on the laptop. Never gave any thought to the kovtray causing that, now I'll have to switch it off and see what happens. :)

cbowman57
June 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Ok, like the kov tray removal of the accordion effect but don't like the large icons? Open up the stylesheet.css and change line 2 from 50px to 36px. Then the extension.js line 7, change ICON_SIZE to 24. You can probably experiment some, there is a .diff provided so it shows what is changed from the default shell behavior.

bulldog
June 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Ok, like the kov tray removal of the accordion effect but don't like the large icons? Open up the stylesheet.css and change line 2 from 50px to 36px. Then the extension.js line 7, change ICON_SIZE to 24. You can probably experiment some, there is a .diff provided so it shows what is changed from the default shell behavior.

Ha,is that what kovtray does?
Turned it off because I didn't understand what it did :D

Thanks cbowman,will try it again,after changing the files.

Themes are working too,did install some programs and I'm happy with the result.

Will install the v2 on a desktop and maybe a laptop from a friend tomorrow.

cbowman57
June 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it's a little bit subtle. The extension creator wanted larger icons & had difficulty mousing over the moving icons. :)

Some of the extensions are real easy to tweak, but by including that .diff he really made it easy to make those changes.

I wish relocating the mediaplayer extension were as easy.

cecilpierce
June 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
WOW! 22 hours of silence here, did everyone move?

Well I have been fiddling with g3-Oneiric and cant get the themeselector@fpmurphy to work, it locks up the desktop then I have to go to tty1 and remove it and restart.
If anyone is left alive here give me some clues on what to look for, besides get a new life !!! :p

bulldog
June 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
WOW! 22 hours of silence here, did everyone move?

Well I have been fiddling with g3-Oneiric and cant get the themeselector@fpmurphy to work, it locks up the desktop then I have to go to tty1 and remove it and restart.
If anyone is left alive here give me some clues on what to look for, besides get a new life !!! :p

Have not tried oneiric,so can't help you.
And yes,it's very quite on the forum,I think nobody has something to say.

sanderd17
June 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM
And yes,it's very quite on the forum,I think nobody has something to say.

All right, I will ask something :P

Has anyone tried Gnome-shell on a touchscreen? If you did, on what device, what worked good and what worked not so very good?

bulldog
June 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
All right, I will ask something :P

Has anyone tried Gnome-shell on a touchscreen? If you did, on what device, what worked good and what worked not so very good?

Nope I haven't.
I have a desktop and a laptop computer and they both come along with a nice keybord and a mouse.

I have two touchscreen phones however,and to be honest,I don't like them at all.
Always scrolling to fast or selecting an item I don't want,nope,touchscreens aren't for me I think.

23dornot23d
June 13th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Finally got a running version of Gnome Shell in OO .... 11.10 (http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4801/screenshot10wa.jpg) ....... kernel generic 3.0.0
as of today .... its taken some time .... and .... compiz replace works (http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3197/screenshot15k.jpg) ....

.... but nothing is set up like I would have expected it to be .....
so its just been a big headache and lots of installing ..... killing the system ....
re-installing (still - its working ok now though).

Oh and touch devices none here other than a small hand held PDA - GPS but

I have been having a good look at videos of them .....

..... consumerism is not my thing though no money at moment ....
but no harm in looking and they do look like they will soon become throw away items or broken

( who knows one may be worth a tryout ...)

Quite like the looks of the one that detaches from the keyboard ..... as a design ;)

Oneiric 11.10 .... is ok for video now too .... by the looks ..... no blues flashes ....

The video problems no longer exist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4W1nr2vEi8) .... this is quickly done using Gtk-Recordmydesktop
or maybe its to do with how I run it now ...

cecilpierce
June 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hi Keith, Im having problems to with this new and improved kernel, HA!
I have three OO's and one worked right off and one I just went to recovery mode and finally got the nouveau to load, nvidia driver wont work for some reason.
One more to try to figure out, what a head ache huh.... oh and I got gNatty V2 working good, dont know how I did that ???
I still cant get themeselector@ftmurphy going in OO, it locks up the whole thing, oh well gota take a break, grand kids are here with more head aches...think Ill goto the everglades and get drunk !

Later
Cecil

23dornot23d
June 14th, 2011, 03:20 PM
think Ill goto the everglades and get drunk ! Great idea wish I could join you .... ;)

Ok there are numerous reasons why it will not work in 11.10 ......

Will just give you the 3 that I think cause the problems ....

1..... The Gnome Shell build in their Repos is screwed ..... and old ..... MAIN PROBLEM
.......... ( I am actually surprised anybody got it to run )

2 .... The one you need is in the Ricotz Testing area ..... load the Testing PPA
.......... ( but you probably already have this if you have it working )

3 .... It will Fail .... always after about 30 seconds of use ...... unless you install LXDE and then do a

gnome-shell --replace

from within that desktop environment it will work .....
( but if it fails let me know why ..... as there were so many things I have had to do over the last 3 days to get this stable ...... )
( I may have forgotten things ..... getting old now..... but no excuses for me ...... )

Let me know what happens ....

and by the way the only Nvidia driver that seems to work properly for this is the one in my screenshot

Yet another PPA is needed ..... for that ..... too ...... so its not easy yet ..... and I see you have already found
out that the one in the normal repos is no good .....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10937537#post10937537

You need the driver the link I think is in the thread above ..... ( but will see if I can find and post them below )

Watch this space .....

First the Ricotz Testing PPA

https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing (https://launchpad.net/%7Ericotz/+archive/testing)

READ WHAT IT SAYS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO USE THIS THOUGH

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa (https://launchpad.net/%7Exorg-edgers/+archive/ppa)

FOR MOST instances this is probably a better choice though

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates (https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates)

I have jumped through hoops to get this working and I believe that this is not needed as it
ran so well before .......

Screensaver runs too now as a BONUS

cbowman57
June 14th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Been at the beach. Had gnome-shell running on Oneiric a couple weeks ago, ran beautifully, then there was an update and it wouldn't even boot. Too unstable for my use, just don't have the time required to get another one up & running. My available time is more than occupied working with it on 11.04 for now.

@sanderd, sorry I don't have a tablet either to test with but seem to recall someone mention that it ran fine on his, but I'm pretty sure that was after he'd switched gdm to 2.32, I think he was having some type of login problem that was cured once he had autologin capabilities. Wish I could remember what thread that was in but it's just not coming to me at the moment. Other than that couple posts I don't remember reading very much about gnome-shell on a tablet.

@cecilpierce; still alive, just had to go out and overindulge with family myself for a couple days. Silence means everything is running smoothly right? :)

cecilpierce
June 14th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yea RIGHT!
Took me all day screwing with the last of three OO installs to get it working, boy am I tired of this, the new kernel don't like nvidia I guess but now I can go back and mess with gNatty V1 & V2, see if I can screw them up :p

By the way do you know why themeselector@ftmurphy locks up my g3 OO ?

Later, Cec

cbowman57
June 14th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I have no idea Cecil, I don't remember having any problems when I tried it, but the updates hosed it pretty quick after I had it all up & running. What shell version is OO using?

Oh, if you need a hand screwing up a perfectly good Ubuntu install I'm pretty good at that. :)

cecilpierce
June 15th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I have no idea Cecil, I don't remember having any problems when I tried it, but the updates hosed it pretty quick after I had it all up & running. What shell version is OO using?

Oh, if you need a hand screwing up a perfectly good Ubuntu install I'm pretty good at that. :)

3.0.2-1 shell.

Themeselector works good in gNatty V1 & 2.
I dont think I need any help screwin things up, just can read my own notes any more.

Oh well theres always the beach...or the bar !

cbowman57
June 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM
oh well theres always the beach...or the bar !

+1 :)

cbowman57
June 15th, 2011, 01:14 AM
A possible candidate for a v3. Have been learning some tricks with Remastersys in distro mode to transfer settings, themes, extensions, etc.. and keep them in local user mode. So basically it can be run live and installed with extensions turned off, avoiding the lengthy installation notes used in v2.

From the looks of the stats on linuxtracker.org v2 has been downloaded about 125 times so far.

Do you guys think there is enough interest to bother with a v3? If there is I would also follow up with a 64-bit that would be virtually identical. Your thoughts please?

This would be the default look if I go ahead with it. I've actually added a couple more extensions, one would actually replace about 4 existing ones, fpmurphy's eureka extension. A modified mediaplayer extension (relocated to the status tray, I hated the default placement). Also includes fpmurphy's modified extension.js & main.js to overcome some bugs that affect extension themes.

cbowman57
June 15th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Don't know if any of you use Facebook but the guys over at UGR now have a page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/UGR/120931067991846

23dornot23d
June 15th, 2011, 02:27 AM
By the way do you know why themeselector@ftmurphy locks up my g3 OO ?
Not sure - but on the latest version it may already be in one of the other directories
/home/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ the only ones I have are shown below ....

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1797/screenshot8sq.jpg

so it will work ok ..... but this could be trial and error with the others ...... as I do not use them
not because I do not want to .... its my TV does not display that top 1/2 inch of screen
where they sit ..... so it makes it impossible for me to use them.

A possible candidate for a v3. Have been learning some tricks with Remastersys in distro mode to transfer settings, themes, extensions, etc.. and keep them in local user mode. So basically it can be run live and installed with extensions turned off, avoiding the lengthy installation notes used in v2.

From the looks of the stats on linuxtracker.org v2 has been downloaded about 125 times so far.

Do you guys think there is enough interest to bother with a v3? If there is I would also follow up with a 64-bit that would be virtually identical. Your thoughts please?

I think it would be a good idea to do one for 64 bit ....... as you can do a very good installable version.

But if you want you can have a look at this one and see what you think to it .....

I have just created another test version 64 Bit Oneiric Based ..... this has taken some time to get running and is obviously just for Testing .... if anybody wants to give it a try
I have not named it the same as before ..... just called it TRON-64bit as it based on that
theme

(Should also not cause confusion as my attempt is just really to run it live to give users an idea of
what it can do ..... conky is included this time and so are the links on the desktop for
swapping between Compiz Unity and Gnome-Shell .... all of this should run from the live DVD)

..... but it does have the latest Nvidia Driver and Kernel 3.0.0 .....

Here is a LINK if any body is interested ...... its a massive download though at 3.8 Gig.
so I do not expect many takers ...... but its here if it can save anybody all the problems
that I had to go through in getting it running ..... LINK (http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=7c76080b1aec3f7850370b1ecbb6d2e88ca71a4e)

This is the first time I could take the disk from my laptop and put it onto my desktop machine
with a old Nvidia 6200 graphics card and it went to the login and then into the desktop with no problems.

bulldog
June 15th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Had a weird experience with the v2.
I had to print out an email yesterday but my printer [HP Deskjet 880C]did think otherwise and spit out only blank pieces of paper.
Did change the language but didn't help.
Fired up the x64 and the printing was done in a moment.

Email was Dutch,language in the v2 English,not printing,changed to Dutch did not do it either
Any thoughts?

bulldog
June 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM

This would be the default look if I go ahead with it. I've actually added a couple more extensions, one would actually replace about 4 existing ones, fpmurphy's eureka extension. A modified mediaplayer extension (relocated to the status tray, I hated the default placement). Also includes fpmurphy's modified extension.js & main.js to overcome some bugs that affect extension themes.

Well, for a x64 I'm always interested ,but I have to say,there are not much problems with the v1,which I'm running at the moment.
With the i686 v2 is nothing wrong too,but had some trouble to print an email,which problem doesn't exist in the x64.
Will look into that in the weekend,but have no idea were to look.

If you can provide an ISO which can be installed without problems with permissions or compressing a directory,it would be great.

I think there would be people willing to try this one ,instead of going to Fedora or any other distro.

The v2 - 149 downloads till now.

bulldog
June 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
@sanderd, sorry I don't have a tablet either to test with but seem to recall someone mention that it ran fine on his, but I'm pretty sure that was after he'd switched gdm to 2.32, I think he was having some type of login problem that was cured once he had autologin capabilities. Wish I could remember what thread that was in but it's just not coming to me at the moment. Other than that couple posts I don't remember reading very much about gnome-shell on a tablet.

I think you are looking for this one.....
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10904432&postcount=394

cbowman57
June 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
@bulldog; no clue about the printing problem, that should be integral to Natty itself so it might just be a bug affecting the 32-bit? Puzzling, sorry I can't help.

bulldog
June 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
@bulldog; no clue about the printing problem, that should be integral to Natty itself so it might just be a bug affecting the 32-bit? Puzzling, sorry I can't help.

No problem,will look into it in a couple of days,I'll use another install if I have to print anything.

sanderd17
June 15th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I think you are looking for this one.....
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10904432&postcount=394

Thanks, that lead me to http://www.ollie-reardon.co.uk/which-linux-distributions-works-on-the-viewpad-10/ So the viewpad 10 seems to work ootb (in contrary to some other touch screens where multitouch is missing for Linux as far as I've read).

I do wonder how they get Windows on AND Android that. 16 GB SSD and 1GB RAM. That can't run comfortable.

23dornot23d
June 15th, 2011, 11:15 PM
This is an interesting problem with the solution too ...... LINK (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10943710&postcount=15)

I have only had this happen once ..... and once you do it you do not forget it .....
as it opens everything up with the same application when you open folders etc .....
Just for information ....

Interesting VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_7f3Lxd4_I) ... touchscreen

cbowman57
June 15th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Well guys, really pleased with this one. I think I've covered all the bases and this will likely be the final version, barring some special situation. A 32-bit version will follow within a week if everything goes well.

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=603bd567f7006e0835c2d8e095d390dbc8b1dfef

As usual, it's going to be slow creeping into the web, please keep it seeded as much as possible.

Installation Note

Thank you for trying gNatty Gnome amd64 v3 Live!

Before you begin read this document thoroughly.

This is a respin of Ubuntu 11.04 amd64 desktop with Gnome 3.0 shell installed.

- It was created with the recipe provided by the UGR (Ubuntu Gnome Remix) team (http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/) for UGR 0.1.1 "Nebula" and some packages from the ricotz/testing ppa.

- It is recommended that you do not try to upgrade and existing installation, I cannot predict the results.

- Known bugs, will not install from the grub menu, must be installed from the desktop environment. In Gnome classic it can be found by clicking on System > Administration > Install Ubuntu 11.04 release. There seems to be a problem with Nvidia 173 drivers, remove those and upgrade to the later version.

- If for some reason you find yourself logged out you are "Live session user", there is no password.

- Do not choose automatic login as an option while you are installing, you can work around it but it might make things more difficult.

- After installing you will want to go to the Gnome classic desktop & update your video driver. For those of you that run Intel or Nvidia video cards there should be no problems. For those having problems with ATI & Ubuntu 11.04, that's just an inherent problem with the current Ubuntu release.

- Once your video driver is installed you should be able to reboot and choose "GNOME" when you log back in.

- After the shell itself is functioning you can then add extensions & themes.

- Place gNatty Themes.tar.gz in your Home directory and extract, the contents should end up in ~/.themes.

- Place gNatty Icons.tar.gz in ~/.local/share & extract, the contents should end up in ~/.local/share/icons.

- Place gNatty Extensions.tar.gz in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell, the contents should end up in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions.

- I have included a screenshot of my desktop after using this installation iso.

- Also included is the wallpaper I use, I find it looks very nice with the Atolm theme.

Full credit is given to Canonical, the Gnome team, UGR, Finn Murphy and the assortment of artists & authors that have contributed to this little project.

If you run into a problem, or just want to say that everything went well you can find me in this thread on Ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754198 and I can be found throughout the forum as cbowman57.

If you spend time on Facebook I also visit the UGR page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/UGR/120931067991846 as Charles Bowman.

There is no warranty expressed or implied. I am making this available with the assumption that whoever gives it a try already has some working knowledge of Linux and/or Ubuntu.

Now read it again before you begin. Good luck & have fun.

cbowman57
June 15th, 2011, 11:59 PM
This is an interesting problem with the solution too ...... LINK (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10943710&postcount=15)

I have only had this happen once ..... and once you do it you do not forget it .....
as it opens everything up with the same application when you open folders etc .....
Just for information ....

Interesting VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_7f3Lxd4_I) ... touchscreen

Yes, handy tip. I had to edit the mimesapp.list myself a couple months ago. Can't remember if I stumbled across a fix or just located the file by sheer luck. :)

23dornot23d
June 16th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Good to know .... we sometimes wander through the threads and its hard to re-locate the
information .... so by keeping it all in this thread seems to be the way to go.

Glad you knew about it ..... it caught me out .... everything started opening up in the first
application I had chosen .... is all ok now though.

Looking forward to trying out new things too - never quite sure where things lead - but it
does get interesting.

Glad to see the link on Facebook too to UGR - will keep an eye on this .... need to see
all the new ideas ..... realized looking at 11.10 ... that some of the people seemed
unaware of how much extra work has been done in here to get all the extensions to where they
are today.

One thing I would like to see is a way of resizing the top panel .... by up to a extra 20 pixels
as it would be sufficient for me to start to use it ..... not sure if this is at all possible though
as I have seen how it sometimes makes choosing things awkward on other systems.

( Sabayon lets you resize its panels and they sometimes become un-selectable due to overlaps )

cbowman57
June 16th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Yeah, even with the search feature it's sometimes hard to relocate a valuable bit of information. The other day I ran across a real neat looking Remastersys guide for customizing distro modes, made a mental note, thought I could put my finger on it at anytime. Looked yesterday & couldn't locate it. :) Which explains a little bit why I started over with UCK and threw the extensions & themes on the side for the end user to install (or not).

I resized my Atolm panel, you have to edit a file in your theme, again I did it over a month ago & don't remember the file name. If it's something you want though you can probably hack it. :) One of the reasons I really love working with this shell, it's basically just flat text file configuration and if you stare at it long enough parts start making sense.

23dornot23d
June 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM
If it's something you want though you can probably hack it. :smile: One of the reasons I really love working with this shell, it's basically just flat text file configuration and if you stare at it long enough parts start making sense.
I know what you mean - there have been times when I have thought about setting about to do things with Linux in general and thought it cannot be done ..... the opposite has happened .... with all the documented programs and good help its often very easy to accomplish things
;)

Found some good information here - its old but would think that the advice is still relative - for where to look
and what to alter to change things in the Top Panel (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1479239.html) ..... like background etc ..... but obviously more things
can be done too ....

Looking forward now to seeing how far we can go with 11.10 too as it seems pretty good at
the moment for Gnome-Shell.

I was surprised too I installed my new 64 bit version on a old computer and it flies .... this
is the first time I have seen the old Nvidia Graphics card working so well. Ubuntu have done
a great job on the new Nvidia graphics driver and Kernel .....

cecilpierce
June 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I know what you mean - there have been times when I have thought about setting about to do things with Linux in general and thought it cannot be done ..... the opposite has happened .... with all the documented programs and good help its often very easy to accomplish things
;)

Found some good information here - its old but would think that the advice is still relative - for where to look
and what to alter to change things in the Top Panel (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1479239.html) ..... like background etc ..... but obviously more things
can be done too ....

Looking forward now to seeing how far we can go with 11.10 too as it seems pretty good at
the moment for Gnome-Shell.

I was surprised too I installed my new 64 bit version on a old computer and it flies .... this
is the first time I have seen the old Nvidia Graphics card working so well. Ubuntu have done
a great job on the new Nvidia graphics driver and Kernel .....

Thats some real cool info Keith, hope I can remember where its all at to try it later, Im in the wrong OS now, waiting on my grandson to go bike riding !
Let me know how you do with rhe top panel thing.
By the way I tried alot of extensions in OO and some worked and some didnt seem to do anything, what does gajim do ??

Later, Cec

23dornot23d
June 16th, 2011, 02:51 PM
gajim is for instant messaging .... LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gajim)

Have a good bike ride too - I was out on mine yesterday .... was my Birthday so a nice meal
down by the side of the canal with an Old Friend .... it rained a little but still turned out to be a good day ......

I am presently trying to cut the size down of the ISO I made to add other things to it ..... seems if we have
DVD's and REMASTERSYS that allow for 4 Gig .... and most Flash USB drives are now being made bigger
I think we change with the times ..... like how many 1.44mb restrictions stopped developers moving on
technology will change ...... one day 4 Gig will seem like the 1.44mb disks do to use now.

So my intention is to get the best software on a disk and the best desktop environment .... yet still to get it
running on reasonably old hardware too ..... as my old desktop machine here has only 512 Meg of Ram and
a 6200 Nvidia Card in it ..... got UNITY , COMPIZ , GNOME-SHELL all running plus a decent screensaver -
It was interesting that Fedora 15 would not allow Gnome-Shell to install in under 640Meg of Ram on that same machine ..... not sure why yet though as it runs in 470 Meg on my remake with Firefox running and conky and cairo-dock ....

People can always burn disks for their friends too now that Remastersys works on this disk with K3b for
burning the Dvd too ......

Will look at the panel later ..... as I am still using Cairo-Dock at present instead as it has everything I need.

But I do like options ..... ;)

cbowman57
June 16th, 2011, 04:17 PM
@Keith; That is a good link, wish I had it weeks ago. I was doing it trial & error. If anyone uses the Atolm theme I packaged for gNatty & compares it to the one available on DeviantArt there are some subtle differences. Unlike what you are trying to do though I actually reduced panel size, changed gradient & altered the colors slightly to please my eye.

23dornot23d
June 16th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Unlike what you are trying to do though I actually reduced panel size, changed gradient & altered the colors slightly to please my eye.
Yep I realize to an extent we have slightly different agendas ..... but the end result is to create choice and the availability of it for others ...... that was why I renamed the 64 bit
as mine uses Cairo-Dock and yours uses the Panels more ..... but both can be swapped and changed any way the USER wants .....

Removing restrictions and giving people even more choices will come ....

I think in the few weeks this has been running I have learned loads and the experience is still moving forward ..... which is great and I think Linux users as a whole will soon be able to customize the new one almost any way they could have before.

Which then means the transition from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 ..... may become smoother.

I no longer really miss Gnome 2 ..... but would appreciate to have just a couple more of the
old features. :)

@Keith; That is a good link, wish I had it weeks ago. I was doing it trial & error.

Yep me too .... seems there are loads of threads out there ..... just finding them and I only just found that
through this problem with panel resizing .....

cbowman57
June 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Yep I realize to an extent we have slightly different agendas ..... but the end result is to create choice and the availability of it for others ...... that was why I renamed the 64 bit
as mine uses Cairo-Dock and yours uses the Panels more ..... but both can be swapped and changed any way the USER wants .....

Removing restrictions and giving people even more choices will come ....

Exactly right, I love having a desktop that is this configurable. Wait until gnome-tweak-tool expands or other gui application s become available for actually tweaking the shell itself. :) I wish the author of ubuntu-tweak would take an interest in gnome shell, but he seems to be focusing on Unity support right now.

I think in the few weeks this has been running I have learned loads and the experience is still moving forward ..... which is great and I think Linux users as a whole will soon be able to customize the new one almost any way they could have before.

Which then means the transition from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 ..... may become smoother.I've probably forgotten more in the past month playing with this than I ever knew before. I like to make sure I learn at least one new thing everyday, this makes that goal easy to attain. ;)

I no longer really miss Gnome 2 ..... but would appreciate to have just a couple more of the
old features. :)Don't know what all you still miss but Andrew published a small article on Webupd8 for an extension that moves the panel to the bottom and makes it even more like Gnome 2. Even though most of these extensions seem to provide backward compatibility I think they act as more of an enhancement to how the shell operates and aren't attempts to make it function "just like" Gnome 2.

Yep me too .... seems there are loads of threads out there ..... just finding them and I only just found that through this problem with panel resizing .....For information junkies the internet fits the need, and the first one was free. ::lol::

cbowman57
June 17th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Updated gNatty Pack to keep it current with the package included with gNatty Gnome amd64 v3 Live.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hi cbowman57, does v3 allow wubi install? I am not partitioned at the moment, and am using ubuntu through wubi; I am keen to test your g3 shell rendition so I am asking.
Thanks
swb

cbowman57
June 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Hi cbowman57, does v3 allow wubi install? I am not partitioned at the moment, and am using ubuntu through wubi; I am keen to test your g3 shell rendition so I am asking.
Thanks
swb

No, I'm sorry, it does not. I removed that support because it creates too many problems and makes troubleshooting a PITA. Running linux as if it were an app under windows just runs contrary to my philosophy. With the available drive space people have these days I feel it is just too simple to use GParted (included on the live image) to carve out a 10-20Gb partition and do an actual install to try it out. If you worry about grub messing up your windows installation grub can be installed to a usb flash drive with good results.

I should have probably included that info in the installation notes but I appreciate you asking the question. I hope that you will reconsider the installation options & give it a go.

I multi-boot myself & keep a Windows 7 partition for those times when nothing else will do. I certainly don't believe in limiting a person's choice when it comes to computing tools.

Another option is to use the UGR recipe to try and upgrade your existing wubi installation, in addition to their instructions I add ppa:ricotz/testing, which as of a couple days ago was required for installing extension & theme support. Do not install the extensions from the ppa though, you can then download the gNatty Pack and install the themes & extensions per the included installation notes. If you go that route let me know how it goes, I'm curious & it may result in leaving wubi in future versions if it runs trouble free for you.

(I realize you know what you're doing in Ubuntu but wanted to spell things out clearly for other less experienced users)

cbowman57
June 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I noticed that Unity was upgraded this morning, since I don't use it I looked in just to see if it still worked (which it does). Frankly I feel like a fish out of water when I enter that environment anymore. :)

shuttleworthwannabe
June 18th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Thanks you for the input; I usually do a full installation to a dedicated linux partition with swap. Only this time, I have a work laptop, and the IT guys do not want me to play with the hardware; so I do Wubi (easily removed and GRUB can be removed too).

I appreciate your suggestions though. I will give this a whirl when I get home on my personal laptop (it has Fedora 15 with Gnome 3/and Shell)--so would be nice to compare how this rendition feels.

Couple more questions
(1) jocky-gtk is included, right?
(2) Did you add any restricted extra's to the DVD?
(3) I have noticed that Adobe-flash plugin in vanilla Ubuntu 11.04 is very choppy (linux Mint has got it right for some reason--runs smoothly); did you customize this as well?
(4) Is this a Live DVD? to test it?

Many thanks,
swb

cbowman57
June 18th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks you for the input; I usually do a full installation to a dedicated linux partition with swap. Only this time, I have a work laptop, and the IT guys do not want me to play with the hardware; so I do Wubi (easily removed and GRUB can be removed too).

I appreciate your suggestions though. I will give this a whirl when I get home on my personal laptop (it has Fedora 15 with Gnome 3/and Shell)--so would be nice to compare how this rendition feels.

Couple more questions
(1) jocky-gtk is included, right?
(2) Did you add any restricted extra's to the DVD?
(3) I have noticed that Adobe-flash plugin in vanilla Ubuntu 11.04 is very choppy (linux Mint has got it right for some reason--runs smoothly); did you customize this as well?
(4) Is this a Live DVD? to test it?

Many thanks,
swb

I understand the work laptop thing. :)

Jockey-gtk is included, ubuntu-restricted-extras were added. No, the flash plug-in is what comes with the restricted-extras. I wanted to adhere to the generic Natty as much as possible, though I personally usually add the Adobe flash for 64-bit via ubuntu-tweak, which I believe I left out. Synapse was added because I can't do without it.

It is a live DVD, but I'm sure you're already familiar with the way the stock video drivers affect Unity & Gnome shell. If you can burn it to usb flash drive with persistence file though you should be able to customize it some. If your laptop has Intel video though it may work as-is, that's something I haven't personally tested.

I'm very much interested i how you think it stacks up against Fedora. My previous experience with Gnome 3 was on OpenSuse & I think this compares favorably.

bulldog
June 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Congrats to you,cbowman57,this looks like the one I was waiting for.

Downloaded the ISO and installed it a few minutes ago,and it looks great.
A few little things are not how they should be,namely the kovtray extension is still display large icons in the notification area,but it LOOKS VERY GOOD!!

But basically it installed and runs fine,no problems and I'm happy you did pack the goodies apart from the ISO.

Thumbs up,and you should be proud of this release :KS:KS:KS

cbowman57
June 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you bulldog, thought I'd altered kovtray that went into the package but apparently I picked it from the wrong partition. Very simple matter to adjust icon size in the kovtray extension.js

Adjust the number that is in bold.

function main(metadata) {
MessageTray.MessageTray.prototype._setExpandedSumm aryItem = function (summaryItem) { };
MessageTray.Source.prototype.ICON_SIZE = 24;
}

24 looks nice on my system but you might want to experiment with different sizes.

I'm no java script programmer but I've found that it's pretty easy to make minor changes to the extensions & even the shell itself with a little poking around.

I am extremely happy with this version & glad to get some feedback on how it works for other people. I think the approach I took with the themes & extensions is in line with some of the suggestions received and discussions we've had. Going to try and work on the 32-bit version next week, a couple days later than I'd planned. Think I'll call it v3.1 since I didn't make notes, so while I want an exact duplicate of this one, I'm certain to have a minor change or two. :)

bulldog
June 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Thank you bulldog, thought I'd altered kovtray that went into the package but apparently I picked it from the wrong partition. Very simple matter to adjust icon size in the kovtray extension.js

Adjust the number that is in bold.

function main(metadata) {
MessageTray.MessageTray.prototype._setExpandedSumm aryItem = function (summaryItem) { };
MessageTray.Source.prototype.ICON_SIZE = 24;
}

24 looks nice on my system but you might want to experiment with different sizes.

I'm no java script programmer but I've found that it's pretty easy to make minor changes to the extensions & even the shell itself with a little poking around.

I am extremely happy with this version & glad to get some feedback on how it works for other people. I think the approach I took with the themes & extensions is in line with some of the suggestions received and discussions we've had. Going to try and work on the 32-bit version next week, a couple days later than I'd planned. Think I'll call it v3.1 since I didn't make notes, so while I want an exact duplicate of this one, I'm certain to have a minor change or two. :)

You should be happy with this release indeed.
The kovtray and how to change I picked up earlier in the tread,so no problem to fix.
I will test this further tomorrow because I haven't time today,but as I said the install and all was of high standard no problems and after install the graphics driver I could log into Gnome.
Installed the goodies one by one and it worked smoothly.

Have to change a few parts here and there to suit my taste,but that's personal,everybody should be able to install this,you don't have to be an experienced user to do so.
And that's GREAT,now we have to spread the word to get people to use it,it's worth it,thank you again for sharing this.

bulldog
June 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
First screenshot :D

cbowman57
June 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Finn quietly deposited a really cool extension the other day in his repository called statusbuttoncss. (http://www.fpmurphy.com/gnome-shell-extensions/)

It's primary function was to reduce the icon padding of the status icons & make them more closely approximate the spacing of the icons displayed by the eureka extension (at least I think that was his intent since he's been silent on the subject). I found that I could improve the aesthetics even further with a little editing.

this._iconActor = new St.Icon({ icon_name: iconName,
icon_type: St.IconType.FULLCOLOR,
icon_size: Main.panel.button.get_child().height,By changing the text from SYMBOLIC to FULLCOLOR they can be made to use your icon theme. By adding the text in line 3 they inherit the size of your other panel icons. I think it's a really nice extension & hope some of you might find a use for it also.

While I feel that most of these extensions add a lot of gnome 2 functionality I think they also enhance gnome 3.0 and show how configurable it is.

I've added an image showing the result of using this extension with the modifications I've described.

BTW, to remove my username from the status menu I comment out the lines as shown here in statusMenu.js

_updateUserName: function() {
// if (this._user.is_loaded)
// this._name.set_text(this._user.get_real_name());
// else

(Currently lines 108-110)

cbowman57
June 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM
First screenshot :D

Damn! That looks good. :)

What can I say, I tend to gravitate to dark themes, easy on my eyes. Cant wait to see what people do with it. I posted a shot over on Webupd8 the other day and one response was something to the effect, "that's not gnome 3.0". :lol:

It's really been a pleasure sharing this with you guys.

bulldog
June 18th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I think you are right about the usability of the extensions,BUT if you get them all at once,it could be a bit over whelming,but that's only my opinion.
I add a few which I find useful at the time and when I get the feeling I miss something,I look if there's an extension which I can use.
I find GS3 usable as it is,you have to learn to do things different,but if you get used to it,it's very nice indeed.
With the shortcuts you can do anything you want,and the extensions at hand CAN give you the extra help you need,but I have no intention to make a clone of gnome2 on my desktop.:P

cbowman57
June 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Updated gNatty Pack, cleaned up some backup text files, reduced default icon size in kovtray extension. Added the fpmurphy statusbuttoncss extension (modified).

Also made the extensions available without downloading entire gNatty Pack. (400Kb instead of the whole 10Mb)

Is anyone having a problem setting up the weather extension for their locale?

cbowman57
June 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM
If you updated today you are essentially running an enhanced version of UGR 0.3.0 "Centaurus". UGR Home page link (http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/home-1)

aeronutt
June 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Updated gNatty Pack, cleaned up some backup text files, reduced default icon size in kovtray extension. Added the fpmurphy statusbuttoncss extension (modified).

Also made the extensions available without downloading entire gNatty Pack. (400Kb instead of the whole 10Mb)

Is anyone having a problem setting up the weather extension for their locale?

Awesome! Thanks!

I'd been searching for 'autohide' for the top bar, and found a few who seemed to have been successful in other distros. Here's a few examples:
http://fedora.rasmil.dk/blog/?p=253
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/autohide-top-bar-gnome-shell-extension.html

Any one know of gnome3 top panel autohide for ubuntu?

EDIT: wait...that last one looks like it's from fpmurphy

cbowman57
June 19th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hi aeronutt,

An autohide extension is included in the pack, same one as a matter of fact.

That one will work "out of the box" with the other extensions, no conflicts that I found. (or remember)

aeronutt
June 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks!!! I just installed it....it's a little odd in how it works, might just be me. :) But I'm happy to get that vertical screen space back!

Now, if I could just get rid of that big fat titlebar on Firefox, I'd be happy.

cbowman57
June 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM
What do you find odd? The fact that you have to double click to activate it?

Know what you mean about Firefox, I usually use Chromium but have spending more time with Firefox lately. Too much padding in the title bar. If you find a way to mod that please let me know.

aeronutt
June 19th, 2011, 08:14 PM
re autohide, for some reason, I have to click the bar to get it to hide. For example, if I open firefox or chrome, it opens with the bar in view, then I tap the bar with my mouse, and poof, it goes away and firefox expands into the empty space.

Seems other windows operate a bit different. Nautilus seems to work 'as expected'.

Autohide seems to have slowed down all the other window graphics too.

cbowman57
June 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Might want to try the http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1295800.html export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none trick, put it in /etc/environment or try it from command line first. Don't know if it will have any effect but worth a try.

aeronutt
June 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I have an Intel integrated graphics, so I hoped this would help. Gnome shell was always a tad slow for me. Worst is the logoff pull down, sometimes takes 2 seconds to pop up. And after adding the autohide extension, now everything in the shell is very jumpy and eratic.

I tried adding "export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none" in /etc/environment, but no improvement.

Really doesn't make sense that my new intel i3 processor with integrated graphics can't handle this.

sanderd17
June 20th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I have an Intel integrated graphics, so I hoped this would help. Gnome shell was always a tad slow for me. Worst is the logoff pull down, sometimes takes 2 seconds to pop up. And after adding the autohide extension, now everything in the shell is very jumpy and eratic.

I tried adding "export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none" in /etc/environment, but no improvement.

Really doesn't make sense that my new intel i3 processor with integrated graphics can't handle this.

Bulldog gave me a link some pages ago that the /etc/environment file isn't read correctly. Try adding that export command to your ~/.profile file.

aeronutt
June 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Bulldog gave me a link some pages ago that the /etc/environment file isn't read correctly. Try adding that export command to your ~/.profile file.

Initial results look promising!!! I'll use this for a day and make sure. Awesome, THANKS!!!

bulldog
June 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
What do you find odd? The fact that you have to double click to activate it?

Know what you mean about Firefox, I usually use Chromium but have spending more time with Firefox lately. Too much padding in the title bar. If you find a way to mod that please let me know.

I use google-chrome which basically,in my understanding,is the same as chromium.
In the preferences is an option called Personal Stuff,here you could choose to hide the title-bar.

It's at the bottom of the screenshot,hope you can read it.

aeronutt
June 20th, 2011, 10:20 PM
And odd problem. My truecrypt GUI no longer has the menu options at the top. It's blank. (See below, I'm missing the things circled in red at the top.) Any ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/wdmMx.png

aeronutt
June 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I use google-chrome which basically,in my understanding,is the same as chromium.
In the preferences is an option called Personal Stuff,here you could choose to hide the title-bar.

It's at the bottom of the screenshot,hope you can read it.

I use that in Chrome, but have not found an equivalent option or plug in for Firefox. If I could do that in Firefox, I'd probably switch back to Firefox.

aeronutt
June 20th, 2011, 10:29 PM
One thing I find wanting in gnome-shell, is that when I open the dashboard and type in a few letters to find an application, sometimes the first 7 or so letters match for different applications. Below is an example of typing in 'network', 3 different apps, but I can't tell the difference in the dashboard.

Would be nice to be able to mouse over the icons and see the full names of the applications. Otherwise, I have to open them before I know.

Maybe an opportunity for another extension.

http://i.imgur.com/VOsz3.png

aeronutt
June 20th, 2011, 10:30 PM
By the way, this is the best thread in the forum right now. :):)

8_Bit
June 21st, 2011, 03:54 AM
I don't have time to go through the 111 pages of this thread. Can someone PM or link me to a website where I can find GNOME 3 extensions? I see all these screenshots of cool themes and plugins, and I feel left out here on my fresh UGR install!

Also do "GNOME Look" themes work on Gnome 3?

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 05:37 PM
I don't have time to go through the 111 pages of this thread. Can someone PM or link me to a website where I can find GNOME 3 extensions? I see all these screenshots of cool themes and plugins, and I feel left out here on my fresh UGR install!

Here you go,
http://www.fpmurphy.com/gnome-shell-extensions/

Don't know what you mean with Gnome-look themes.
If you meant Gnome-shell themes,they only work with gnome-shell obviously,you have to understand there's a difference between Gnome3 and Gnome-shell.

You can find a lot of information here,
http://www.webupd8.org/search/label/gnome%20shell?max-results=10

If you download the gNatty-pack,you'll have a bunch of extensions and themes,which are modified by cbowman57 to work nicely togeteher.
http://cid-32ec6e89f4aa803b.office.live.com/self.aspx/Linux/gNatty%20Pack.tar.gz

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 05:56 PM
By the way, this is the best thread in the forum right now. :):)

+1
Have you tried the new x64v3 already?
It's so easy to install,with all the goodies in the same download,but to install separately.
Have installed the ISO on three different desktops and no problems at all.

A very very good release!!

[Maybe a tip for the UGR-team]

shuttleworthwannabe
June 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM
for some reason twice now I am unable to install v3 on my dell vostro 3700--it hangs at the desktop (mouse only moves) nothing else loads--I waited for about 30mins, nothing happened.

Any idea what is going on? BTW, it uses a nvidia gforce.

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 06:21 PM
for some reason twice now I am unable to install v3 on my dell vostro 3700--it hangs at the desktop (mouse only moves) nothing else loads--I waited for about 30mins, nothing happened.

Any idea what is going on? BTW, it uses a nvidia gforce.

Did you choose the "fallback gnome session' because gnome-shell will not work without a driver for the graphics.
My mistake,are you talking about the live cd or after the install?

[Are you really still using Dapper?]

shuttleworthwannabe
June 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
It does not not load the desktop for me to select the fallback option in Live DVD--

I left Dapper for sentimental reasons--I used breezy first, but that option is not available.

millworm
June 21st, 2011, 08:17 PM
hello everyone :-)

first off all im enjoying this release allot! It's so much better than Unity, ugh.

Anyways.. my last update removed my network manager... so reinstall trhough convential methods won't work. Anyone know how i can install this or has .deb's? Thanks allot

Roasted
June 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Can someone clue me in on what the difference is from this and UGR? Just trying to grasp the concept of what's going on in here. Thanks. :)

Also, is there a 32 bit version? Or does anybody know if Intel Atoms support 64 bit?

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 08:49 PM
It does not not load the desktop for me to select the fallback option in Live DVD--

I left Dapper for sentimental reasons--I used breezy first, but that option is not available.

Did see this on a DVD too,hmmm thought it was a toaster.

Anyway,do you have a USB stick available,2GB would be nice.
If you do have one,install unetbootin and install the ISO on the USB stick,it will work.

I burned a DVD for a friend and it wouldn't load the desktop either,so I put it on a spare USB stick and all works well.
Have no idea why it wouldn't burn to a DVD though,maybe cbowman can shed a light at this?

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM

first off all im enjoying this release allot! It's so much better than Unity, ugh.

Anyways.. my last update removed my network manager... so reinstall trhough convential methods won't work. Anyone know how i can install this or has .deb's? Thanks allot

Please enlighten us with what release you're working,because the v3 has the new network manager.
I had this once with a Ubuntu Natty install with the ricotz ppa enabled,but never with one of cbowmans releases.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM
I did it!

(1) Live DVD x64 v3
(2) Hardware has nvidia gforce 330m
(3) Boot up with Live DVD
(4) After ISOLINUX....press F6 and select NOMODSET (?spelling)
(5) Let is load into desktop and select Gnome Classic (no effects)
(6) Install as usual
(7) Reboot and login into Gnome Classic
(8) Use jockey-gtk to install nvidia drivers
(9) Reboot
(10) Login into GNOME session and voila, gnatty in its full glory!

Now:
(1) How to get the GUI windows to look and honor the general theme--they are too sharp and lack lusture
(2) gnome-tweak-tool is handy and I have managed to setup fonts
(3) I use chromium-browser, why are the close/minimize/max buttons on the left side? How to make it look at Gnome 3 theme?

This is exciting...

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
Can someone clue me in on what the difference is from this and UGR? Just trying to grasp the concept of what's going on in here. Thanks. :)

Also, is there a 32 bit version? Or does anybody know if Intel Atoms support 64 bit?

There would be a 32 bit version one on these days,as far as I know cbowman is making one for sure.

The difference between UGR and this should be clarified by the maker of this release,butI can tell you what I know and if I'm mistaken,cbowman can correct me.

The UGR team gives you the tools to install Gnome-Shell on a fresh Natty install.
In simplified terms,cbowman made a copy of his install with UGR,after modifying extensions and themes and testing of course.
This copy is made available for you to install Gnome-Shell on a easy manner.

So if you do a clean Natty install,and use the UGR ppa and the gnome3 ppa ,you should basically get the same,but without the extra's which cbowman has build in.

Roasted
June 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
There would be a 32 bit version one on these days,as far as I know cbowman is making one for sure.

The difference between UGR and this should be clarified by the maker of this release,butI can tell you what I know and if I'm mistaken,cbowman can correct me.

The UGR team gives you the tools to install Gnome-Shell on a fresh Natty install.
In simplified terms,cbowman made a copy of his install with UGR,after modifying extensions and themes and testing of course.
This copy is made available for you to install Gnome-Shell on a easy manner.

So if you do a clean Natty install,and use the UGR ppa and the gnome3 ppa ,you should basically get the same,but without the extra's which cbowman has build in.

I was wondering if this version was avoiding the use of a PPA, because I've had some weirdness with the Gnome 3 PPA using Gnome Shell with both Ubuntu 11.04 and Mint 11. That said, Fedora 15 (using Gnome 3 by default) hasn't given me these issues. I want to use a "real" Gnome 3 distro without waiting till October for 11.10 to natively support Gnome 3 and then just install Gnome Shell from the repos, so that's why I'm using F15 for now.

Has anybody noticed any weirdness using this spin as opposed to the Gnome 3 PPA on 11.04? Or has this spin been more stable?

millworm
June 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Please enlighten us with what release you're working,because the v3 has the new network manager.
I had this once with a Ubuntu Natty install with the ricotz ppa enabled,but never with one of cbowmans releases.

i'm working with release v2 :) hope you know what i can do ... :)

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 09:10 PM
I did it!

(1) Live DVD x64 v3
(6) Install as usual
(9) Reboot

Now:
(1) How to get the GUI windows to look and honor the general theme--they are too sharp and lack lusture
(3) I use chromium-browser, why are the close/minimize/max buttons on the left side? How to make it look at Gnome 3 theme?

This is exciting...

Congrats to you,it's exiting indeed.:)
Did you install the extensions and the themes yet?
To get the close and minimize and max buttons to the right side,open ubuntu-tweaktool NOT gnome-tweak-tool,and there's an option to set them on the other side of the window.
I'm a Dutch speaking guy and I don't really understand point 1
but try some different themes and gtk3 and metacity themes in the tweaktool.
I use Zukitwo as a shell theme,atolm gtk3 as gtk3 and elegant as metacity.

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 09:22 PM
i'm working with release v2 :) hope you know what i can do ... :)
This would be the 32 bit release,this should have the new network manager also.
What did you do to get it not working?
Did you enable the ricotz ppa?
If you did enable the ricotz ppa,it would be advised to disable it again,it can and will break your install and it's not intended for novice users,only if you know what you're doing and can come to solutions,you can enable this one.

If it did work before you can go back to a previous version of the network manager with synaptic.
Find the network-manager in synaptic with the search,select it,and go to Package in your menu.
Select force version and select the previous one which worked.

My bad,I did re read your message and I understand you have no more internet on that computer.
The same happened to me.
I had no internet,not much time at hand,so I did a fresh install over it,should be no more then twenty minutes or so,and you're up and running again.
I don't think there's a .deb or something like that available for the network manager,may be a tar.gz on launchpad or the site for network manager,but I'm not sure at all,and I don't know if it will work.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 21st, 2011, 09:27 PM
Congrats to you,it's exiting indeed.:)
Did you install the extensions and the themes yet?
To get the close and minimize and max buttons to the right side,open ubuntu-tweaktool NOT gnome-tweak-tool,and there's an option to set them on the other side of the window.
I'm a Dutch speaking guy and I don't really understand point 1
but try some different themes and gtk3 and metacity themes in the tweaktool.
I use Zukitwo as a shell theme,atolm gtk3 as gtk3 and elegant as metacity.

How do I install new themes? Drag and drop? but where?

millworm
June 21st, 2011, 09:36 PM
This would be the 32 bit release,this should have the new network manager also.
What did you do to get it not working?
Did you enable the ricotz ppa?
If you did enable the ricotz ppa,it would be advised to disable it again,it can and will break your install and it's not intended for novice users,only if you know what you're doing and can come to solutions,you can enable this one.

If it did work before you can go back to a previous version of the network manager with synaptic.
Find the network-manager in synaptic with the search,select it,and go to Package in your menu.
Select force version and select the previous one which worked.

My bad,I did re read your message and I understand you have no more internet on that computer.
The same happened to me.
I had no internet,not much time at hand,so I did a fresh install over it,should be no more then twenty minutes or so,and you're up and running again.
I don't think there's a .deb or something like that available for the network manager,may be a tar.gz on launchpad or the site for network manager,but I'm not sure at all,and I don't know if it will work.

There was something with an ugr update. I noticted to late it removed the network manager.

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 09:39 PM
How do I install new themes? Drag and drop? but where?

New themes should be extracted to ~/.themes for the user.
BUT this will only work for the user NOT root.
You'll see synaptic is not following your chosen theme.
To get that working you'll need to copy the themes which are in your ~/.themes folder,to /usr/share/themes,this should be done with sudo.
You could open nautilus with ALT-F2 gksu nautilus and copy the themes from ~/.themes to /usr/share/themes.

If done root will have the same theme as you are using as a user.
In fact you don't need the ~/.themes folder any more,but keep it there to extract and explore new themes and if you like and use them,copy them over.

The tar.gz which came with the ISO,for extensions and themes,read the install notes from cbowman which is in the same folder as the tar.gz are.

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM
There was something with an ugr update. I noticted to late it removed the network manager.

Yes I had UGR updates too,but nothing removed my network-manager,I have to say I'm on the v3 but this shouldn't matter.
I have a Laptop with the same version as you have,will check what happens when I update.
I'll 'be back in 10 minutes.

Yep you're right,this happens with a partial upgrade which removes your UGR desktop and replace it with the ubuntu-desktop.
Also your NEW network-manager will be replaced with the OLD one,which obvious doesn't work.
I did not do the upgrade thanks to you,I know what would happen when I did.

But the only advice I can give you is to re-install on top of it and REFUSE the partial upgrade,or wait till cbowman release the NEW 32bit version one of these days.
Or,if your machine is capable,download the x64 v3 and try that one,either way,I don't think replacing the network manager will get you to a working gnome-shell again,because you have installed the ubuntu-desktop and removed the UGR-desktop.

bulldog
June 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM
Strange,the 'update' is only for 32bit version,just checked,and no partial upgrade for the x64.
But what not is can come tomorrow!

BE CAREFUL WITH PARTIAL UPGRADES,LOOK VERY CAREFULLY WHAT IT WILL DO,IT WILL REMOVE UGR-DESKTOP AND REPLACE IT WITH THE UBUNTU-DESKTOP,IN THE SAME MOVE,IT WILL REMOVE YOUR NETWORK-MANAGER AND WILL TRY TO REPLACE IT WITH THE OLD ONE,WHICH COULD FAIL!!

BE WARNED!!

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
One thing I find wanting in gnome-shell, is that when I open the dashboard and type in a few letters to find an application, sometimes the first 7 or so letters match for different applications. Below is an example of typing in 'network', 3 different apps, but I can't tell the difference in the dashboard.

Would be nice to be able to mouse over the icons and see the full names of the applications. Otherwise, I have to open them before I know.

Maybe an opportunity for another extension.

That would make a nice feature, I rely on Synapse so I didn't notice that it didn't already function like that.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM

On the lower part of post #1 there is a link to the gNatty Pack which includes the themes & extensions, or just the extensions.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:12 AM

With v2 I believe you will need to activate the ricotz/testing ppa, then update (if you can still connect somehow).

aeronutt
June 22nd, 2011, 02:18 AM
+1
Have you tried the new x64v3 already?
It's so easy to install,with all the goodies in the same download,but to install separately.
Have installed the ISO on three different desktops and no problems at all.

A very very good release!!

[Maybe a tip for the UGR-team]

I'll give it a try! Was wondering what to install on an available partition. :)

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:19 AM

Hey Roasted, very little is different from UGR, it uses the 2 ppa's they do but to v3 I added ricotz/testing. As far as I know UGR doesn't have an iso yet, nor do they try to package themes & extensions virtually guaranteed to work with with each other for Ubuntu.

So what I attempted to do was give people an iso they could burn & a collection of themes & extensions that should work without having to search the internet. So basically it just provides for an easy way to try Gnome 3.0 shell on Ubuntu and have some extra bells & whistles to make it interesting & get them started.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:21 AM
I did it!

(1) Live DVD x64 v3
(6) Install as usual
(9) Reboot

Now:

This is exciting...

That's great! I'm sure you've explored it some more in the past few hours and probably discovered your answers.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:23 AM
@Roasted, unfortunately it is supplied from ppa's, the advantage is that the project is moving quickly. I'm not totally certain what Ubuntu plans to do to integrate the shell in 11.10.

Roasted
June 22nd, 2011, 02:33 AM
@Roasted, unfortunately it is supplied from ppa's, the advantage is that the project is moving quickly. I'm not totally certain what Ubuntu plans to do to integrate the shell in 11.10.

Well, in 11.10 Unity is based on Gnome 3. I also heard Gnome Shell was being officially added to the repos, so it should be easily installable in 11.10. Plus, since Unity is based on Gnome 3 and Shell is based on Gnome 3, there should be no issues (keyword: should) with having Unity and Gnome Shell installed side-by-side and each an option to choose at the login screen.

This is all what I heard at least...

aeronutt
June 22nd, 2011, 02:39 AM
..., there should be no issues (keyword: should) with having Unity and Gnome Shell installed side-by-side and each an option to choose at the login screen...

And I will always choose Gnome. :):)

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:46 AM
Well, in 11.10 Unity is based on Gnome 3. I also heard Gnome Shell was being officially added to the repos, so it should be easily installable in 11.10. Plus, since Unity is based on Gnome 3 and Shell is based on Gnome 3, there should be no issues (keyword: should) with having Unity and Gnome Shell installed side-by-side and each an option to choose at the login screen.

This is all what I heard at least...

I've heard about the same, I just didn't want to wait and 11.10 is too unstable now for me to be interested yet.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:47 AM
And I will always choose Gnome. :):)

Yeah, I had the same thought, I only use Gnome but wanted to leave Unity as an option.

Roasted
June 22nd, 2011, 03:10 AM
I'll always be choosing Gnome as well. I just hope the Gnome Shell support in 11.10 isn't bastardized to some degree. I doubt Ubuntu devs would ever do this, because while they are headstrong to support Unity, they are still open minded and even congratulated Gnome on the release of Gnome Shell. That said, even if they would be foolish enough to do that, maaaaany users would be distro hopping and a re-spin would gain a ton of momentum...

But yeah, 11.10 on a production system is kind of "ehh". I'm having an issue with my main desktop now where I can't mount USB drives after a few moments of being logged in. GParted also takes about 15 minutes to respond. I'm running a PPA purge from my XFCE instance to see if it behaves better. Who knows what'll happen...

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 03:19 AM
@Roasted, that's what I worry about, that they will only implement as much of it as they need to keep Unity running. Time will tell.

Roasted
June 22nd, 2011, 05:32 AM
@Roasted, that's what I worry about, that they will only implement as much of it as they need to keep Unity running. Time will tell.

That would be a severe kick to Ubuntu's reputation to pick and choose like that.

Come on in LXDE. Oh XFCE, plenty of room for you! Hey there KDE, here's a seat right here with your name on it.

Oh, hi there Gnome Shell, you're not welcome here. Please leave.

That scenario would really kick them in the ***... Like I said, it would either cause a substantial move to another distro (such as Mint) or else the inevitable fork.

But hey, so far they've been VERY open and supportive of everyone and everything, with their primary focus (as expected) to be Unity. If this attitude continues, we should be in good shape.

Don't let me down, Ubuntu!

shuttleworthwannabe
June 22nd, 2011, 07:18 AM
That's great! I'm sure you've explored it some more in the past few hours and probably discovered your answers.

cbowman57,

Thanks this is such a breath of fresh air for Ubuntu! Well done. It is fast, responsive and Adobe Flash player works without a glitch (Ubuntu Natty 11.04 x64 the flash is choppy--and I know there is a fix for this somewhere).

My current challenges:
1. mouse cursor does not want to change to desired cursor--this is a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/786325) in ubuntu; command line
sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme also does not stick--I have a schizophrenic mouse cursor--changes type and color on each screen and when hovering over a hyperlink. Annoying...
2. Theme changing in Gnome--currently has to be done by copying the themes into the personal .themes folder; can be discouraging; will wait for a better simple and GUI based theme changer.

Otherwise, well done--feel very much like F15, but with the human touch of Ubuntu.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
cbowman57,

Thanks this is such a breath of fresh air for Ubuntu! Well done. It is fast, responsive and Adobe Flash player works without a glitch (Ubuntu Natty 11.04 x64 the flash is choppy--and I know there is a fix for this somewhere).

Glad you got it up & running, thanks.

My current challenges:
1. mouse cursor does not want to change to desired cursor--this is a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/786325) in ubuntu; command line
sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme also does not stick--I have a schizophrenic mouse cursor--changes type and color on each screen and when hovering over a hyperlink. Annoying...

Yeah, have to wait on Ubuntu to fix that one. Must only affect some systems though, I haven't noticed that.

2. Theme changing in Gnome--currently has to be done by copying the themes into the personal .themes folder; can be discouraging; will wait for a better simple and GUI based theme changer.

You only copy them once, and for shell themes, the theme@selector extension from fpmurphy does give you a graphical method for selecting them.

Otherwise, well done--feel very much like F15, but with the human touch of Ubuntu.

Thank you again. :)

millworm
June 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Yes I had UGR updates too,but nothing removed my network-manager,I have to say I'm on the v3 but this shouldn't matter.
I have a Laptop with the same version as you have,will check what happens when I update.
I'll 'be back in 10 minutes.

Yep you're right,this happens with a partial upgrade which removes your UGR desktop and replace it with the ubuntu-desktop.
Also your NEW network-manager will be replaced with the OLD one,which obvious doesn't work.
I did not do the upgrade thanks to you,I know what would happen when I did.

But the only advice I can give you is to re-install on top of it and REFUSE the partial upgrade,or wait till cbowman release the NEW 32bit version one of these days.
Or,if your machine is capable,download the x64 v3 and try that one,either way,I don't think replacing the network manager will get you to a working gnome-shell again,because you have installed the ubuntu-desktop and removed the UGR-desktop.

Thanks for the reply. However i didn't ubuntu-desktop or another network manager for me. It just upgraded something with ugr-desktop. With that upgrade it removed gnome-network-manager and something else. I hope a new update comes soon.

BTW: aint it possible to put the iso on USB-disk and add that to the repositories? Like you can with a cd? And install gnome-network-manager? Could that be done?

Or does someone have a ETA on the new release? Hehe. THanks

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Putting the final touches on gNatty i686 v3.1 right now. After that's completed it will just be a test boot & install to verify it, then should start seeding within 4 hours of this post. Since UGR is on 0.3.0 "Centaurus" right now this one is slightly more up to date than the 64-bit version (unless you've upgraded already), I also added b43cutter to this one in an attempt to provide broadcom wifi support to more laptops with the basic installation. For the most part it should be indistinguishable in terms of functionality from gNatty amd64 v3.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ok, going to try using http://openbittorrent.com/ for a tracker this time, for some reason linuxtracker.org says this file might already exist (must be an md5 hash thing).

The torrent file is attached, due to file size limitations I had to compress it into a tarball. Extract and open with your favorite bit torrent client. If this doesn't work I will have to find another legitimate torrent tracker site that will allow me to upload & register the torrent. If you can suggest one I would appreciate it.

Also available on fenopy.eu (http://fenopy.eu/torrent/gnatty+gnome+i686+v3+1+live/NzE1MzM1Mw?update=1308756219)

bulldog
June 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Ok, going to try using http://openbittorrent.com/ for a tracker this time, for some reason linuxtracker.org says this file might already exist (must be an md5 hash thing).

The torrent file is attached, due to file size limitations I had to compress it into a tarball. Extract and open with your favorite bit torrent client. If this doesn't work I will have to find another legitimate torrent tracker site that will allow me to upload & register the torrent. If you can suggest one I would appreciate it.

Also available on fenopy.eu (http://fenopy.eu/torrent/gnatty+gnome+i686+v3+1+live/NzE1MzM1Mw?update=1308756219)

The tar.gz works,just started downloading to get more seeders.

Some news from the extensions front,it's worth reading,

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/gnome-shell-extensions-to-get-website.html#more

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
@bulldog; thanks. The fenopy link should be good too.

I read that article on SweetTooth, looks like it will be really neat, can't wait to try it.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #1 has been updated, rearranged a bit, and the link for gNatty Gnome i686 v3.1 Live added.

If you already tried the 64-bit v3 this will feel immediately familiar, everything is virtually the same. There was one omission though, I forgot to install numlockx, so if you like having your numeric keypad on by default you might want to install that.

Gdm was downgraded & locked, you can either upgrade to the newer version the first time you do an upgrade, or using aptitude you can lock it by using sudo aptitude hold gdm as well as locking it in synaptic. I then suggest you use sudo aptitude safe-upgrade in the future so that it won't be overwritten. If there is a way to pin apps with apt-get I would appreciate someone telling me how to do it that way also. (Applies to v3 & v3.1)

silkworm2.5
June 22nd, 2011, 10:13 PM
Hi. I was wondering if you could help me please?

I tried installing gNatty 64 bit v3.0 onto my USB drive, but it fails to boot. It simply skips the USB drive, and proceeds directly to my GRUB screen.
I have tried Unetbootin, Startup disk creator, and the pendrivelinux live USB creator. None work. My BIOS is definitely set up properly,

Can anyone help please?

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hi. I was wondering if you could help me please?

I tried installing gNatty 64 bit v3.0 onto my USB drive, but it fails to boot. It simply skips the USB drive, and proceeds directly to my GRUB screen.
I have tried Unetbootin, Startup disk creator, and the pendrivelinux live USB creator. None work. My BIOS is definitely set up properly,

Can anyone help please?

So, when your system boots up it gives the option to boot from USB, you select USB and it goes straight to your grub menu?

If that's the case it sounds like the iso is corrupted & doesn't match the md5sum.

Now if it boots the system and just ignores your USB drive then it's something to do with your system (hardware). Can you hold the f9 key or something when it starts up to get a boot menu from bios?

silkworm2.5
June 22nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
When I hold F9 it displays a list of connected drives to boot from. the USB drive is listed, and has recently booted Fedora.
GTKhash shows that the Checksum is the same as the one included.

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
That is a puzzle, I always use Startup Disk Creator to burn my installation to test from & it works brilliantly. I use UNetbootin for the occasional stubborn iso's.

How about using GParted (or your favorite utility) to delete the partition & recreate it, just to be certain, then try it again. If the numbers match there shouldn't be any problem installing or booting from USB.

silkworm2.5
June 22nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
Yay, Gparted reports it can't find the partitions mount point, and won't let me unmount it to erase. Looks like my USB drive is corrupted. I'll try to fix it, then get back here if I can or can't get gNatty to work. Thanks for all the advice cbowman57!

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
You guys can call me Chuck if you want. ;)

Glad we found the culprit. Hopefully you can find a way to get it straightened out and give gNatty a try. I think I've encountered the same problem before, but can't remember how I cleaned it up. Couldn't have been too hard since I found a way to get it deleted. I may have used the Gnome Disk Utility but not certain of that.

cecilpierce
June 22nd, 2011, 11:47 PM
@bulldog; thanks. The fenopy link should be good too.

I read that article on SweetTooth, looks like it will be really neat, can't wait to try it.

Hi Chuck,
I read it to but where the heck do I get the DL to try it ?

cbowman57
June 22nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Hey Cecil, it's not a DL, strictly web based from what I can tell. It's not available yet so we'll have to keep our eyes open for it to come online. Sounds like it will be fairly soon but they are still ironing out some issues, security related mostly, from what I could understand.

cecilpierce
June 22nd, 2011, 11:59 PM
Oh well, have to break something else, yesterday all 8 of my linux crap died, thought it was the mother board, took it all apart, swapped things around and took it out back to the air hose to give it a BJ and now its working???
Wish I new what the prob was :(:(:(

cbowman57
June 23rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
I had some weirdness like that a couple weeks ago, first time I actually took my machine to a shop. He had to clean the crap out of it and I went ahead and replaced the MB & CPU anyway. He said there was crud caked on the back of the MB, for all I know it worked fine after he cleaned it up.

If I had it to do over again I would have just replaced the MB myself and upgraded but I was in a hurry and I was trying to throw him some business.

Oh, in my case, I think the gunk on the back of the board was soaking up our humid air and shorting across the IDE pins or something since that was the code that his hardware diagnostic tool kept pulling up, and the error kept popping up even with all the drives turned off in Bios. I booted from USB and it still kept crashing so I don't know if it was just a failing MB, even though it was less than a year old, or caused by the damp crud.

23dornot23d
June 23rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have downloaded v3.1 the latest 32 bit and am seeding it now ....
will leave it up as long as I can .....

image 272 kb

http://i.min.us/ibgZzo.gif

Been busy using the system now for 3D ..... suppose that tells you its very stable for me now .....
as I cannot work very well if the desktop does not work the way I like it to .....

silkworm2.5
June 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
You guys can call me Chuck if you want. ;)

Glad we found the culprit. Hopefully you can find a way to get it straightened out and give gNatty a try. I think I've encountered the same problem before, but can't remember how I cleaned it up. Couldn't have been too hard since I found a way to get it deleted. I may have used the Gnome Disk Utility but not certain of that.

I managed to fix it by using Gparted and testdisk to rebuild the MFT and now it works :)

Everything looks good here now! I like the Plymouth theme. The only problem I have is a lack of control buttons in Unity, but I have gNatty to get away from Unity anyway. :P

Thanks for the help Chuck!

cecilpierce
June 23rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
@Keith

Is that "Light-Cycle" the one you road down the hill from your house and dropped the camera ???

I liked your video's, beautiful country side, wish I was there :( Instead of this crazy city.

Im goin to the beach and ride the bike where there are still a few nice people :)
Later, Cec

23dornot23d
June 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Cecil .....

.... my bike is not quite as fast ..... as the Tron one except when I am going down a hill with no brakes ...... lols

( yep had to throw the camera in a bag to use the brakes ..... interesting going down hills with it ,,, )

..... glad you enjoyed the videos .....

I make the little videos for a friend in Newfoundland and she has a laugh at the silly things I do ;)
but loves the countryside in France which is similar to Newfoundland in many ways ..... except no moose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose) or bears.

But I do like ot get out on the bike and take a few photos and meet nice people too ... :D

cecilpierce
June 23rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hi Cecil .....

.... my bike is not quite as fast ..... as the Tron one except when I am going down a hill with no brakes ...... lols

( yep had to throw the camera in a bag to use the brakes ..... interesting going down hills with it ,,, )

..... glad you enjoyed the videos .....

I make the little videos for a friend in Newfoundland and she has a laugh at the silly things I do ;)

But I do like ot get out on the bike and take a few photos and meet nice people too ... :D

I wish everything was down hill, I run out of gas about 20 feet from the top of the bridge that I go up and then down so fast I have to ride the brakes or I might get a speeding ticket.
My grandson loves that light-cycle game...be back in a few hours, I hope !

Cec

millworm
June 23rd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks allot for the new release! :)

However; i want to ask people to seed. I'm stuck on 0.2 kB/sec on a 120 mB line lol

23dornot23d
June 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Am seeding just a lot of people on it at the moment (Italy seems popular again) .... maybe it will get better once a few have it downloaded

just try to keep it seeded afterwards if you can ....

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/441/seeding.jpg

Where are the other seeders .... Chuck .... ? only me hosting it now .... (1) seed

cbowman57
June 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
I have downloaded v3.1 the latest 32 bit and am seeding it now ....
will leave it up as long as I can .....

Been busy using the system now for 3D ..... suppose that tells you its very stable for me now .....
as I cannot work very well if the desktop does not work the way I like it to .....

Thanks, that's a really cool .gif.

cbowman57
June 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
I managed to fix it by using Gparted and testdisk to rebuild the MFT and now it works :)

Everything looks good here now! I like the Plymouth theme. The only problem I have is a lack of control buttons in Unity, but I have gNatty to get away from Unity anyway. :P

Thanks for the help Chuck!

Glad you got it fixed. The plymouth theme is courtesy of the UGR team, it does look nice, good blend of colors.

cbowman57
June 23rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks allot for the new release! :)

However; i want to ask people to seed. I'm stuck on 0.2 kB/sec on a 120 mB line lol

Hope it works well for you & you enjoy it. It does require some patience, especially in the first couple days because my connection is so slow.

@Keith, Well I haven't stopped seeding but noticed that it couldn't connect to the openbittorrent tracker for over an hour, but at least people were still downloading it. I probably show up now.

millworm
June 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Am seeding just a lot of people on it at the moment (Italy seems popular again) .... maybe it will get better once a few have it downloaded

just try to keep it seeded afterwards if you can ....

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/441/seeding.jpg

Where are the other seeders .... Chuck .... ? only me hosting it now .... (1) seed

Hehe i see my own IP.
Anyways, the only thing i do is upload, i hardly download :/

I'm using winblows atm because my network in gnome-shell aint working, that's why i need it badly!
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7253/naamloossfx.png

Hope it works well for you & you enjoy it. It does require some patience, especially in the first couple days because my connection is so slow.

@Keith, Well I haven't stopped seeding but noticed that it couldn't connect to the openbittorrent tracker for over an hour, but at least people were still downloading it. I probably show up now.

Ahh that's OK, thanks again for making such a wonderful release :-)

23dornot23d
June 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM

I must admit last night - Bulldog was downloading too .... it seems to stop and start ....
mine went to idle or pause state too .... so I restarted it ... but its on and off you have to watch it and restart it if stops ...... :confused:

Looks ok at the moment though and as you say once a few more have it - it will be ok.

cbowman57
June 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Very slow going, just posted it about 24 hours ago. Hopefully by the weekend it will have at least 8-10 full time seeds.

When I open the upload spigot it makes my internet unusable so I have to try & find a balance. Then I wonder, should I limit peers so it will be faster for the few, or add more and have it go even slower.

Too much stress. :lol:

millworm
June 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Ill try to add some (http) mirrors when i have it installed :smile:
ETA: 15hours :razz:

2 seeds and only 10 kB/sec

Downloading v2 with 1 mB/sec :/

cbowman57
June 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Ill try to add some (http) mirrors when i have it installed :smile:
ETA: 15hours :razz:

2 seeds and only 10 kB/sec

Downloading v2 with 1 mB/sec :/

Update v2 and it's basically the same. The installation instructions are just a little more complicated.

v3 & 3.1 are just a lot cleaner & easier to install. Very pleased with these last two.

23dornot23d
June 23rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
There are 4 seeds now and its going a little faster ..... should be better now........ ;)

All mine are 30 to 40kb / sec ..... but not sure why its not allowing more.

Have opened up the speeds fully and super seeding too think it may be due to a oneiric update I did
will restart it as it needs to be updated ......

108 kb/sec for the ones there .... now (Trinidad and Tobago)

cbowman57
June 24th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Does anyone else get tired of reading through the forum and seeing people that should know better tell others that Gnome 3.0 shell & Unity can't coexist within the same installation?

How "buggy" do you think Gnome 3.0 is at this time? I've been reading lots of comments to that effect & I'm just not experiencing them.

Beginning to wonder if I'm the exception and I somehow managed to have just exactly the perfect mix of hardware or something that hides all the bugs from me. :)

shuttleworthwannabe
June 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
There are 4 seeds now and its going a little faster ..... should be better now........ ;)

All mine are 30 to 40kb / sec ..... but not sure why its not allowing more.

Have opened up the speeds fully and super seeding too think it may be due to a oneiric update I did
will restart it as it needs to be updated ......

108 kb/sec for the ones there .... now (Trinidad and Tobago)

Hi there--it took me a while to get the full DVD sized ISO downloaded-something like 2 nights (I let it run over 2 nights; stopped during the day).

millworm
June 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hmm i've finished overnight, finally got it installed again! Hallelujah!

I do have some problems whatsoever. Whenever i install extensions my system crashes at login, do i need to do something before applying extensions?

Edit: My fault -> something wrong in glib-2.0 dir.

Thanks

23dornot23d
June 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hi there--it took me a while to get the full DVD sized ISO downloaded-something like 2 nights (I let it run over 2 nights; stopped during the day).
Glad to see that you got it alright .....
I was awake all last night watching it and trying to ensure that it stays up and running .....
There are a few seeds now and its odd with these torrents - sometimes they seem to pick up and run
perfectly from the Linuxtracker site and other times the seeded and peers end up in brackets to the
side ..........

( seems to be when this happens for whatever reason that the torrent does not run as well )
( I did ask the question on the site but as of yet have had no reply as to why it does it )
( but I am just happy that they run the service - as it does seem to be one of the easier ones to use )

Does anyone else get tired of reading through the forum and seeing people that should know better tell others that Gnome 3.0 shell & Unity can't coexist within the same installation?

[ unity ( which is a plugin for compiz )]
[ gnome-shell ..... which runs on MUTTER ]

The thing that they both have in common is that they both run on is the same kernel.

--------------------------------------------------

This is one thing that does annoy me - as many times now I have posted videos where I
show that I can swap quite happily between the two systems ..... :D
and as you and I know the two systems will run quite happily together.

I have launchers on the desktop for unity --replace and compiz --replace
( and of course to get back gnome-shell --replace ) switch when I want from system to system
and its got better as time as gone on too ...... much faster for me now .....

As the wording implies - replace ...... when we run the commands what happens is the systems are replaced and should not interfere with each other if the developers have written the code for one - it should not affect the other.

If for instance someone has a case where it does affect the other - then it should be highlighted and we will track it down as a problem - up to this moment in time I have NOT seen one ........

Beginning to wonder if I'm the exception and I somehow managed to have just exactly the perfect mix of hardware or something that hides all the bugs from me. :smile:
Well thats 2 of us .....

How "buggy" do you think Gnome 3.0 is at this time? I've been reading lots of comments to that effect & I'm just not experiencing them.

( It did concern me the time you mentioned the Network manager and I did see this on a friends computer - wireless showing up the NETWORK but not picking it up to use it - that was the only time I noticed a big problem and that I would hope should be fixed now - other than that extensions and themes being put in the wrong places sometimes with wrong privileges can cause problems but should not be show stoppers as in the past - removing them and replacing them soon sorts things out.)

If something annoys me .....
I soon bring it to the forefront as I dislike errors immensely and want them sorting properly .....
problems have been solved and its happened all the way through the process here and we can see it .....

That is more important to me ...... people are here to help ..... and that they try their hardest to do so ......

I am using gnome-shell for my Production machine and have been for a while now.

( I would not be doing that if it was buggy )

_albatros
June 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hi,
now I use Ubuntu 11.04 and GNOME Shell.
Does it make sense I would install your distribution? I have a separate /home partition so it should not be a problem?

Regards,
albatros

Roasted
June 24th, 2011, 02:13 PM

Beginning to wonder if I'm the exception and I somehow managed to have just exactly the perfect mix of hardware or something that hides all the bugs from me. :)

Unity is Gnome 2.X based. Shell is Gnome 3.0 based. That's the only reason they clash, because once you bring Gnome 3.0 up to speed, Unity tanks. Ubuntu 11.10 will bring a different experience, when Unity is based on Gnome 3.0. They should be able to co-exist then.

23dornot23d
June 24th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Unity is Gnome 2.X based. Shell is Gnome 3.0 based. That's the only reason they clash, because once you bring Gnome 3.0 up to speed, Unity tanks. Ubuntu 11.10 will bring a different experience,
The fact UNITY cannot operate in Gnome 3.0 is a UNITY problem .... not a gnome-shell one.

when Unity is based on Gnome 3.0. They should be able to co-exist then.
This of course is true .... and gnome-shell can quite easily drop back to Gnome 2.32 mode where both can live happy together ......

and if you go into 11.10 oneiric ..... you can see how much effort they are putting in to make sure that UNITY and GNOME_SHELL will still work happily together (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1789394)..... and what they think of the GNOME3 integration.

The new Lightdm ..... not sure if there is a option for Gnome-shell built into it yet ......
The global menu system ...... not sure that there is a switch being made to easily swap it on or off .....

cbowman57
June 24th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hmm i've finished overnight, finally got it installed again! Hallelujah!

I do have some problems whatsoever. Whenever i install extensions my system crashes at login, do i need to do something before applying extensions?

Edit: My fault -> something wrong in glib-2.0 dir.

Thanks

It's running ok now then? Good.

cbowman57
June 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hi,
now I use Ubuntu 11.04 and GNOME Shell.
Does it make sense I would install your distribution? I have a separate /home partition so it should not be a problem?

Regards,
albatros

Not really, if your setup works I'd go with that. About the only extra thing I've done is package some themes & extensions that work on it, and are available separately. If you already put together your own I don't think there is any advantage to doing a fresh install.

cbowman57
June 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Unity is Gnome 2.X based. Shell is Gnome 3.0 based. That's the only reason they clash, because once you bring Gnome 3.0 up to speed, Unity tanks. Ubuntu 11.10 will bring a different experience, when Unity is based on Gnome 3.0. They should be able to co-exist then.

All I know is that I can boot into Unity & it works, I can boot into Gnome shell & it works. For me it's an either/or proposition though, I'm comfortable with gnome shell, unity never felt quite right and now I don't even try to use it anymore.

cbowman57
June 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Ok, got the torrent to work on linuxtracker.org, added it to post #1.

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=e6dc6e4804becbb8c5f8fa6d45c3c1cb7ee65adc

For those of you that have 100% (or close) of that file I have an odd request, see if you can download the torrent from the linuxtracker site and seed it to them also. I didn't think it possible but Transmission allowed me to keep both the openbittorrent & linuxtracker torrents so I can seed both simultaneously.

I've been corresponding with Carl over at linuxtracker trying to figure out what happened and how to avoid the confusion in the future. I really appreciated him sending me email and saying, "hey, you gonna seed this or not, people are waiting" (words to that effect). Without that people would have become frustrated and it would have reflected on this spin.

Thanks guys.

Ok, just want the torrent downloaded. I know with Transmission you can point it to the directory already downloaded and it will verify and allow you to seed it. You shouldn't have to download the whole package again. :)

cbowman57
June 24th, 2011, 06:02 PM
[ unity ( which is a plugin for compiz )]
[ gnome-shell ..... which runs on MUTTER ]

The thing that they both have in common is that they both run on is the same kernel.

--------------------------------------------------

This is one thing that does annoy me - as many times now I have posted videos where I
show that I can swap quite happily between the two systems ..... :D
and as you and I know the two systems will run quite happily together.

I have launchers on the desktop for unity --replace and compiz --replace
( and of course to get back gnome-shell --replace ) switch when I want from system to system
and its got better as time as gone on too ...... much faster for me now .....

As the wording implies - replace ...... when we run the commands what happens is the systems are replaced and should not interfere with each other if the developers have written the code for one - it should not affect the other.

If for instance someone has a case where it does affect the other - then it should be highlighted and we will track it down as a problem - up to this moment in time I have NOT seen one ........

Well thats 2 of us .....

( It did concern me the time you mentioned the Network manager and I did see this on a friends computer - wireless showing up the NETWORK but not picking it up to use it - that was the only time I noticed a big problem and that I would hope should be fixed now - other than that extensions and themes being put in the wrong places sometimes with wrong privileges can cause problems but should not be show stoppers as in the past - removing them and replacing them soon sorts things out.)

If something annoys me .....
I soon bring it to the forefront as I dislike errors immensely and want them sorting properly .....
problems have been solved and its happened all the way through the process here and we can see it .....

That is more important to me ...... people are here to help ..... and that they try their hardest to do so ......

I am using gnome-shell for my Production machine and have been for a while now.

( I would not be doing that if it was buggy )

Ok, well I try to respond when & where I can to dispel some of the myths.

I never looked under the hood to see what you put in the launcher to switch from DE to DE, that's pretty neat. :)

That network manager problem was shortlived as I remember & was cured simply by adding the ricotz/testing ppa to upgrade to his (then) current package.

bulldog
June 24th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Ok, got the torrent to work on linuxtracker.org, added it to post #1.

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=e6dc6e4804becbb8c5f8fa6d45c3c1cb7ee65adc

For those of you that have 100% (or close) of that file I have an odd request, see if you can download the torrent from the linuxtracker site and seed it to them also. I didn't think it possible but Transmission allowed me to keep both the openbittorrent & linuxtracker torrents so I can seed both simultaneously.

I've been corresponding with Carl over at linuxtracker trying to figure out what happened and how to avoid the confusion in the future. I really appreciated him sending me email and saying, "hey, you gonna seed this or not, people are waiting" (words to that effect). Without that people would have become frustrated and it would have reflected on this spin.

Thanks guys.

Ok, just want the torrent downloaded. I know with Transmission you can point it to the directory already downloaded and it will verify and allow you to seed it. You shouldn't have to download the whole package again. :)

Downloaded the new torrent and now it seeds above 100KiB/s,the other one wasn't doing better than an average of twenty.

cbowman57
June 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks bulldog.

cbowman57
June 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Found this link (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/198) over on the Linux Mint facebook page, gives instructions on how to build LMDE from scratch, using Debian. Anyhow, the thing that fascinated me was the liquorix kernel, so I had to install it, and I have to say I am impressed so far, this thing is quick.

These are the instructions for the 64-bit version but with a little browsing I'm sure it could be adapted for the 32-bit version.

Liquorix
I also want to point out Liquorix. It's a kernel built upon the Zen Kernel sources, designed for desktop usage over server usage. You'll notice that Debian's default kernels are optimized for servers (basically, they're optimized for thoroughput over latency), and you want a kernel that feels more responsive and faster. The Liquorix kernels are also more up-to-date than the kernels you'll find in Debian Testing, so it's a lazy but effective way of running a new kernel but not having the patience or time to compile a newer kernel yourself. :P

$ gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Append "deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main" (yes, "sid") at the bottom of your sources.list. Save and close Gedit.
$ sudo apt-get install liquorix-keyring
(Fetch Liquorix's keyrings)
$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6-liquorix-amd64 linux-image-2.6-liquorix-amd64
And reboot into your new kernel after you're done to give it a try.
I also did the export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none trick in the ~/.profile file the other day, I know it's supposed to be an ATI fix but on my Nvidia card it seems faster.

If any of you try this let me know what you think.

Here is a link straight to the liquorix website with a clear set of instructions http://liquorix.net/

sanderd17
June 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
These are the instructions for the 64-bit version but with a little browsing I'm sure it could be adapted for the 32-bit version.

For 32-bit you just need to replace the "amd64" string in the package names by "686". If seems to install, I'm gonna see if I can reboot with that kernel and if I notice a difference.

cbowman57
June 25th, 2011, 04:00 PM
For 32-bit you just need to replace the "amd64" string in the package names by "686". If seems to install, I'm gonna see if I can reboot with that kernel and if I notice a difference.

If you don't reappear I guess we'll know the experiment failed. :)

sanderd17
June 25th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I always have the older kernel :D

The kernel worked (and was slightly faster), but my wireless driver wasn't included. So I'm back on the older kernel.

I would have to search how to install my wireless again.

cbowman57
June 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I always have the older kernel :D

The kernel worked (and was slightly faster), but my wireless driver wasn't included. So I'm back on the older kernel.

I would have to search how to install my wireless again.

Ah, yes, that would be a problem. I used to have to make & install the drivers for my ralink every time I changed kernels.

At least you did confirm that it feels quicker. Back when I used to try and compile my own kernels I'd always set it for desktop performance, but while I built some that would boot it always seemed that it would break something, sound mostly, but I built quite a few that wouldn't boot at all. :)

cbowman57
June 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
On post #1 I've labeled v1 & 2 as obsolete. Considering deleting it from the tracker.

Any good reasons why I should leave it available?

Also deleted Natty Gnome (the original), can't see a point in having it circulated with v3 available now.

cbowman57
June 25th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Just threw together a version built on top of the Xubuntu iso, added the export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none line to .profile, the liquorix kernel & added preload. This machine flies now, rather impressed so far.

23dornot23d
June 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM
On post #1 I've labeled v1 & 2 as obsolete. Considering deleting it from the tracker.

Any good reasons why I should leave it available?

Also deleted Natty Gnome (the original), can't see a point in having it circulated with v3 available now.
My own opinion - keep moving this thing forward and don't look back ......

I have backups of everything we ever produced here ..... although they take up space - one day they may become like the spectrum or zx81.

who knows ....

keep on pushing forwards .... this thing is unsinkable .... like the Titanic ..... :lolflag:

I keep looking at UNITY and how fast that is progressing ..... awesome .... one day it will not crash and burn.

On a more serious note ..... we are pushing against the waves now ... but to me its good fun ...

I thought about a holiday in France for all the people I like on here .... Vin Dsl ... Cariboo ... CBowman ... Bulldog and My friend Cecil and a few others too ....

one day we should have a few beers together ....... who knows stranger things happen in life .... ;)

A good BBQ and a few beers ...

We will either end up fighting or being best of friends ....

or both ...... ;)

cbowman57
June 25th, 2011, 08:43 PM
@Keith; :lol: you just never know.

23dornot23d
June 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Look forward to anyone that takes up a challenge ... ;)

You are a biker like me ..... VFR 750 Red .... was my last one .... we are all the same at heart ...

Dont forget to bring the computer and plenty of beers though ....

we speak more serious **** when we are drunk ...

(no doubt we will forget it the very next day though)

bulldog
June 25th, 2011, 11:47 PM

You are a biker like me ..... VFR 750 Red .... was my last one .... we are all the same at heart ...

Like that thought about a holiday,France is a beautiful country.

Are you guys ride a motorcycle as well?

Me too,a red VTR1000F,had this one for almost 10 years now.
Started with a Kawasaki 500 Mach 3 in 1977,a two stroke engine and very fast,enjoyed this one for 6 months,then it broke down,and I bought me a more sensible one.
A Honda 250cc Four stroke.

Aaahhh.... those where the days....

23dornot23d
June 26th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Wow nice .... good work keeping it going all that time .....

and now a ...

May be a little too far for a 250 ....

I am in a Brittany and no longer have a motor bike .... but if you want to travel over here you are welcome .... if you are up for camping ... or roughing it a little .....

Kitchen ..... Computers .... Beers Wine and Food ...... ;)

I have had ...
XL250 honda trail bike ....Yamaha XJ600 ... Honda 700 VFR American import blue .... and a Red VFR750 ....I should too consider getting a 250 again .... good all round bikes ... and sensible fuel consumption too.

Meanwhile back at the ranch the Iso is going well too .... 15 or so downloads ...

cecilpierce
June 26th, 2011, 02:38 AM
OMG ! you guy are bringing back good ole memories my first was a 1952 Norton 500 single, I called it the "thumper" cause it idled so slow the front fork would bounce up and down !
if you looked at the jug your eye could follow the piston going up and down, wish I still had that bomb.

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM

We'll have to find something else to drink, I've never been a beer drinker, even the 3+ years I was in Germany.

But yeah, we'd probably forget most of the conversation by the next day. :)

I'd really like to take my bike over there.

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Like that thought about a holiday,France is a beautiful country.

Are you guys ride a motorcycle as well?

Started with a Kawasaki 500 Mach 3 in 1977,a two stroke engine and very fast,enjoyed this one for 6 months,then it broke down,and I bought me a more sensible one.

Aaahhh.... those where the days....

These days I'm riding a 2003 Buell Xb9R Firebolt, bought it new Nov 2002. It's been a great bike, a bike holiday in France would be fantastic. Guess I better start playing the lottery. :)

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
OMG ! you guy are bringing back good ole memories my first was a 1952 Norton 500 single, I called it the "thumper" cause it idled so slow the front fork would bounce up and down !
if you looked at the jug your eye could follow the piston going up and down, wish I still had that bomb.

Those old British bikes really were thumpers. I had a couple bikes that I wish I'd kept. Oh well, water under the bridge now.

bulldog
June 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Very nice,I've had a BSA 350 from 1956 for some time,if I could get the damn thing started [kickstarter which would backfire a lot] it was beautiful,riding the bike with a lot of tools in a bag on the duo seat..........hoping you could get back home again,sadly I sold the bike on a young bloke who tried riding it without oil,end of a BSA old timer.
But still riding if I have the time,been in France about 10 times,mostly the south though.
Now a days I go to Luxembourg and Germany for the holidays,nice too and much closer to home ;)

@23dornot23d
Yep 16 times downloaded so far and thanks for the invitation,and yes,camping is my thing,maybe I will do so,it's been a few years since I've been in France :D

bulldog
June 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM
These days I'm riding a 2003 Buell Xb9R Firebolt, bought it new Nov 2002. It's been a great bike, a bike holiday in France would be fantastic. Guess I better start playing the lottery. :)

That is a nice bike too,had some thoughts about one,when they came available here in Holland,but kept the Honda,don't know why....maybe I get to much used to the Japanese bikes.

bulldog
June 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM
The 64 bit version is going as well :)

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
That is a nice bike too,had some thoughts about one,when they came available here in Holland,but kept the Honda,don't know why....maybe I get to much used to the Japanese bikes.

I only owned 2 Japanese bikes, both Honda's, a 1967 M50 that I learned to ride on, and a 1972 CL350 that I bought when I got my license.

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 09:03 AM
The 64 bit version is going as well :)

Good, I'm really happy with those 2. I just threw one together today built on Xubuntu, really impressed with it, or it's just the effect of the liquorix kernel. It was snappy before but now it's even faster. Has a really nice feel to it. I purged it of Ubuntuone & Unity, don't know if that might have something to do with it.

bulldog
June 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Good, I'm really happy with those 2. I just threw one together today built on Xubuntu, really impressed with it, or it's just the effect of the liquorix kernel. It was snappy before but now it's even faster. Has a really nice feel to it. I purged it of Ubuntuone & Unity, don't know if that might have something to do with it.

About that liquorix kernel,can I use that one in the v3 without problems,or is there more to it.
I don't want to risk this install though,I'm happy with it and want to keep it for a while as my main desktop.
Did install the v3 yesterday on two more computers and have to manage the owners a little,they're not that advanced linux users.
Will try a tool called Teamviewer,
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx
and see if that is of some use,if there are troubles,I know for sure they get it broken somehow :),but that's the risk I took when I installed the v3 on their computers.

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM
About that liquorix kernel,can I use that one in the v3 without problems,or is there more to it.
I don't want to risk this install though,I'm happy with it and want to keep it for a while as my main desktop.

Yes, you can install it on v3. It leaves your existing kernel alone so if it does cause a problem you can stil access it from the grub menu by selecting the other kernel.

Did install the v3 yesterday on two more computers and have to manage the owners a little,they're not that advanced linux users.
Will try a tool called Teamviewer,
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx
and see if that is of some use,if there are troubles,I know for sure they get it broken somehow :),but that's the risk I took when I installed the v3 on their computers.

That's great, glad you find it an easy install. :)

bulldog
June 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I'll give it a try one of these days,thank you.
The install of v3 is very easy,mostly I use a USB stick,but on some older computers you can't boot from USB,so I have a DVD as well.
Works all the time.
As I sad before,this is a great release and I spam it around :)

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 10:08 AM
:)

bulldog
June 26th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Teamviewer looks promising,it claims you can do file transfer as well,install the package on both computers and you can contact each other simply give the displayed numbers by phone or email.

Definitely will try this one out.

[v3 is going to Sweden as well]

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Teamviewer looks promising,it claims you can do file transfer as well,install the package on both computers and you can contact each other simply give the displayed numbers by phone or email.

Definitely will try this one out.

[v3 is going to Sweden as well]

Teamviewer looks pretty nice, caught it in the screenshot. Looks like you got a handle on using those extensions, see you added the system monitor, I never tried that one that I remember. I think I assumed that it would conflict with all the others but I see it doesn't. And you had no problem localizing the weather.

It's funny, I posted in another tread tonight and said basically, if we were talking applets instead of extensions do you think gnome 2 users would even notice that big a difference.

bulldog
June 26th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'll try the extensions out,even if I'm not a huge fan :p.
But I want to know what I'm talking about,so I put them on for a few days to see if I use them.
Weather and system-monitor where no problem at all,just some reading and you're basically done.

I have the idea people talk about gnome-shell without looking into it.
I mean,why are there no more people around this thread?
I post links everywhere but see nobody coming,or would they be shy?

Maybe they know all what is to know already :D

I love Gnome-Shell,it has limitations in comparison with the gnome2 desktop,but it's catching up very fast,and I definitely stick with it!

millworm
June 26th, 2011, 11:40 AM
As promised i started uploading to several file-hosts, to find out most are not working properly. I'm now uploading the file for the fourth time to a French host. Hope it works this time... Pfff

millworm
June 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Mirror: http://wj439x.alterupload.com/

To download click
Cliquez ici pour tÚlÚcharger gNatty Gnome i686 v3.1 Live.tar.gz (http://glb-b2.alterupload.com/get/wj439x/gNatty%20Gnome%20i686%20v3.1%20Live.tar.gz)

If someone knows better filehosts, reply!

bulldog
June 26th, 2011, 12:19 PM

To download click
Cliquez ici pour tÚlÚcharger gNatty Gnome i686 v3.1 Live.tar.gz (http://glb-b2.alterupload.com/get/wj439x/gNatty%20Gnome%20i686%20v3.1%20Live.tar.gz)

You're effort is appreciated,and no,I'm not familiar with file hosting,so you are on your own :)

But I like what you're doing.

BTW,you can set this French page to the English language.

23dornot23d
June 26th, 2011, 01:38 PM
We'll have to find something else to drink, I've never been a beer drinker, even the 3+ years I was in Germany.

But yeah, we'd probably forget most of the conversation by the next day. :smile:

I'd really like to take my bike over there.
Would be good would be concerned about the safety of people that come over here ....

The roads from the right have priority ..... when there are no road markings .....
( many roads do have road makings now give way or stop - but its one law that took some
getting used to and can catch people out )

As for drinks I am sure there will be something ....... here that takes your fancy .....

Love the old bikes .... never had one - but did get the chance to ride a Triumph Boneville 650 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Bonneville) as a lad.

@23dornot23d
Yep 16 times downloaded so far and thanks for the invitation,and yes,camping is my thing,maybe I will do so,it's been a few years since I've been in France :grin:
Any time you fancy it just pop a PM through to me .... ;)

To download click

That is a fast download link for me .... less than 1 hour and half for the download .....

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/9305/download1ql.jpg

I have been pretty busy just using the systems now and there seems very little needs
sorting out guess we could say this is stable now ......

Going out for a bike ride now ..... but the pedal kind ...... heat wave here today .... ;)

cecilpierce
June 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Heat wave here for awhile to Keith, it was 108F in the back yard but the weather appelet says 91! HAHA, not by my gauge.

When I put the weather-appelet in from Chuck I forgot to change the TX thingy and noticed his tem was the same in Rockford as here in Miami, but at least we have a breeze in the shade

:guitar:

cbowman57
June 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM

To download click

Thanks millworm.

23dornot23d
June 26th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Heat wave here for awhile to Keith, it was 108F in the back yard but the weather appelet says 91! HAHA, not by my gauge.
Really has been too hot today ... and midnight here now and still too hot .... computer is
65C .... and on a night time is usually down at 55C .....
( But have been doing some intense scrabble on it ..... :confused: )

This kernel is so good too 3.0.0. generic .
( runs a good 4 degrees lower than it ever did before )
plus the later Nvidia Driver from Xorg-Edgers .... but this is on my laptop Nvidia 9300 GS M

Seen 55C consistently now on startup for the NVIDIA temp .... and was always 59 to 60 before .... so something good has happened .

cecilpierce
June 27th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Weather-indicator says 29c 84f at the airport but in the room here its 30c, 86f and my GPU is 63c, kinda hot and I have the side open to let out some of the heat, Its a GForce 6200 but no fan.
Since I cleaned out the power supply the air coming out feels a lot cooler though.

cbowman57
June 27th, 2011, 01:56 AM
@Keith; you're using the Nvidia 275.09 driver? When I try to use it all of my icons are displayed as the Transmission icon. Found a lot of people with the same bug but didn't find a fix for it. Must be working good for you though, I just downgraded to the 270 driver & everything is good.

cbowman57
June 27th, 2011, 02:08 AM
If you guys are seeding v1 or v2 you can stop if you want to, I deleted them from the linuxtracker. We're moving forward, no sense hanging on to dead weight.

If you feel you want to keep them in circulation for whatever reason open the torrent via your client software and add this to the tracker list: udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

23dornot23d
June 27th, 2011, 02:38 AM
@Keith; you're using the Nvidia 275.09 driver? When I try to use it all of my icons are displayed as the Transmission icon. Found a lot of people with the same bug but didn't find a fix for it. Must be working good for you though, I just downgraded to the 270 driver & everything is good.
Will look at this next time I am in that version but you are right that is the Nvidia driver I use in the Onereic one ....

I am using Sabayon at the moment .... wanted to see their views on Gnome-Shell ..... and how far they had got with it.

But at the moment the version I have installed is not showing Gnome-Shell in it .... although
they do mention a version 5.1 disk that has it included.
( I like looking around to see whats going on else where SCREENSHOT (http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/5565/screenshot11x.jpg) )

If you guys are seeding v1 or v2 you can stop if you want to, I deleted them from the linuxtracker. We're moving forward, no sense hanging on to dead weight.

I like it ..... ;)

cbowman57
June 27th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I've played with Sabayon before, nice & fast as I remember. Let me know how gnome shell looks in it when you get it up & running.

23dornot23d
June 27th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Sabayon is fast by the way and its very stable .... did all the upgrades last two nights over
1 Gig and its still running spot on ..... its not taking as many risks as others though ....
and the forum is so so quiet their .... they hardly speak of the Gnome-Shell

Will do back into the Gnome-Shell in Ubuntu though ..... where do you want me to look .....

Heres a current screenshot ....

SCREENSHOT (http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/11/menuadded2.jpg)

Should I add any more extensions ?

cbowman57
June 27th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Will do back into the Gnome-Shell in Ubuntu though ..... where do you want me to look .....

Heres a current screenshot ....

SCREENSHOT (http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/11/menuadded2.jpg)

Should I add any more extensions ?

Ah, it affects my app@indicator extension, doesn't look like you run that one. Would be upper right, just left of the status menu. I use that to display Transmission & gnome-gmail-notifier.

23dornot23d
June 27th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I will add it and add a screenshot here .... in a minute ,,,

Screenshot (http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6766/menuadded3.jpg) ... added the app indicator ....addon .....

dont forget I cannot see the top 1/2inch of the screen .... things only show up on a
screenshot .... but I cannot see them to pick them easily .... ( stupid TV )

Screenshot 2 (http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8727/menuadded4.jpg)

Screenshot 3 (http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7109/menuadded6.jpg)

Give it one thing this is the most I have had running in Oneiric .... looking good so far

Screenshot 4 (http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5137/menuadded9.jpg)

I like the Network .... really good .....

Although I am running Oneiric this at the moment is dropped back to 2.32 so it
may not be a full test as such ..... will try that later on ...

Screenshot 5 (http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/1000/menuadded10.jpg)

This is a problem .... and I have encountered this 3 times now ..... if I try a
screen shot with the menu open this happens ....

Screenshot 6 its only visible on the screenshot though .... (http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9365/menuadded18.jpg)

All looks ok on the screen >>> when doing the screenshot ..... bizarre .... but that is my biggest problem so far .....

I am waiting for Oneiric Alpha before upgrading it all ..... again

Not sure I can show you what you want to see yet ..... but everything runs ok

Have decided to upgrade fully .... onward and upward .... may not return if this
does not reboot .... and the graphics looks to be a problem now .... no DKMS.
will try to rectify before the reboot though ...

Fail BLCR ... not rebooted yet ....

cecilpierce
June 27th, 2011, 05:28 AM
All of a sudden gNatty V1 goes to black screen with blinking cursor and I have to go to VT and do startx but V2 works OK ???

Cec

23dornot23d
June 27th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Have you done any upgrades recently ....

..... cairo-dock has been killed off

I have a Remastersys backup ..... but upgrades are not good at the moment for me

By upgrade I mean the Ubuntu one from the repositories - not the v3.1 as that is fine .....

Back to this again in 11.10 .... nothing has changed ..... same error .... as I had a couple of weeks back now .....

@keith-MS-7181:~$ gnome-shell --replace
JS ERROR: !!! WARNING: 'assignment to undeclared variable file'
JS ERROR: !!! WARNING: file '/home/keith/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/user-theme@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org/extension.js' line 29 exception 0 number 156
Window manager warning: Log level 6: applications.menu not found.
gnome-shell-calendar-server[9330]: Got HUP on stdin - exiting
Trace/breakpoint trap

Was working perfectly well 30 mins ago ...... just done the upgrade not now ..... mmmm

Ok for a change of scenery et al - restarted now from the FEDORA 15 (http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/6176/screenshothl.png) ..... will have a look at this ....
picked up a problem on one of my drives from smartmon now thats interesting ....
Ubuntu never flagged it up.

What a fast installation .... already liking this .... and picked up my 3 displays ....

Once you have it set up for Nvidia using the link for easy setup no problems.

So now in Fedora 15 ....

SCREENSHOT (http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/1228/screenshot11za.jpg)

cecilpierce
June 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
What kinda thread is this any way, everybody is offline :p

Just DL v3.1 and seeding, only one left with 85%
It crapped out for awhile but I paused it and restart and its going again.
I still cant get my v1 to boot without tty-startx, thats aggravating so I guess I will dump it for 3.1, oh well u guys have a nice nap !!! :popcorn:

Guess every one is out ridin bikes and Im setting here going blind, geez!

23dornot23d
June 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I am back on ... just been to sleep for a few hours ......

It was a long night last night and although I sill have some versions of Ubuntu left to work
with ......( or I can re-install )

You should be fine with gNatty v3.1

I advise people to watch carefully when upgrading though ..... as its happened in 11.04 and 11.10
to me now ..... the programs that are added only look after UNITY as far as I can tell.

I was very impressed with how quickly I installed and adapted to the Fedora way ....

Just everything works on Fedora too all of the Extensions and all of the Themes out
of the gNatty Pack ...... was amazed not struggling at all anymore .....

Conky is the only thing that seems not to be quite right ....... but it runs ....

Cairo-dock runs ..... and all my 3D programs run alright .....

What really helped too .... was this LINK - Easylife for Fedora (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1789789)

Just tick a load of boxes and it installs everything you need ....

I still cant get my v1 to boot without tty-startx, thats aggravating so I guess I will dump it for 3.1, oh well u guys have a nice

@ Cecil you should be fine with this version .... just be careful with any updrades ..... once you have it stable
look carefully at what the system is changing .....

sanderd17
June 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Has anyone discovered Easter eggs in Gnome3 (or gnome shell) yet?

I tried ALT+F2 and execute "free the fish" but it didn't seem to work any more. I'm curious if they included new Easer eggs.

silkworm2.5
June 27th, 2011, 09:39 PM
D8 How could I forget?
Thanks for doing this Chuck! It looks and works great!

EDIT: It may be worth mentioning that by using the command "sudo passwd" in a terminal on the live CD will password the root account, giving people the option to try the different desktops.

cecilpierce
June 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Well I finally got v3.1 installed after burning 2 dvds, errors galore, tried braseo and k3b, checksum was good just wouldnt work, ended up with startup disk creator and its working great.

Did notice a 'useer-theme' in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extension, never seen that before, what does it do ?
Well gona play with it for awhile and see what goes :)

23dornot23d
June 27th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Has anyone discovered Easter eggs in Gnome3 (or gnome shell) yet?

I tried ALT+F2 and execute "free the fish" but it didn't seem to work any more. I'm curious if they included new Easer eggs.

Just found the link here .... LINK (http://www.linuxtutorialblog.com/post/gnome-easter-egg-free-the-fish) and have seen the little fish before too ... :lolflag:

swims all over on this one but used to be just on Cairo-dock someone probably included it in one of the themes I installed once ..... is annoying after a while though ... ;)

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 03:42 AM
What kinda thread is this any way, everybody is offline :p

I still cant get my v1 to boot without tty-startx, thats aggravating so I guess I will dump it for 3.1, oh well u guys have a nice nap !!! :popcorn:

Sorry Cecil, been at the beach for the past few days. It's a tough life but somebody has to do it. :)

I've got no idea why v1 crapped out on you, maybe one of the extra ppa's I had in it, not sure. v3 & 3.1 have minimal ppa's, which might help it survive your tweaking. :)

I have just been moving on with each release so not sure how the early ones hold up. This last one is the best yet IMO, but right now I'm using the v3 setup but built on top of Xubuntu, the only unity files in it are the ones that the ugr meta package pulled in. I'm pretty much set on using gnome shell from here on out.

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Well I finally got v3.1 installed after burning 2 dvds, errors galore, tried braseo and k3b, checksum was good just wouldnt work, ended up with startup disk creator and its working great.

Did notice a 'useer-theme' in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extension, never seen that before, what does it do ?
Well gona play with it for awhile and see what goes :)

That extension is required to give theme support. Without that you couldn't use gnome tweak tool to change themes AFIK, the theme selector extension might not work either.

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 03:49 AM
D8 How could I forget?
Thanks for doing this Chuck! It looks and works great!

EDIT: It may be worth mentioning that by using the command "sudo passwd" in a terminal on the live CD will password the root account, giving people the option to try the different desktops.

Thanks. I didn't think about sudo passwd command, I guess if people are really interested in getting the most out of that iso they'll have to scan this thread. :)

cecilpierce
June 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM
@Chuck "Sorry Cecil, been at the beach for the past few days"

What happened, did the family throw ya out of the house ?
Hope you had a lap-top, watch the salt water, its bad on the battery :p

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM
@Chuck "Sorry Cecil, been at the beach for the past few days"

What happened, did the family throw ya out of the house ?
Hope you had a lap-top, watch the salt water, its bad on the battery :p

Nobody threw me out of the house, my son, sister & bro-in-law all descend on the beach Sunday night and have been staying til Tuesday, that's my son's "weekend". No computers allowed, just sun, surf, food & some adult beverages.

This weekend might start Thursday and extend into next Tuesday though, because of Independence Day I'll probably have to occupy a spot before the actual weekend or there might not be one available.

cecilpierce
June 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Glad to hear that, was kidding! I wanted to go to the beach this morning but rain storms are here so I guess its watch TV and play on the computer.
Still no sound on two out three O.O's installs but your v3.1 sound all works, searched the forums and google for a fix and NOTHIN! fixes it, I hate pulse-audio !@#$%^&*...

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Glad to hear that, was kidding! I wanted to go to the beach this morning but rain storms are here so I guess its watch TV and play on the computer.
Still no sound on two out three O.O's installs but your v3.1 sound all works, searched the forums and google for a fix and NOTHIN! fixes it, I hate pulse-audio !@#$%^&*...

Figured you were, just like telling people I've been hanging out at the beach. :)

196278 196279 \\:D/

We've got a slight chance of showers over the weekend, but only 30%, so the weekend might not be ruined.

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 02:13 PM
If you use the righthotcorner extension I noticed that it still works but reports an error after the recent gnome-shell update. This is how I eliminated that error: 196281

If you've attempted to use the activity-journal extension (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/gnome-shell-activity-journal-with.html) you need to edit it's extension.js too: 196283

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Recent updates may have broken a couple extensions, if you are unable to login to your Gnome 3.0 shell desktop I recommend that you download the most recent gNatty Extensions, link is near bottom of post #1. (Make note of your weather settings if you replace that extension)

I have made some modifications to a couple of them so they no longer seem to cause a problem & continue to cooperate with each other.

libihero
June 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM
for some reason the notifications for chat stopped coming up... u know of any way to fix it? :(

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 08:24 PM
for some reason the notifications for chat stopped coming up... u know of any way to fix it? :(

How recently? I haven't encountered that yet so I'm not sure. There must have been some pretty major changes to gnome-shell or some other package today though, hopefully it's just a short term glitch and a quick update might fix it.

I have noticed that Empathy's behavior has changed lately, I used to be able to get the old chat, now it seems I'm forced to use the gnome shell method of it being an extension of the message tray.

Are you using the app@indicator extension that displays the icon in the top panel? Or the default setup with the icon displayed in the message tray?

Sorry for all the questions but since people can mix/match & disable or uninstall there are a lot of possibilities. :)

bulldog
June 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Are we talking about the 32bit version here?
Because on the 64bit there were no update today,and all seems to work fine.
No problems with extensions in general, or the right hot corner in particular.

cbowman57
June 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Are we talking about the 32bit version here?
Because on the 64bit there were no update today,and all seems to work fine.
No problems with extensions in general, or the right hot corner in particular.

If everything is working for you don't mess with it. ;)

I haven't used this particular installation (64-bit) for about 5 days so when I booted up there were quite a few updates, mutter, gnome-shell, etc.. when I tried to log back in it kicked me back to the login screen, I had to eliminate extensions until I found the culprits so I could use them again. Works fine now.

The righthotcorner error wasn't preventing it from working, there was just an error message in looking glass so I tried something and it made the error go away. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (wish I could follow my own advice). :lol: